PDA

View Full Version : Why the obsession with superstars doing the dunk contest????

2much_knowledge
02-15-2023, 11:25 PM
Every year, same crying in the comments. Who are those? Where are the stars?? Wont watch, its gonna be awful

Im just curious where did this notion came from that better player equals better dunker????

2014 had Lillard, George and Wall and its not even top 15

AlternativeAcc.
02-15-2023, 11:39 PM
Since LeBron refused to do it because it's beneath him.

You just created a pro lebron thread and you don't even realize it :oldlol:

Dope

1987_Lakers
02-15-2023, 11:50 PM
When was the last time a "supertstar" participated in this?

Look at the names who won this in 1984-1990 and compare it to 1991-present.

It's quite comical.

RRR3
02-15-2023, 11:57 PM
When was the last time a "supertstar" participated in this?

Look at the names who won this in 1984-1990 and compare it to 1991-present.

It's quite comical.
Paul George in 2014. Victor Oladipo honestly played like a superstar in 2018 and he was in the contest that year but he has never come close to that level of play again.

KNOW1EDGE
02-16-2023, 12:17 AM
Yeah people are stupid for wanting to see the best, most popular, most explosive athletes in the dunk contest.

Everybody wants to see rookies and g league guys. People don’t pay money to see LeBron dunk a basketball, they want to see Mac McClung!!!

SATAN
02-16-2023, 12:19 AM
I just want to see a good dunk contest. Don't really care about big names. Last year was horrible.

Hard to imagine anything topping Gordon vs LaVine for a long time.

bison
02-16-2023, 12:21 AM
It would honestly be more entertaining to see guys like ja and ant participate this year. Since the dunks are routinely bad it can’t hurt to have face recognition in these contests.

Real Men Wear Green
02-16-2023, 12:26 AM
People want to see the player they are a fan of shine. Sure the best dunkers on the planet may be completely unknown but this is about popularity not just the desire to see great dunks.

bison
02-16-2023, 12:27 AM
The whole purpose of all star weekend is fan service. It’s SUPPOSED to be a popularity contest. How are you gonna have g league guys and 3rd stringers in an *ALL STAR* weekend event? It doesn’t make sense. It would have been good for the event if Lebron in his athletic prime participated. Is he the most creative dunker? No. But he is explosive and explosion at the rim is more satisfying than gimmick dunks most of the time. It would also give him opportunity to showcase his ability and have fun outside his typical repertoire of tomahawk dunks. Even if it goes bad it’s still something people would pay to see.

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 09:06 AM
The only thing i could agree on is people wanting to see Ja. I get that. The problem is people never know the difference between a contest dunker and a in game dunker.

Heard people asking for giannis who btw, sucked when he got in

Ant is an in game dunker. Zion does the same dunks over and over.

Gordon and lavine were nobodies in 2016 and look what it happened

Real Men Wear Green
02-16-2023, 10:06 AM
The only thing i could agree on is people wanting to see Ja. I get that. The problem is people never know the difference between a contest dunker and a in game dunker.

Heard people asking for giannis who btw, sucked when he got in

Ant is an in game dunker. Zion does the same dunks over and over.

Gordon and lavine were nobodies in 2016 and look what it happened

I an not saying that the famous guys are better trick dunkers. I am just answering the question of why people are obsessed with seeing superstars do it.

On a side note anyone that wants to see James in a dunk contest can just look up his McDonald's game performance. He gave an almost exact imitation of Vince Carter. He may well have no creativity for it or just doesn't care. He would have won it if he did it in the NBA but he had no ew ideas.

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 02:09 PM
I an not saying that the famous guys are better trick dunkers. I am just answering the question of why people are obsessed with seeing superstars do it.

On a side note anyone that wants to see James in a dunk contest can just look up his McDonald's game performance. He gave an almost exact imitation of Vince Carter. He may well have no creativity for it or just doesn't care. He would have won it if he did it in the NBA but he had no ew ideas.

Understood. Who you got? Im expecting great things from Jericho sims

Patrick Chewing
02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
How many times can the same dunk be done??

In any event, it will be comical as hell once McClung wins it. The guy deserves to be on an NBA team, but of course, we all know why he's not on one.

Airupthere
02-16-2023, 02:26 PM
I don't know what the future of the NBA dunk contest is. We've seen much sicker dunks from Jordan Kilganon. Maybe it's not about the dunks but seeing your favorite NBA players doing their version of the dunks.

Real Men Wear Green
02-16-2023, 02:34 PM
Understood. Who you got? Im expecting great things from Jericho sims

I don't even know who's in it. I watch the dunk contests but the mate Robison years of letting a guy miss 5 times does me. I would like to see them treat judging like the Going Show. If a guy blows a dunk give him whatever score and move on.

L.Kizzle
02-16-2023, 02:56 PM
Probably because the dunk contest was built in star player entering the dunk contest. List of winner and biggest star(s) each year.

76 ABA - Dr J (biggest star in league) along with Thompson, Gervin and Gilmore (the other biggest stars of the league.
84 - Dr J (star), Sampson (1 draft pick) Clyde (top rookie) Wilkins and Larry Nance
85 - Wilkins, Jordan (top rookie) Clyde, Dr J, Nance
86 - Wilkins, Webb (drop off from previous season
87 - Jordan, Drexler, Chambers
88 - MJ, Wilkins, Drexler, Webb
89 - Drexler, Walker
90 - Wilkins, Pippen, Kemp
91- Brown, Kemp
92 - Ceballos, LJ, Kemp
93 - Minor
94 - Rider, Kemp
95 - Minor
96 - Barry, Stackhouse, Finley
97 - Kobe, Ray Allen, Finley
00 - Vince, Francis, T-Mac, Stackhouse
01- Mason, Baron Davis
02 - J-Rich, Francis
03 - J-Rich, Amare
04 - Fred Jones
05 - J Smith, Amare
06 - Nate, Iggy
07 - Green, Dwight
08 - Dwight
09 - Nate, Dwight
10 - Nate, DeMar
11 - Blake, DeMar
12 - Jeremy Evans, PG13
13 - T Ross
14 - Wall, PG13, Dame
15 - Levine, Giannis (forgot he was in this.)
16 - Lavine, Gordon
17 - Glen Robinson III, DeAndre Jordan
18 - Mitchell
19 - Hamido Diallo (who he play for?)
20 - Derrick Jones Jr, Dwight
21 - Anfernee Simmons
22 - Obi Toppin

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 10:00 PM
Yeah people are stupid for wanting to see the best, most popular, most explosive athletes in the dunk contest.

Everybody wants to see rookies and g league guys. People don’t pay money to see LeBron dunk a basketball, they want to see Mac McClung!!!

Well , little Mac did a between the legs off 2 feet in a fastbreak. The only one ever to do this in a Nba game is...... Obi topin
Another non star. So thats that

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 10:03 PM
I just want to see a good dunk contest. Don't really care about big names. Last year was horrible.

Hard to imagine anything topping Gordon vs LaVine for a long time.

Agreed. But the year before when cassius stantley got absolutely robbed was even worse. It happens every 3-4, we are due to have a great one soon

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 10:04 PM
I don't even know who's in it. I watch the dunk contests but the mate Robison years of letting a guy miss 5 times does me. I would like to see them treat judging like the Going Show. If a guy blows a dunk give him whatever score and move on.

That will make them scared to miss and wont even try anything new or crazy

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 10:08 PM
Probably because the dunk contest was built in star player entering the dunk contest. List of winner and biggest star(s) each year.

76 ABA - Dr J (biggest star in league) along with Thompson, Gervin and Gilmore (the other biggest stars of the league.
84 - Dr J (star), Sampson (1 draft pick) Clyde (top rookie) Wilkins and Larry Nance
85 - Wilkins, Jordan (top rookie) Clyde, Dr J, Nance
86 - Wilkins, Webb (drop off from previous season
87 - Jordan, Drexler, Chambers
88 - MJ, Wilkins, Drexler, Webb
89 - Drexler, Walker
90 - Wilkins, Pippen, Kemp
91- Brown, Kemp
92 - Ceballos, LJ, Kemp
93 - Minor
94 - Rider, Kemp
95 - Minor
96 - Barry, Stackhouse, Finley
97 - Kobe, Ray Allen, Finley
00 - Vince, Francis, T-Mac, Stackhouse
01- Mason, Baron Davis
02 - J-Rich, Francis
03 - J-Rich, Amare
04 - Fred Jones
05 - J Smith, Amare
06 - Nate, Iggy
07 - Green, Dwight
08 - Dwight
09 - Nate, Dwight
10 - Nate, DeMar
11 - Blake, DeMar
12 - Jeremy Evans, PG13
13 - T Ross
14 - Wall, PG13, Dame
15 - Levine, Giannis (forgot he was in this.)
16 - Lavine, Gordon
17 - Glen Robinson III, DeAndre Jordan
18 - Mitchell
19 - Hamido Diallo (who he play for?)
20 - Derrick Jones Jr, Dwight
21 - Anfernee Simmons
22 - Obi Toppin

At least 10 of those winners who killed it were not even close to allstar level

2much_knowledge
02-16-2023, 10:11 PM
I don't know what the future of the NBA dunk contest is. We've seen much sicker dunks from Jordan Kilganon. Maybe it's not about the dunks but seeing your favorite NBA players doing their version of the dunks.

Yup. I met him a couple of times and dunked with him and isiah rivera ( if you know who he is) i wish i knew how to post pictures in here.

Real Men Wear Green
02-16-2023, 10:24 PM
That will make them scared to miss and wont even try anything new or crazy

Nate Robinson needed to be scared to miss 10 dunks. Crap was ridiculous. Anyway the benefit to having relative unknowns is that they will go out there and try crazy dunks to make a name for themselves. They have a guy that is on a 10 day contract from Philly but has mainly been a GLeague player. He's gonna go in there trying to stand out regardless.

SATAN
02-16-2023, 11:16 PM
Only just seen Mac McClung is in it this year. Harold Miner is one of the judges. Interesting.

nayte
02-17-2023, 04:35 AM
I know it's not technically NBA players but open it to the pro dunkers at least it will generate interest

ImKobe
02-17-2023, 10:15 AM

Yeah. It's just more exciting to watch when you have All-Star level players competing for the slam dunk title, even if the quality of the dunks aren't as good.

Jasper
02-17-2023, 11:30 AM
How many times can the same dunk be done??

In any event, it will be comical as hell once McClung wins it. The guy deserves to be on an NBA team, but of course, we all know why he's not on one. 10 4

Dunk contest should be dropped or made into a pre game all-star competition.
Each starter gets one dunk , fans have electronic devices (ie- maybe their phones) and vote for best dunk , and be done with it.

I would really like to see a horse game between all-stars round robin of 10 players.
I think that would be more entertaining... specially with dub

HylianNightmare
02-17-2023, 12:39 PM

This. How the hell is this a thread

2much_knowledge
02-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Yeah. It's just more exciting to watch when you have All-Star level players competing for the slam dunk title, even if the quality of the dunks aren't as good.

I desagree 100%. I dont care for watching lebron doing a one foot between the legs when jackson hayes and obi topin do them in game.
Or watching anthony edwards do a windmill when zion does a 360 windmill in games. Its about dunk PROGRESION. Want allstars? Wait till sunday

BarberSchool
02-17-2023, 08:58 PM
Because if you're a superstar who is one of the premier athletes in the entire league, and YOU DON'T even ENTER the dunk contest .... you're a coward.

BarberSchool
02-17-2023, 09:08 PM
Only just seen Mac McClung is in it this year. Harold Miner is one of the judges. Interesting.With how great Mac can do powerful double pump reverses, he's def gonna wear Harold miner jersey and do a sick deep double pump reverse to open it.

Has anyone ever done the jordan Kilgannon "behind myself' dunk in an NBA dunk contest ? mac can do that too.

hateraid
02-18-2023, 12:05 AM
The game is different now where everyone is an athlete. They weren't as athletic then so freak athletes had an edge. Nique, Doc, Jordan, Clyde, etc. predicated on being more athletic than the next. The league just caught up

2much_knowledge
02-19-2023, 01:49 AM

Come again?? Lolol.

bison
02-19-2023, 03:14 AM
Come again?? Lolol.

Not understanding sarcasm?

Well despite KNOW1EDGE’s sarcasm (and 2much_knowledge’s ability to understand it) Mac Mclung does provide fodder for the NBA on what to do with the dunk contest.

This was a decent completion and had nice dunks (and lame ones) but it still doesn’t make up for the consecutive of years of bad dunk contests to say that the competition has been saved in any meaningful. But I bring up Mac because he is a g leaguer, and his performance might suggest that the nba might be better off inviting street ballers, minor leaguers and social media dunkers to the competition rather than scraping the bottom of NBA rosters. This is opposite to inviting genuine superstars (and convincing them to compete), which too has massive benefits considering it’s ‘all star weekend’ not ‘g league star weekend’. Either way something has to change because doing the same old thing is not gonna get better results.

kawhileonard2
02-19-2023, 10:10 PM
Since LeBron refused to do it because it's beneath him.

You just created a pro lebron thread and you don't even realize it :oldlol:

Dope

Lebron is a coward though. Switches teams at will and refuses to join competitions because he knows he will lose.