PDA

View Full Version : westbrook vs Irving

Jasper
03-27-2023, 10:17 AM
people have stated Westbrook can muck up a team as soon as he gets on it.

Irving withe Mav's last 10 games 3-7

out of the playoffs right now. :oldlol::facepalm:facepalm

ImKobe
03-27-2023, 10:33 AM
I mean it's not like either of them have underperformed in their roles -- there are bigger issues with both of those teams. Can't blame them for injuries and poor roster management.

rawimpact
03-27-2023, 10:41 AM
I mean it's not like either of them have underperformed in their roles -- there are bigger issues with both of those teams. Can't blame them for injuries and poor roster management.

I don't follow the Mavs but what other issues do they have?

Pre-trade I recall them doing pretty good... obviously they traded away key pieces for Irving but that's expected.

ImKobe
03-27-2023, 10:48 AM
I don't follow the Mavs but what other issues do they have?

Pre-trade I recall them doing pretty good... obviously they traded away key pieces for Irving but that's expected.

Luka's been playing hurt and has been struggling mentally off the court + Irving is playing hurt himself though he's played up to his expectations overall. Mavs I believe were 3 - 1 with Kyrie while Luka was out. Their defense is the biggest issue and it's not like anyone expected Kyrie to fix that. The idea was that Kyrie + Luka & shooters would at least be enough offensively that they'd outscore most teams but that's hard to achieve if Luka isn't on the same level as he was in the first half of the season. Their lack of rebounding & rim protection is worse than anyone imagined as well, that's not really something they gave up in the trade, it's been a problem all season. Mcgee MLE singing was a complete bust as he's unplayable as well.

Jasper
03-27-2023, 10:21 PM
mcgee and wood should be enough to board.

Last year wood was playing very well.. all most all-star calibur.

imdaman99
03-27-2023, 10:54 PM
That Mavericks team is deeply flawed. Luka needs 4 great defenders around him to cover for his lack of playing any but that just leads to Luka being the only one capable of scoring. Not enough 3 and D guys around for him.

HoopsNY
03-28-2023, 07:50 AM
Team chemistry takes time to build.

bizil
03-28-2023, 04:15 PM
Luka and Kyrie can work. The Mavs just gotta build the right squad around them. The thing is Kyrie could bounce BEFORE that get that chance. But Kyrie is the most SKILLED scorer ever among PG's. And he's a score first PG anyway. So he's JUST FINE playing off ball.

Phoenix
03-28-2023, 04:25 PM
Luka and Kyrie can work. The Mavs just gotta build the right squad around them. The thing is Kyrie could bounce BEFORE that get that chance. But Kyrie is the most SKILLED scorer ever among PG's. And he's a score first PG anyway. So he's JUST FINE playing off ball.

I'll hold judgement until the season ends but IMO this has 'half season rental' all over it.

Manny98
03-28-2023, 04:35 PM
Watching Dallas games, Luka is WAY to ball dominant to compliment, Kyrie to the point he may as well be a role player.

Luka works best with a bunch of 3+D role players around him rather than another star

Dallas play great when it's just Kyrie or just Luka but together they don't work whatsoever

bizil
03-28-2023, 05:57 PM
I'll hold judgement until the season ends but IMO this has 'half season rental' all over it.

Yep I agree! For whatever reason, the Mavs NEVER land a superstar-perennial All Star type of free agent in the prime of their career. So they rolled the dice on Kyrie with the trade. Plus Kyrie is gonna look at the landscape and feel he can be the missing piece for a squad ready to win a chip.

Phoenix
03-28-2023, 06:26 PM
Yep I agree! For whatever reason, the Mavs NEVER land a superstar-perennial All Star type of free agent in the prime of their career. So they rolled the dice on Kyrie with the trade. Plus Kyrie is gonna look at the landscape and feel he can be the missing piece for a squad ready to win a chip.

Both he and D'Angelo Russell are free agents after this season. It's quite possible D'Angelo's stay in LA is just as brief and well.....you see where I'm going with that.

kawhileonard2
03-28-2023, 09:52 PM
Westbrook won league mvp and is the all time leader in triple doubles.

Jasper
03-29-2023, 10:40 AM

I stated that when the trade occurred. Either KD comes to Mav's or Irving goes to the Suns.
Well we know now that Irving will be a Sun.

WhiteKyrie
03-29-2023, 10:46 AM

No defense or rebounding for Dallas. Minimal time with Kyrie and Luka together and a lot of the games they lost were literally like less than 5.

Axe
03-29-2023, 10:59 AM
ImKobe has a weird fetish for those two guys so he'd try to vouch for them as much as possible.

Nb1
03-29-2023, 04:41 PM
You can't compare both teams. Dallas was in trouble and looked bad since the start of the season. They were losing even with Luka putting up crazy numbers and their defense is a big issue. The Clippers were favorites to win it all with Kawhi being healthy. Put any bum in that Clipper team and they would be fine, hell i still don't how he did it but they lost like 4 or 5 in a row as soon as WB arrived :roll:

Put WB in Dallas and it would have been even a bigger mess lol. Imagine someone like WB who can't shoot, can't defend, turns the ball over all the time at Dallas, Luka would've left already :oldlol:

Nike D'Antoni
03-29-2023, 10:06 PM
One has a ring, and the other doesn't.

ImKobe
03-30-2023, 03:26 AM
ImKobe has a weird fetish for those two guys so he'd try to vouch for them as much as possible.

WB with 36 & 10 in a road win against Memphis..

..meanwhile Reggie Jackson is racking up DNPs in Denver

But but Russ is a cancer and only makes teams worse!

Axe
03-30-2023, 04:38 AM
WB with 36 & 10 in a road win against Memphis..

..meanwhile Reggie Jackson is racking up DNPs in Denver

But but Russ is a cancer and only makes teams worse!
Lmao, so you think he'd post up those stats from that game on? I'm certain it was just a fluke. :yaohappy:

Xiao Yao You
03-30-2023, 09:43 AM
No defense or rebounding for Dallas. Minimal time with Kyrie and Luka together and a lot of the games they lost were literally like less than 5.

Too bad Gobert wasn't available... oh he was! :lol

Xiao Yao You
03-30-2023, 09:48 AM
Nobody is going to mistake Luka Doncic for Gary Payton or prime Kawhi Leonard on the defensive end of the ball, but at least one scout thinks he’s historically bad. ESPN’s Tim MacMahon appeared on the Lowe Post podcast Tuesday and said a scout called Doncic “the worst transition defender in the history of basketball” (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070462-luka-doncic-called-worst-transition-defender-in-history-of-basketball-by-nba-scout) (7:40 mark). Ouch. “That seems a little much, scout guy,” Zach Lowe responded, smiling. MacMahon did note that the scout didn’t make an analytical case for his assertion, saying simply, “just watch him,” when pressed on his opinion.
– via Timothy Rapp @ Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070462-luka-doncic-called-worst-transition-defender-in-history-of-basketball-by-nba-scout)

Jasper
03-30-2023, 10:10 AM
Nobody is going to mistake Luka Doncic for Gary Payton or prime Kawhi Leonard on the defensive end of the ball, but at least one scout thinks he’s historically bad. ESPN’s Tim MacMahon appeared on the Lowe Post podcast Tuesday and said a scout called Doncic “the worst transition defender in the history of basketball” (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070462-luka-doncic-called-worst-transition-defender-in-history-of-basketball-by-nba-scout) (7:40 mark). Ouch. “That seems a little much, scout guy,” Zach Lowe responded, smiling. MacMahon did note that the scout didn’t make an analytical case for his assertion, saying simply, “just watch him,” when pressed on his opinion.
– via Timothy Rapp @ Bleacher Report (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070462-luka-doncic-called-worst-transition-defender-in-history-of-basketball-by-nba-scout)

every player in the NBA (THESE ARE PRO's) have some sort of a weakness.
Why do you think MJ and Kobe worked so had in the gym !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smooth out those weaknesses as well as make them your strengths.

Ex: Lebron is very spotty on his defense .. thru the pro years has never really manned up.
Giannis - if pressured in the paint has less desire to pass out and sometimes gets trapped
Kawhi - has a weak three point shot so , like butler works more in mid-range

insight
03-30-2023, 12:12 PM
So many excuses for Luka, he is playing hurt, doesn't have the right teammates, doesn't have the right coach, dealing with issues off the court. etc...... Players like Trae Young or Embid catches all the HEAT when their teams under perform.
Media giving young stars the crown too early and they are bound to not meet expectations, it's called growing pains.