PDA

View Full Version : 24.9 / 11.9 / 9.9 vs. 25 / 12 / 10 -- does it matter historically?

elementally morale
03-28-2023, 11:45 AM
At the moment, Jokic averages basically 25/12/10. But not quite. For the record, he played 67 games. He has totals of 1670 points, 797 rebounds and 664 assists. If he had 1675, 804 and 670 respectively, he would be at 25/12/10. So 5 more points 7 more rebounds and 6 more assists.

I think we can agree this small amount of increase doesn't matter when it comes to his value. On the other hand... while it doesn't matter... does it really not? Historically speaking, especially in this era of social media and talking heads all over the place, I think it does matter. It shouldn't... but I think it does. A 25/12/10 triple double season is somehow looking better than a 24.9 / 11.9 / 9.9... 'almost' season.

Jokic is by no means a stat-padder and it just adds to his greatness. But what would you do? Knowing that you are more than capable of adding on average 1 point, 1 assist and a rebound or two to your season average in the remaining... let's say 5-6 games you have left this season... wouldn't you go for 25/12/10? I think I would try. I know I shouldn't but I would anyway. What would you do?

And the other question: do you think it matters long term if he does and succeeds? Let's say he plays 5 more games and averages 26.5 / 13.4 / 11.2. In other words, in 5 games (7 to be played but he will sit out one or two for sure, I think) he scores 132 points, grabs 67 rebounds and dishes out 56 assists, he is there. I know it should not matter at all. However, I think it does. Especially looking back 10 years from now.

So... what would you do? As much as I think I should not try going for stats, I think I'd try regardless just to have those nice, round numbers next to my name. Those numbers, 1st seed and a 55+ win season on a TS% over 70% is alien stuff. I couldn't resist.

Question 1.: What would you do?
Question 2.: Does it matter in the long run in the eyes of fans and media?

What do you think?

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2023, 11:50 AM
Literally nobody looks at stats that way, they're ALWAYS rounded up, so as long as they round up to 25/12/10 that's all that's going to matter. Nobody is going to chime in saying "Actually, he was at 24.9" :lol

ArbitraryWater
03-28-2023, 11:57 AM
Literally nobody looks at stats that way, they're ALWAYS rounded up, so as long as they round up to 25/12/10 that's all that's going to matter. Nobody is going to chime in saying "Actually, he was at 24.9" :lol

It absolutely matters to official / historic records.

Its like with 50/40/90 seasons. You do know no one that average 50/48.9/89.9 is in those achievements, right?

ArbitraryWater
03-28-2023, 11:58 AM
24.9 ppg and 9.9 apg is the biggest **** block statline ever

Its kinda funny. In his first season, Jokic averaged exactly 10 points and 7 rebounds.

Ever since then, he's just fallen short of the next numerical mark.

Every 7 seasons since, his rebounds are at .7-.9, points and assists also usually .+ and over.

Xiao Yao You
03-28-2023, 12:02 PM
triple doubles are one of the most overrated stats ever. Means little to me and I'm sure even less to Jokic

Airupthere
03-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Why are we talking about averages like they matter? Averages are a shortgevity game as the branstans say. Look at the totals to know how really good a player is when comparing.

elementally morale
03-28-2023, 12:16 PM
triple doubles are one of the most overrated stats ever. Means little to me and I'm sure even less to Jokic

I think it doesn't matter to Jokic. At least he seems to be not interested... I'm not sure as to what he really thinks... but I can imagine it meaning little to him.

The question is not what Jokic would/will do. I think it would interest ME if I were him. (And that's one of the many reasons he is greater than not just me but like 99.99% of players ever to have played professional bball.) However, the question is about YOU as in 'what would you do?'... and the question is also about going down in history retrospectively.

If it is exactly 25/12/10... somehow just looks nicer than 24.9 / 11.9 / 9.9. I think it matters in the long run given our society and the focus on numbers. I may be wrong, I'm not sure. But I'm sure I'd try to go for those numbers with having 2 monster games just for the fun of it. I don't want be be fake and say it wouldn't interest me. It would, unfortunately... or is that really unfortunate?

elementally morale
03-28-2023, 12:21 PM
Why are we talking about averages like they matter? Averages are a shortgevity game as the branstans say. Look at the totals to know how really good a player is when comparing.

I think we do because they somehow do. I mean... imagine Jordan not quitting in the mid 90s and plays two more Finals against the Rockets. Wins one and loses one. So instead of 6/6 he is 7/8. It's one more ring... but 6/6 has a nicer ring to it. In reality, it is 7 rings vs. 6... still... I dunno. In retrospect these tiny details seem to matter. Should they? I don't think so. But I think they do.

elementally morale
03-28-2023, 12:48 PM
Wilt's 100 game comes to mind. It's not 98 or 99. It matters. (Having this round number is such a gig deal I think it actually is better than him having had 101 or 103 points. We love these round numbers. Or Kobe's last game... 60. It mattered. Sure, 58 or 59 is 'the same'. Unless it's not. LeBron being the leader in total points. Longevity. Shouldn't matter. But it does. Jason Kidd's ring with Dallas. Shouldn't matter that much. I think it does. Steph Curry's unanimous MVP or 402 three pointers. I'm sure there are many more examples. Like running a marathon under 2 hours. Things like that.

Hey Yo
03-28-2023, 01:36 PM

Rent free

ShawkFactory
03-28-2023, 01:41 PM
Wilt's 100 game comes to mind. It's not 98 or 99. It matters. (Having this round number is such a gig deal I think it actually is better than him having had 101 or 103 points. We love these round numbers. Or Kobe's last game... 60. It mattered. Sure, 58 or 59 is 'the same'. Unless it's not. LeBron being the leader in total points. Longevity. Shouldn't matter. But it does. Jason Kidd's ring with Dallas. Shouldn't matter that much. I think it does. Steph Curry's unanimous MVP or 402 three pointers. I'm sure there are many more examples. Like running a marathon under 2 hours. Things like that.

Why would Kidd's ring in 2011 not matter?

Xiao Yao You
03-28-2023, 01:44 PM

him winning a ring as a role player vs leading the Nets to a ring as the man isn't the same thing. It shouldn't rate him ahead of someone else just because he has one and they don't

DCL
03-28-2023, 01:47 PM
a store is selling something for $99.99.

some idiot marketer might promote it and say that it's selling for under a $100!!

maybe in technical terms, it's true, but in the real world, no, that shit is still 100 bucks.

kinda like that.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2023, 01:51 PM
him winning a ring as a role player vs leading the Nets to a ring as the man isn't the same thing. It shouldn't rate him ahead of someone else just because he has one and they don't

Well no, nobody said it was the same thing. He was the PG, lead playmaker, best/smartest perimeter defender and overall leader in many different ways. I get that he wasn't a star anymore but if he was a role player then that's the bar for what a role player is.

A 37 year old being able to influence a title team like that is impressive and absolutely should count IMO. But I'm not a fan of the 1 > 0 arguments anyway. So I wouldn't use to it to say that's why he's better than Stockton or Nash.

Kblaze8855
03-28-2023, 02:03 PM

Try saying Magic averaged a triple double in 1982 and see how true that is.

People round up except for that. Which is why nobody knows he basically did it.

elementally morale
03-28-2023, 02:32 PM

Kidd was/is basically the same player w/o that ring. It still matters he was on a team winning it all. I think it shouldn't account for much given his abilities as a magnificent player and having been to the Finals before... but in reality it matters he is not 'ringless'. So it doesn't change my view of him or if it does, marginally. I think it is a big deal to him though and I also think it elevates him quite a few spots as an all-time great.

At any rate: Could you resist the temptation if you were Nikola Jokic? You sure know your stats and you also know you are able to go on a few game rampage ti finish it off as a 25/12/10 player. I think this is something he should not do but also something I would do regardless knowing I shouldn't. If I could, I would. Shame on me. But it's true.

elementally morale
03-28-2023, 02:39 PM
Anyone here old enough besides kblaze to remember David Robinson, an all-around nice guy to go for the scoring championship in his very last game of the season when it happened? It did happen. At the time it drew controversy but looking back... I kinda understand him doing that. Does it add much to his career? I don't think so. Was it ill-advised? Probably. He still did it.

Xiao Yao You
03-28-2023, 03:00 PM
Anyone here old enough besides kblaze to remember David Robinson, an all-around nice guy to go for the scoring championship in his very last game of the season when it happened? It did happen. At the time it drew controversy but looking back... I kinda understand him doing that. Does it add much to his career? I don't think so. Was it ill-advised? Probably. He still did it.

had already happened with Gervin and Thompson I believe it was. Gervin had 60 and Thompson 70 or something. If it's a meaningless game otherwise I don't see a problem with it

Xiao Yao You
03-28-2023, 03:02 PM
https://www.nba.com/news/history-top-moments-1978-scoring-title-race

Xiao Yao You
03-28-2023, 03:05 PM
George’s 63 points that night in New Orleans meant that I had only held the scoring lead for about seven hours. Gervin’s Spurs lost, 152-132, but George had already broken my mark for most points in a quarter with 33 in the second frame. That has to be a record in itself. It took me 16 years to break Wilt’s mark, but it only took Gervin seven hours to break mine.

back when 60 wasn't happening every week