PDA

View Full Version : Second Season Of Franz Wagner Having Crazy +/-

ralph_i_el
03-13-2023, 11:01 AM
Last season I adopted the Magic as one of my league pass teams. I really appreciated Cole Anthony from a personality perspective, and I was really excited to see Suggs transition to the NBA. I was immediately blown away by the performance of Franz Wagner out of Michigan. It's rare to have a guy his size who is a triple-threat with the ball in his hands, and his versatility allowed him to impact the game consistently in a positive way.

I wasn't aware of just how big an impact the numbers imply for Franz Wagner. Last season, in the 2429 minutes he played over 79 games, the Magic were -5/100 possessions with him on the court...and -13.4/100 when he sat for a massive swing. However, the Magic were still a bad team with him on the court, so I didn't pay it much mind. Numbers fluctuate you know?

This season the story hasn't changed. The Magic are now +.02/100 poss with him on the court, and -9.1/100 when he sits. A relative +/- of over +10/100 poss usually indicates an All-NBA level of impact, and Wagner is nudging up against that marker. When he plays, this young team is breaking even on the court.

Is Wagner the next Kirilenko or Shane Battier, who makes a massive impact on the game without people noticing? He seems to have more off-the-dribble juice than either of those guys, so maybe he could make it on to the casual fan's radar sooner rather than later.

ShawkFactory
03-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Yea he’s a better creator and finisher than Battier.

Does literally everything well. If/when he becomes more assertive he’ll get recognition and be an all star.

Im Still Ballin
03-13-2023, 01:14 PM
His impact appears greater than his counting stats. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was a great example of that phenomenon. He was a +5.1 per 100 over 10,857 minutes in Charlotte. Averaged 8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.2 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg on 47.9% eFG, 71.5% FT, and 52.5% TS.

RRR3
03-13-2023, 01:21 PM
He scores like 19 PPG in his second season he’s clearly gonna be different than Battier lol