PDA

View Full Version : 1993 All Star defense vs 2023

Gimmedarock
02-22-2023, 03:58 PM
I keep seeing these videos popping up trashing the D in the 2023 game. I laugh because they only make the 1993 game look sloppy & the players have no flow at all. No doubt the D could be better now but look at how congested everything was years ago. I just don’t think the argument against the recent All Star game is so clear cut. They’re good & bad to both.

https://youtu.be/zl2OJ6XRiPc

ImKobe
02-22-2023, 04:08 PM
Of course they were congested.. players shot less 3s in that era. Doesn't mean you couldn't at least pretend to contest some jump shots & layups to make the game more exciting to watch.

It's a player issue. When CP3 and Lowry were both in the ASG 3 seasons ago it became a real NBA game in the last quarter with them running actual plays and trying on defense.

They need to go back to East vs. West and give the players more of an incentive to play some competitive basketball.

Real Men Wear Green
02-22-2023, 04:51 PM
Definitely prefer 93 because it's a real basketball game, which is what most people want to see. Even when you factor in how the threes have warped the modern game the lack of defense is obvious. The only defense played was when Tatum and Brown were going one on one and even then there was no one behind either guy to protect the basket. I can't remember the last time the allstar game looked like a real basketball game. Those guys play far harder in summer leagues.

SouBeachTalents
02-22-2023, 04:55 PM
Of course they were congested.. players shot less 3s in that era. Doesn't mean you couldn't at least pretend to contest some jump shots & layups to make the game more exciting to watch.

It's a player issue. When CP3 and Lowry were both in the ASG 3 seasons ago it became a real NBA game in the last quarter with them running actual plays and trying on defense.

They need to go back to East vs. West and give the players more of an incentive to play some competitive basketball.
Bring back East vs. West and have them wear their own team jerseys. I always liked that better than the boring ass all-star jerseys they've been wearing the last 20 years.

bison
02-22-2023, 05:07 PM
There's something cultural with the problem of today's all star games where current stars think they're too cool to do actual competition in an all star game. When I watch recent all star games, its pretty clear no one wants to be the guy that actually tries hard. Maybe the whole concept of an all star game is an outdated one? A relic of the 80s, 90s? The whole point is for the fans, but they don't mind putting the fans to sleep by doing layup lines out there.

Dbrog
02-22-2023, 06:35 PM
Everything yall saying is definitely what I've seen. Most of the good up and coming players don't want to do anything that would make them look less than someone else...complete Beta mindset. This is where I wonder what effect it would have if Kobe was still alive or MJ became more vocal with these cats. Maybe its the pussified social media world these new players grew up with but it's honestly pathetic to watch...

Not gonna lie, it's hard to even watch games now unless it's the playoffs because of players ducking other players through "load management" or the overall lack of defense in these newer rules. Even the offseason loses its luster because it feels like NBA 2k where there aren't really rivalries or team pride and everyone just tries to join up to win a chip. This aint basketball and shouldn't even be compared to past eras.

Btw, was watching the 87' allstar game and it was nasty. Moses was taking elbows from Kareem and getting pissed. Young MJ was trying to show off but wasn't getting anything to fall and instead was gawking at Dr. J (his idol growing up) who was going off with sick fingerrolls in traffic. Oddly Tom Chambers got allstar MVP even though most of his points came of dimes from Magic :lol

Kblaze8855
02-22-2023, 07:10 PM
The players don’t feel they have anything to prove other than that they can win rings these days because that’s all they’ve been conditioned to care about. Kareem in one of his books was legit upset he didn’t get all star mvp over Willis Reed one year because he saw it as a best of the best game where nobody had a “But my team sucks” excuse and both he and the fans could see who stood out even among stars. He wanted people to see that on even footing team wise he was the best.

It was a pride thing.

These guys know nobody is gonna care about who wins this. Stacking rings is all that counts. So **** the regular season and definitely **** the all star game.

I saw a comment people seem to agree with on a Barkley video recently. Guy said “You old heads been saying he didn’t get any rings so why would we think he was good?” to the idea he was underrated.

There is nothing for these guys to prove except that they can get rings. The all star game isn’t worth any effort when they don’t see winning it or entertaining fans as a goal. And we know entertaining fans means nothing because of all the load management.

You have to be internally driven to prove a point to play hard in an exhibition.

These guys don’t have anything to prove in such a game. They know if they get rings and such and such doesn’t they’re better. What is winning the all star game gonna do?

SouBeachTalents
02-22-2023, 07:28 PM
The players don’t feel they have anything to prove other than that they can win rings these days because that’s all they’ve been conditioned to care about. Kareem in one of his books was legit upset he didn’t get all star mvp over Willis Reed one year because he saw it as a best of the best game where nobody had a “But my team sucks” excuse and both he and the fans could see who stood out even among stars. He wanted people to see that on even footing team wise he was the best.

It was a pride thing.

These guys know nobody is gonna care about who wins this. Stacking rings is all that counts. So **** the regular season and definitely **** the all star game.

I saw a comment people seem to agree with on a Barkley video recently. Guy said “You old heads been saying he didn’t get any rings so why would we think he was good?” to the idea he was underrated.

There is nothing for these guys to prove except that they can get rings. The all star game isn’t worth any effort when they don’t see winning it or entertaining fans as a goal. And we know entertaining fans means nothing because of all the load management.

You have to be internally driven to prove a point to play hard in an exhibition.

These guys don’t have anything to prove in such a game. They know if they get rings and such and such doesn’t they’re better. What is winning the all star game gonna do?
Which is why I think basketball fans are the dumbest on the planet. They downplay regular season accomplishments, saying the regular season doesn't matter, then bemoan when players load manage and sit out games during said meaningless regular season. Then they clown guys who don't win titles, no matter how well they play, then criticize them for joining other stars to win said titles, while complaining that nobody stays on one team anymore.

When the only thing you're judged on by the majority of fans and the media is titles, you are 1000% right, why the FCK should these players care about anything else? They have absolutely no incentive to do so. If someone busted their ass during Sunday's game, playing tough defense, diving for loose balls, no one would give a shit come playoff time when they got eliminated. NBA fans created this monster, now they have to live with it.

Dbrog
02-22-2023, 07:59 PM
Which is why I think basketball fans are the dumbest on the planet. They downplay regular season accomplishments, saying the regular season doesn't matter, then bemoan when players load manage and sit out games during said meaningless regular season. Then they clown guys who don't win titles, no matter how well they play, then criticize them for joining other stars to win said titles, while complaining that nobody stays on one team anymore.

When the only thing you're judged on by the majority of fans and the media is titles, you are 1000% right, why the FCK should these players care about anything else? They have absolutely no incentive to do so. If someone busted their ass during Sunday's game, playing tough defense, diving for loose balls, no one would give a shit come playoff time when they got eliminated. NBA fans created this monster, now they have to live with it.

I don't really buy any of this. Fans have always valued titles and competition, hence why Magic/Bird era was maybe the most popular era until Jordan came along (who won the most titles in the modern era). This still didn't make past players ring chase until the end of their careers and they sure weren't going to team up with the dudes who have been beating them every other game. Media doesn't value titles as much as you say because Curry has the same number as Lebron but you never hear media argue Curry as GOAT. Even with players chasing, if they thought it would improve their GOAT status they would clearly be wrong. Example: Let's say Westbrook would have won a title with Bron. No one would ever argue he was a better player than Nash or CP3.

I truly think it has much more to do with this culture where these dudes' egos are milktoast. They don't want to be seen as a failure so they just don't compete instead (injuries ala Vince Carter running rampant, or not competing in allstar competitions).

Indian guy
02-22-2023, 08:40 PM
From about mid-2010's onward the players collectively decided to just stop competing in the ASG unless it's close in the 4th qtr. It's been unwatchable for close to 10 years now. I don't even understand why the game exists anymore. The players don't want to be there and lord knows nobody wants to watch a layup drill to go along with 30 foot 3's and 0 defense. This game offers nothing to anybody. Just get rid of it.

Dbrog
02-22-2023, 08:51 PM
How do you think these "allstars" would react if the game was kind of like a mini-olympics? Let's say take the #1 rated international squad (which probably has some NBA players on it) and face the Allstar selections. It would fit the schtik they did a couple years ago with "USA vs the World" so Silver would be happy. You think it would be more competitive?

RRR3
02-22-2023, 08:52 PM
Players don’t want to risk injury for a meaningless game.

Phoenix
02-22-2023, 10:39 PM
Get rid of it, for all the reasons stated above. Have a one on one tournament, keep the 3point shoot-out, scrap the dunk contest ( McClung was a breath of fresh air but I feel like that was a one-off kinda deal). Replace the main game with a U.S vs World, maybe then the players will exhibit a bit of pride. But after Sunday's game, this has to be addressed. That was the worst professional sporting display I've seen in recent memory.

Full Court
02-22-2023, 10:41 PM
I keep seeing these videos popping up trashing the D in the 2023 game. I laugh because they only make the 1993 game look sloppy & the players have no flow at all. No doubt the D could be better now but look at how congested everything was years ago. I just don’t think the argument against the recent All Star game is so clear cut. They’re good & bad to both.

https://youtu.be/zl2OJ6XRiPc

In the video you posted, it looks like they're playing actual basketball. What we saw on Sunday barely had a resemblance. The difference is indeed pretty clear cut.

My biggest beef with the current all star is the pickup team format though. When it was East v. West, I actually cared who won. That's the whole point of spectator sports - caring who wins.

SouBeachTalents
02-22-2023, 10:51 PM
Get rid of it, for all the reasons stated above. Have a one on one tournament, keep the 3point shoot-out, scrap the dunk contest ( McClung was a breath of fresh air but I feel like that was a one-off kinda deal). Replace the main game with a U.S vs World, maybe then the players will exhibit a bit of pride. But after Sunday's game, this has to be addressed. That was the worst professional sporting display I've seen in recent memory.
I guess you haven't seen highlights of the Pro Bowl before it was scrapped. That made the NBA all-star game look like Game 7 of the Finals.

iamgine
02-22-2023, 11:12 PM
Have them play themselves in NBA2K. Show it on giant screen. I think that would be a lot more competitive.

SouBeachTalents
02-22-2023, 11:25 PM
Have them play themselves in NBA2K. Show it on giant screen. I think that would be a lot more competitive.
I'm not watching dudes play a video game :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
02-23-2023, 10:25 AM
Players don’t want to risk injury for a meaningless game.

The players play hard in offseason pickup games. In Rucker games. In drew league games they compete more than this.

This game didn’t “mean” anything:

https://youtu.be/OWp7T6E8ug8

Still more competitive than an all star game has been in decades.

Players play for fun and for pride among themselves. Hell they play harder in the preseason and that doesn’t count either. They make it a straight mockery.

Phoenix
02-23-2023, 11:01 AM
I guess you haven't seen highlights of the Pro Bowl before it was scrapped. That made the NBA all-star game look like Game 7 of the Finals.

I haven't seen a pro bowl literally in decades lol, so wasn't aware of that.