PDA

View Full Version : DEN vs PHI to determine MVP award?

iamgine
03-26-2023, 09:19 AM
Jokic just obliterated Giannis. He'll now face Embiid two days later. I think this game will determine who wins MVP.

ArbitraryWater
03-26-2023, 09:21 AM
I think it should.

Theyre neck and neck, let it come down to who's got the balls in this match-up to end the regular season.

Its only fair.

Mask the Embiid
03-26-2023, 09:35 AM
No it won’t. Because when embiid kicks jokic’s ass (again). Y’all willl still cry RAPTor! “Bu bu but box score plus minus!” Just eat shit and stay on your side. We don’t want you over here. Ya boys time is up. Vegas is plugged in with the voters and we all know who is favorited. No matter how much crying the fans do you can’t change it. O yeah tell jokic we said thanks for knocking Giannis out of the mvp race for us….good shit :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
03-26-2023, 09:36 AM
No it won’t. Because when embiid kicks jokic’s ass (again). Y’all willl still cry RAPTor! “Bu bu but box score plus minus!” Just eat shit and stay on your side. We don’t want you over here

somebody seems afraid of it coming down to this game

DMAVS41
03-26-2023, 12:00 PM
No it won’t. Because when embiid kicks jokic’s ass (again). Y’all willl still cry RAPTor! “Bu bu but box score plus minus!” Just eat shit and stay on your side. We don’t want you over here. Ya boys time is up. Vegas is plugged in with the voters and we all know who is favorited. No matter how much crying the fans do you can’t change it. O yeah tell jokic we said thanks for knocking Giannis out of the mvp race for us….good shit :oldlol:

Joel is currently in the lead and if the Sixers win tomorrow...almost nothing could prevent him from winning it. If, however, the Nuggets win with Jokic playing great...it will be close to 50/50...just like it should be.

Not sure what you are crying about.

1987_Lakers
03-26-2023, 12:31 PM
It is kinda odd to me how everyone made a big deal about the Nuggets losing 4 straight, that is the moment Jokic lost the MVP to some fans and media, but the Sixers have lost 3 of their last 4 and nobody bats an eye.

DMAVS41
03-26-2023, 12:33 PM
It is kinda odd to me how everyone made a big deal about the Nuggets losing 4 straight, that is the moment Jokic lost the MVP to some fans and media, but the Sixers have lost 3 of their last 4 and nobody bats an eye.

It is because the talking heads on tv started negatively talking about Jokic around the same time that losing streak happened....in combination with Joel playing amazing and the Sixers winning a bunch.

Now it has kind of evened up a little in terms of individual and team performance. Joel, rightly imo, is in the lead, but not so much that Jokic can't win. Tomorrow can either lock it up for Joel or make it roughly 50/50 in my mind.

Should be interesting.

limp ***** tried to determine from opening night jokic wouldn't win 3 in a row

3 will only lead to 4 will only lead to 5 etc.

it will get out of control

and denver's coach

who said jokic is a generational talent similar to lebron

will be vindicated

fourkicks44
03-26-2023, 04:40 PM
I'm hyped for the game and despite not agreeing with it, I except things for the way they are ie. Inept voters.

Let's be serious tho, what a stupid proposition that a season long MVP award can be decided by one national TV game.

It was stupid when it happened last year and it is stupid now.

Xiao Yao You
03-26-2023, 04:42 PM
I'm hyped for the game and despite not agreeing with it, I except things for the way they are ie. Inept voters.

Let's be serious tho, what a stupid proposition that a season long MVP award can be decided by one national TV game.

someone gets it

DMAVS41
03-26-2023, 04:51 PM

I don't think it will be decided tomorrow night unless the Sixers win...and, honestly, in that case...I'd agree. Last time they met the Sixers won and Joel outplayed Jokic. If the same result happens...how do you not give the MVP to Joel?

I don't think it is fair to say one game determines it...so much has led up to this where it is a really close race and it will only be "decided" if the Sixers win.

Seems pretty good to me.

imdaman99
03-26-2023, 04:52 PM
Embiid gets up for these individual matchups.

fourkicks44
03-26-2023, 05:08 PM
I don't think it will be decided tomorrow night unless the Sixers win...and, honestly, in that case...I'd agree. Last time they met the Sixers won and Joel outplayed Jokic. If the same result happens...how do you not give the MVP to Joel?

I don't think it is fair to say one game determines it...so much has led up to this where it is a really close race and it will only be "decided" if the Sixers win.

Seems pretty good to me.

So if Denver wins what do you think happens next? It's still an open race?

DMAVS41
03-26-2023, 06:31 PM
So if Denver wins what do you think happens next? It's still an open race?

Absolutely. I think it would be 50/50 with a Denver win and Jokic playing well. Might still favor Joel slightly.

You?

fourkicks44
03-26-2023, 07:18 PM
Absolutely. I think it would be 50/50 with a Denver win and Jokic playing well. Might still favor Joel slightly.

You?

I honestly don't know, brother.

It is becoming a bit of a distraction on the Philadelphia side tbh. The ring is the ultimate goal. If this MVP stuff wasn't hanging around Joel would be taking some nights of I'm sure.

If they were desperate for wins I'm sure he would still play but the fact is the 3 seed is almost a certainty now. Joel healthy for the playoffs is all that matters at this point to me.

I'm still bitter about a lot of things, particularly from last season but Joker winning MVP this year won't be one of them. Sure it would be nice if Joel won but it doesn’t matter to me no more.

My beef is with the voters, the unwarranted power they have and the way they conduct themselves .

DMAVS41
03-26-2023, 08:05 PM
I honestly don't know, brother.

It is becoming a bit of a distraction on the Philadelphia side tbh. The ring is the ultimate goal. If this MVP stuff wasn't hanging around Joel would be taking some nights of I'm sure.

If they were desperate for wins I'm sure he would still play but the fact is the 3 seed is almost a certainty now. Joel healthy for the playoffs is all that matters at this point to me.

I'm still bitter about a lot of things, particularly from last season but Joker winning MVP this year won't be one of them. Sure it would be nice if Joel won but it doesn’t matter to me no more.

My beef is with the voters, the unwarranted power they have and the way they conduct themselves .

Yea, I hope Joel gets it because, while I think Jokic was reasonable the last 2 years and would be this year, for Joel to finish 2nd...three straight years, that would suck and you can see it weigh on him. I think most voters likely take it quite seriously and do a good job, but also a lot of group think as well.

Philly has a real chance this year...it will be super hard, but it is on the table...of course them being healthy is easily the most important thing.

Xiao Yao You
03-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Philadelphia: Joel Embiid (right calf tightness), James Harden (left achilles soreness) and Danuel House (right shoulder soreness) are questionable for Monday’s game (https://*********.com/lists/nba-injuries-tracker/) against Denver.
– via Alberto De Roa @ ********* (https://*********.com/lists/nba-injuries-tracker/)

fourkicks44
03-26-2023, 09:04 PM
Philadelphia: Joel Embiid (right calf tightness), James Harden (left achilles soreness) and Danuel House (right shoulder soreness) are questionable for Monday’s game (https://*********.com/lists/nba-injuries-tracker/) against Denver.
– via Alberto De Roa @ ********* (https://*********.com/lists/nba-injuries-tracker/)

Pretty standard status for Embiid.

I don't think there is too much questioning if he is going to play.

That being said it would be amusing to see him just sit out the game in protest of the whole award circus.

kawhileonard2
03-26-2023, 10:00 PM
Need to win a title before a 3rd mvp.

basketballcat
03-26-2023, 10:21 PM
No, it won't. Jokic already has this in the bag, barring a major meltdown.

Denver is atop the West. Embiid is 3rd in the East with an inferior record.

Jokic leads all the major advanced stats, almost all by a HUGE margin. Only PER is close. Jokic obliterates everybody else on WS, box +/-, and VORP.

Obviously, Embiid is the better defender. However, the difference is not as big as some people might imagine. Embiid is better at blocks, but Jokic is better at steals and defensive rebounds.

Anyway, since when did the MVP become "best 2-way player"? Curry never made it to the All Defensive team. Not once. How many MVPs does he have? If it was best 2-way player, then Kawhi should have won it unanimously in 2016. Let me pre-empt the ignorant comment: he played 72 games that season.

Let's face it, some people just can't process the completeness and efficiency of Jokic's game. He's 63.3% FG% versus Embiid's 54.5%. Huge difference. He's shooting 39.0% from 3. That's on par with Durant and Dirk. He's #4 in assists, which is astounding for a Center. 2000s Sacramento has great passing bigs: Divac and Webber. Jokic has more assists that those two COMBINED. He's having an absurd season.

Embiid's personal record is 40W - 21L. Jokic's is 47W - 19L. Jokic is the clear MVP.

DMAVS41
03-26-2023, 10:34 PM

Jokic leads all the major advanced stats, almost all by a HUGE margin. Only PER is close. Jokic obliterates everybody else on WS, box +/-, and VORP.

Obviously, Embiid is the better defender. However, the difference is not as big as some people might imagine. Embiid is better at blocks, but Jokic is better at steals and defensive rebounds.

Anyway, since when did the MVP become "best 2-way player"? Curry never made it to the All Defensive team. Not once. How many MVPs does he have? If it was best 2-way player, then Kawhi should have won it unanimously in 2016. Let me pre-empt the ignorant comment: he played 72 games that season.

Let's face it, some people just can't process the completeness and efficiency of Jokic's game. He's 63.3% FG% versus Embiid's 54.5%. Huge difference. He's shooting 39.0% from 3. That's on par with Durant and Dirk. He's #4 in assists, which is astounding for a Center. 2000s Sacramento has great passing bigs: Divac and Webber. Jokic has more assists that those two COMBINED. He's having an absurd season.

Embiid's personal record is 40W - 21L. Jokic's is 47W - 19L. Jokic is the clear MVP.\

The best argument for Jokic is how good the Nuggets have been with him on the court...and just how bad they've been when he's off the court....and to have the stats / record...is insanely impressive.

However, it is not in the bag...not even close to over at this point. Joel is currently the MVP favorite.

BigShotBob
03-27-2023, 12:11 AM

Embiid's personal record is 40W - 21L. Jokic's is 47W - 19L. Jokic is the clear MVP.

"Inferior record" you mean one game

Embiid is far, far, far superior defender than Jokic. It's not even close. Embiid has actually been a better defender this year than he has been the previous two years. So try again.

Jokic has more players on his teams averaging double digits then Embiid does. In fact, Embiid leads his team's scoring by a wide margin (13), Jokic's next best scorer only averages 4 less points than him (Murray). So Jokic has more scoring help than Embiid and Giannis does for that matter.

Jokic's best argument before were that the Nuggets were injured. But they've been healthy and he still can't win more games than Embiid with Harden, Maxey, and Embiid missing some time.

It's over.

Embiid is the MVP

basketballcat
03-27-2023, 12:22 AM
Oh, the difference is "one game"?
Personal record on games that they actually played in this season:
Embiid: 40W - 21L
Jokic:s 47W - 19L

The "far, far, far superior defender" has 0.2 LESS spg, and 1.0 LESS drpg. In fact, Jokic leads the league in defensive box +/-.

Love how you pretend not to see the glaring advantage Jokic has in assists and FG%.

Box +/- literally tells you the player's impact on and off the court. Jokic is so far ahead. Or should I say "far, far, far"? :oldlol:
1. Jokic 13.2
2. Embiid 9.3
3. Doncic 9.3
4. Butler 8.4
5. Giannis 8.4

Value over replacement player is a similar stat. Again, Jokic is "far, far, far" ahead :lol
1. Jokic 8.6
2. Doncic 6.0
3. Embiid 6.0
4. Butler 5.2
5. Shai long ass name: 5.2

Those advanced stats literally tell you who the most VALUABLE player is. :confusedshrug:

1987_Lakers
03-27-2023, 12:23 AM
Not sure who is gonna win it, seems like a 2 man race at the moment between Jokic & Embiid, but Jokic is my pick for MVP at the moment.

BigShotBob
03-27-2023, 12:24 AM
Oh, this the difference is "one game"?

The "far, far, far superior defender" has 0.2 LESS spg, and 1.0 LESS drpg. In fact, Jokic leads the league in defensive box +/-.

Love how you pretend not to see the glaring advantage Jokic has in assists and FG%.

What happened last time they both personally played against each other?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsa9Qm-8eN8&ab_channel=NBAonESPN

What happened to that defensive box +/-? That .2 steals and 1.0 DRPG?

What about all those assists and glaring advantages Jokic has in FG%?

Welcome to reality.

basketballcat
03-27-2023, 12:27 AM
Yeah, he was the MVP of ONE GAME. Congratulations.

How about Joel's 60 other games? How about Jokic's 65 other games?

Box +/- literally tells you the player's impact on and off the court. Jokic is so far ahead. Or should I say "far, far, far"?
1. Jokic 13.2
2. Embiid 9.3
3. Doncic 9.3
4. Butler 8.4
5. Giannis 8.4

Value over replacement player is a similar stat. Again, Jokic is "far, far, far" ahead
1. Jokic 8.6
2. Doncic 6.0
3. Embiid 6.0
4. Butler 5.2

Those advanced stats literally tell you who the most VALUABLE player is.

BigShotBob
03-27-2023, 12:30 AM
Yeah, he was the MVP of ONE GAME. Congratulations.

Box +/- literally tells you the player's impact on and off the court. Jokic is so far ahead. Or should I say "far, far, far"?
1. Jokic 13.2
2. Embiid 9.3
3. Doncic 9.3
4. Butler 8.4
5. Giannis 8.4

Value over replacement player is a similar stat. Again, Jokic is "far, far, far" ahead
1. Jokic 8.6
2. Doncic 6.0
3. Embiid 6.0
4. Butler 5.2

Those advanced stats literally tell you who the most VALUABLE player is.

No, it tells you who has an entire offense centered around them and who doesn't. Again, nice try. Jokic has a heliocentric offense. Embiid plays pick and roll with Harden who has the ball in his hands more, same with Maxey.

Advanced stats didn't protect Jokic from choking away a big lead on the road and Embiid beat him like a dog and hung 47 points on his head

basketballcat
03-27-2023, 12:40 AM
Oh, the "choker" with a personal 47-19 record whilst clutch Embiid's record is 40-21. Makes total sense. :facepalm

Also, literally running your team's offense with the 4th most assists per game is somehow bad now? Okkaaayyyyy ... :wtf:

bison
03-27-2023, 12:42 AM
Absolutely. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think this a huge statement game for both players

basketballcat
03-27-2023, 01:22 AM
Are we going to ignore the fact that:
1. Jokic led his team to victory against the top seed in the East
2. He just cooked the DPOY frontrunner in a direct match up.
He's already way ahead in the MVP race. That victory against the Bucks should seal his 3rd MVP.

BigShotBob
03-27-2023, 02:13 AM
Are we going to ignore the fact that:
1. Jokic led his team to victory against the top seed in the East
2. He just cooked the DPOY frontrunner in a direct match up.
He's already way ahead in the MVP race. That victory against the Bucks should seal his 3rd MVP.

Embiid beat Giannis too...weeks before Jokic did

Try again.

basketballcat
03-27-2023, 02:19 AM
Embiid beat Giannis too...weeks before Jokic did

Try again.
Inescapable fact: :oldlol:

Congratulations on Embiid's "1-game MVP". :lol

Try again.

fourkicks44
03-27-2023, 03:38 PM
Pretty standard status for Embiid.

I don't think there is too much questioning if he is going to play.

That being said it would be amusing to see him just sit out the game in protest of the whole award circus.

:eek:

iamgine
03-28-2023, 12:36 AM
I think this is the nail in the coffin. With Denver winning and Embiid not playing, there's no way enough voters would vote for him now.