PDA

View Full Version : Superstars don't necessarily help you win titles

Walk on Water
03-11-2023, 08:05 AM
There has been a misunderstanding the last decade or so. Many players didn't think they could win, so they focused on their stats and became selfish. Basketball is a team game. They focused on numbers, but the numbers meant nothing as far as winning or contending. I do believe it's time that we stop being obsessed with analytics, if they don't amount to the ultimate goal, which is winning the NBA Championship.

Let's be frank. Luca Doncic is not a championship player. He cannot lead a team to a championship, even with help. Luca is not even a great shooter. But he can make fancy shots, tough shots, and he puts up a lot of points and numbers. Again, fairly empty numbers. He is an example of someone who can be talented but not someone who can make your team a real contender.

Ja Morant is a superstar because of his supreme athleticism. He doesn't have what it takes to lead a team to a championship. When he's hurt, Memphis has proven they can be just as good. So the only way someone like Morant could win it, is if the team was already a championship contender.

James Harden put up some of the most insane numbers over the past decade. Averaged 36 points one year. And I'll give him credit for getting close against the Warriors. But in the end, he can never finish. He's a superstar but not someone you'd want to lead a dynasty team. You automatically put a lid on your teams success.

Russell Westbrook. Averaged a triple double for 4 years. He didn't care about winning at all. The perfect example of how someone can be selfish and put up whatever numbers they want. At least give him credit though for being an action taker. Lebron was hypothetically the triple double machine, yet Westbrook actually did it and many times. Jokic also glamorized for it, but Westbrook remains king of triple doubles, yet it doesn't amount to any kind of winning. Stars are just brands, money.

Damian Lillard is not a championship type player either. He can score 60 or 70 points a game. But in the end, you cannot trust him to make the right plays to lead a team to the big dance.

** We need to stop glamorizing numbers and start focusing on who is effective at making winning plays. Trust your gut too, rely on the eye test.

Jason Tatum is probably more likely to lead a team to a championship than any of these players.

Real Men Wear Green
03-11-2023, 10:11 AM
Doncic could definitely win a title eventually. He may need to get in better shape for defense, play off the ball more and Dallas needs a better roster but he's too talented and young to count out.

HylianNightmare
03-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Just look at leEmpty

ralph_i_el
03-11-2023, 07:27 PM
Jimmy Butler can be the best player on a team that goes to the finals. You need at least one guy to be on that level in the playoffs to win. There are probably 15 guys right now that can be that guy, in the perfect situation.

Right now in the NBA team composition matters (getting more than the sum of your parts). Strategy matters a lot too right now. People got the wrong idea from seeing LeBron go to the finals constantly. There's not usually a guy in the league that can just guarantee a team a deep playoff run.

Walk on Water
03-11-2023, 07:35 PM
Doncic could definitely win a title eventually. He may need to get in better shape for defense, play off the ball more and Dallas needs a better roster but he's too talented and young to count out.

I don’t see it

Full Court
03-11-2023, 07:41 PM
It's true. Last year the biggest superstar in the NBA led a stacked team to the lottery.

DMAVS41
03-11-2023, 07:50 PM
I don’t see it

You don't see Luka being on a team that wins the title?

He's not only clearly one of the best players in the league, but he and his teams have performed better than expected in the playoffs in the 3 years they've been in it.

Also, almost all titles won in NBA history have had a superstar on the team.

Walk on Water
03-11-2023, 09:27 PM
You don't see Luka being on a team that wins the title?

He's not only clearly one of the best players in the league, but he and his teams have performed better than expected in the playoffs in the 3 years they've been in it.

Also, almost all titles won in NBA history have had a superstar on the team.

I just don’t see it with Luca. Need defense. Feel like Luca shoots a lot.

iamgine
03-11-2023, 09:28 PM
Lol it's basically you cannot win until you win :lol

Walk on Water
03-11-2023, 09:29 PM

That’s how it was with Dirk

ImKobe
03-11-2023, 09:49 PM
Luka can't lead a team to a championship but took a mediocre cast to the WCF & beat a 64-win team to get there.. Most of the ATGs don't win one until their late 20s or even early 30s in some cases. A lot goes into winning a championship, in most cases it's about injury luck and drawing the right opponents in the POs.

tontoz
03-11-2023, 10:01 PM
I don’t see it

I suggest glasses.

SouBeachTalents
03-11-2023, 10:03 PM
You guys realize OP is a trolling gimmick :lol

Full Court
03-11-2023, 10:09 PM

Has anyone ever won before they won?

ShawkFactory
03-12-2023, 09:37 AM

And everyone else.

DMAVS41
03-12-2023, 10:01 AM
I just don’t see it with Luca. Need defense. Feel like Luca shoots a lot.

I think it is absolutely ok to be skeptical of certain players / styles, but I think most people really need to guard against being so results oriented when team strength is almost always the determining factor around great players.

Like I've said before, I'll worry about Luka when he gets a great team around him and can't do anything in the playoffs with it.

DMAVS41
03-12-2023, 04:09 PM

Anyone that knows the game should have known Dirk was good enough to lead a team to a title after the 03 season imo. If not, I don't know how you could watch the 06 season play out and think Dirk wasn't good enough to win a title with a great supporting cast / coach...considering he beat the Spurs in the midst of their 2 titles in 3 years and then made the finals with anything but a loaded squad and at best, a below average coach.

I am all for players having to prove shit, they should, be people take it too far. Once you admit KG did not have any chances to win titles in Minnesota, you admit there is a spectrum of help that plays a huge role in winning.

Circumstances matter.

SouBeachTalents
03-12-2023, 04:17 PM
Bro, you are arguing with a complete and utter troll, he doesn't believe a single word he says :lol He just posts to get a rise out of people.