PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol Blasts The Modern NBA: "The Essence Of Basketball Is Lost"

eliteballer
03-18-2023, 02:40 PM
Pau Gasol Blasts The Modern NBA: "The Essence Of Basketball Is Lost"

"The defense has disappeared. I don't just like that the essence of basketball is lost... which is playing as a team," Gasol said.

"Before you shot in the first 8 seconds of possession and they sat you on the bench."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/pau-gasol-blasts-the-modern-nba-the-essence-of-basketball-is-lost/ar-AA18Mkp5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b7fe19b8e85e4be784b0c95c72567554&ei=27

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 02:45 PM
In the 80's, players would get benched if they attempted a 3 & little defense was played.

In the 60's, players were wreckless and attempted shots well before the 24 sec shot clock ran out.

People who usually make these statements have no knowledge of how the game was played in previous decades.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 03:11 PM
Do you really think Gasol doesn't know NBA history? Like a lot of people he dislikes how defense has been handcuffed.

Additionally it's impossible to fairly compare modern numbers to past numbers. If Jayson Tatum pays his whole career with the Celtics he might be the career scoring leader by the time he's 32 (completely didn't do any research just guessing). He could pass Bird before age 30 (ditto). Does anyone think he's a better scorer than Larry Bird?

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2023, 03:15 PM
Do you really think Gasol doesn't know NBA history? Like a lot of people he dislikes how defense has been handcuffed.

Additionally it's impossible to fairly compare modern numbers to past numbers. If Jayson Tatum pays his whole career with the Celtics he might be the career scoring leader by the time he's 32 (completely didn't do any research just guessing). He could pass Bird before age 30 (ditto). Does anyone think he's a better scorer than Larry Bird?

Missed the point like you always do. Your IQ is extremely low. Sub 90

"Team" play on both ends is more prevalent than any other time in history. Pau thinks teams aren't playing defense is an atrocious take... offense has evolved and has made defense harder, more complicated, and much more team oriented

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 03:22 PM
Do you really think Gasol doesn't know NBA history?

What evidence do you have that he does?

John Havlicek is the leading Celtics scorer I believe. He played in an era where teams averaged around 115 ppg, which is what teams average today.

To act like this is the only time where the NBA didn't play defense is dumb.

There are eras where offenses have the upper hand, like they do today, and where defenses dominate, like they did from the mid 90's - mid 00's. There is always a shift going around.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 03:25 PM

"Team" play on both ends is more prevalent than any other time in history. Pau thinks teams aren't playing defense is an atrocious take... offense has evolved and has made defense harder, more complicated, and much more team oriented

You always preface your stupid statements with an insult. Sone kind of insecurity? The trolling has gotten boring years ago. Grow up. A regular person thinking and evaluating honestly would see that Gasol is complaining about how a lot of offense is one guy creating a three off the dt inble without passing. A lot of the time the defense being played doesn't matter. But you never engage in honest discussion. You just troll. If I didn't think this forum was supposed to suck I would ban you.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 03:28 PM

Rule changes have made it easier, but this is a great point as well. It took offenses years to realize you need more shooters once the NBA allowed zone defenses / took away "illegal defense". Offenses have caught up, and soon defenses will figure out a way to make things harder for them. If you study history, this stuff always happens.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 03:34 PM
Rule changes have made it easier, but this is a great point as well. It took offenses years to realize you need more shooters once the NBA allowed zone defenses / took away "illegal defense". Offenses have caught up, and soon defenses will figure out a way to make things harder for them. If you study history, this stuff always happens.

If you study history you know that there was a time it was possible to crowd and challenge a jumpshooter without giving up 3 free throws and/or getting hit with a tech. The rules have forced defenders to be less physical. What is a defender going to do about a guy like Dame Lillaird that's an explosive athlete that can shoot from 30? At no point in NBA history did we see 50 point games at this rate with the exception of some Wilt season which he largely did by himself. This is the whole league.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 03:50 PM

John Havlicek is the leading Celtics scorer I believe. He played in an era where teams averaged around 115 ppg, which is what teams average today.

There are eras where offenses have the upper hand, like they do today, and where defenses dominate, like they did from the mid 90's - mid 00's. There is always a shift going around.

Pau Gasol played in the NBA for 14 years and was a thoroughly skilled fundamentally sound big man. You think a guy like that doesn't know nba history? Keep on trolling.

What other eras had rule changes that gave free throws to offensive players like we are seeing now? You compare Havlicek era when it's completely different to what is going on today. They didn't even have the three back then and FYI the league field goal percentage stayed in the low 40s for much of the 60s. Without a 3 point line. So you citing the scoring average is selective research. Lazy at best dishonest at worst.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 03:52 PM
If you study history you know that there was a time it was possible to crowd and challenge a jumpshooter without giving up 3 free throws and/or getting hit with a tech. The rules have forced defenders to be less physical. What is a defender going to do about a guy like Dame Lillaird that's an explosive athlete that can shoot from 30? At no point in NBA history did we see 50 point games at this rate with the exception of some Wilt season which he largely did by himself. This is the whole league.

Yes, rule changes have made things easier, but teams are smarter today. I remember as a kid watching capable open 3 point shooters step in for a mid-range shot instead because "it was closer to the rim". Now all analytics today confirm mid-range shots are the worst shot you can take. People today just dismiss how much the explosion of the 3 point shot have made things harder for defenses and just blame everything on the rule changes.

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2023, 03:53 PM
You always preface your stupid statements with an insult. Sone kind of insecurity? The trolling has gotten boring years ago. Grow up. A regular person thinking and evaluating honestly would see that Gasol is complaining about how a lot of offense is one guy creating a three off the dt inble without passing. A lot of the time the defense being played doesn't matter. But you never engage in honest discussion. You just troll. If I didn't think this forum was supposed to suck I would ban you.

:oldlol:

You literally misinterpreted what he said. He said the sport is missing the "team essence" but that's patently false... as on both ends the game is more team oriented. There's less ISO ball in today's game than prior eras and on defense it's literally all team work and switching.

The game is MORE team centered than ever. That's what's you missed. You brought up Larry Bird and Tatum, because u have a sub 90 IQ and are wrong about EVERYTHING.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 03:55 PM
Pau Gasol played in the NBA for 14 years and was a thoroughly skilled fundamentally sound big man. You think a guy like that doesn't know nba history? Keep on trolling.

Wtf does him being a fundamentally skilled big man for 14 years have to do with him knowing NBA history? :roll:

bison
03-18-2023, 03:55 PM
Knicks beat the nuggets today so the essence of basketball is alive and well

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2023, 03:56 PM
Wtf does him being a fundamentally skilled big man for 14 years have to do with him knowing NBA history? :roll:

:roll: :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:00 PM
Yes, rule changes have made things easier, but teams are smarter today. I remember as a kid watching capable open 3 point shooters step in for a mid-range shot instead because "it was closer to the rim". Now all analytics today confirm mid-range shots are the worst shot you can take. People today just dismiss how much the explosion of the 3 point shot have made things harder for defenses and just blame everything on the rule changes.

Modern players are better distance shooters. If you go back to Havlicek days they didn't even have a three to shoot and players that grew up without a line that suddenly got one aren't going to immediately take 30 a game. On top of the better shooters we have all of these changes in the officiating that give jumpshooters free throws. In the 80s and 90s jump shooters didn't get to the free throw line period. You almost never saw the point shooters get fouled. These days it happens multiple times per game and would happen even more if defenders weren't conditioned to avoid contact. A good scoring opportunity is about creating space to get a shot that you can make. If the rules literally order guys to back off that's half the battle before a play is even made.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 04:00 PM
There's less ISO ball in today's game than prior eras.

90's was basically mostly ISO because the "illegal defense" rules made it easier for ISO plays. But somehow "essence of basketball is lost... which is playing as a team".

These retired players need to be quiet.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 04:02 PM
Modern players are better distance shooters. If you go back to Havlicek days they didn't even have a three to shoot and players that grew up without a line that suddenly got one aren't going to immediately take 30 a game

Tell that to Pete Maravich.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:04 PM

You literally misinterpreted what he said. He said the sport is missing the "team essence" but that's patently false... as on both ends the game is more team oriented. There's less ISO ball in today's game than prior eras and on defense it's literally all team work and switching.

The game is MORE team centered than ever. That's what's you missed. You brought up Larry Bird and Tatum, because u have a sub 90 IQ and are wrong about EVERYTHING.

He literally mentioned a guy shooting a three in the first 8 seconds. Pau Gasol is smarter than you...not saying much but I figured I would mention it.

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2023, 04:04 PM
90's was basically mostly ISO because the "illegal defense" rules made it easier for ISO plays. But somehow "essence of basketball is lost... which is playing as a team".

These retired players need to be quiet.

Exactly. The rules have made it more ream oriented.

The game is less physical overall, but the shit Pau is saying doesn't really make sense. And a guy who played with Kobe talking about team essence is quite hilarious. :lol

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:05 PM

What does studying the moves and games of past players to improve your game have to do with knowing history? Figure it out.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:08 PM
Tell that to Pete Maravich.

Tell me how many threes Maravich shot.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 04:12 PM
Tell me how many threes Maravich shot.

Alot

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/pete-maravich-was-incredibly-making-13-threes-a-game-before-the-three-point-line-existed-he-would-have-averaged-57-points-per-game-in-college-if-it-did

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2023, 04:15 PM
He literally mentioned a guy shooting a three in the first 8 seconds. Pau Gasol is smarter than you...not saying much but I figured I would mention it.

As opposed to giving the ball to your big man while he ISOs for 10 seconds.

Him mentioning something doesn't equate to being right. Can you make your own points? Are you even capable of that? Sub 90 might be generous.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 04:15 PM
What does studying the moves and games of past players to improve your game have to do with knowing history? Figure it out.

Studying someone's game does not equal studying how the league was played back then. For all I know he could have just been watching someone's highlights.

AlternativeAcc.
03-18-2023, 04:19 PM
Studying someone's game does not equal studying how the league was played back then. For all I know he could have just been watching someone's highlights.

Since Kyrie is fundamentally sound and skilled, we should listen to his takes on basketball. He KNOWS bro! :oldlol:

This dude is genuinely the dumbest person on the forum. Never seen anyone dumber. And I've read John8204s posts

Wardell Curry
03-18-2023, 04:48 PM
If Jayson Tatum pays his whole career with the Celtics he might be the career scoring leader by the time he's 32

lol. no.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:48 PM
Alot

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/pete-maravich-was-incredibly-making-13-threes-a-game-before-the-three-point-line-existed-he-would-have-averaged-57-points-per-game-in-college-if-it-did

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/pete-maravich-3-pointers-made#:~:text=Pete%20Maravich%20made%2010%20three%2 Dpointers%20in%20his%20career.

So by a lot you mean 10?

Your argument right now is based on one player who would have made no one knows how many threes at no one knows what percentage of if there were threes and he intentionally started shooting them. I don't see where this is going to be honest.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:51 PM
As opposed to giving the ball to your big man while he ISOs for 10 seconds.

Him mentioning something doesn't equate to being right. Can you make your own points? Are you even capable of that? Sub 90 might be generous.

Nowhere does he talk about giving the big the ball. Believe me the lack of respect is reciprocated. Doesn't matter.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 04:52 PM

You are now arguing that a top 75 all time great didn't watch basketball. This is getting dumb.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 06:03 PM
You are now arguing that a top 75 all time great didn't watch basketball. This is getting dumb.

Shaq is a top 10 player ever and has Iverson in his all-time starting 5.

This is getting dumb.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 06:09 PM

This is getting dumb.

So are you saying that Shaq doesn't know nba history? Because that's what's being disputed. There is a difference between having a rare opinion and just being ignorant.

Phoenix
03-18-2023, 06:12 PM

This is getting dumb.

John8204 enters the chat

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 06:18 PM
So are you saying that Shaq doesn't know nba history?

Most of these players knowledge/opinions about NBA history is as good as John8204's thoughts.

Have you seen Shaq & Barkley talk on inside the NBA?

Barkley has Oscar Robertson as his 2nd greatest player ever. "But Barkley is a top 30 player ever, he knows his history". :lol

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 06:23 PM
Most of these players knowledge/opinions about NBA history is as good as John8204's thoughts.

Have you seen Shaq & Barkley talk on inside the NBA?

Barkley has Oscar Robertson as his 2nd greatest player ever.

So they have opinions you don't agree with. Doesn't mean they don't know the history of the game. Robertson averaged a triple double back when that was a rarity. Barkley respects him for it. You taking that to mean he doesn't understand ball or know history is just a leap of illogic.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 06:25 PM
So they have opinions you don't agree with.

Stop it. Nobody except Barkley has Oscar as 2nd greatest player ever.

You are fighting a losing battle, drop the ego and move on.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 06:32 PM
Stop it. Nobody except Barkley has Oscar as 2nd greatest player ever.

You are fighting a losing battle, drop the ego and move on.

You mean like when you said Pistol hit a lot of threes? There are multiple posts in this thread where you have shown yourself to be misinformed at best and most likely just full of crap. You are a random pro James troll. No, you are not more knowledgeable than Gasol, Barkley, Shaq, etc.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 06:41 PM
You mean like when you said Pistol hit a lot of threes? There are multiple posts in this thread where you have shown yourself to be misinformed at best and most likely just full of crap. You are a random pro James troll. No, you are not me knowledgeable than Gasol, Barkley, Shaw, etc.

This was your initial quote.

Modern players are better distance shooters. If you go back to Havlicek days they didn't even have a three to shoot and players that grew up without a line that suddenly got one aren't going to immediately take 30 a game.

https://www.sportshistoryweekly.com/stories/pistol-pete-maravich-lsu-ncaa-basketball-nba,636

Dale Brown, former coach at LSU, commissioned a study of every shot taken by Maravich and concluded that had there been a 3-point sweetener, Pistol's average would have increased to 57 baskets per game.

Pistol Pete was taking long range shots in college all the time before the 3 point line existed. My point was if he was put into the league today there is a good chance he would be attempting 3 point shots consistently. He wouldn't be handcuffed by coaches in the 80's to take those shots.

Then again, I'm arguing with someone that thinks the 90's & early 00's didn't go through as phase where ISO ball dominated the league and teams just recently are not playing like a "team".

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 06:53 PM
This was your initial quote.

https://www.sportshistoryweekly.com/stories/pistol-pete-maravich-lsu-ncaa-basketball-nba,636

Dale Brown, former coach at LSU, commissioned a study of every shot taken by Maravich and concluded that had there been a 3-point sweetener, Pistol's average would have increased to 57 baskets per game.

Pistol Pete was taking long range shots in college all the time before the 3 point line existed. My point was if he was put into the league today there is a good chance he would be attempting 3 point shots consistently. He wouldn't be handcuffed by coaches in the 80's to take those shots.

Then again, I'm arguing with someone that thinks the 90's & early 00's didn't go through as phase where ISO ball dominated the league and teams just recently are not playing like a "team".

Where did I say there was no ISO ball? Posting random nonsense doesn't help. Maravich hitting shots that would have been threes off there was a line...but there wasn't...proves nothing beyond showing that maravich could have been a good a there point shooter. Ok...and? What does that have to do with anything in this discussion? You are again focusing on one player who would have likely been a good there point shooter (byt how good we can only guessed) when we are talking about a whole league that did not have the three.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 07:00 PM
Where did I say there was no ISO ball?

You implied it by supporting Gasol's quote and saying he knows his history.

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2023, 07:04 PM
You implied it by supporting Gasol's quote and saying he knows his history.

Gasol didn't even say there was no ISO ball let alone me. You can have conversations with imaginary friends in your head but please don't expect me to join in the discussion.

WhiteKyrie
03-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Gasol didn't even say there was no ISO ball let alone me. You can have conversations with imaginary friends in your head but please don't expect me to join in the discussion.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Haven’t laughed this hard on this site in quite sometime, thanks.

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 07:22 PM

Someone is backtracking.

warriorfan
03-18-2023, 07:38 PM

lmaooo

1987 the midget knows more about ball than pau gasol guys….

:roll:

1987_Lakers
03-18-2023, 07:49 PM
Smells like crack all of a sudden.

Full Court
03-18-2023, 09:51 PM

I haven't seen much evidence that you know NBA history.

I mean, you didn't even know that the Bulls/Pistons had one of the biggest rivalries in the history of the sport. And you were unaware of many of Lebron's choke jobs. So there's that.

RRR3
03-18-2023, 09:54 PM
I haven't seen much evidence that you know NBA history.

I mean, you didn't even know that the Bulls/Pistons had one of the biggest rivalries in the history of the sport. And you were unaware of many of Lebron's choke jobs. So there's that.
Banned :roll:

Axe
03-18-2023, 09:55 PM
:roll::roll::roll:

1987_Lakers
03-19-2023, 12:26 AM
Banned :roll:

1987_Lakers
03-19-2023, 01:04 AM
Just realized AlternativeAcc was banned as well. Was there a post of his deleted that I did not see?

RRR3
03-19-2023, 02:44 AM
Just realized AlternativeAcc was banned as well. Was there a post of his deleted that I did not see?
He probably had a raging meltdown at RWMG again. He's completely unhinged :lol

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 05:07 AM
Being good at playing basketball does not mean good at analyzing the game or player evaluation etc. sure some end up being good coaches or gms but more likely ended up being bad. The list of best gms and coaches of all time does not have many former great players.

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 07:07 AM
Being good at playing basketball does not mean good at analyzing the game or player evaluation etc. sure some end up being good coaches or gms but more likely ended up being bad. The list of best gms and coaches of all time does not have many former great players.

It normally goes hand in hand with a solid knowledge of the game's history.

Wardell Curry
03-19-2023, 07:58 AM
The reason they didn't want you to shoot in the first 8 seconds before was because it took longer to find a quality shot because more people were in the paint and today's shooting is better.

Teams and the league had not figured out the math behind 3 point shooting, which they now have and that is the primary reason that defenders have such a tough time, not the rule changes. It has opened up the paint entirely. Well, refs becoming progressively lax with carrying the ball is another reason.

Team basketball is definitely not gone. It's just simply that the math supports the idea of having 4-5 capable three point shooters and at least 1 of them needs to be very good at getting to the rim and passing. And pretty much every single team now looks and plays the same because of it.

From a skills standpoint, the NBA has never been better. It's going to be hard to deviate from the 4-5 out NBA meta without removing the 3 point line.

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 08:09 AM
The shooters are definitely better but acting like the potential for a tech for crowding if a defender just lands in the wrong spot has definitely had an impact. The techs being called in general are far more strict than the past.

Wardell Curry
03-19-2023, 08:12 AM
The shooters are definitely better but acting like the potential for a tech for crowding if a defender just lands in the wrong spot has definitely had an impact. The techs being called in general are far more strict than the past.

Ok but that's not the primary reason for the floor being completely open and nobody being in the paint. It's because of three point shooting adaptation. It's not the league office nor is it rule changes.

The refs allowing people to carry more than ever also plays a part. But that's not a rule change. It's just the whistle becoming looser and looser over time.

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 08:22 AM
The floor isn't wide open for every team, there are still plenty of squad that don't play 5 three point shooters. The game would still be heavy on threes but if you let defenders get physical again they would at least have a fair chance to stop a shooter and that would do a lot for fans of a more balanced game.

1987_Lakers
03-19-2023, 12:14 PM

Somebody who gets it.

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 12:26 PM
It normally goes hand in hand with a solid knowledge of the game's history.

I don’t see how watching and reading about games from 20 years ago goes hand in hand with playing basketball at a high lvl in your own era. Like just one example but it took watching The Last Dance to change Ja’s goat pick from lebron to mj, he obviously didn’t know nba history well or the last dance wouldn’t have been as eye opening, also it’s 2 different things to analyze film as a player and analyzing it as a scout or coach or front office exec.

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty much bored with you, sorry. You think Gasol doesn't know nba history? Fine be ignorant.

RRR3
03-19-2023, 12:31 PM
I'm pretty much bored with you, sorry. You think Gasol doesn't know nba history? Fine be ignorant.
What evidence do you have that he’s an expert on NBA history? Him playing basketball doesn’t mean he knows a lot about past eras.

1987_Lakers
03-19-2023, 12:34 PM
What evidence do you have that he’s an expert on NBA history? Him playing basketball doesn’t mean he knows a lot about past eras.

He doesn't.

LeBron who many say "knows his history" had Dr. J and Larry Bird in his top 3, years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQzh1-0jx8

We need to stop putting these players on a pedastal like they know everything. I remember years ago watching some video of NBA rookies and they couldn't even answer who the all-time scoring leader was, which is something most fans know when they are kids.

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 12:47 PM

He could but I’m challenging your point that being a great nba player equals knowing nba history and I think you’re the one being close minded here

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 12:49 PM

What evidence is there either way? All we know for sure is he played for well over a decade... win championships with an iconic franchise, played with and against some of the greatest coaches and players of all time ...but random jackass on the internet who is only posting to say Lebron james is the GOAT is no doubt better informed.

People on this site and the web in general think someone that has been involved in basketball at the highest levels for their whole life must be ignorant because they have a different opinion. It is what it is. And what it is is stupid.

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 12:50 PM
He could but I’m challenging your point that being a great nba player equals knowing nba history and I think you’re the one being close minded here

I absolutely am. The discussion is just too stupid.

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 12:51 PM
He doesn't.

LeBron who many say "knows his history" had Dr. J and Larry Bird in his top 3, years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQzh1-0jx8

We need to stop putting these players on a pedastal like they know everything. I remember years ago watching some video of NBA rookies and they couldn't even answer who the all-time scoring leader was, which is something most fans know when they are kids.

They are guys who spend so much time perfecting their games and on their businesses and enjoying life etc I think it’s actually kind of ridiculous to assume they have more time than us losers to watch or read about old nba games. They just know basketball much better than we do so they don’t need to watch as many games to make conclusions but it doesn’t matter if you don’t care or have any time.

1987_Lakers
03-19-2023, 12:52 PM
All we know for sure is he played for well over a decade... win championships with an iconic franchise, played with and against some of the greatest coaches and players of all time .

You could apply this to Shaq as well.

https://fadeawayworld.net/.image/t_share/MTg0MjMyMTMwMzg4MTc0NzIz/242599185_1283159785452111_3860117984814972667_n.j pg

iamgine
03-19-2023, 12:55 PM
I think Pau is just saying fluff, safe interview answers. "Lower defense" and "teamwork is the essence"...It sounds like that to me.

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 12:57 PM

I see from your other comment what you’re arguing but being an expert on your era which Pau is does not mean you’re an expert on what happened before you played. Also from the countless bad gms and coaches and bad tv analysts, no being great doesn’t mean you’re one of the best at analyzing film.

Most people on the web don’t know anything myself included. However once in awhile we produce someone like Daryl morey or some no name analytics guy who gets hired by a team. I have no problem saying those guys are better at analyzing basketball than plenty of all time greats.

tontoz
03-19-2023, 01:13 PM
I have seen a lot of cringe takes from former players. Being a former player doesn't mean their opinions aren't ridiculous at times.

However there is no question that the rules now make it a lot tougher to play defense than previous eras. An offensive player can run into a defender and get to the foul line routinely now.

I think the league has overreacted to the Wallace Pistons winning the title with suffocating defense which was hard to watch.

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 01:44 PM

You're getting destroyed and embarrassed like you always do. You're too stupid for the discussion.

Literally everyone disagrees with you and is toying with your inferior intellect. I'm sure you're used to that in real life.

Wardell Curry
03-19-2023, 01:47 PM
Here is the summation of Real Men Wear Green's argument...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

It's something that, quite frankly, a lot of if not most people fall for when they don't know.

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 01:51 PM
They are guys who spend so much time perfecting their games and on their businesses and enjoying life etc I think it’s actually kind of ridiculous to assume they have more time than us losers to watch or read about old nba games. They just know basketball much better than we do so they don’t need to watch as many games to make conclusions but it doesn’t matter if you don’t care or have any time.

It doesn't mean they 'knows basketball more. Playing at the highest level takes absurd genetics and talent. Pau made the NBA because he's a near 7 feet and he was great from a young age. Those things have NOTHING to do with knowing history or having a birds eye view of the eras. If anything, since he came up in a very ugly defensive style it BIASES him towards thinking thats the "right" way to play and anything that diverges from that way is bad. We see players biased towards their era all the time.

Anybody blindly taking a players word for what they say is quite literally a disabled person mentally. Unable to think even the slightest bit critically.

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 01:53 PM

It's something that, quite frankly, a lot of if not most people fall for when they don't know.

Bingo

Real Men Wear Green
03-19-2023, 02:10 PM

And what is it that I "don't know?" Pau Gasol was taught basketball by Phil Jackson. But somehow he doesn't know the game's history because...why? The primary proof of players being ignorant being pointed at by the ignorant people in this thread is something like James saying Bird and Dr J are top 3. That's not ignorance. That's an opinion. People on this forum are arrogant and stupid enough to think they know more about ball than guys like James, Barkley, Gasol. It's just stupid. These guys get their opinion on Jordan from box scores and advanced metrics. Barkley meanwhile faced him in a Finals series. Of course players are generally more knowledgeable.

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 02:12 PM
It doesn't mean they 'knows basketball more. Playing at the highest level takes absurd genetics and talent. Pau made the NBA because he's a near 7 feet and he was great from a young age. Those things have NOTHING to do with knowing history or having a birds eye view of the eras. If anything, since he came up in a very ugly defensive style it BIASES him towards thinking thats the "right" way to play and anything that diverges from that way is bad. We see players biased towards their era all the time.

Anybody blindly taking a players word for what they say is quite literally a disabled person mentally. Unable to think even the slightest bit critically.

Well nba players especially the good ones have also watched far more film than the average fan and are in meetings with coaches etc. yea they will see things watching games way faster than we do. There are exceptions but I was talking in general. You cannot be a great nba player off just genetics, you need bball iq

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 02:24 PM
Well nba players especially the good ones have also watched far more film than the average fan and are in meetings with coaches etc. yea they will see things watching games way faster than we do. There are exceptions but I was talking in general. You cannot be a great nba player off just genetics, you need bball iq

The good ones are typically the genetic outliers. The role players are the ones who tend to know the game better and end up becoming great head coaches. So this idea that the better player you are the more you know is patently false. It seems to be the opposite.

And I wasn't really comparing them to average fans. Casual fans are pretty bad with knowing basketball and it's history. I'm more talking about the characters we see in this thread. Guys like Pau don't automatically know the game better. They know their specific era better in terms of specifics, ie plays and strategic stuff that sometimes we miss. But again, that's only specific to their own teams strategies. Not every team runs the same plays and deploys the same strategies. But overall basketball isn't a hard sport to understand and analyze. Playing at a high level only allows more specificity but doesn't actually prove to translate to being able to dissect the game effectively. Or else we'd see former players constantly have the best takes and opinions. But it's typically the opposite. They don't know the game.(most of them) ... but the ones that actually do weren't superstars.

NBAGOAT
03-19-2023, 02:33 PM
The good ones are typically the genetic outliers. The role players are the ones who tend to know the game better and end up becoming great head coaches. So this idea that the better player you are the more you know is patently false. It seems to be the opposite.

And I wasn't really comparing them to average fans. Casual fans are pretty bad with knowing basketball and it's history. I'm more talking about the characters we see in this thread. Guys like Pau don't automatically know the game better. They know their specific era better in terms of specifics, ie plays and strategic stuff that sometimes we miss. But again, that's only specific to their own teams strategies. Not every team runs the same plays and deploys the same strategies. But overall basketball isn't a hard sport to understand and analyze. Playing at a high level only allows more specificity but doesn't actually prove to translate to being able to dissect the game effectively. Or else we'd see former players constantly have the best takes and opinions. But it's typically the opposite. They don't know the game.(most of them) ... but the ones that actually do weren't superstars.

I think stuff like analyzing how to attack different defenses is just very different from analyzing whos a better player. That’s where most bad analysis comes from. Lot of guys who do analysis also are obviously just not watching many games

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 02:39 PM
I think stuff like analyzing how to attack different defenses is just very different from analyzing whos a better player. That’s where most bad analysis comes from. Lot of guys who do analysis also are obviously just not watching many games

But being a player means you're focused on your position. How to attack as a PF is different than how to attack as a team. The players are focused primarily on specific at their position, the coach obviously understands the big picture better. Sure, Pau knows more about being a PF in his specific era than most. Doesn't say or matter much though.

And again- I don't see many great players making great takes on specifics anyhow. Basketball isn't rocket science either. Guys like 87 Lakers knows the game and can understand strategies as well or better than a guy like Pau. Him playing doesn't give him an objective advantage.

And really, he's not even talking specifics at all. His points are vague and smell of obvious era bias.

BarberSchool
03-19-2023, 03:27 PM
Pau is literally a neurosurgeon by now, isn’t he ?

(Not jk, he was receiving ongoing neurosurgeon education during his last professional basketball years)

With the intelligence and knowledge required to do that, it’s safe to say Pau has extremely strong abilities of:

1. Perceptability

2. Pattern recognition

3. Interpretative judgement

The game is certainly changing, likely in ways that aren’t fully organic, but more coordinated to maximize entertainment value and connectability for the widest global “every man” fanbase.

BigShotBob
03-19-2023, 04:02 PM
But being a player means you're focused on your position. How to attack as a PF is different than how to attack as a team. The players are focused primarily on specific at their position, the coach obviously understands the big picture better. Sure, Pau knows more about being a PF in his specific era than most. Doesn't say or matter much though.

And again- I don't see many great players making great takes on specifics anyhow. Basketball isn't rocket science either. Guys like 87 Lakers knows the game and can understand strategies as well or better than a guy like Pau. Him playing doesn't give him an objective advantage.

And really, he's not even talking specifics at all. His points are vague and smell of obvious era bias.

Now I've seen it all

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 04:22 PM

Now I've seen it all

You guys act like understanding basketball strategy is like curing cancer. :oldlol:

****ing morons.

Pau said stupid shit and nobody can defend it so strawmans were created and it turned into a completely different convo to deflect. Gotta love it. :lol

Axe
03-19-2023, 04:25 PM
You guys act like understanding basketball strategy is like curing cancer. :oldlol:

****ing morons.

Pau said stupid shit and nobody can defend it so strawmans were created and it turned into a completely different convo to deflect. Gotta love it. :lol
Lol how come you could bypass your 'Banned' status? The most braindead lebron hater (you-know-who) isn't so lucky, after all.

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 04:38 PM
Lol how come you could bypass your 'Banned' status? The most braindead lebron hater (you-know-who) isn't so lucky, after all.

Jeff and I have communicated for years

Love the guy

SATAN
03-19-2023, 08:14 PM
It's actually pretty funny seeing all these has beens turning into "typical" whining boomers.

BigShotBob
03-19-2023, 09:17 PM

****ing morons.

90% of you don't know what an elevator screen is without googling it. Don't fool yourself.

1987_Lakers
03-19-2023, 09:21 PM
90% of you don't know what an elevator screen is without googling it. Don't fool yourself.

Says the guy who said Tatum didn't play any defense.

BigShotBob
03-19-2023, 09:43 PM
Says the guy who said Tatum didn't play any defense.

Wiggins played better defense on Tatum in the Finals than Tatum played in his entire career.

AlternativeAcc.
03-19-2023, 09:43 PM

You get destroyed in every thread trying to talk basketball.

Got you bringing up elevator screens out of desperation. :roll:

BigShotBob
03-19-2023, 09:54 PM
You get destroyed in every thread trying to talk basketball.

Got you bringing up elevator screens out of desperation. :roll:

Who unbanned you?

Spurs m8
03-19-2023, 10:15 PM

The dumb cvnt has spoken..
Everyone listen in to the opposite of the truth