PDA

View Full Version : Who was the definitive guard of the 1970s?

L.Kizzle
03-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Of the leagues 77+ year history, the 1970s does not have a definitive guard that defines an era. I mean, the 80s had Magic; 90s Jordan; 60s before them all West-Robertson. But, who was the one definitive guard of the 1970s? Or, was there not one and just a handful that defined the era? Who was rue best?

1970s All NBA Guards

Four 1st Team Selections
Walt Frazier (Two 2nd Team Selections)
Jerry West

Three 1st Team Selections
Nate Archibald (One 2nd Team Selection)

Two 1st Team Selections
Pete Maravich (Two 2nd Teams)
George Gervin (One 2nd Team)
Paul Westphal (One 2nd Team)

One 1st Team Selection
Dave Bing (One 2nd Team)
Gail Goodrich
David Thompson* (One other 1st Team as a forward)

Two 2nd Team Selections
Oscar Robertson; JoJo White

One 2nd Team Selection
Phil Chenier; Archie Clark; Phil Ford; World B Free; Lou Hudson; Phil Smith; Randy Smith; Norm Van Lier

1987_Lakers
03-05-2023, 01:48 PM
Thats a pretty damn weak era for guards. Besides early-mid 70's West & Frazier none of them stand out as all-time great. Gervin is probably right behind them, but only played 2 elite NBA seasons in the 70's.

I know Archibald led the NBA in points & assists one year, but his team missed the playoffs I believe.

L.Kizzle
03-05-2023, 01:52 PM
Thats a pretty damn weak era for guards. Besides early-mid 70's West & Frazier none of them stand out as all-time great. Gervin is probably right behind them, but only played 2 elite NBA seasons in the 70's.

I know Archibald led the NBA in points & assists that year, but his team missed the playoffs I believe.
Another big name Earl Monroe made his only All NBA team in 1969 I believe. Nate missed Playoffs every year but once before he joined the Celtics.

L.Kizzle
03-06-2023, 12:46 PM
How good was Dave Bing? He might be the least talked about NBA @ 50 guard from that era.

dankok8
03-06-2023, 12:57 PM
A lot those guys were either early decade or late decade.

Late 70's Sonics with Gus Williams, Dennis Johnson and Fred Brown were a trio of really good guards.

allball
03-06-2023, 01:06 PM
PG - Walt Frazier
SG - David Thompson

L.Kizzle
03-06-2023, 01:34 PM
PG - Walt Frazier
SG - David Thompson
Both guys were never All-Stars at the same time.
Clyde last All-Star game was 76, and David's first the next season.

Also interesting, three guards were voted All-NBA 1st in 1977, but they put David Thompson in as a forward.

bizil
03-06-2023, 05:35 PM
To be honest from a GOAT standpoint, the answer is Frazier. He has the best career resume. To this day, he's gonna be on most top 10 GOAT PG list. When it comes to passing, scoring, and defense as a package at the PG, he was THE GOLD STANDARD. In my opinion, in the top three ever along with GP and CP3 for that type of package.

Pistol and Tiny PEAK WISE were awesome. And REVOLUTIONIZED basketball. But their longevity being great and lack of playoff success in the 70's hold them back. Gervin to me peaked and had his greatest success in the 80's. David Thompson's career was SET UP to parallel Gervin's. Not only for supremacy of the SG position. BUT his peak years were gonna be in the 80's. But the drugs and injuries took him outta the mix. And he didn't have enough years in the 70's to be considered THE GUARD of the 70's.

Earl the Pearl was awesome and revolutionary too. But his career resume doesn't match Frazier's. Even though he played the bulk of his career and peaked in the 70's. So from a GOAT perspective, it's gotta be Frazier. From a peak-prime level, some still would prefer Frazier. Many would prefer the Pistol. Tiny had the best offensive season winning the scoring and dimes title in the same season. And as I said earlier with Gervin, it's kind of like MJ in the 80's. MJ put in MAJOR WORK in the 80's. BUT he peaked and had his greatest success in the 90's. So MJ is CONSIDERED more of a 90's icon. With Iceman, he peaked in the 80's.

Jasper
03-07-2023, 09:15 PM
70's had some blistering fast and powerful guards.

They controlled the game , 100% of the time ...
I can't even list them all , but Frazier , Monroe, Nate the skate, Pistol Pete .. west , Goodrich , World be Free.. Van Lier , Bing ... these guys were all all-stars and hof'ers.
thanks for memory lane lol

I have said this before : Kyrie Irving is Earl the Pearl 101

L.Kizzle
03-08-2023, 12:25 PM
70's had some blistering fast and powerful guards.

They controlled the game , 100% of the time ...
I can't even list them all , but Frazier , Monroe, Nate the skate, Pistol Pete .. west , Goodrich , World be Free.. Van Lier , Bing ... these guys were all all-stars and hof'ers.
thanks for memory lane lol

I have said this before : Kyrie Irving is Earl the Pearl 101
What's your thoughts on Dave Bing? I think he was better that Pete, Tiny and Pearl.

Im Still Ballin
03-08-2023, 12:36 PM
Dave Twardzik.