PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Brunson 48 pts 7 threes 9 asts vs Cavs 22/23 season

Lebron23
04-01-2023, 10:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-tKWD66llk Jalen Brunson was a better fit for the Dallas Mavericks than Uncle Drew. last year Dallas advanced in the Conference Finals when Brunson was Luka Doncic's 2nd scoring option. Now Dallas are currently the 11th seed in the Western Conference. They have a slim chance of advancing in the play in tournament, but they have a tougher schedule in their remaining regular season games.

Manny98
04-01-2023, 12:55 PM
I think Luka is getting overrated because his extremely ball dominant play style reduces quality players like Brunson and Kyrie into role players

He's still top 10 talent wise but his impact on winning isn't even top 20

DMAVS41
04-01-2023, 01:19 PM
I think Luka is getting overrated because his extremely ball dominant play style reduces quality players like Brunson and Kyrie into role players

He's still top 10 talent wise but his impact on winning isn't even top 20

That is your conclusion after last year with Brunson?

Brunson averaged 22/5/4 in the playoffs last year next to Luka and they made the Western Finals with limited help around them. Your argument is that Brunson was reduced to a role player in the playoffs last year? Sorry, that just isn't true. I mean...I get the point, but you kind of have to ignore the most important games of Luka's career to conclude that. The Mavericks, with Luka and a weak supporting cast, have been great in the playoffs to date.

If the goal is to win in the playoffs...there is nothing anyone can say about Luka to date. In both series against the Clippers he was unreal good and the series was far closer than expected...then last year we all know what happened.

The problem is that the entire Mavs roster, outside of Kyrie, is made up of average at best role players. They aren't being reduced...they are role players...and not even high-end ones at that.

At least wait for him to have a decent roster before the "Luka can't win" shit really gets going...

Manny98
04-01-2023, 01:28 PM

Brunson averaged 22/5/4 in the playoffs last year next to Luka and they made the Western Finals with limited help around them. Your argument is that Brunson was reduced to a role player in the playoffs last year? Sorry, that just isn't true. I mean...I get the point, but you kind of have to ignore the most important games of Luka's career to conclude that. The Mavericks, with Luka and a weak supporting cast, have been great in the playoffs to date.

If the goal is to win in the playoffs...there is nothing anyone can say about Luka to date. In both series against the Clippers he was unreal good and the series was far closer than expected...then last year we all know what happened.

The problem is that the entire Mavs roster, outside of Kyrie, is made up of average at best role players. They aren't being reduced...they are role players...and not even high-end ones at that.

At least wait for him to have a decent roster before the "Luka can't win" shit really gets going...

Brunson played his best basketball before Luka came back in the Utah series, his numbers in the Phoenix & Warriors series were way down

From what I have seen of Kyrie and Luka together I feel Kyrie spends a lot of the time standing around in the corner when Luka has the ball, there's no real ball movement or teamwork being played that's why they're struggling

DMAVS41
04-01-2023, 01:53 PM
Brunson played his best basketball before Luka came back in the Utah series, his numbers in the Phoenix & Warriors series were way down

From what I have seen of Kyrie and Luka together I feel Kyrie spends a lot of the time standing around in the corner when Luka has the ball, there's no real ball movement or teamwork being played that's why they're struggling

You realize that any non-role player is going to see numbers reduce to a certain extent with any high scorer...right? Also, as you play better teams...things get harder. I'm not sure how many points you are expecting Brunson to score next to a 30 ppg scorer. Seems to me that scoring around 20 a game...especially with a 3rd scorer like Widdie who is capable of averaging 15 plus...is about right.

The reason the Mavs are struggling is because the team is not good. There are not good players on the Mavericks currently around Luka/Kyrie. I personally think there are versions of Luka/Kyrie working, but the team around them makes no sense and they are hardly an ideal pairing to begin with.

Regardless, I'd like to know what your expectations of the Mavericks in the playoffs has been over the last 3 years. Which series that Luka lost...should he have won? Where are you seeing that Luka isn't impacting winning in the playoffs so far in his career?

Manny98
04-01-2023, 02:35 PM
You realize that any non-role player is going to see numbers reduce to a certain extent with any high scorer...right? Also, as you play better teams...things get harder. I'm not sure how many points you are expecting Brunson to score next to a 30 ppg scorer. Seems to me that scoring around 20 a game...especially with a 3rd scorer like Widdie who is capable of averaging 15 plus...is about right.

The reason the Mavs are struggling is because the team is not good. There are not good players on the Mavericks currently around Luka/Kyrie. I personally think there are versions of Luka/Kyrie working, but the team around them makes no sense and they are hardly an ideal pairing to begin with.

Regardless, I'd like to know what your expectations of the Mavericks in the playoffs has been over the last 3 years. Which series that Luka lost...should he have won? Where are you seeing that Luka isn't impacting winning in the playoffs so far in his career?

I think Luka has overachieved so far in his career, but his teams will never reach a championship ceiling with his current playstyle

Kyrie still managed to get his when playing with KD & Bron but with Luka he looks like a shell of himself.

ArbitraryWater
04-01-2023, 02:50 PM

As would any star when the superstar comes back.

Have you not noticed this?

Lmao. Use your brain buddy

DMAVS41
04-01-2023, 03:12 PM
I think Luka has overachieved so far in his career, but his teams will never reach a championship ceiling with his current playstyle

Kyrie still managed to get his when playing with KD & Bron but with Luka he looks like a shell of himself.

I don't think it is fair to judge a player or team on such a small sample...especially when it is a team as poorly constructed as the current Mavs.

I also don't think Kyrie looks like a shell of himself either. He's had some really good games with Luka.

ShawkFactory
04-01-2023, 04:23 PM

Your gripes with Luka's game aren't entirely unjustified, but Kyrie is that type of guy. He doesn't really have an off-ball game.

imdaman99
04-02-2023, 01:29 AM
https://i.redd.it/g6nxo4r747ra1.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Xiao Yao You
04-02-2023, 08:36 AM

that limited help played great defense in their run last year. The game is played at two ends of the floor

DMAVS41
04-02-2023, 10:10 AM
that limited help played great defense in their run last year. The game is played at two ends of the floor

Yes...and they made the Western Conference Finals with Luka being the clear cut best player on the team. Not sure your point...are you arguing that Luka prevented them from making the finals and winning a title last year?

You see, in the real world, players are not perfect and this is well known to everyone. There are certain types of teams that need to be built around certain types of players. Luka, for example, needs quality defenders, shooting, and rim protection. A guy like Shaq is going to need an elite shot creator / scorer and role player shooting so the other team can't solely focus on him. Duncan is going to need similar things while needing less help defensively...etc.

Regardless, the Mavs last year overachieved based on their team. That was not a championship level supporting cast. However, I think it was not far away. It was probably only one legit piece away. Luka/Brunson/DFS with most of those role players coming back and Josh Green improving....with a rim protecting center...that would be a title type team.

For example, if you just gave the Mavs team last year, your favorite player Rudy...I think they would have had a great chance at winning.

Now though? They are a complete mess of a team with the wrong players around Luka and it will take a lot to fix.

Xiao Yao You
04-02-2023, 10:37 AM
Yes...and they made the Western Conference Finals with Luka being the clear cut best player on the team. Not sure your point...are you arguing that Luka prevented them from making the finals and winning a title last year?

You see, in the real world, players are not perfect and this is well known to everyone. There are certain types of teams that need to be built around certain types of players. Luka, for example, needs quality defenders, shooting, and rim protection. A guy like Shaq is going to need an elite shot creator / scorer and role player shooting so the other team can't solely focus on him. Duncan is going to need similar things while needing less help defensively...etc.

Regardless, the Mavs last year overachieved based on their team. That was not a championship level supporting cast. However, I think it was not far away. It was probably only one legit piece away. Luka/Brunson/DFS with most of those role players coming back and Josh Green improving....with a rim protecting center...that would be a title type team.

For example, if you just gave the Mavs team last year, your favorite player Rudy...I think they would have had a great chance at winning.

Now though? They are a complete mess of a team with the wrong players around Luka and it will take a lot to fix.

the problem is you aren't given All NBA players. You have to pay for them

DMAVS41
04-02-2023, 11:30 AM
the problem is you aren't given All NBA players. You have to pay for them

Yea, team building is really hard in the NBA if you aren't in a location that players will go to pretty much regardless...really, it is hard no matter what...and the Mavs have done a terrible job historically putting teams together.

Not sure how that is the fault of Luka though.

Nike D'Antoni
04-02-2023, 12:55 PM
Wow. Luka was really holding him back in Dallas.