PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton's 1977 game 6 performance vs. Tim Duncan's 2003 game 6 performance

Im Still Ballin
02-22-2023, 12:17 PM
Two of the best closeout NBA Finals performances ever. But which was better?

Bill Walton Game 6 '77 Finals:

- 20 points, 23 rebounds, 7 Assists, 8 blocks
- 8/15 FG, 53.3% FG, 4/5 FT, 80% FT

Tim Duncan Game 6 '03 Finals:

- 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists, 8 blocks
- 9/19 FG, 47.4% FG, 3/5 FT, 60% FT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2c-WsvlbPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyeh4IYaBKE

SouBeachTalents
02-22-2023, 12:31 PM
I would say Walton's for the following reasons

1. He was going up against better competition. While no superstar, he was facing an all-star/All-Defensive player in Caldwell Jones, while Duncan was going up against a player most known for being gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

2. While the two teams had almost identical records, MOV & SRS, the Sixers had a more talented roster than the Nets did, including a top 15 player ever at his peak.

3. The Spurs had HCA while the Blazers did not. A Spurs loss in Game 6 they still get a Game 7 on their home floor against one of the weakest Finals teams ever. A Blazers loss they have to travel across the country for a Game 7 on the road, which historically road teams rarely win.

4. The game itself was much more competitive. The Blazers squeaked out a 2 point win that literally came down to the final play, while the Spurs won by double digits in a relatively comfortable win.

They're both obviously in the same tier as performances, and both eerily similar in production, but if forced to choose, it's hard to go against Walton imo.

dankok8
02-22-2023, 12:41 PM
^ Good post. Walton for me as well.

Im Still Ballin
02-22-2023, 12:49 PM
I would say Walton's for the following reasons

1. He was going up against better competition. While no superstar, he was facing an all-star/All-Defensive player in Caldwell Jones, while Duncan was going up against a player most known for being gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

2. While the two teams had almost identical records, MOV & SRS, the Sixers had a more talented roster than the Nets did, including a top 15 player ever at his peak.

3. The Spurs had HCA while the Blazers did not. A Spurs loss in Game 6 they still get a Game 7 on their home floor against one of the weakest Finals teams ever. A Blazers loss they have to travel across the country for a Game 7 on the road, which historically road teams rarely win.

4. The game itself was much more competitive. The Blazers squeaked out a 2 point win that literally came down to the final play, while the Spurs won by double digits in a relatively comfortable win.

They're both obviously in the same tier as performances, and both eerily similar in production, but if forced to choose, it's hard to go against Walton imo.

I agree. I believe the 76ers were somewhat of a "superteam" of that period. If the definition is simply the teaming up of top players.

The Sixers already had one of the ABA’s best players on board in McGinnis, who switched leagues one season earlier and led Philadelphia in 1975-76 with 23.0 ppg and 12.6 rpg. Collins had been the NBA’s No. 1 pick overall in 1973 and averaged 20.8 ppg the season before Erving arrived.

HoopologyPhD
02-22-2023, 01:58 PM
Walton is criminally underrated, possible GOAT before injuries

getting_old
02-22-2023, 02:19 PM
I agree. I believe the 76ers were somewhat of a "superteam" of that period. If the definition is simply the teaming up of top players.

the Sixers had great talent and sure could dunk and talk trash

they took the first 2 of the 1977 series, and almost nobody thought anything but a 4-0 sweep was going to happen

Sixers during Doc's era failed to meet its lofty potential almost every year, except when they had the 2nd best team and them brought Moses Malone over to triple-stack the deck

and then they dumped Moses and the top pick for nothing a few years later, Barkley says it's still too soon to talk about that move. maybe the worst in all of pro sports history

ArbitraryWater
02-22-2023, 02:20 PM
Walton.

8/15 >> 9/19

jlip
02-22-2023, 02:35 PM
I watched Walton's game online about 10 years ago. The way he completely controlled the game on both sides of the ball was simply amazing.

Lakers Legend#32
02-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Walton's game was greater.

1987_Lakers
02-22-2023, 05:22 PM
That '77 Finals was the most memorable event to happen in the NBA from about 1971-1979 so I will go with Walton's performance.

The '70 Finals and the '77 Finals were have to rank top 2 in terms of greatest moments/series from the 70's.

'74 Finals was also a very good series but people don't talk about it much.

SouBeachTalents
02-22-2023, 05:31 PM
That '77 Finals was the most memorable event to happen in the NBA from about 1971-1979 so I will go with Walton's performance.

The '70 Finals and the '77 Finals were have to rank top 2 in terms of greatest moments/series from the 70's.

'74 Finals was also a very good series but people don't talk about it much.
Besides Willis Reed, I honestly think that Celtics/Suns Game 5 was the most memorable game/moment from the 70's.

dankok8
02-22-2023, 06:17 PM
71 and 72 WCF between Kareem and Wilt are also super memorable as are the early decade Lakers - Knicks finals.