PDA

View Full Version : New Theory why Warriors Defense Sucks- Shutting Draymond Up

bdonovan
03-18-2023, 01:00 AM
Living overseas now, I don't get to watch too many NBA games; I do catch Warriors highlights on YouTube and the occasional game on NBA League Pass. Seeing the Warriors defensive decline in the box scores, I assumed the problem was the backup unit, or perhaps noobs like Kuminga.

But when I watched, I was stunned to see how many defensive lapses were committed by veterans like Klay Thompson. Multiple times, Klay was switched off his man and didn't guard the 2nd guy (he should have switched onto). Like routine mistakes that rookies make, not veterans.

It got me thinking about how in the past, Draymond was constantly yelling at his teammates (except Curry) about defensive lapses. The team resented him and I just assumed Draymond took things too far in chastising his teammates. Now I realize he was actually the linchpin on D, not just with his own activity but in constantly coaching the others.

Ever since Draymond punched Poole, I get the impression Warriors coaching has told Draymond to back off confronting teammates. I don't see him getting in people's faces and correcting them. Without his jawing, the Warriors D will sink to mediocrity and below.

The Warriors won the championship last year- making the players even less likely to want a teammate in their face. Draymond's erosion of his own standing by decking Poole just made things worse. Amusing to think that Klay was a standout defender only when Draymond was telling him what to do all the time. I see the same lapses by Looney, Lamb and others- they have all taken a step back.

Axe
03-18-2023, 01:07 AM
So how are the defending champions going to repeat as title holders if they aren't cohesive enough? Something good to wonder about them nowadays.

bdonovan
03-18-2023, 01:38 AM
So how are the defending champions going to repeat as title holders if they aren't cohesive enough? Something good to wonder about them nowadays.

Doesn't look like they're repeating anytime soon. The Warriors underestimated Green's importance to the team, and this will likely be his last year as he didn't get a contract extension; his contract ends this year. Instead they signed Poole; who thus far is a one way player on a team with enough offense already (and think it's a good idea to play 3 guards at one time- part of the defensive failure).

Let go of Wiseman while not signing another big man. They always had Bjelica or Pachulia- big men who could lend muscle against physical teams. Not anymore. Kerr and the Front Office are resting on their laurels and lost sight of what's needed to win.

Axe
03-18-2023, 09:54 AM
Doesn't look like they're repeating anytime soon. The Warriors underestimated Green's importance to the team, and this will likely be his last year as he didn't get a contract extension; his contract ends this year. Instead they signed Poole; who thus far is a one way player on a team with enough offense already (and think it's a good idea to play 3 guards at one time- part of the defensive failure).

Let go of Wiseman while not signing another big man. They always had Bjelica or Pachulia- big men who could lend muscle against physical teams. Not anymore. Kerr and the Front Office are resting on their laurels and lost sight of what's needed to win.
Oh. But can't they go for small ball anymore? Or that's no longer effective in setting up moving screens in tons of their plays? Btw poor thing.