PDA

View Full Version : How much do you care about illegal screens?

Kblaze8855
03-11-2023, 12:20 PM
They happen. The Warriors are pretty aggressive with it and being so good off the ball attention is drawn so we get more people complaining about stuff like:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PhonyBoringBlackbuck-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GivingSelfishEarwig-size_restricted.gif

The Warriors screens have been discussed in passing for years. Many of you have seen Boguts comments:

“One thing that was crazy about that run was the s*** that I used to get away with screening, man it was all time.I knew if I was in Milwaukee and I set that I’d foul out in the first quarter, but playing in Golden State, when they started to become that underdog team that was building up, I knew once Steph or Klay got hot, the refs would be in the moment as well.
I could literally clothesline someone off the next pindown, I know Klay just hit 3 in a row, the crowd’s on their feet as he’s getting his 4th and I could punch somebody in the face on a screen, knock em out and they wouldn’t call it. Klay would get his 4th 3, and even the refs would go ‘Wow’ (and ignore it), it was crazy.
Then I get traded to Dallas to set those same screens and I’d get 3 fouls in the first quarter, It was just crazy with the stuff I used to get away with there.”

But before them it was the Celtics with KG and Perk setting all kinds of moving screens the refs ignored.

So I’m asking you….

How big a deal?

We hear about the dribbling violations all the time. The league is more screen happy than ever and there are more illegal screens than ever as a result but people don’t seem as upset.

What about you?

How annoyed are you by such things?

Think the talk around the warriors is overblown “They hate us cause they ain’t us.” shit?

Does a clear illegal screen leading to a basket bug you as much as a clear travel? Feels like it doesn’t for most.

ImKobe
03-11-2023, 12:27 PM
Everyone does it, GS is just the best at it. It's really hard to officiate, similar to holding in the NFL. I guess it's just one of those things where it's not allowed by the rulebook but they'll let teams get away with it unless it's really obvious or flagrant, and I get it from the ref's POV of not calling it when GS is on a 18 - 6 run with Klay or Steph going up for a heat check with the crowd roaring, you don't want to ruin the moment.

Kblaze8855
03-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Everyone does it, GS is just the best at it. It's really hard to officiate, similar to holding in the NFL. I guess it's just one of those things where it's not allowed by the rulebook but they'll let teams get away with it unless it's really obvious or flagrant, and I get it from the ref's POV of not calling it when GS is on a 18 - 6 run with Klay or Steph going up for a heat check with the crowd roaring, you don't want to ruin the moment.

Imagine you’re running your ass off chasing Steph and Bogut comes out of nowhere:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/YawningPowerlessArcticfox-size_restricted.gif

He gets wide open and wets a 3 and shimmy’s up the court.

The ref doesn’t call it because it would “Ruin the moment”.

Gotta see why defenders would be upset too.

ImKobe
03-11-2023, 12:48 PM
Imagine you’re running your ass off chasing Steph and Bogut comes out of nowhere:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/YawningPowerlessArcticfox-size_restricted.gif

He gets wide open and wets a 3 and shimmy’s up the court.

The ref doesn’t call it because it would “Ruin the moment”.

Gotta see why defenders would be upset too.

It's tough. Steph is arguably the best off-ball player ever and his timing with Bogut & Green is something other teams just can't emulate. The first gif is Smart running into Dray on purpose trying to get a foul called on the play.

I see why defenders are upset. Smart is great at drawing offensive fouls by selling the contact, more defenders have to be willing to do that if they want the ref to make a call on it. I'm for illegal screens and also allowing defenders to be physical in return, it makes for a better product.

Full Court
03-11-2023, 01:56 PM
I think they should be called. You can't have a game or a sport without rules, and that's what refs are there for - to enforce the rules.

Xiao Yao You
03-11-2023, 02:04 PM
I think they should be called. You can't have a game or a sport without rules, and that's what refs are there for - to enforce the rules.

they have plenty of rules. They give all the advantage to the offense

eliteballer
03-11-2023, 03:58 PM
I really want your input on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPXSqOhykg

Axe
03-11-2023, 04:46 PM
They should be countered.

Full Court
03-11-2023, 07:32 PM
they have plenty of rules. They give all the advantage to the offense

I know they have plenty of rules. The problem I have is not enforcing them. And the ones they overlook, e.g. illegal screens, traveling, etc., generally favor the offense.

DMAVS41
03-11-2023, 07:52 PM
I care a lot and I think they should be called tighter.

Jasper
03-11-2023, 08:07 PM
these screens I see more or less are slip screens ... 5-10 % are actually set... which is legal.

Slip screens are when a player runs up to a defender acts like he is going to set a screen and slips away.

Or sets a screen and slips away.

During the slip screen a defender has no reaction time , and either trips, busts it or over shoots a offensive player.
Either way a defender is supposed to have at least two strides to slip around or off of it... but the refs see it as a slip , not moving pick.

In other words it's BULL SHlT the refs aren't calling these slip screens. (as moving screens)

Bosh started it.

Street Hunger
03-16-2023, 02:03 AM
There are tons of screens that are ALMOST moving screens, but it's hard to draw the precise line on many of them.

They matter a lot, freeing up outside shooters.

BigShotBob
03-16-2023, 06:54 PM
Most players aren't even setting picks the right way. You're supposed to run your man into the screen, instead you have the screen setter running himself into their man. Been an issue for about.....25 years

fourkicks44
03-16-2023, 07:45 PM
It is an interesting one.

They don't allow any of that Bogut era Warriors screens no more which is a good thing. But I still don't believe the balance is right.

I see PJ Tucker play multiple times a week now and he always gets called for at least one illegal screen a game.

I personally think the screener should be allowed some freedom to use there upper body and arms IF their two Feet are set. If thier legs are moving ref's should then call it.

That being said what really pisses me off is the amount of fouls the refs call on the defender who is fighting through the screen.

They need to put the whistles away more, If the screen is good and the defender is following the man with the ball and the contact is only on the screener with no disadvantage, there should be more no calls. It is a pet hate of mine.