PDA

View Full Version : Interesting criticism of Kevin Garnett

Im Still Ballin
03-07-2023, 08:30 PM
I came across this post critiquing Kevin Garnett's offensive style. Tell me what you think. It brings up some interesting differences between KG-led teams versus Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe ones.

Garnett's lack of an offensive paint presence limited his ability to generate shots for his teammates in the "high-leverage" areas. More of his assists came from the mid-range as opposed to at the rim or the 3pt line. The expected value of these long twos is much lower.

Kevin Garnett: Concerns about Offensive style
I just wanted to expand a little bit on my view that Minnesota's offense in the KG years was very uniquely constructed and based almost completely around his one of a kind skill-set as a high post hub, however this flawed build and playstyle was only capable of functioning with KG out on the floor. Thus, his ORAPM and similar metrics overrate his true offensive ability because he anchored a functionally flawed offense that relied completely on him and had a limited ceiling.

Timberwolves' Shot Frequency: % of FGA at Shot Location
Season ----- At Rim ------- 3pt ------- At Rim + 3pt
1998 --------- 23rd --------- 24th --------- 25th (out of 29)
1999 --------- 27th --------- 29th --------- 29th
2000 --------- 28th --------- 28th --------- 29th
2001 --------- 26th --------- 27th --------- 28th
2002 --------- 28th --------- 22nd --------- 27th
2003 --------- 26th --------- 28th --------- 28th
2004 --------- 29th --------- 27th --------- 29th
2005 --------- 30th --------- 21st --------- 30th (out of 30)
2006 --------- 21st --------- 26th --------- 29th
2007 --------- 29th --------- 25th --------- 29th

This Timberwolves offense was consistently awful when it came to attacking the optimal scoring areas on the court. It wasn't just that they were very bad at attacking the rim, which I mentioned on the last thread, but they were also nearly as bad at utilizing the 3pt line. When you combine their shot frequencies At the Rim + Behind the Arc, they were the worst team in the entire league over this time period. In these 10 years, they ranked dead last 4 times and 2nd to last another 4 times! With a player of KG's caliber, a very good offensive coach in Saunders, and a team with relatively better offensive talent than defense... these are just ugly numbers. I know KG led these teams to top 5 caliber offenses from '02-'05, but those offenses had relatively low ceilings because of how flawed their general approach was.

I understand that KG had poor help in Minny. I know the Joe Smith situation was unprecedented which put Minny in a huge hole when it came to adding talent to the roster. I know KG got unlucky when it came to Marbury and Billups both leaving. I know KG is an extremely well rounded offensive player. I'm taking all this into account.

But I just don't buy KG's offensive impact as being as high as some others do, based on how functionally flawed these Wolves offenses were. A lot of that blame goes to the bad Timberwolves franchise, but KG's high post hub offensive style and unwillingness to attack the rim consistently was a big reason for the Timberwolves' shot frequencies at the high leverage areas being so poor.

From 2001-2007, there were 113 players who compiled 1000+ assists. KG was ranked 15th in terms of total assists over this span. Tim Duncan was ranked 44th, Shaq was ranked 78th, Dirk was ranked 58th, and Kobe was ranked 16th. However, a significantly higher portion of KG's assists were in the mid-range area than the other Legends from this list.

https://www.pbpstats.com/totals/nba/player?Season=2001-02,2000-01,2002-03,2003-04,2004-05,2005-06,2006-07&SeasonType=Regular%2BSeason

Ratio of Assists being At Rim or 3pters: '01-'07 (out of 113 players)
Shaq: 1st
Duncan: 2nd
Kobe: 7th
Dirk: 15th
Garnett: 99th

This is one of the main reasons I voted for Duncan and Shaq ahead of KG. Those two guys were able to dominate the game inside to get their teammates great looks at high-value shot locations. They were literally the top 2 out of the 113 qualifying players at ratio of assists being at high-value locations. Dirk and Kobe were also excellent by this metric. Garnett on the other hand is near the very bottom, not surprisingly because of how much the Timberwolves offense was based around mid-range shots. Shaq and Duncan attracted more doubles and defensive attention due to their more interior based games, which provided significantly greater spacing impact than KG hanging out in the high post did. I'm sure Hakeem Olajuwon would've ranked similarly high during his offensive peak seasons, as the Rockets were built around getting open outside looks due to his interior scoring. KG's versatility as a big was great, but his non-traditional style for a big wasn't ideal for spacing purposes.

KG's flaws as a scorer have been mentioned before. His scoring relied on a ton of assisted jumpers, which combined with his unwillingness to bang inside led to his consistently poor playoff performances from an efficiency standpoint. So his scoring was dependent on his teammates to create for him more than any other player in this mix, and his passing was based around setting his teammates up for lower value looks than any other player in this mix. He depended on role players to make tougher plays on offense than any of the other superstars on this list.

These flaws often reared their head at the end of close games, when the functionally flawed Minny offense and KG's inability to scale up as a creator really limited their offenses down the stretch. In terms of career +/- in the playoffs from '97-'20, Garnett ranked dead last among all players at -87 in 263 minutes. His per minute/possession +/- wasn't the worst, but his career total was by far the worst (Thad Young 2nd worst as -56). And before you say that's because of his poor teammates, KG's +/- in '04 and '08 when he was on contenders in his prime was -45 over over 68 minutes. One of the reasons the Celtics' dominant 2008 squad played so many playoff games that year was because of their terrible play in close games, and KG certainly did not play well in those minutes (17/7/0 per 36mins on .492 TS%). One of the striking aspects of his poor clutch play was his inability to create looks for his teammates.

In those 263 clutch minutes during the playoffs, Garnett had 5 assists. Not 5 assists per 36 minutes. 5 assists total, 2 with Boston and 3 with Minnesota. That comes out to an average of 0.68 assists per 36 minutes over a 263 minute span. For perspective, Tim Duncan had 46 assists in 424 playoff minutes (3.91 Ast/36). This is yet another sign that Garnett's passing is overrated and that his offensive style was easy to defend in tougher environments since he did not create very high level looks for his teammates compared to other great players. The fact that he completely disappeared as a creator in clutch situations is unreal. Speaks to his flaws as an overall offensive player that get overlooked by some.

I would share this playoff clutch spreadsheet I created however it's a little cluttered and I wanted to finish up adding the 2020 playoff numbers and make it look neater before I made a post on it sometime in the next few months. If you don't "trust" these numbers, that's fair and I get it. But if you go on NBA.com and look up KG's clutch numbers for these playoff seasons, you'll get the same awful results I did.

Im Still Ballin
03-07-2023, 08:50 PM
A graph from 2015:

Shot Type
League Average Shooting Percentage
Reward for Success (Points)
Expected Value of Shot Attempt (Points)

0-3 feet
62.80%

3-10 feet
38.30%

10-16 feet
40.30%

16ft. to 3PT Line
39.40%

3PT Line (And Beyond!)
35.00%

StrongLurk
03-07-2023, 08:56 PM
KG is not a top twenty all time player in my opinion.

plowking
03-07-2023, 09:08 PM
KG is a Scottie Pippen level player - that got praise as the number 1 guy due to his stats early on.

Great players - but KG isn't better than Barkley, Malone, Dirk, Duncan, etc.

Im Still Ballin
03-07-2023, 09:11 PM
I'm trying to make sense of this information. It does raise some intriguing caveats about those KG-led offenses. I've always felt Duncan's greater paint presence provided a more robust offensive framework.

Real Men Wear Green
03-07-2023, 09:15 PM
The Celtics didn't go to Garnett in the clutch. He is an all-time great but Iam not going to concern myself with any kind of numeric ranking. No one is saying he is on par with Shaq or Duncan in terms of career. But the post is just floating over what the Joe Smith punishment did. 5 straight years without a first round pick is franchise crippling and it was done to them right in Garnett's prime. He needed a teammate like Paul Pierce the whole time he was in Minnie. He was always a great all around player and never an elite scoring machine for creating offense. No one is saying Garnett is top ten all time or whatever.

tontoz
03-07-2023, 09:16 PM
Yeah I thought at the time his offense was overrated. I didn't do any real analysis I just noticed that he didn't attack the rim much or shoot 3s which isn't a good combo.

paksat
03-07-2023, 09:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUaXbXD_F80&t=717s&ab_channel=MaxaMillion711

would disagree with all of you, a 7 foot MJ

SouBeachTalents
03-07-2023, 09:24 PM
I'm not disputing the arguments the author made, but don't you think some of these statistics correlate with the consistently mediocre supporting cast he had in Minny?

HoopsNY
03-07-2023, 09:31 PM
KG is one of the most overrated players all time, potentially the most overrated. I've made several posts about it on this forum though no idea how to find them.

FultzNationRISE
03-07-2023, 09:39 PM
I think this has been the consensus for a while, no?

His lean frame gave him a lot of defensive versatility but also made him less effective at bully ball.

Also, revolving or underachieving casts aside, Billups, Sprewell, Szerbiak, Cassell, Marbury, Joe Smith, Terrell Brandon, Fred Hoiberg (led the league in 3pt % in 04-05)… it’s not like he played with nobody. He wasnt carrying some outsized offensive load, just going by the rosters.

He was a good offensive player ofc but not a dominant one in any all-time context. Seems fairly obvious.

Im Still Ballin
03-07-2023, 10:08 PM
I'm not disputing the arguments the author made, but don't you think some of these statistics correlate with the consistently mediocre supporting cast he had in Minny?

I think the supporting cast was solid from an offensive perspective. But his high-post style does raise some questions about shot selection and shot creation. You could make the argument that Tim Duncan had less to work with offensively than KG did. At least until Tony and Manu took a step up around 2005.

The defense was the greater concern. But this thread is only really questioning his offensive impact.

I think this has been the consensus for a while, no?

His lean frame gave him a lot of defensive versatility but also made him less effective at bully ball.

Also, revolving or underachieving casts aside, Billups, Sprewell, Szerbiak, Cassell, Marbury, Joe Smith, Terrell Brandon, Fred Hoiberg (led the league in 3pt % in 04-05)… it’s not like he played with nobody. He wasnt carrying some outsized offensive load, just going by the rosters.

He was a good offensive player ofc but not a dominant one in any all-time context. Seems fairly obvious.

He did have some nice offensive pieces. It was definitely an offensively-slanted roster; Flip was also an offensive-minded coach. Detroit became a top offense when he went there in 2005-2006.

paksat
03-07-2023, 10:15 PM
I think the supporting cast was solid from an offensive perspective. But his high-post style does raise some questions about shot selection and shot creation. You could make the argument that Tim Duncan had less to work with offensively than KG did. At least until Tony and Manu took a step up around 2005.

The defense was the greater concern. But this thread is only really questioning his offensive impact.

He did have some nice offensive pieces. It was definitely an offensively-slanted roster; Flip was also an offensive-minded coach. Detroit became a top offense when he went there in 2005-2006.

dude shot 50% for his entire career for the twolves, what do you want exactly? It's gotta be flip saunders fault for not designing a better offense for him I suppose?

Im Still Ballin
03-07-2023, 10:39 PM
It's easy to look back in hindsight and say what should've been done differently.

I think the 3pt line could've been more of a priority. Wally could've been more of a focal point on offense. He did have injury concerns, obviously. What if he took as many threes as Peja or Ray Allen? That spacing would've opened things up way more. There would've been more high-leverage passing opportunities for KG to cutters and bigs in the paint and out to 3pt shooters.

Guys like Cassell, Hoiberg, and Wally should've taken more threes. More like Dallas and Sacramento.

It's very interesting how Minnesota fell off a cliff in '05-'06 after they traded Wally. He was having a career year putting up 20.1 ppg on 49.5% FG, 40.6% 3PT, and 89.6% FT. They were 19-21 with him and 14-28 without him.

Maybe KG should've taken a step back on offense.

Im Still Ballin
03-07-2023, 10:58 PM
The offense barely changed from '06-'07 to '07-'08. There was a 3.2 difference in defensive rating, though. It seems KG leaving had no real impact on the offense. The advanced statistics and play-by-play data suggest otherwise, but I question what those numbers mean.

2006-2007
Off Rtg: 103.9 (25th of 30) Def Rtg: 107.9 (21st of 30)

2007-2008
Off Rtg: 103.8 (27th of 30) Def Rtg: 111.2 (27th of 30)

Kblaze8855
03-07-2023, 11:00 PM
. The Celtics didn't go to Garnett in the clutch.

That feels more true than it is if you look at the 08 playoff run. You’d be surprised. I’m sure I could find my 10 year old post of clips of big shots those playoffs to explain it but I’m being uncharacteristically lazy. They got him the ball in straight isolations to put playoff games away it just doesn’t “feeeeeeeeel” like it. He hit a game winner in the Cavs series nobody even remembers happened. He and Cassell were the only Celtics to make a shot the last 10 minutes. He scored both late baskets to win it and Pierce and Allen both went scoreless in the 4th. I suspect most of us don’t even have a mental image of it happening.

He led a championship team in 4th quarter scoring in the playoffs and made a lot of plays you would “Oh yea….” about if you saw them but it’s like I’m making it up till I pull the footage. Weirdest thing.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2023, 11:38 PM
Only thing I'd criticize him for was being too unselfish like Stockton, Webber, etc. One of the best. Had the whole package at both ends

FultzNationRISE
03-08-2023, 01:15 AM
That feels more true than it is if you look at the 08 playoff run. You’d be surprised. I’m sure I could find my 10 year old post of clips of big shots those playoffs to explain it but I’m being uncharacteristically lazy. They got him the ball in straight isolations to put playoff games away it just doesn’t “feeeeeeeeel” like it. He hit a game winner in the Cavs series nobody even remembers happened. He and Cassell were the only Celtics to make a shot the last 10 minutes. He scored both late baskets to win it and Pierce and Allen both went scoreless in the 4th. I suspect most of us don’t even have a mental image of it happening.

He led a championship team in 4th quarter scoring in the playoffs and made a lot of plays you would “Oh yea….” about if you saw them but it’s like I’m making it up till I pull the footage. Weirdest thing.

I do remember this.

They obviously didnt go to him for literal buzzer beating threes, that would be Pierce and Allen’s responsibility, but they played thru him a reasonable amount in late game situations, and he was pretty reliable for them in that regard. Def deserves credit for that.

dankok8
03-08-2023, 01:47 AM
The offense barely changed from '06-'07 to '07-'08. There was a 3.2 difference in defensive rating, though. It seems KG leaving had no real impact on the offense. The advanced statistics and play-by-play data suggest otherwise, but I question what those numbers mean.

KG didn't just leave though. He got traded for 7 Celtics players IIRC. Minny got a lot of talent in return for KG and still declined noticeably.

Im Still Ballin
03-08-2023, 02:07 AM
KG didn't just leave though. He got traded for 7 Celtics players IIRC. Minny got a lot of talent in return for KG and still declined noticeably.

Two of those were draft picks that didn't play in the 2007-2008 season. Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, and Sebastian Telfair weren't exactly world-beaters. Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff made an immediate impact. The 2006-2007 team also had Mark Blount and Ricky Davis. They weren't there for the 2007-2008 season.

warriorfan
03-08-2023, 04:32 AM

if you look up clutch stats for the boston big 3 teams you would think it was pierce closing but KG had better numbers surprisingly enough

NBAGOAT
03-08-2023, 11:02 AM
You can create good shots with a high post big but you need a great system with a great passer(see jokic). Kg isn’t that level of passer. It is true if you don’t have a great system to create good shots you want the low post threat or guard creator. However tbf to kg, his shot selection and teammates shot selection also is a product of his own era.

ArbitraryWater
03-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Interesting.

I always thought KG was the ultimate sidekick. Not really title leading material. Unless you have a 08 Cetics kind of superteam, of course.

dankok8
03-08-2023, 11:40 AM
Two of those were draft picks that didn't play in the 2007-2008 season. Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, and Sebastian Telfair weren't exactly world-beaters. Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff made an immediate impact. The 2006-2007 team also had Mark Blount and Ricky Davis. They weren't there for the 2007-2008 season.

Al Jefferson was an all-star caliber big.

Anyways I think it's fair to characterize KG as an all-star caliber big on offense (as opposed to superstar) and an all-time great on defense. I don't think prime KG had major offensive impact but that was never an argument for KG. Garnett is a guy who is an ideal complementary piece on offense with his post game, shooting, and passing and a GOAT-level defensive anchor.

Xiao Yao You
03-08-2023, 11:55 AM
Al Jefferson was an all-star caliber big.

Anyways I think it's fair to characterize KG as an all-star caliber big on offense (as opposed to superstar) and an all-time great on defense. I don't think prime KG had major offensive impact but that was never an argument for KG. Garnett is a guy who is an ideal complementary piece on offense with his post game, shooting, and passing and a GOAT-level defensive anchor.

Big Al the inefficient black hole :lol

Dbrog
03-08-2023, 12:00 PM
The Celtics didn't go to Garnett in the clutch. He is an all-time great but Iam not going to concern myself with any kind of numeric ranking. No one is saying he is on par with Shaq or Duncan in terms of career. But the post is just floating over what the Joe Smith punishment did. 5 straight years without a first round pick is franchise crippling and it was done to them right in Garnett's prime. He needed a teammate like Paul Pierce the whole time he was in Minnie. He was always a great all around player and never an elite scoring machine for creating offense. No one is saying Garnett is top ten all time or whatever.

Absolutely this for anyone that actually watched his career. It's hilarious RealGM consistently has him top 10 all time. He never had the post presence of Duncan who worked inside-out or the range of Dirk who would work outside in. While it was impressive that Garnett could play point forward, the plays usually ended up with him posting up or going into triple threat position on those midrange shoulders and creating plays from there...as the data above discusses. I always thought of Bron actually as a rich mans KG where he would keep you in the game until the end due to his balanced skillset, but you absolutely needed a closer with these guys to win anything.

dankok8
03-08-2023, 12:10 PM
The article in the OP is a bit ridiculous as it just calls the Timberwolves offense "functionally flawed". They were 4th, 5th, 5th and 6th in offensive rating from 2002-05 as the article admits which if anything shows that KG can be the main piece of a very good offense. The Wolves were actually contenders in 2004 and might have won it all if Cassell didn't get hurt in the WCF. That isn't exactly KG's fault. In other years, his teams didn't have the talent to contend playing in the same conference as the Lakers, Spurs and Kings.

Mind you I'm not saying that KG was as good offensively as say Duncan but the logic used in the article is weird. Midrange shots are inefficient and yet the Wolves had very good offenses in those years. Kind of contradicts the article don't you think?