PDA

View Full Version : AlternativeAcc. Playoff predictions thread

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 05:31 PM
With the playoffs inching closer I am starting to actually watch games and pay attention to favorites.

This thread will be my thoughts as the season unfolds. Would be wise to pay attention as I was the only one on here who picked the Warriors last year.

- Nuggets bench is awful, worst in the league. That makes them a tier 2 team and unable to beat a tier 1 team in the playoffs. They aren't a real championship contender.

- Bucks and Celtics are easily the 2 top teams in the East. Nothing has changed. This has been known. Bucks are the favorites.

- Warriors have the 2nd best bench in the NBA and are the favorites out west. They are coasting this year just like last. The KD injury put them in the favorites position. Right now it's Warriors, Suns, and Lakers (IF LEBRON IS HEALTHY*) in that order

I will update this thread accordingly as the season goes on.

Biggest takeway: NUGGETS ARE NOT CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS!

Manny98
03-12-2023, 05:34 PM
What happened to your boy KD easily winning this year :lol

SouBeachTalents
03-12-2023, 05:36 PM
What are your thoughts on the Clippers? And if they stay in the 7-8 spot, do you think the Mavs or Heat pose a threat to their opponent in the first round?

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 05:43 PM
What are your thoughts on the Clippers? And if they stay in the 7-8 spot, do you think the Mavs or Heat pose a legitimate threat to their opponent in the first round?

I like the Clippers as a dark horse threat to upset anyone... for instance a clippers/nuggets 1st round I see that as a toss-up. Heat aren't quite as dangerous, but playoff Butler is very real. The gap though between the Bucks/Celtics is much bigger than the gap between the top seeds in the west.

Lakers, Mavs, Clippers are all very close and threats to any team. Lakers and Clippers defensively though have shown they can be elite. I prefer that in the playoffs

The west is much harder to predict in general, and injuries and guys leaving teams (wiggins) makes it very blurry

Even without Wiggins I like the Warriors chances the most

We will just have to see how KD, LeBron progress, and what happens with Wiggins.

1987_Lakers
03-12-2023, 05:48 PM
Bucks and the Celtics are easily the two best teams in the East, with the Bucks as favorites to win it all. Agree with you there.

Not sure if I agree with you on the West. The Warriors have looked mediocre all year, their defense is atrocious and their bench was better last year. If KD returns healthy, Suns should win the West, but if not, I'm rolling with Denver despite their flaws.

Phoenix
03-12-2023, 05:54 PM
What are your thoughts on the Clippers? And if they stay in the 7-8 spot, do you think the Mavs or Heat pose a threat to their opponent in the first round?

Kawhi/PG give them a punchers chance but you know the giant caveat with this duo: health. And Westbrook makes them worse....

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 05:56 PM
Bucks and the Celtics are easily the two best teams in the East, with the Bucks as favorites to win it all. Agree with you there.

Not sure if I agree with you on the West. The Warriors have looked mediocre all year, their defense is atrocious and their bench was better last year. If KD returns healthy, Suns should win the West, but if not, I'm rolling with Denver despite their flaws.

The Warrioes are getting back GP2 at some point.

You're right about their defense though, been bad. Worse than last year. Bench wise they still are at the top of the league.

Denver is too Jokic reliant and lack the perimeter defenders to stop opposing teams in the playoffs. Worst bench in the NBA. Don't like their chances.

KD playing only 3 games with the Suns is pretty uninspiring. I know he never shows rust but team chemistry is important and Warriors have it in spades.

If KD is fully healthy tho by the end of the year then i might change my tune.

It's still early

SouBeachTalents
03-12-2023, 06:00 PM
Nearly everyone in the West has injury concerns, Lakers with their two stars, Clippers with their two stars, the Suns with KD, Curry's just coming off an injury, that's what makes that conference virtually impossible to predict. I'd slightly favor the Bucks over the Celtics to win the East, but it'll very likely be one of those two teams, and in the West, if KD's healthy I'd go with the Suns, if not, that's fcking brutal :lol I might just choose the Clippers, but I wouldn't feel confident about that pick.

And they could bow out with little resistance, but I would not want to play Dallas or Miami in the first round if I were a top 2 seed. The Heat have a lot of playoff experience, making the Finals then coming a bucket away from making it again last year, and Butler has shown he can play at a legitimate superstar level come playoff time. And in any one series, playing a top 5 player like Luka there's always the possibility he catches fire and can beat you, as he did against Phoenix and nearly did against the Clippers b2b years. Only this time, he'd have Kyrie as a secondary scoring threat

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 06:19 PM
Nearly everyone in the West has injury concerns, Lakers with their two stars, Clippers with their two stars, the Suns with KD, Curry's just coming off an injury, that's what makes that conference virtually impossible to predict. I'd slightly favor the Bucks over the Celtics to win the East, but it'll very likely be one of those two teams, and in the West, if KD's healthy I'd go with the Suns, if not, that's fcking brutal :lol I might just choose the Clippers, but I wouldn't feel confident about that pick.

And they could bow out with little resistance, but I would not want to play Dallas or Miami in the first round if I were a top 2 seed. The Heat have a lot of playoff experience, making the Finals then coming a bucket away from making it again last year, and Butler has shown he can play at a legitimate superstar level come playoff time. And in any one series, playing a top 5 player like Luka there's always the possibility he catches fire and can beat you, as he did against Phoenix and nearly did against the Clippers b2b years. Only this time, he'd have Kyrie as a secondary scoring threat

Good points

I think with all the uncertainty in the west is why I favor the Warriors right now. They have a healthy core and have shown to turn it on in the playoffs. Clippers are finally showing some health but they've shown nothing in the playoffs except extreme choking, and Mavs, Suns, Lakers are brand new teams

Warriors have the most togetherness, they have the shooting, they have the defensive pieces, they have the championship experience in droves. I'm thinking there's a great chance Wiggins comes back and GP2 is certain to come back soon.

I just can't see the Mavs defense getting it done. Would take all time great offensive performances from Luka/Irving. Possible but not likely

Axe
03-12-2023, 06:22 PM
The warriors have a laughable record at the road for this season. There's also no assurance they'd secure a good hca come playoff time.

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 06:26 PM
The warriors have a laughable record at the road for this season. There's also no assurance they'd secure a good hca come playoff time.

Playoffs are different tho because you play the same team multiple times in a row. Kerr is one of the best head coaches in the league at adjustments, as we saw in the finals last year.

I think the road thing is a bit overblown

SouBeachTalents
03-12-2023, 06:31 PM
Good points

I think with all the uncertainty in the west is why I favor the Warriors right now. They have a healthy core and have shown to turn it on in the playoffs. Clippers are finally showing some health but they've shown nothing in the playoffs except extreme choking, and Mavs, Suns, Lakers are brand new teams

Warriors have the most togetherness, they have the shooting, they have the defensive pieces, they have the championship experience in droves. I'm thinking there's a great chance Wiggins comes back and GP2 is certain to come back soon.

I just can't see the Mavs defense getting it done. Would take all time great offensive performances from Luka/Irving. Possible but not likely
You definitely can't count them out, but the Warriors have been so erratic this season, they've been historically inept on the road, and do we even have any idea when Wiggins is coming back :lol You would have to assume he'll be back for the playoffs, but there's definitely a lot of question marks and concerns about this team.

Proctor
03-12-2023, 06:33 PM
I've been saying Nuggets aren't legitimate contenders for a long time. I like them but it just ain't happening. They scare nobody.

Celtics/Bucks the only two teams that matter in the East
Suns, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers* in the West

* for the Clippers just denotes that my opinion of them isn't as high as the other three, but they absolutely can upset/knock off any heavyweight, so I give that some importance.

Sounds like I mostly agree with OP. No other team matters whatsoever IMO

I had high hopes for the Pelicans but with what is going on with them injury wise, I'm not sure they can make any noise at all this year.

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 06:41 PM
You definitely can't count them out, but the Warriors have been so erratic this season, they've been historically inept on the road, and do we even have any idea when Wiggins is coming back :lol You would have to assume he'll be back for the playoffs, but there's definitely a lot of question marks and concerns about this team.

I honestly think they are coasting this year. I heard some similar stuff about them last year too

GP2 coming back is huge for them defensively, and Divincenzo is a stud defensively and another 40% 3 point shooter. How the **** do they keep adding these dudes? :lol

I think defensively they'll be fine come playoff time and the road record while bizzare, I dont think it'll be a huge factor in the playoffs. Curry has missed a ton of time, they've sat guys during back to backs, they've been coasting, and playoffs is just a different format

AlternativeAcc.
03-12-2023, 06:43 PM
I've been saying Nuggets aren't legitimate contenders for a long time. I like them but it just ain't happening. They scare nobody.

Celtics/Bucks the only two teams that matter in the East
Suns, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers* in the West

* for the Clippers just denotes that my opinion of them isn't as high as the other three, but they absolutely can upset/knock off any heavyweight, so I give that some importance.

Sounds like I mostly agree with OP. No other team matters whatsoever IMO

I had high hopes for the Pelicans but with what is going on with them injury wise, I'm not sure they can make any noise at all this year.

I didn't know the Nuggets had a horrible bench. And they're not even a top 15 defense. And unlike the Warriors they don't have elite defensive potential. Worst bench + bad defense = no shot

Akeem34TheDream
03-12-2023, 06:46 PM
I think we all can agree that Kings are the biggest pretenders out there. I expect them to lose in the 1st round if they get the 2nd seed. I really like Grizzlies but Adams got injured and Ja is idk... So it is hard to pick them right now. If Westbrook meshes just ok with the Clippers then i would pick them to go to finals. From the east i like the Sixers not gonna lie.

Axe
03-12-2023, 07:03 PM
Playoffs are different tho because you play the same team multiple times in a row. Kerr is one of the best head coaches in the league at adjustments, as we saw in the finals last year.

Yeah, they have steve kerr. The catalyst which made them a dynasty in the making.

NBAGOAT
03-13-2023, 07:12 AM
I think we all can agree that Kings are the biggest pretenders out there. I expect them to lose in the 1st round if they get the 2nd seed. I really like Grizzlies but Adams got injured and Ja is idk... So it is hard to pick them right now. If Westbrook meshes just ok with the Clippers then i would pick them to go to finals. From the east i like the Sixers not gonna lie.

The kings can win a playoff series maybe even get lucky vs the grizzlies in 2nd rd. They have no chance at a title but their offense is that good and their stats are underrated and the role guys fit really well.

I think clippers are still a sleeper but they can’t beat Denver. Have no answer for jokic or even Murray, need luck with matchups like phx eliminating Denver in 2nd rd. Then again it’s hard seeing clippers beat phx when clippers just don’t have guys like cp3/ayton supporting their star duo. They have a lot of depth but those depth guys just aren’t as good as bostons or the guys on the clippers 2 years ago

jayfan
03-13-2023, 07:47 AM
Yep, Boston & Milwaukee are the class of the East. But Philly's not far behind, and I'm not counting them out. I like what I'm seeing in them.

ArbitraryWater
03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
Kawhi/PG give them a punchers chance but you know the giant caveat with this duo: health. And Westbrook makes them worse....

heath is definitely not the giant caveat.

otherwise they would have more than a punchers chance, since theyre generally healthy.

Phoenix
03-13-2023, 09:57 AM
heath is definitely not the giant caveat.

otherwise they would have more than a punchers chance, since theyre generally healthy.

Health is very much the caveat, though I would extend that for all these contenders. We've seen too many teams lose key players from injury in recent years. The Clippers 'general' health can turn on a dime with Kawhi and PG13's history in particular. IF healthy they're in the mix but there's too much parity in the West to think anyone has a clear decided edge even if everyone has all their guns locked and loaded( mayyyybee the Suns, but KD's late season arrival and freak injury robs them of the continuity they could have built which may cost them come playoff time). This is one of the biggest 'we'll have to see' playoff races in a while.

Wally450
03-13-2023, 10:57 AM
Good write up. :cheers:

I'm not as high on the Warriors as you may be. As others have said, they seem like a better team last season. Bench was better last year, they can't win on the road this season, health issues. But they're still on my list as a team that can absolutely win the West. They have the ability to flip that switch come playoff time and become the team to beat. No one had them as real threats last season and they won the whole damn thing. They very well could do the same this season, even if it doesn't look as promising currently.

AlternativeAcc.
04-11-2023, 12:47 PM
West is crazy.

Suns, Warriors, Lakers are the best teams and none of them are a top 3 seed.

With Durant back I'm rolling with the Suns. I think Warriors have a better chance at staying healthy though.

Grizzlies and Nuggets will be tough outs.

Bucks run the east.

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 02:30 PM

Good call

Lakers/Warriors are the cream of the west. Was saying it before anybody else

Everyone was wrong about the Bucks and I'm biased about KD. Otherwise pretty spot on

tpols
05-02-2023, 02:42 PM
Literally everything this clown proclaimed to be true became false. :lol

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 02:46 PM
Literally everything this clown proclaimed to be true became false. :lol

Like what? Giannis getting injured? Warriors and Lakers being favorites? I was wrong about the Suns and thats it. Celtics are still winning that series.

You otoh, have been wrong about everything for years. :oldlol: nice projection though.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 02:47 PM
- Nuggets bench is awful, worst in the league. That makes them a tier 2 team and unable to beat a tier 1 team in the playoffs. They aren't a real championship contender.

:roll:

He changed his turn in a hurry after the Nuggets went up 1-0 on the Suns.

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 02:49 PM

Which tier 1 team have they beat? Everything I said about them can be said about the Suns.

They still have an awful bench - the Suns are just MORE awful which is making the Nugs look better than they are.

Aren't you the retard who talked down the Warriors last year AND this year? :roll:

Keep following me in every thread though! I own you fakkit.

tpols
05-02-2023, 02:55 PM
Like what? Giannis getting injured? Warriors and Lakers being favorites? I was wrong about the Suns and thats it. Celtics are still winning that series.

You otoh, have been wrong about everything for years. :oldlol: nice projection though.

Nuggets suck. Suns are favorites. Bucks are favorites.

I need to start incorporating your opinions into my fanduel decisions.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 02:55 PM
Which tier 1 team have they beat? Everything I said about them can be said about the Suns.

They still have an awful bench - the Suns are just MORE awful which is making the Nugs look better than they are.

Aren't you the retard who talked down the Warriors last year AND this year? :roll:

Keep following me in every thread though! I own you fakkit.

How can two teams have the worst bench in the league?

The bench is actually less important in the playoffs. No back to backs. Rotations get shorter.

Denver's starting lineup is elite.

I didn't see the Warriors as title favorites last year or this year. Neither did Vegas. Vegas did consider the Suns a title favorite this year ahead of the Warriors.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 02:56 PM
The nuggets defense sucks but the Suns could only score 87 points against them last game.

10-27

tpols
05-02-2023, 02:57 PM
The nuggets defense sucks but the Suns could only score 87 points against them last game.

10-27

I can't believe this guy had the balls to bump such an awful prediction thread. :lol

It's almost like we're living in the twilight zone.

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 02:59 PM
How can two teams have the worst bench in the league?

The bench is actually less important in the playoffs. No back to backs. Rotations get shorter.

Denver's starting lineup is elite.

I didn't see the Warriors as title favorites last year or this year. Neither did Vegas. Vegas did consider the Suns a title favorite this year ahead of the Warriors.

I know you didn't see them as favorites, you know nothing about basketball. :lol

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 03:01 PM
I can't believe this guy had the balls to bump such an awful prediction thread. :lol

It's almost like we're living in the twilight zone.

Was more right than anybody on here by a long shot

Only wrong about the Suns due to my KD bias. You ignored my post for a reason. Are you a passive aggressive beta in real life too? :oldlol:

tontoz
05-02-2023, 03:02 PM
I know you didn't see them as favorites, you know nothing about basketball. :lol

I am objective, not a mindless troll.

Please explain how the Suns scored only 87 points against the Nuggets lousy defense. :roll:

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 03:05 PM
I am objective, not a mindless troll.

Please explain how the Suns scored only 87 points against the Nuggets lousy defense. :roll:

Because the Suns have no 3 point shooting, no bench, and their 37yo third option missed the whole 2nd half :lol

It says way more about PHO than it does about Nuggets. Nuggets had like the 17th best D in the regular season and will get absolutely smoked by Warriors/Lakers who can actually shoot, have depth, and defend aka tier 1 teams.

You also follow me in every thread like a sick puppy. I live in your nerd head.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Because the Suns have no 3 point shooting, no bench, and their 37yo third option missed the whole 2nd half :lol

It says way more about PHO than it does about Nuggets. Nuggets had like the 17th best D in the regular season and will get absolutely smoked by Warriors/Lakers who can actually shoot, have depth, and defend aka tier 1 teams.

Paul played 25 minutes in the first half? Really? :oldlol:

The Suns lack of 3 pt shooting and weak bench were known before you picked them to beat the nuggets in 6. :oldlol: At least it was known to those of us that have a clue about basketball.

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Paul played 25 minutes in the first half? Really? :oldlol:

The Suns lack of 3 pt shooting and weak bench were known before you picked them to beat the nuggets in 6. :oldlol: At least it was known to those of us that have a clue about basketball.

The guy downplaying the stacked Warriors for the past 2 years Implying he knows basketball :roll:

The only thing you know is how to follow me around like a fukking shadow. You obsessed with me or something you little geek? You're creepy as hell. Get a life.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 03:18 PM
The guy downplaying the stacked Warriors for the past 2 years Implying he knows basketball :roll:

The only thing you know is how to follow me around like a fukking shadow. You obsessed with me or something you little geek? You're creepy as hell. Get a life.

So when you create a thread and bump it you don't want people to respond? You just want to create threads to talk to yourself?

OK i will try not to judge :oldlol:

The "stacked" Warriors have only 1 All-Star. You must not understand what the word stacked means, unless you are saying that Steph's presence makes a team stacked. Is that what you are saying?

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2023, 03:24 PM
So when you create a thread and bump it you don't want people to respond? You just want to create threads to talk to yourself?

The "stacked" Warriors have only 1 All-Star. You must not understand what the word stacked means, unless you are saying that Steph's presence makes a team stacked. Is that what you are saying?

Its every thread and you know it. Literally every thread I post in you're right there like a creepy stalker with some cringey shit. You're just a weird guy who is obsessed with me.

Here we go with your autistic "1 all star" shit like any of that matters. They have several high IQ hall of famers, Wiggins who was an Allstars last year and outplayed Tatum in the finals on both ends, elite coach, and elite role players.

But "muh 1 all star her der" :oldlol: you're a fukking idiot. And a stalker. Get off my dick.

warriorfan
05-02-2023, 03:31 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

tontoz
05-02-2023, 03:37 PM
Its every thread and you know it. Literally every thread I post in you're right there like a creepy stalker with some cringey shit. You're just a weird guy who is obsessed with me.

Here we go with your autistic "1 all star" shit like any of that matters. They have several high IQ hall of famers, Wiggins who was an Allstars last year and outplayed Tatum in the finals on both ends, elite coach, and elite role players.

But "muh 1 all star her der" :oldlol: you're a fukking idiot. And a stalker. Get off my dick.

I didn't even post in this thread until you bumped it. :lol

Please list all the "stacked" teams throughout history that had only 1 All-Star. This is Wiggins 9th season and he has made the AS game only once riding Steph's coattails.

Is Poole one of those "elite role players", the guy who shot 34% from the field in the first round? Or do you think he is a hall of famer too? :lol

hold this L
05-02-2023, 05:11 PM

They're two games away from making a conference finals, which does make them a contender. A place 10-27 hasn't been in since he left Golden State.

Axe
05-02-2023, 05:16 PM

1 all-star yet they're still favorites to come out in the west out of all teams playing there. :confusedshrug:

Oh dear uncle..

Manny98
05-02-2023, 05:30 PM
KD about to get swept by a tier 2 team :roll::roll::roll:

Manny98
05-02-2023, 05:31 PM
They're two games away from making a conference finals, which does make them a contender. A place 10-27 hasn't been in since he left Golden State.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 05:37 PM
1 all-star yet they're still favorites to come out in the west out of all teams playing there. :confusedshrug:

Oh dear uncle..

These were the title odds before the playoffs started.

Milwaukee Bucks
+240
Boston Celtics
+360
Phoenix Suns
+500
Philadelphia 76ers
+850
Denver Nuggets
+950
Golden State Warriors
+950
Memphis Grizzlies
+1900
Los Angeles Lakers
+2700
Los Angeles Clippers
+3900
Cleveland Cavaliers
+4200

Axe
05-02-2023, 05:54 PM
These were the title odds before the playoffs started.
Hard to be convinced by those odds when they aren't accurate most of the time lol.

tontoz
05-02-2023, 05:59 PM
Hard to be convinced by those odds when they aren't accurate most of the time lol.

Obviously they aren't accurate predictions. They are an accurate measure of public opinion at the time.

tontoz
06-13-2023, 06:09 PM
With the playoffs inching closer I am starting to actually watch games and pay attention to favorites.

This thread will be my thoughts as the season unfolds. Would be wise to pay attention as I was the only one on here who picked the Warriors last year.

- Bucks and Celtics are easily the 2 top teams in the East. Nothing has changed. This has been known. Bucks are the favorites.

- Warriors have the 2nd best bench in the NBA and are the favorites out west. They are coasting this year just like last. The KD injury put them in the favorites position. Right now it's Warriors, Suns, and Lakers (IF LEBRON IS HEALTHY*) in that order

brownmamba00
06-13-2023, 06:11 PM
Casuals:oldlol:

Manny98
06-13-2023, 07:13 PM

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

TheMan
06-13-2023, 08:13 PM
TBH, whomever AlternativeAcc picks, go the opposite. You'll win way more than lose, he's just not good at predicting :lol

warriorfan
06-13-2023, 08:42 PM
:roll::roll::roll::roll:

lmaoooooooooooo

that midget doesn’t know shit about ball :roll:

Doomsday Dallas
06-13-2023, 09:46 PM

https://youtu.be/y3uVTpJoC1Q

kawhileonard2
06-13-2023, 11:09 PM

Biggest fraud around.

hold this L
06-14-2023, 02:46 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNjc0M2IwZTliMGQ1ZjM2YjNjYTZiOWN iYmQ3MDU2Yzg5MGQ0ZDRlZiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZzX 2dpZklkJmN0PWc/12UPyerJpVC2PzWkrz/giphy.gif

LeGoat4Life
06-14-2023, 11:11 AM
OP just exposed himself that he knows nothing about basketball :lol

Then again we shouldn't expect much from a Lebron fanboy though :oldlol:

RRR3
06-14-2023, 02:59 PM
Budaddiii exposed as low iq once again.