PDA

View Full Version : What would prime Reggie Miller average today?

dankok8
02-14-2023, 01:39 AM
It seems like he was born 25 years too early. Tailor-made for today's game IMO!

RRR3
02-14-2023, 01:40 AM
More efficient version of peak Klay with worse defense. There's generally a limit on how much guys who don't create their own shot score even today.

Soundwave
02-14-2023, 01:45 AM
24 ppg or thereabouts and higher in a peak year. This version of the NBA is obviously tailor made for him.

He'd be allowed to shoot all day.

Overdrive
02-14-2023, 02:57 AM
24 ppg or thereabouts and higher in a peak year. This version of the NBA is obviously tailor made for him.

He'd be allowed to shoot all day.

He was allowed to shoot all day in the Pacer offense aswell. He just didn't. There's so much weird nostalgia about Reggie. The guy was passive quite often and that has nothing to do with era.

BigShotBob
02-14-2023, 08:30 AM
More efficient version of peak Klay with worse defense. There's generally a limit on how much guys who don't create their own shot score even today.

Reggie Miller could create his own shot

Kblaze8855
02-14-2023, 08:54 AM
30ppg wouldn’t shock me a bit if a coach could get him to stop giving up on plays that didn’t get him open like he mostly did by the mid 90s. Despite what 25 year olds tell me by reading efficiency stats this was totally normal in the 90s:

“Superstars are supposed to go get the basketball.”LARRY BIRDTo a man, the Pacers were talking about how hard they need to work to get Reggie Miller better shots tonight.
Larry Bird, though, feels differently. Millerholds his destiny – and the Pacers’ – in his hands. But Miller’s hands have not had the basketball nearly enough. So while, yes, more screens, better screens, would be nice, Miller needs to go get the ball and, in a nutshell, be selfish. Yeah, it’s nice to spring a teammate on a roll. But the teammates aren’t going to be who leads Indiana to victory. Miller can.
So far, though, Miller has attempted just five shots in the final four minutes of the three games combined. He has missed all five. Worse, with the game on the line twice in the final possession, Miller never touched the ball. Great players find a way, Bird insisted, issuing a not so subtle challenge to Miller for tonight’s Game 4 at the Garden.
“We’ve got to set better picks … [but] Reggie gave in a couple times where he was defended well and he sought of gave in to it and let the ball swing to the other side of the court. With two minutes to go, I was sitting there wondering, ‘When is he going to go and get the ball in his hands?'” Bird related. “And that’s where we want it: in his hands because we know they’re not going to foul him and we know he can make that play for us. It just didn’t happen.”.

People openly wondered why Reggie was t doing anything. The number of big plays that would be Dale Davis or Mark Jackson trying to score one on one when they weren’t scorers would shock some of you.

Reggie would have a screen not clear him and just stand there and watch worse players lose them games instead of going to get the ball. And 30 years later I have people who were 4 at the time tell me he always took over.

If you could get Reggie to play the way his modern fans think he did he might contend for a scoring title with these off ball movement rules. He was legit as good as Steph off the ball if not better because he had more willingness to flash open and get a quick midrange or fadeaway that Steph usually won’t take. That guy would be open all day every day. He obviously can’t do it with the in his hands like Steph but he had more willingness to take what’s there not just threes and these days he’d find openings all over.

Get him to play like he’s the man all the time he’d be doing 30. But he probably wouldn’t.

SATAN
02-14-2023, 09:58 AM
It seems like he was born 25 years too early. Tailor-made for today's game IMO!

He's not playing today and there's no way to know how much he would average.

dankok8
02-16-2023, 02:02 PM
30ppg wouldn’t shock me a bit if a coach could get him to stop giving up on plays that didn’t get him open like he mostly did by the mid 90s. Despite what 25 year olds tell me by reading efficiency stats this was totally normal in the 90s:

People openly wondered why Reggie was t doing anything. The number of big plays that would be Dale Davis or Mark Jackson trying to score one on one when they weren’t scorers would shock some of you.

Reggie would have a screen not clear him and just stand there and watch worse players lose them games instead of going to get the ball. And 30 years later I have people who were 4 at the time tell me he always took over.

If you could get Reggie to play the way his modern fans think he did he might contend for a scoring title with these off ball movement rules. He was legit as good as Steph off the ball if not better because he had more willingness to flash open and get a quick midrange or fadeaway that Steph usually won’t take. That guy would be open all day every day. He obviously can’t do it with the in his hands like Steph but he had more willingness to take what’s there not just threes and these days he’d find openings all over.

Get him to play like he’s the man all the time he’d be doing 30. But he probably wouldn’t.

Good post.

I agree that Reggie probably wasn't as aggressive of a scorer as he should have been even in that era.

hiphopanonymous
02-16-2023, 03:42 PM
About 30ppg with today's format

RRR3
02-16-2023, 03:44 PM
People saying 30 PPG try and name a 30 PPG scorer who doesn’t create their own offense in the league today :lol

Patrick Chewing
02-16-2023, 06:23 PM
Considering his range and propensity for the 3-point shot, in today's NBA, he would definitely average closer to 30ppg. Maybe 27-28ppg. Reggie's only flaw was his size, but he could create space.

Hey Yo
02-16-2023, 06:56 PM
Reggie Miller could create his own shot

There's a reason why the league adopted the Reggie Miller rule.

AlternativeAcc.
02-16-2023, 07:01 PM
Maybe 16-18ppg?

Reggie Miller doesn't have the ball skills that ALL of the elite guard have today, which undoubtedly is the main factor in their production. They're just as skilled as Miller as shooters but FAR better playmakers. So they get the opportunities to score more. It's that simple. Miller played in a TALENTLESS guard era. In this era he'd struggle to be a starter.

Miller would be Middleton without defense. Decent role player.

j3lademaster
02-16-2023, 07:15 PM
More efficient version of peak Klay with worse defense. There's generally a limit on how much guys who don't create their own shot score even today.This is more than fair. Though he's never shown the scoring explosions Klay would have like 60 in 29 minutes.

NBAGOAT
02-16-2023, 08:42 PM
klay put up like 22 at his peak in a tougher scoring era than 2023, reggie could put up 24 and he did put up that one year. That foul baiting absolutely translates to today's game lol is what makes him better than klay. Then again modern game kind of requires your top guys to be ball handlers and playmakers which reggie is not so I can see situations where he's a 3rd option and doesnt even put up 20. Klay has been in an unique situation where he can really get up a lot of shots within the offense and draymond can handle a lot playmaking without taking shots.

Reggie was passive even with mediocre teams that means he likely be even more passive on teams with talent. Even bad teams today have mid 3's like porzingis, beal, kuzma or derozan, lavine, vucevic with multiple ball handlers. of guys who score over 20ppg this year which is a lot, maybe 5 cant playmake and some of those guys are bigs. Klay and Bojans are the only real movement shooters who scores over 20ppg.

theman93
02-16-2023, 09:31 PM
Well Miller's peak 3PA is 6.6 in 1997. Curry, Thompson, and Lillard all take almost double that at 11-12 3's per game and I don't think there's any doubt Miller would have similar volume (even Lamelo Ball is taking 10.6 3's per game this year), so let's just say he would take 12 a game.

If he take 5.4 more 3's per game at his career average of 39.5% he would average 28 ppg using his 1997 season. I think he would probably score a little more than that given how easy it is to bait refs these days.

NBAGOAT
02-16-2023, 09:36 PM
Well Miller's peak 3PA is 6.6 in 1997. Curry, Thompson, and Lillard all take almost double that at 11-12 3's per game and I don't think there's any doubt Miller would have similar volume (even Lamelo Ball is taking 10.6 3's per game this year), so let's just say he would take 12 a game.

If he take 5.4 more 3's per game at his career average of 39.5% he would average 28 ppg using his 1997 season. I think he would probably score a little more than that given how easy it is to bait refs these days.

this analysis is extremely faulty because you're assuming he takes the same amount of 2 pt shots too. He at least would be getting rid of some midrange shots for 3s

theman93
02-16-2023, 09:38 PM
this analysis is extremely faulty because you're assuming he takes the same amount of 2 pt shots too. He at least would be getting rid of some midrange shots for 3s

Why? 1997 was a snails pace, he would probably be getting more shots.

AlternativeAcc.
02-16-2023, 09:40 PM
Why? 1997 was a snails pace, he would probably be getting more shots.

You're bringing up guys who play nothing like Reggie and create the majority of their shots.

Reggie would be a poor man's Klay, so 16-18ppg

You nostalgia geeks are really low IQ.

theman93
02-16-2023, 09:43 PM
You're bringing up guys who play nothing like Reggie and create the majority of their shots.

Reggie would be a poor man's Klay, so 16-18ppg

You nostalgia geeks are really low IQ.

Klay is a poor man's Reggie tbh. Reggie's career TS% is 61.4 while Klay's is 57.2 lol

In fact he's greater than him in almost every single metric - PER, WS/48, VORP, BPM

AlternativeAcc.
02-16-2023, 09:51 PM
Klay is a poor man's Reggie tbh. Reggie's career TS% is 61.4 while Klay's is 57.2 lol

In fact he's greater than him in almost every single metric - PER, WS/48, VORP, BPM

He would be a 3pt shooter in this era like klay, but klay has a higher % on significantly more volume while being 10x better defensively

Miller is a 16-18ppg guy in this league with no defense. Fringe starter

theman93
02-16-2023, 10:05 PM
He would be a 3pt shooter in this era like klay, but klay has a higher % on significantly more volume while being 10x better defensively

Miller is a 16-18ppg guy in this league with no defense. Fringe starter

Nah, anyone who watched the two play knows Miller took tougher 3's which lowers his %. Klay also has the benefit of Curry sucking in the defense which has given him cleaner looks throughout his career.

Saying he would average 16-18 today when he literally averaged 25 in 1990 with a pace that's similar to 2023 in an era where less 3's were taken just shows you're a hater. Pretty cringe.

SaltyMeatballs
02-16-2023, 10:16 PM
Reggie was ahead of his time. If he was the 1st option on the team, he'd be averaging 26-28 ppg in his prime. If he was the 2nd option like Klay he would be putting up 21-23 ppg. All on high efficiency.

Hey Yo
02-16-2023, 10:18 PM

Does that account for or did you omit the 3 seasons that the 3pt line was shortened?

Just curious.

AlternativeAcc.
02-16-2023, 10:18 PM
Nah, anyone who watched the two play knows Miller took tougher 3's which lowers his %. Klay also has the benefit of Curry sucking in the defense which has given him cleaner looks throughout his career.

Saying he would average 16-18 today when he literally averaged 25 in 1990 with a pace that's similar to 2023 in an era where less 3's were taken just shows you're a hater. Pretty cringe.

In an era where there are skilled guards scattered throughout the league.

Miller is one-dimensional in this league and doesn't have the ball skills to generate more looks

He'd be a catch and shoot guy behind the arc. Klay is the best catch and shoot player ever. His Stata are rhe same with or without curry, so your point fails.

Learn ball.

theman93
02-16-2023, 10:27 PM
Does that account for or did you omit the 3 seasons that the 3pt line was shortened?

Just curious.

TS% before 1995: 63.6%
TS% after 1997: 61.9%

good talk though

theman93
02-16-2023, 10:33 PM
In an era where there are skilled guards scattered throughout the league.

Miller is one-dimensional in this league and doesn't have the ball skills to generate more looks

He'd be a catch and shoot guy behind the arc. Klay is the best catch and shoot player ever. His Stata are rhe same with or without curry, so your point fails.

Learn ball.

Klay averages less ppg, and shoots a lower fg% and 3p% in his career without Curry lol. Ignorant hater confirmed.

AlternativeAcc.
02-16-2023, 10:37 PM
Klay averages less ppg, and shoots a lower fg% and 3p% in his career without Curry lol. Ignorant hater confirmed.

Wow bro that 1ppg and 1% difference!

:roll:

And curry missing most of him time when Klay was older/injured himself isn't a factor either I guess

You just don't understand the game. Reggie Miller lacks the ball skills to be a high scorer in today's league. It's simple.

theman93
02-16-2023, 10:49 PM
Wow bro that 1ppg and 1% difference!

:roll:

And curry missing most of him time when Klay was older/injured himself isn't a factor either I guess

You just don't understand the game. Reggie Miller lacks the ball skills to be a high scorer in today's league. It's simple.

More than 1% bro lol. You don't even get to say someone else doesn't know the game when you didn't even know Curry not being on the floor clearly and obviously negatively impacts Klay. The eye test already told me that before I even looked it up

BarberSchool
02-17-2023, 09:18 PM
Entirely depends on who his PG is.

warriorfan
02-19-2023, 05:30 PM
TS% before 1995: 63.6%
TS% after 1997: 61.9%

good talk though

:roll: :roll:

rat poison

anyone with any ball iq knows he would easily be hovering around the 30 ppg mark

kawhileonard2
02-19-2023, 10:08 PM
About 30ppg with today's format

I'd say about 35 ppg in this era.

theman93
02-20-2023, 12:10 PM
Entirely depends on who his PG is.

Averaged 25 with Vern Fleming who played out of position

John8204
02-20-2023, 03:27 PM
Playing in Indiana...yeah I would say 30PPG, especially if you keep Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson on the team