PDA

View Full Version : MVP voting is broken

basketballcat
03-29-2023, 05:52 PM
Why is it 100% decided by the media, many of whom are utter buffoons? Perkins is clearly a racist id*ot. He gets to cast a vote.

Why not coaches? Of course the coaches of the top contenders would be biased. The rest won't be. They know the game best. Then some percentage to players. Then a small percentage to select media.

No fan votes. People are idiots. Zaza was leading the fan All Star votes some years ago.

SouBeachTalents
03-29-2023, 05:56 PM
What makes you think the coaches would be any better? They selected the All-Defensive Teams until 2014 and they had plenty of questionable selections.

Xiao Yao You
03-29-2023, 06:03 PM
coaches certainly aren't the answer

AlternativeAcc.
03-29-2023, 06:08 PM
Any way you slice it, the award is generated by humans using subjective factors.

There's no way around it. They usually get it right, sometimes they don't.

The system isn't that bad. Compare it to boxing or mma where 3 guys decide who wins a fight instead of 100 that vote on MVP. It's actually a really good system overall.

Perkins might be a moron but his vote is 1% of the pool. Hardly a major factor.

Spurs m8
03-29-2023, 06:13 PM
The entire league is broken

fourkicks44
03-29-2023, 06:18 PM
Why is it 100% decided by the media, many of whom are utter buffoons? Perkins is clearly a racist id*ot. He gets to cast a vote.

Why not coaches? Of course the coaches of the top contenders would be biased. The rest won't be. They know the game best. Then some percentage to players. Then a small percentage to select media.

No fan votes. People are idiots. Zaza was leading the fan All Star votes some years ago.

I agree with most of this.

My question for you OP is do you think that Jokic shouldn't have won the MVP the last two seasons and do you believe the voters got his selections wrong?

basketballcat
03-29-2023, 06:26 PM
I agree with most of this.

My question for you OP is do you think that Jokic shouldn't have won the MVP the last two seasons and do you believe the voters got his selections wrong?

Haven't given in-depth thought on the previous 2 seasons, but this year it's definitely Jokic. I know some people here are allergic to stats. Just look at their record on games that they actually played on. The difference is clear.

basketballcat
03-29-2023, 06:31 PM
It's literally the coaches' job to figure out who in the other team is making his team's life miserable. They are effectively thinking about how to negate the MVP of the other team on a daily basis (don't forget pre-game prep). More importantly, their job is measured by how well they make this assessment. There are very real consequences for getting it wrong. Compare that to media, who deliberately make hot takes just to pump up viewership. They got something wrong? So what? On to the next hot take. That's why coaches are far better at determining the MVP.

Are coaches biased? Of course. But I would argue less so than most groups. I would also argue that their bias would be of a different nature than other groups. Each group would have their own bias. Put several of those together, as I have proposed, then perhaps some of those biases cancel out. This the concept behind ensemble methods in statistics. I never said coaches only, for those who have reading comprehension challenges.

Trusting the MVP 100% to media? Dumb system.

Full Court
03-29-2023, 06:35 PM

You don't think coaches are biased and buffoons too?

:biggums:

Xiao Yao You
03-29-2023, 06:41 PM
It's literally the coaches' job to figure out who in the other team is making his team's life miserable. They are effectively thinking about how to negate the MVP of the other team on a daily basis (don't forget pre-game prep). More importantly, their job is measured by how well they make this assessment. There are very real consequences for getting it wrong. Compare that to media, who deliberately make hot takes just to pump up viewership. They got something wrong? So what? On to the next hot take. That's why coaches are far better at determining the MVP.

Are coaches biased? Of course. But I would argue less so than most groups. I would also argue that their bias would be of a different nature than other groups. Each group would have their own bias. Put several of those together, as I have proposed, then perhaps some of those biases cancel out. This the concept behind ensemble methods in statistics. I never said coaches only, for those who have reading comprehension challenges.

Trusting the MVP 100% to media? Dumb system.

coaches do an awful job with all stars. They don't even necessarily do it themselves handing it off to an assistant

basketballcat
03-29-2023, 06:53 PM
coaches do an awful job with all stars. They don't even necessarily do it themselves handing it off to an assistant

Cite an example.

I'll give you another media id*ot, in addition to Perkins. In 2016-2017, a certain m*ron named Richard Walker didn't vote Kawhi for the All Defensive team at all. He voted for Lillard. On that year, Kawhi was 6th in defensive WS, 8th in defensive +/-, and 8th in defensive rating. Draymond Green was the only forward that was clearly above him.

Why he voted Lillard at all is a mystery. He averaged a measly 0.9 stls, 0.3 blks, and 4.3 defensive rebounds. Total ret*rd vote. Maybe he handed out the ballot to an intern? :kobe:

https://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/06/2016-17-NBA-All-Defensive-Team-Voting-Results.pdf

basketballcat
03-29-2023, 06:57 PM
You don't think coaches are biased and buffoons too?

:biggums:

It's literally the coaches' job to figure out who in the other team is making his team's life miserable. :kobe: They are effectively thinking about how to negate the MVP of the other team on a daily basis (don't forget pre-game prep). More importantly, their job is measured by how well they make this assessment. There are very real consequences for getting it wrong. Compare that to media, who deliberately make hot takes just to pump up viewership. They got something wrong? So what? On to the next hot take. That's why coaches are far better at determining the MVP.

Are coaches biased? Of course. But I would argue less so than most groups. I would also argue that their bias would be of a different nature than other groups. Each group would have their own bias. Put several of those together, as I have proposed, then perhaps some of those biases cancel out. This the concept behind ensemble methods in statistics. I never said coaches only, for those who have reading comprehension challenges. :yaohappy:

Trusting the MVP 100% to media? Dumb system. :biggums:

Full Court
03-29-2023, 07:19 PM
It's literally the coaches' job to figure out who in the other team is making his team's life miserable. :kobe: They are effectively thinking about how to negate the MVP of the other team on a daily basis (don't forget pre-game prep). More importantly, their job is measured by how well they make this assessment. There are very real consequences for getting it wrong. Compare that to media, who deliberately make hot takes just to pump up viewership. They got something wrong? So what? On to the next hot take. That's why coaches are far better at determining the MVP.

Are coaches biased? Of course. But I would argue less so than most groups. I would also argue that their bias would be of a different nature than other groups. Each group would have their own bias. Put several of those together, as I have proposed, then perhaps some of those biases cancel out. This the concept behind ensemble methods in statistics. I never said coaches only, for those who have reading comprehension challenges. :yaohappy:

Trusting the MVP 100% to media? Dumb system. :biggums:

^This Bronie actually thinks all coaches are doing a good job of that. :roll:

Says all you need to know.

basketballcat
03-29-2023, 07:32 PM
^This Bronie actually thinks all coaches are doing a good job of that. :roll:

Says all you need to know.

^This :milton actually thinks making claims without any proof/basis would fly. :facepalm

Says all you need to know. :kobe:

ArbitraryWater
03-29-2023, 08:13 PM
Media does it the best, by far.

Jasper
03-30-2023, 12:55 PM
I think the voting system for MVP, Defensive player of year, Rook of year, as well as most improved should be broken into 3 or 4 segments.
Of all the games break it into 20 game segments... and have a vote.... at end of the season you tally them all up , and you have the players.

A lot of these voters can't remember back in Nov.. yet Jan.

1987_Lakers
03-30-2023, 01:01 PM
I'd rather the media do the voting as opposed to players because it's been proven some players are idiots, but it's still not a perfect system. Jokic should be running away with the award, but some people think it's close.

WhiteKyrie
03-30-2023, 01:23 PM
Should be 70% players and coaches. And 15% media and fans.

1987_Lakers
03-30-2023, 01:24 PM

:roll:

AlternativeAcc.
03-30-2023, 01:29 PM

Totally man!

Woke NBA players making up a big chunk of the vote. Give Irving and Morant a chance to win MVP too!

Fabulous idea.