PDA

View Full Version : Is their any player who won the NBA finals

Bacchus
02-20-2023, 12:44 PM
With worst centers than Cartwright and Luke Longley?

FultzNationRISE
02-20-2023, 01:20 PM
With worst centers than Cartwright and Luke Longley?

Yeah.

His name is Lebron James. :yaohappy:

Kblaze8855
02-20-2023, 01:26 PM
It isn’t so much of an outlier in modern play where the center isn’t expected to do much. Perkins wasn’t any better than washed Cartwright and he started for the 08 Celtics. Joel Anthony I think on the Heat. Looney doesn’t do very much and he just won. Did McGee start for the lakers in 2020 in the playoffs? That’s who plays center these days.

ShawkFactory
02-20-2023, 01:26 PM
Yeah.

The 2016 Cavs center was Channing Frye :lol

Kblaze8855
02-20-2023, 01:31 PM
Nazr Mohammed and Oberto/Francisco Elson started every playoff game for the Spurs for 2 title runs. I remember liking Oberto though.

Centers stopped having to be great to win long ago. The Bulls might have started that shift.

hateraid
02-20-2023, 02:44 PM
Nazr Mohammed and Oberto/Francisco Elson started every playoff game for the Spurs for 2 title runs. I remember liking Oberto though.

Centers stopped having to be great to win long ago. The Bulls might have started that shift.

May have been before that with Laimbeer? If you replaced Bill with Cartwright the Pistons still would be Champs.

Manny98
02-20-2023, 08:39 PM
LeGOAT won with Udonis Haslem as his starting center and Mario Chalmers as his point guard:bowdown:

fourkicks44
02-20-2023, 08:45 PM
It isn’t so much of an outlier in modern play where the center isn’t expected to do much. Perkins wasn’t any better than washed Cartwright and he started for the 08 Celtics. Joel Anthony I think on the Heat. Looney doesn’t do very much and he just won. Did McGee start for the lakers in 2020 in the playoffs? That’s who plays center these days.

Loony's offensive rebounding was one of the main reason they beat the Mav's in the Western Conference Finals and wreaked havoc on the Cs in the Finals too.

Both teams looked helpless out their against him.

ArbitraryWater
02-20-2023, 09:48 PM
Joel Anthony

kawhileonard2
02-20-2023, 11:04 PM
Lebron lost with Shaq and Ben Wallace. So he had much better players and lost with them. Also need to consider guys who won for that franchise that drafted them and never won. Not guys who switched teams and stacked the deck and needed someone who won as the man as well.

3ba11
02-21-2023, 12:34 AM
No one won with less rim protection that Jordan

1987_Lakers
02-21-2023, 12:40 AM
Joel Anthony

Man that dude was awful.

3ba11
02-21-2023, 12:45 AM
1989 Cartwright........ 12/7 and 0.5 blocks
2010 Shaq................ 12/7 and 1.5 blocks

Horace averaged 1.5 blocks and Longley averaged 1.6, while all these guys averaged 1.5+ blocks for Lebron: Zydrunas, Ben Wallace, Shaq, Mozgov, Bosh, AD, McGee, and more

Full Court
02-21-2023, 12:47 AM
Cartwright was a solid role player. He's one of those guys whose contribution to the team isn't captured in stat numbers. He brought defense, leadership, and vicious elbows.

1987_Lakers
02-21-2023, 01:06 AM
I actually met Cartwright in SF around 5 years ago. I asked him who was the tougher player to guard between Kareem & Hakeem and he gave me the most egotistical answer, "I didn't look at my opponents that way, my job was to outperform them".

I didn't even say anything after that response. In my head I was like "Does this dude even know he was a role player the majority of his career?" :lol

But I did read Jordan's rules years ago and players labeled Cartwright the leader on that team.

RRR3
02-21-2023, 01:46 AM
I actually met Cartwright in SF around 5 years ago. I asked him who was the tougher player to guard between Kareem & Hakeem and he gave me the most egotistical answer, "I didn't look at my opponents that way, my job was to outperform them".

I didn't even say anything after that response. In my head I was like "Does this dude even know he was a role player the majority of his career?" :lol

But I did read Jordan's rules years ago and players labeled Cartwright the leader on that team.
He was actually a really good scorer early in his career. Injuries and taking a reduced role did him in. Some guys really only play well if they’re a featured part of the offense.

3ba11
02-21-2023, 02:23 AM
Cartwright was a solid role player. He's one of those guys whose contribution to the team isn't captured in stat numbers. He brought defense, leadership, and vicious elbows.

Cartwright was a backup for the Knicks that the Bulls made a starter, while Longley was a backup for the expansion Wolves after 3-peating as a starter with MJ.

And 2010 Shaq would've instantly started on any Bulls title team.

No championship team had worse post players than the Bulls

dankok8
02-22-2023, 12:40 PM
May have been before that with Laimbeer? If you replaced Bill with Cartwright the Pistons still would be Champs.

No.. Laimbeer was actually really good on both ends of the floor. Pistons get a lot worse with Cartwright.

Anyways regarding the OP Longley and Cartwright weren't bad players... Not stars by any stretch but solid role players.

WhiteKyrie
02-22-2023, 12:41 PM
Yeah.

But he had Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh :oldlol:

jayfan
02-22-2023, 04:09 PM
No.

jayfan
02-22-2023, 04:19 PM
The 2016 Cavs center was Channing Frye :lol

Stop it.

Tristan Thompson. Kevin Love when they went small.

Then Mozgov

Jasper
02-22-2023, 04:25 PM

doubt that , but your point is well taken.
Most centers in the past 30+ years are more defensive minded and boards man that a legit scorer.

That is why Ham is trying to convert AD to a 5 , so his outside mid-range shots affect the offense more than the defense.

My best example I don't have to look to far - Lopez.
he is everything- boards, defender- 1st, and outside stretch .

Look at Ben Wallace --- he was never a scorer , but a hell of a defender.

ShawkFactory
02-22-2023, 04:28 PM
Stop it.

Tristan Thompson. Kevin Love when they went small.

Then Mozgov

Mozgov played 6 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love were not centers. OP (on obvious troll..) CLEARLY states "centers".

I don't know why this is so offensive to you.

Full Court
02-22-2023, 09:31 PM

Obviously he wasn't even close to Kareem or Hakeem, but that's the right attitude to have if you're going to play to win a championship.

jayfan
02-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Mozgov played 6 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love were not centers. OP (on obvious troll..) CLEARLY states "centers".

I don't know why this is so offensive to you.

Thompson played center on that team. 100%.

Channing Frye played no more than Mozgov did, and he was a perimeter straddling jump shooter. No center by any means.

ShawkFactory
02-23-2023, 09:28 AM
Thompson played center on that team. 100%.

Channing Frye played no more than Mozgov did, and he was a perimeter straddling jump shooter. No center by any means.

Ok...

Joel Anthony was the center on the 2012 Heat.

The 2018 Warriors had Looney or McGee off the bench.