PDA

View Full Version : Would a NON-SHOOTING PG like MAGIC JOHNSON be an all-star today?

TAZORAC
03-03-2023, 10:13 PM
Could a player with the skillset of Magic Johnson fair well in today's NBA?

6'9 point guard, great ball handler, not a good shooter, can't go left. How does he fair?

Xiao Yao You
03-03-2023, 10:17 PM
:facepalm

TAZORAC
03-03-2023, 10:21 PM
:facepalm

Magic Johnson never impressed me, I don't like his inability to shoot the 3, or that slow release

FultzNationRISE
03-03-2023, 10:22 PM

6'9 point guard, great ball handler, not a good shooter, can't go left. How does he fair?

Is he good?

Can the Lakers get him?

SouBeachTalents
03-03-2023, 10:23 PM
Bench player at best.

Xiao Yao You
03-03-2023, 10:24 PM
Magic Johnson never impressed me, I don't like his inability to shoot the 3, or that slow release

you're too much man. One of the all timers in any era under any rules they want to throw at him :lol

TAZORAC
03-03-2023, 10:28 PM
you're too much man. One of the all timers in any era under any rules they want to throw at him :lol

That's a vague very generalized statement you just made. Looking at his skillset and transitining it into today's game, he becomes irrevelant.

Xiao Yao You
03-03-2023, 10:30 PM
That's a vague very generalized statement you just made. Looking at his skillset and transitining it into today's game, he becomes irrevelant.

Magic in space today and no one can touch him? :bowdown:

Im Still Ballin
03-03-2023, 10:39 PM
Imagine Magic leading the break with the 3pt spacing! Look at how the Kings thrive in transition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbRuCdINIU&ab_channel=MoreThinkingBasketball

TAZORAC
03-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Magic in space today and no one can touch him? :bowdown:

Imagine Magic leading the break with the 3pt spacing! Look at how the Kings thrive in transition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbRuCdINIU&ab_channel=MoreThinkingBasketball

Fox is a much better shooting then Magic Johnson and much shorter. Fox running the fast break has zero corelation to Magic running the fast break

Im Still Ballin
03-03-2023, 10:52 PM
Fox is a much better shooting then Magic Johnson and much shorter. Fox running the fast break has zero corelation to Magic running the fast break

Magic was a good jump shooter bro. Maybe better than Fox - he was flirting with 50/40/90 status toward the end of his career.

Xiao Yao You
03-03-2023, 10:52 PM

Magic is one of the greatest ever. Fox is a nice player

Xiao Yao You
03-03-2023, 10:53 PM
Magic was a good jump shooter bro. Maybe better than Fox - he was flirting with 50/40/90 status toward the end of his career.

I'd certainly take him over Fox as far as shooting and pretty much anything else. Fox is faster

SouBeachTalents
03-03-2023, 11:03 PM
Why the fck are you guys debating this absolute clown :oldlol: Literally trying to argue with him that Magic would be good in this era.

Chick Stern
03-04-2023, 12:06 AM
Magic is one of the greatest ever. Fox is a nice player
If not for the HIV, he would be considered the GOAT.
75% of his career in the Finals.
Unmatched court vision.
No player has EVER done what he did the final game of his rookie year.

Phoenix
03-04-2023, 07:04 AM
G-leaguer at best, probably enters dunk contest to make a name for himself.

Manny98
03-04-2023, 07:52 AM
I mean Simmons was a 3 time all star so....

Replay32
03-04-2023, 09:28 AM
Yes he would be an all-star today tomorrow and yesterday. Also Magic wasn't a non-shooter. He developed a solid mid-range jumper. Magic had a floater and an great touch around the rim. Magic also was a beast in the post. Passing and scoring. He had a unguardable baby hook shot and a spin move/drop step counter. If you doubled him in the post he would pick you apart with the pass. Magic also became a better 3 point shooter as he got older. Although he wasn't always consistently great, he had a couple seasons where he shot 38% on very few attempts. Magic was also a great freethrow shoote. He's had years were he shot over 90 percent. Magic was also clutch and has many game winning/tying shots. Magic could play in any era and would be a beast today in this fast paced 3 point shooting era.

Replay32
03-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Magic can't go left? Magic could finish with both hands.

https://youtu.be/JTROFcag-qc?t=356

https://youtu.be/JTROFcag-qc?t=410

https://youtu.be/JTROFcag-qc?t=699

https://youtu.be/JTROFcag-qc?t=508

https://youtu.be/JTROFcag-qc?t=454

tontoz
03-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Magic actually was shooting 3s late in his career. One year he made 106 3s shooting 38.4%.

For his career he shot 85% from the foul line.

OP molests farm animals.

Jasper
03-04-2023, 10:43 AM

how old are you ??

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Would Fox have survived the 80's and 90's would be a better question?

Hey Yo
03-04-2023, 11:06 AM
:biggums:

SATAN
03-04-2023, 11:06 AM
Would Fox have survived the 80's and 90's would be a better question?

Yes. Why not?

Kenny Anderson was an all star. Not sure why you think Fox would struggle.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2023, 11:09 AM
Yes. Why not?

Kenny Anderson was an all star. Not sure why you think Fox would struggle.

it was a different game. Guys could touch him. He's not big. No free layups

SATAN
03-04-2023, 11:13 AM
it was a different game. Guys could touch him. He's not big. No free layups

He was smaller than Fox. Fox has been playing greater than I remember Kenny ever playing. Has more heart.

Stop being a boomer.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2023, 11:18 AM
He was smaller than Fox. Fox has been playing greater than I remember Kenny ever playing. Has more heart.

Stop being a boomer.

Not saying Fox couldn't have played then but it was a different game and unlike Magic he's not one of the greatest ever to touch a basketball. Speed is what makes him special and it wouldn't have helped him as much when guys could touch him. Rambis and Mahorn aren't letting him get to the rim

dankok8
03-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Non-shooting? People gotta do a bit more research about the game before saying shit like that.

SATAN
03-04-2023, 11:24 AM
Rambis and Mahorn aren't letting him get to the rim

:roll:

I can't even tell if you're trolling or being serious. Fox is not going to be scared of these guys. Good players would be good in any era. It's just the mind and genetics. People who are naturally favored and interested enough aren't going to suddenly be terrible if they are put in the exact same circumstances as others who are good in that period. The old days are over. Athletes are better and the game has evolved. Let it go.

j3lademaster
03-04-2023, 12:40 PM
If it was Magic himself, then yeah he’d dominate because he’s just that good. Average defender that can’t really shoot built in the mold of Magic? I just don’t see it. I know Draymond and Simmons exist, but they’re versatile, elite defenders.

And anyone saying the it’s easier to score now also have to acknowledge it’s harder to defend. An avg/below avg defender back then would be a literal traffic cone and foul sponge. Unplayable without all time elite offense and intangibles.

Charlie Sheen
03-04-2023, 01:40 PM
And anyone saying the it’s easier to score now also have to acknowledge it’s harder to defend. An avg/below avg defender back then would be a literal traffic cone and foul sponge. Unplayable without all time elite offense and intangibles.

IMO Magic was not actually the bad defender he is remembered as. He struggled with the quickness of little guards but so did everyone else. When Denver had that Fat Lever and Michael Adams backcourt in the 80's that was not an easy assignment for anyone even the players with good defensive reputations.

I dont know if you were implying magic was a bad defender so I will ad an apology is i misunderstood ya :cheers:

3ba11
03-04-2023, 09:14 PM
If it was Magic himself, then yeah he’d dominate because he’s just that good. Average defender that can’t really shoot built in the mold of Magic? I just don’t see it. I know Draymond and Simmons exist, but they’re versatile, elite defenders.

Magic would need all-time scoring help because his game isn't designed to be 1st option that carries the scoring load - his teams cannot have that model where he's the dominant scorer, so he needs dominant scorers at the sidekick positions just like Lebron's game needs.. Luka probably also needs a Big 3 or super-dominant sidekick.. Westbrook, Harden, Nash and others need great scoring help as well.. I don't see why Magic wouldn't be lumped in with these guys as a typical ball-dominator that needs unbelievable scoring help to carry him

BigShotBob
03-05-2023, 09:49 AM
Magic would need all-time scoring help because his game isn't designed to be 1st option that carries the scoring load - his teams cannot have that model where he's the dominant scorer, so he needs dominant scorers at the sidekick positions just like Lebron's game needs.. Luka probably also needs a Big 3 or super-dominant sidekick.. Westbrook, Harden, Nash and others need great scoring help as well.. I don't see why Magic wouldn't be lumped in with these guys as a typical ball-dominator that needs unbelievable scoring help to carry him

Magic did pretty well in his return in 1996 though despite their 1st round exit to Houston

paksat
03-05-2023, 09:58 AM
magic would just post up everyone in this era, who's gonna guard him? Lol @ 3 point shooting, his sky hook was hard to beat back then with insane big men around the basket. Now? lmao

SATAN
03-05-2023, 10:02 AM
magic would just post up everyone in this era, who's gonna guard him? Lol @ 3 point shooting, his sky hook was hard to beat back then with insane big men around the basket. Now? lmao

Yes teams would never adjust at all. Just endless points in the post for Magic. No one is capable of guarding him. :facepalm

You don't know the modern game at all.

j3lademaster
03-05-2023, 10:12 AM
IMO Magic was not actually the bad defender he is remembered as. He struggled with the quickness of little guards but so did everyone else. When Denver had that Fat Lever and Michael Adams backcourt in the 80's that was not an easy assignment for anyone even the players with good defensive reputations.

I dont know if you were implying magic was a bad defender so I will ad an apology is i misunderstood ya :cheers:I don't think he was bad per se. Extremely quick hands, but struggled with lateral movement, which is why he has issues staying in front of the quick guards you mentioned. But those small guards have only gotten quicker, which would exacerbate things for him on that end. But yeah, I think he was average. Teams would hunt him on switches, not necessarily because he's the weakest defender, but to lower his offensive output as well. But like I mentioned, the real Magic is too good, with too many leadership qualities and winning intangibles that it'd be silly to think he wouldn't dominate. I just have problems imagining a lesser player with his style and strengths/weaknesses doing very well. Or getting playing time at all.

j3lademaster
03-05-2023, 10:33 AM
Magic would need all-time scoring help because his game isn't designed to be 1st option that carries the scoring load - his teams cannot have that model where he's the dominant scorer, so he needs dominant scorers at the sidekick positions just like Lebron's game needs.. Luka probably also needs a Big 3 or super-dominant sidekick.. Westbrook, Harden, Nash and others need great scoring help as well.. I don't see why Magic wouldn't be lumped in with these guys as a typical ball-dominator that needs unbelievable scoring help to carry himSo I do like and agree with your take about dominant midrange killers being the easiest to build around. I've had multiple posts here talking about KD shooting 60% from 10-16 being much better than 40% from 3, even though mathematically the points are the same. In theory at least. The midrange is the most available, consistent shot for a shotcreator so it's the most reliable option for when you need a basket to: hit a gamewinner, stop the bleeding when the other team's on a run(singlehandedly saving your team precious timeouts down a stretch), and just forcing gravity at another spot on the court. We saw Middleton put away close games against the Suns in the finals because he's a good midrange player. KD constantly staved off Milwaukee runs when his shooters couldn't throw it in the ocean in the 21 playoffs. I can go on and on about these guys, but you're being disingenuous about Magic. He's a much better floor general than any of the guys you mentioned, even Lebron. His leadership and intangibles make him the exception to your rule.

paksat
03-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Yes teams would never adjust at all. Just endless points in the post for Magic. No one is capable of guarding him. :facepalm

the modern game is 180 points at the all star game with layup lines and 3 point lines

the modern game is a running joke, no one in the 90s looked at the 80s and laughed at them. No one in the 2000s looked at the 90s and laughed at them

EVERYONE from the beginning of the nba is laughing at this generation

j3lademaster
03-05-2023, 03:00 PM
the modern game is 180 points at the all star game with layup lines and 3 point lines

the modern game is a running joke, no one in the 90s looked at the 80s and laughed at them. No one in the 2000s looked at the 90s and laughed at them

EVERYONE from the beginning of the nba is laughing at this generation

That simply isn't true.

My era, you always think that's the greatest era. But I'm not so sure anymore.

-Larry Bird

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2641474-larry-bird-says-current-era-may-be-greatest-in-nba-history

Lakers Legend#32
03-06-2023, 04:26 AM
Magic put up a lot of points in the second half of his career.

Celtics 1825
03-06-2023, 05:10 AM
Yes.

In China.

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2023, 11:30 AM
Magic put up a lot of points in the second half of his career.

and could take over a game anytime he wanted. Just because he didn't score doesn't mean he couldn't

SATAN
03-06-2023, 11:37 AM
Wonder how he would react to not getting selected. Like this maybe?

https://media.tenor.com/images/dafb11fa75967a98ca42fe0428c7b69b/tenor.gif

:roll:

insight
03-06-2023, 11:43 AM

Have teams adjusted to the Joker? You delusional if you don't think Magic wouldn't be able to abuse defenders in the post and pass out of any junk defenses. He also is a one man fast break, with the ability to rebound and run. This era just isn't physical enough and has too few true big men to handle a NBA legend like Magic.

These youngin are clueless.

https://youtu.be/MeGy8sWHltw

SATAN
03-06-2023, 11:48 AM
Not sure if you misunderstood me or agreed.

insight
03-06-2023, 11:55 AM
Not sure if you misunderstood me or agreed.

If you were saying no one would stop him in this era I agree with you and misunderstood your post. People forget Magic scored 42 points 15 rebounds and 7 assist to close out the Sixers in the NBA finals as a rookie. The lakers had so many weapons he didn't need to score like that consistently but he could score when needed.

SATAN
03-06-2023, 11:59 AM
If you were saying no one would stop him in this era I agree with you and misunderstood your post.

No. He would be good but not unstoppable. Like anyone else.

Not sure why people have to take shit to the extreme.

bizil
03-06-2023, 01:15 PM
Magic would be a SUPERSTAR in today's league! No doubt about! He's the GODFATHER of positionless basketball! We all know he changed the game being a 6'9 PG. But the Lakers FLAT OUT played him at PG, SG, SF, PF, and C at various points. Plus he's on the Mt. Rushmore of triple doubles. Magic was DOING THIS SHIT in the late 70's on through the early 90's! He was WAYYYY ahead of his time!

So in today's era, he could run the PG for DAMN SURE! His scoring skillset evolved over time back in the day. But at the same time, he might be a superstar SF or PF in today's league. His STRONG POINTS are so epic that it SUPERCEDES 3 point shooting or defensive issues. Magic's scoring skillset was WAY MORE POLISHED than Ben Simmons. Keep in mind BEFORE Ben's mental breakdown, he was a multi time All Star. Averaging 15-17 PPG. And was running the PG FLAT OUT at 6'10! So Magic who is a better and more skilled scorer PLUS the best passer of all time would DOMINATE as a 6'9 PG in today's league!

bizil
03-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Scoring wise, Magic FOR SURE was alpha dog caliber! He was ALSO the ultimate floor general. Who played most of his career on loaded Lakers rosters. With guys like Kareem, Worthy, B Scott, Nixon, Wilkes, and McAdoo. So when you are pass first floor general with that type of talent around, THAT PLAYS INTO MAGIC's biggest strength! But Magic could ALSO dominate game scoring at the drop of a hat! He proved that as a rookie putting up 42 points while replacing Kareem at center. Magic TOTALLY adapted his game and position for that situation.

When Kareem was declining, Riley went to Magic and urged him to be more aggressive scoring. From there Magic peaked at 24 PPG. So when it comes to PG's like a Magic and Isiah they were FOR DAMN SURE alpha dog level scorers. Just so happened they were two epic pass first floor generals. So they put a PREMIUM on that! The age of score first PG's make PG's like a Magic and Isiah very rare in today's game.

Gimmedarock
03-06-2023, 06:13 PM
Never been impressed with what I’ve seen of Magic. Not an elite ball handler. I guess he could guard the bigger players on the other team because guards would cook him. Would modern players want to play with him? Guys today share the ball handling. Would a modern player want someone who was looking to set guys up?

86Celtics
03-07-2023, 05:20 AM
Never been impressed with what I’ve seen of Magic. Not an elite ball handler. I guess he could guard the bigger players on the other team because guards would cook him. Would modern players want to play with him? Guys today share the ball handling. Would a modern player want someone who was looking to set guys up?

Is this serious? Are you for real? Not an elite ball handler? He is 6'9 and he wasn't allowed to carry and travel like today's guards. He is the best PG in history and you are asking if modern players would want to play with him?

jayfan
03-07-2023, 07:12 AM

There are endless points in the post available for a lot of people in today's game. But no one cares to play there, for some reason. Yes, Magic would cook all day in the post.

jayfan
03-07-2023, 07:14 AM

This has to be a troll job.

Gimmedarock
03-07-2023, 10:40 PM
Why is it a troll comment? I’m used to sharing the ball handling with other players & getting my shots in the flow. Why would I want Magic bringing the ball up & giving me the ball when he thinks I’m open? Other than Chris Paul, there aren’t many “floor generals” today. If I’m a good offensive player, I want the ball in my hands. Would Bron want to play with Magic?

As far as handles, would Magic compare to any elite guards today? I’m just saying I’ve watched some of Magic & doesn’t show handles. Great court vision no doubt.

SATAN
03-07-2023, 10:55 PM
Why is it a troll comment? I’m used to sharing the ball handling with other players & getting my shots in the flow. Why would I want Magic bringing the ball up & giving me the ball when he thinks I’m open? Other than Chris Paul, there aren’t many “floor generals” today. If I’m a good offensive player, I want the ball in my hands. Would Bron want to play with Magic?

Of course he would. That combo would be crazy.

eliteballer
03-07-2023, 10:57 PM
Uh Giannis can't shoot a lick and Magic was twice the player he is.

John8204
03-08-2023, 04:31 AM
Let me put it to you this way...would the #1 Draft pick who starts and leads a team to a title in his Rookie year not make an all-star selection in today's NBA.

I'm not a huge fan of Magic...I think two of his three MVP's were basically a joke but saying the guy isn't an all-star is to far.

ralph_i_el
03-08-2023, 10:12 AM

As far as handles, would Magic compare to any elite guards today? I’m just saying I’ve watched some of Magic & doesn’t show handles. Great court vision no doubt.

I started trying to respond to this, but my response was going to end up an essay, and it just isn't worth it. He didn't need Tim Hardaway dribble moves to handle the rock effectively, he could just body most perimeter defenders. What are you going to do, throw doubles at him? :oldlol:

Also, Magic wasn't a non-shooting PG. He just had no reason to settle for is own jumpers a lot of the time. He was an excellent free throw shooter. When you hit you free throws, it changes how the defense plays you physically (see: Ben Simmons).

Phoenix
03-08-2023, 10:30 AM

Are you saying that Magic coming along nowadays won't take advantage of the same slack ballhandling rules that current players do, to show whatever handle you want to see out of him? Not only that, but Magic was pinpointing passes through packed paints in the 80's. You take those same passing instincts and put them in today's spaced out courts?!

ShawkFactory
03-08-2023, 11:00 AM
Uh Giannis can't shoot a lick and Magic was twice the player he is.

They're completely different players.

Phoenix
03-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Magic is this era probably focuses more on scoring because the current league kind of dictates that he does. Of course the current league allows you to have your cake and eat it too as far as scoring and passing stats, so I can see him putting up the same assist numbers but with increased scoring. 24ppg( his peak in 87) might be his floor in 2023.