PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr: "I think it's become almost impossible to play defense"

eliteballer
01-24-2023, 12:54 AM
"I think it's been an evolution over the last five or six years and some of it is [the] pace of play; everybody decided to play faster," Kerr said. "Some of it is the influence of Steph [Curry] just shooting from where he does; now you're seeing so many guys come across mid-court and pull up from the logo. That's kind of common to see that in any NBA game now."

"I think a lot of it is the rules," Kerr said. "The NBA has really slanted the rules towards the offensive player. You're seeing the offensive guys really gain advantages in so many different situations. I think it's become almost impossible to play defense in a lot of cases the refs will tell you 'He wasn't in legal guarding position,' and you're like, 'Yeah, but he barreled over my guy.' What is legal guarding position if somebody just runs right through you?

"But this is the way the league has gone over the last decade; it's really become more open and free and mostly with positive results, but I think we've gone a little bit overboard and we've taken away the power of some of the things that defense can do."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/steve-kerr-thinks-players-don-t-play-good-defense-because-of-stephen-curry-and-the-rules-in-the-nba/ar-AA16Ee9R?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d21b579ecdc34850bf383794cfd97665

theman93
01-24-2023, 01:06 AM
Which explains the scoring outbursts we've seen. They need to let these guys play more. It makes players and the fans angry when they don't get a call they think they should get. Which ups the intensity.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 01:25 AM
So much for today's "more sophisticated defenses".

mr4speed
01-24-2023, 06:04 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/steve-kerr-thinks-players-don-t-play-good-defense-because-of-stephen-curry-and-the-rules-in-the-nba/ar-AA16Ee9R?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d21b579ecdc34850bf383794cfd97665

I think Steve Kerr has a valid point. For more see the "thinking basketball series - the evolution of scoring" for a detailed look at how the officiating has changed over time.

Axe
01-24-2023, 06:32 PM
Making halftime buzzer beaters from half court when you're already up by at least 20 points against lottery teams is the most banal thing done on the floor ever.

Full Court
01-24-2023, 06:43 PM
This is exactly what some of us on here have been saying. He's right.

ShawkFactory
01-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Why is this thread worthy? :lol

Full Court
01-24-2023, 06:50 PM

Would you rather see more Bronie threads?

ShawkFactory
01-24-2023, 07:11 PM
Would you rather see more Bronie threads?

You're certainly quick to jump to that, aren't you?

There is just no new information in what Kerr said. It's all run of the mill and has been discussed, and agreed upon, numerous times. And with OP there is an obvious agenda.

Again...not thread worthy.

Spurs m8
01-24-2023, 07:44 PM
Yeh and its such a shame.

Considering sport requires things to be played both ends of the floor, it barely resembles a sport...pure trash

Spurs m8
01-24-2023, 07:45 PM

Are you joking, cvnt?

Because this is the biggest problem in the league...its made the sport we love boring and not watchable.

Yet you'll back every pathetic b1tch bron thread

ShawkFactory
01-24-2023, 07:49 PM
Are you joking, cvnt?

Because this is the biggest problem in the league...its made the sport we love boring and not watchable.

Yet you'll back every pathetic b1tch bron thread

Your stupidity reigns supreme.

Full Court
01-24-2023, 07:57 PM
You're certainly quick to jump to that, aren't you?

There is just no new information in what Kerr said. It's all run of the mill and has been discussed, and agreed upon, numerous times. And with OP there is an obvious agenda.

Again...not thread worthy.

I'm just saying, out of all the threads on the front page, I find it surprising that you'd call out this one for not being thread worthy.

ShawkFactory
01-24-2023, 08:00 PM
I'm just saying, out of all the threads on the front page, I find it surprising that you'd call out this one for not being thread worthy.

90% of your posts are spent responding to people that I have on ignore.

I'm not going to call out a thread I've marked as spam.

Full Court
01-24-2023, 08:15 PM
90% of your posts are spent responding to people that I have on ignore.

I'm not going to call out a thread I've marked as spam.

Ok, fair enough.

ShawkFactory
01-24-2023, 08:32 PM
Ok, fair enough.

The solution would be to do what the NFL has done and allow defenders to get away with more of the perimeter (secondary). That would eventually incentivize scoring and ball movement elsewhere.

It’s hard to find a happy medium between what we have no and the early 2000s. Well at least it’s hard to keep it there without it going off the rails in either direction.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 08:35 PM
And properly call travels, moving screens and carries. The defenders are already at a huge disadvantage as is.

NBAGOAT
01-24-2023, 08:36 PM
all i'll say is there's a distinct lack of mention about moving screens getting called when he talked about rules favoring offenses haha

Axe
01-24-2023, 08:37 PM
all i'll say is there's a distinct lack of mention about moving screens getting called when he talked about rules favoring offenses haha
This.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 08:40 PM
This.
Except I called it out first in this thread :lol

Axe
01-24-2023, 08:41 PM
Thank you, captain obvious. :applause:

Baller789
01-24-2023, 08:43 PM
Thank you, captain obvious. :applause:

Couldn't quote and agree with my post since youre too emotionally damaged by me :lol

Post away Axey. :roll:

Axe
01-24-2023, 08:53 PM
Lmao bringing out her immaturity in several threads. Some nice damage control rt. ;)

Full Court
01-24-2023, 08:58 PM
The solution would be to do what the NFL has done and allow defenders to get away with more of the perimeter (secondary). That would eventually incentivize scoring and ball movement elsewhere.

It’s hard to find a happy medium between what we have no and the early 2000s. Well at least it’s hard to keep it there without it going off the rails in either direction.

The thing that bugs me most is the rip through foul. They need to get rid of that. There should never be a defensive foul when the player with the ball intentionally initiates contact.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 09:32 PM
Lmao bringing out her immaturity in several threads. Some nice damage control rt. ;)

I don't need damage control. Youre pretty good at damaging yourself just fine. 30k+ :roll:

Full Court
01-24-2023, 09:36 PM
I don't need damage control. Youre pretty good at damaging yourself just fine. 30k+ :roll:

He "damages himself" to pictures of mermen.

:yaohappy:

Axe
01-24-2023, 10:06 PM
All of a sudden, this thread is also getting derailed because of the usual suspects. Pathetic buffoons. :lol :facepalm

Baller789
01-24-2023, 10:10 PM
All of a sudden, this thread is also getting derailed because of the usual suspects. Pathetic buffoons. :lol :facepalm

Instantly goes to the victim card but with 30k+ posts and no life indicates him derailing more posts than anyone in the history of ISH.

What an achievement! :applause:

Axe
01-24-2023, 10:12 PM
Didn't know that 30k post count makes your sorry butt very sore, even if i never raved about it here. Thanks for the insight.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 10:14 PM
Didn't know that 30k post count makes your sorry butt very sore, even if i never raved about it here. Thanks for the insight.

No, but 30k posts in that short a timeframe indicates a basement dweller virgin.

Now you know.

Axe
01-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Projecting a lot of silly stuff about me to show others how shackled her pathetic ish life is to me, despite telling that 'i'm full of shit' in another thread lol. Ah ok.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 10:16 PM
Projecting a lot of silly stuff about me to show others how shackled her pathetic ish life is to me. Lol ah ok.

30k posts says someone else is a lot more shackled here. :oldlol:

Axe
01-24-2023, 10:18 PM
Oh the insecurity. ;)

Full Court
01-24-2023, 10:19 PM
Dingus on a meltdown. :lol

Baller789
01-24-2023, 10:20 PM
Projecting a lot of silly stuff about me to show others how shackled her pathetic ish life is to me, despite telling that 'i'm full of shit' in another thread lol. Ah ok.

30k posts says someone else is a lot more shackled here. :oldlol:

:oldlol:

kawhileonard2
01-24-2023, 10:25 PM
Which explains the scoring outbursts we've seen. They need to let these guys play more. It makes players and the fans angry when they don't get a call they think they should get. Which ups the intensity.

Exactly which means scoring records nowadays don't really exist since rules are too much different.

Axe
01-24-2023, 10:27 PM
Sex buddies on suicide watch as usual.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 10:28 PM
Exactly which means scoring records nowadays don't really exist since rules are too much different.
Thats why stats should always be taken with full context and not agenda.

Baller789
01-24-2023, 10:32 PM
Sex buddies on suicide watch as usual.

Incorrect. Loners like you are more likely to commit suicide than social people.

Axe
01-24-2023, 10:38 PM
Lol she still can't stop yapping out of her insecurity i see.

Full Court
01-24-2023, 10:46 PM
I bet dingus is over there stamping his feet. :lol

Unless he's in his merman costume...in which case he's over there stamping his fishtail. :roll:

Axe
01-24-2023, 11:06 PM
Funny how these silly ass projections exist just because they see other posters don't hate a specific player who's perceived to be the biggest threat to their hero. :oldlol:

Full Court
01-24-2023, 11:09 PM
Funny how these silly ass projections exist just because they see other posters don't hate a specific player who's perceived to be the biggest threat to their hero. :oldlol:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg1.looper.com%2Fimg%2Fgallery%2 Fwilly-wonka-prequel-release-date-cast-and-plot-what-we-know-so-far%2Fl-intro-1611093191.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=66cd0f5a786f7452ed1b90d47960d49578ae22fa22fc24 3c637e7d2d86608117&ipo=images

"Oh you cute little merman dingus you."

Micku
01-25-2023, 02:08 AM
I figure anyone who follows basketball would know that. The league made it easier to score for the perimeter stars. They have been trying to do that ever since 2004. You could argue since 95, but it really started to get more sophisticated in 04-05. And during the GSW era, they made it so the rules got even relaxed. Even LeBron was complaining about it while he was on the Cavs, I think during 2017 or 18 saying how they can't even defend them properly now.

It is what it is. The league knows that perimeter play attracts a larger crowd and high scoring is exciting. It's not just the rules tho, it's how they play the game too, to get the most efficient offense possible.

When this era ends, ppl will think this would be the golden era though. Others will make fun of it as being the no-defense era. Similar to how some ppl used to talk about the 80s.

There were a bunch of articles during the late 90s and early 00s that were hating on the game. Not just because of the defense, but they believed the game had gotten too slow, too iso heavy, and just not as fun to watch as in the 80s.

The mid 10s-till now, especially now, have been similar to the 80s but in a different way. Instead of fast breaks non-stop, it's drive and kick to the 3pt.

The league might find that balance again. And as everyone is saying, stats across eras shouldn't be compared. We should know this from the 60s. You can't compare those stats to the 90s. And you can't compare the 90s to now. At least, not without context.

Spurs m8
01-25-2023, 02:11 AM
High scoring simply isn't more exciting though.

Except if you're a low iq pleb.

Real sports fans who like actual battle hate this fvcking boring shit

Barely worth even checking the scores until the playoffs

Axe
01-25-2023, 02:25 AM
I figure anyone who follows basketball would know that. The league made it easier to score for the perimeter stars. They have been trying to do that ever since 2004. You could argue since 95, but it really started to get more sophisticated in 04-05. And during the GSW era, they made it so the rules got even relaxed. Even LeBron was complaining about it while he was on the Cavs, I think during 2017 or 18 saying how they can't even defend them properly now.

It is what it is. The league knows that perimeter play attracts a larger crowd and high scoring is exciting. It's not just the rules tho, it's how they play the game too, to get the most efficient offense possible.

When this era ends, ppl will think this would be the golden era though. Others will make fun of it as being the no-defense era. Similar to how some ppl used to talk about the 80s.

There were a bunch of articles during the late 90s and early 00s that were hating on the game. Not just because of the defense, but they believed the game had gotten too slow, too iso heavy, and just not as fun to watch as in the 80s.

The mid 10s-till now, especially now, have been similar to the 80s but in a different way. Instead of fast breaks non-stop, it's drive and kick to the 3pt.

The league might find that balance again. And as everyone is saying, stats across eras shouldn't be compared. We should know this from the 60s. You can't compare those stats to the 90s. And you can't compare the 90s to now. At least, not without context.
What's funny is that steve kerr himself orchestrated it when he took over the coaching for the warriors. (https://i.ibb.co/6YfvCDH/IMG-20230106-111446.jpg) Because of it, the team eventually became successful and as a result other teams also tried to follow suit.

Micku
01-25-2023, 02:32 AM
What's funny is that steve kerr himself orchestrated it when he took over the coaching for the warriors. (https://i.ibb.co/6YfvCDH/IMG-20230106-111446.jpg) Because of it, the team eventually became successful and as a result other teams also tried to follow suit.

Yeah, hahah! They used have this show called Open Court, even before he coached the warriors, he was hating that teams shoot a bunch of 3pt shots. Very ironic how his coaching career is playing out lol.

And he coached differently than Mark Jackson. Mark Jackson would have Curry play a more traditional pg role. While Kerr had him coming off screens, and playing more off the ball. Gave him more the green light to score.

Baller789
01-25-2023, 05:09 AM
High scoring simply isn't more exciting though.

Except if you're a low iq pleb.

Real sports fans who like actual battle hate this fvcking boring shit

Barely worth even checking the scores until the playoffs

Yeah. Too much of something is never good. Every basket doesn't seem to have the same gravitas. The league needs to check some of the $h!t going on.

Wardell Curry
01-25-2023, 08:47 AM
Even if you bring back handchecking and allow significantly more physical play on the perimeter, nothing is going to undo teams figuring out that spacing the floor with really good 3 point shooters is the best way to set up an offense, generally speaking without getting into specifics of off ball movement, etc.

Therefore, it's not just on the NBA league office.

Removing the 3 point line would be the only action the NBA could take that would substantially tighten up defense at this point, and that's not going to happen.

BigShotBob
01-25-2023, 04:49 PM
Even if you bring back handchecking and allow significantly more physical play on the perimeter, nothing is going to undo teams figuring out that spacing the floor with really good 3 point shooters is the best way to set up an offense, generally speaking without getting into specifics of off ball movement, etc.

Therefore, it's not just on the NBA league office.

Removing the 3 point line would be the only action the NBA could take that would substantially tighten up defense at this point, and that's not going to happen.

You're wrong though.

3 point shots are open because you can't even close out on them. It's like taking away hand-checking for Corners against Wide Receivers. Imagine being forced to give a WR breathing room to catch, that's literally what you have to do now due to the close out rules and freedom of movement. Players are scared of a 3 point foul so 3 point shots are open.

Bring back hand-checking, get rid of defensive 3 seconds so you can play a true zone, and allow players to fight over screens and close the airspace.

It would expose a lot of players today that rely on rip-through moves and initiating contact on favorable match-ups and switches