PDA

View Full Version : Some People still thinks John Stockton is better than Stephen Curry??

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 09:06 AM
Curry already surpassed him after he won his first NBA title in 2015. And it's no longer a close comparison after Curry won his first finals MVP in 2022.

Curry is the 2nd best point guard after Magic Johnson.

John8204
04-03-2023, 09:22 AM
Stockton is the better pure PG, but Curry is #3 behind Magic and Oscar

Stockton 1st in Assists
Curry 46th in Assists

Stockton 1st in Steals
Curry 55th in Steals

Stockton 3rd in Value over Replacement
Curry 24th in Value over Replacement

Stockton is 8th in OWS
Curry is 30th in OWS

I'm fine with people saying Curry is better than Stockton...he's the best shooter of all-time but basketball isn't just shooting and Stockton is an all-time great.

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 09:33 AM

Stockton 1st in Assists
Curry 46th in Assists

Stockton 1st in Steals
Curry 55th in Steals

Stockton is 8th in OWS
Curry is 30th in OWS

I'm fine with people saying Curry is better than Stockton...he's the best shooter of all-time but basketball isn't just shooting and Stockton is an all-time great.

NO rings
terrible finals performer

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Give Stockton Green, Durant and Klay and I think he fares pretty well himself. Curry, Malone and Sloan might not have even made a finals

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 09:49 AM
Curry already surpassed him after he won his first NBA title in 2015. And it's no longer a close comparison after Curry won his first finals MVP in 2022.

You're not smart enough for these thinly veiled agenda topics.

Stockton 1st in Assists
Curry 46th in Assists

Stockton 1st in Steals
Curry 55th in Steals

Stockton is 8th in OWS
Curry is 30th in OWS

Just goes to show how useless some of these stats are. Stockton was great, but would the Jazz really drop off harder with and average replacement than the Warriors without Curry? Ofc Stockton will have a lot of points contributed for his teams over his career when his partner is the perfect roll man.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 09:50 AM
Give Stockton Green, Durant and Klay and I think he fares pretty well himself. Curry, Malone and Sloan might not have even made a finals

Of course not. Curry's strengths wouldn't have been utilized in the 90s.

Hey Yo
04-03-2023, 09:52 AM

He's not a PG

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 09:52 AM
You're not smart enough for these thinly veiled agenda topics.

Just goes to show how useless some of these stats are. Stockton was great, but would the Jazz really drop off harder with and average replacement than the Warriors without Curry? Ofc Stockton will have a lot of points contributed for his teams over his career when his partner is the perfect roll man.

the perfect roll man from the perfect passer. Stockton would have thrived elsewhere. One of the reasons they got better in the late 90's was because it wasn't just Stockton to Malone but Horny and an improved Malone could pass the ball and make plays too. Portland wanted Stockton. He might have had even a better career with that roster

90sgoat
04-03-2023, 09:54 AM
They're two different players.

Stockton is the best or second best pure point guard of all time.

Curry is, by far, the best combo guard of all time. Can't really compare someone who plays a lot off ball to someone who runs the offense.

I do like Curry and he should be getting a lot more credit in GOAT discussions, we have to talk close to top 10 all time now, with all his rings. He's also beaten Lebron several times and some people mistakenly put Lebron in the top 10.

90sgoat
04-03-2023, 09:55 AM

Late 90s he could have been. Iverson took off late 90s, so I think if Curry gets drafted instead of Iverson, he is allowed to do the things Iverson did.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 09:56 AM
Late 90s he could have been. Iverson took off late 90s, so I think if Curry gets drafted instead of Iverson, he is allowed to do the things Iverson did.

different players. Curry wouldn't have been throwing up prayers against triple teams

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 09:58 AM
John Stockton averaged 12.3 points, 8.8 assists and 3.3 rebounds in 12 games in the NBA Finals in his career.

Stephen Curry has averaged 27.3 points, 6.0 assists and 5.8 rebounds in 34 games in the NBA Finals in his career.

Say What???

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:02 AM
the perfect roll man from the perfect passer. Stockton would have thrived elsewhere. One of the reasons they got better in the late 90's was because it wasn't just Stockton to Malone but Horny and an improved Malone could pass the ball and make plays too. Portland wanted Stockton. He might have had even a better career with that roster

Not saying he wasn't the perfect passer. He was in that club for sure. Just saying a less talented team could've lowered his stats massively. Imagine the top scorer of his team being a Corey Maggette type.

Can't remember that rumor. Was it the Drexler or Jail Blazers?

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:04 AM
John Stockton averaged 12.3 points, 8.8 assists and 3.3 rebounds in 12 games in the NBA Finals in his career.

Stephen Curry has averaged 27.3 points, 6.0 assists and 5.8 rebounds in 34 games in the NBA Finals in his career.

Say What???

So you're saying Lebron could've won 3 games instead of 1 in the 17 and 18 finals if Stockton was the Warriors' pg?

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 10:08 AM
So you're saying Lebron could've won 3 games instead of 1 in the 17 and 18 finals if Stockton was the Warriors' pg?

yes. Curry is a better player than Malone and Stockton in the NBA Finals.

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 10:08 AM

Stockton averaged 9.7 ppg in the 1998 nba finals.

John8204
04-03-2023, 10:13 AM
NO rings
terrible finals performer

Made it to the post season 11 more times than Curry

Axe
04-03-2023, 10:15 AM
Made it to the post season 11 more times than Curry
Stockston also defeat kobe during the 1998 playoff.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:17 AM
yes. Curry is a better player than Malone and Stockton in the NBA Finals.

Q: How dense are you?

A: Yes.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Not saying he wasn't the perfect passer. He was in that club for sure. Just saying a less talented team could've lowered his stats massively. Imagine the top scorer of his team being a Corey Maggette type.

Can't remember that rumor. Was it the Drexler or Jail Blazers?

Yeah I just said the Jazz were better when Horny and Malone were passing the ball as well. He would have had more team success with Portland. Maybe scored more? Portland supposedly wanted to draft him so the Jazz did thinking they could trade him to the Blazers. I'd guess it took one practice to squash that notion. First time I saw him with the Jazz I thought they should have traded Ricky Green who was one of the best pgs in the league. He was that good

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Q: How dense are you?

A: Yes.

Curry is just a better basketball player. Curry is a modern day point guard. You need to learn how to accept it. Stockton doesn't even have the killer Instinct of Isiah Thomas

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 10:19 AM

Say What???

in his mid 30's

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:23 AM
Yeah I just said the Jazz were better when Horny and Malone were passing the ball as well. He would have had more team success with Portland. Maybe scored more? Portland supposedly wanted to draft him so the Jazz did thinking they could trade him to the Blazers. I'd guess it took one practice to squash that notion. First time I saw him with the Jazz I thought they should have traded Ricky Green who was one of the best pgs in the league. He was that good

Not talking about the Jazz' performance, but Stockton's perception being ofc dependent on the receivers of his passes. Atleast when it comes to stats. He wouldn't have been a lesser player if the g2g of his team was a triple threat, post or iso scorer, but alot of people who didn't see him play would think differently of him nowadays.

Well that's way before my time. So the Blazers would've had a better version of the already very very good Terry Porter? Pretty sure that would've meant championships.

Hey Yo
04-03-2023, 10:24 AM
They're two different players.

Stockton is the best or second best pure point guard of all time.

Curry is, by far, the best combo guard of all time. Can't really compare someone who plays a lot off ball to someone who runs the offense.

I do like Curry and he should be getting a lot more credit in GOAT discussions, we have to talk close to top 10 all time now, with all his rings. He's also beaten Lebron several times and some people mistakenly put Lebron in the top 10.
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

John8204
04-03-2023, 10:25 AM
As the third option on his team...which is what you want from your point guard

But I want to hear why Curry is better than Oscar

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:31 AM
Curry is just a better basketball player. Curry is a modern day point guard. You need to learn how to accept it. Stockton doesn't even have the killer Instinct of Isiah Thomas

You can't even grasp the essence of my post to debunk your shit agenda to push Lebron and nothing else that's on your mind.

You think you put a pure point guard like Stockton on a team with off ball maestro Klay and a guy like KD who's equally as able off ball as on tt and isos and your mancrush would suddenly win? You think this point in a way somehow helps your agenda that the 90s competition is ass and the 2010s isn't?

The same boring repeated posts about the same 3 players you attack? Those posts aren't even original in any way. The smarter Lebron trolls made them for years and failed, because you can't compare Stockton's impact in a non shooting based league against someone like Curry who's basically a scorer first and second in a league that guns for high point games. What's your point? That an off ball shooter scores more in a 110ppg league than a pass first pg in a 90ppg league? Really, that's your evidence for your agenda?

There's room for pro Lebron takes over Jordan, but Stockton scoring less than Curry isn't one of those takes.

Lebron23
04-03-2023, 10:34 AM
You can't even grasp the essence of my post to debunk your shit agenda to push Lebron and nothing else that's on your mind.

You think you put a pure point guard like Stockton on a team with off ball maestro Klay and a guy like KD who's equally as able off ball as on tt and isos and your mancrush would suddenly win? You think this point in a way somehow helps your agenda that the 90s competition is ass and the 2010s isn't?

The same boring repeated posts about the same 3 players you attack? Those posts aren't even original in any way. The smarter Lebron trolls made them for years and failed, because you can't compare Stockton's impact in a non shooting based league against someone like Curry who's basically a scorer first and second in a league that guns for high point games. What's your point? That an off ball shooter scores more in a 110ppg league than a pass first pg in a 90ppg league? Really, that's your evidence for your agenda?

There's room for pro Lebron takes over Jordan, but Stockton scoring less than Curry isn't one of those takes.

The competitions actually sucked. NBA was watered down due to expansion. Jazz even lost to the Blazers in 1999 despite many people predicted they were going to win the title after Jordan's retirement.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:39 AM
The competitions actually sucked. NBA was watered down due to expansion. Jazz even lost to the Blazers in 1999 despite many people predicted they were going to win the title after Jordan's retirement.

True the NBA was watered down, because some scrubs along with JR Rider, Tom Gugliotta, Damon Stoudamire and Bryant Reeves played on those expansion teams, while the Heat, Magic and Hornets were already doing well in the 90s.

Can you stop parroting points that don't even touch the content of my posts? That's just a huge waste of time.

RRR3
04-03-2023, 10:39 AM
So? Curry would still have been a superstar there’s no league he wouldn’t have been one in. Plenty of guys shot lots of 3s in the 90s anyways.

Airupthere
04-03-2023, 10:45 AM
True the NBA was watered down, because some scrubs along with JR Rider, Tom Gugliotta, Damon Stoudamire and Bryant Reeves played on those expansion teams, while the Heat, Magic and Hornets were already doing well in the 90s.

Can you stop parroting points that don't even touch the content of my posts? That's just a huge waste of time.

John Stockton is a Utah Jazz pg that played 82 games in 1994. Back when it was in season 1994.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:48 AM
So? Curry would still have been a superstar there’s no league he wouldn’t have been one in. Plenty of guys shot lots of 3s in the 90s anyways.

Of course they did, but you think Jerry Sloan would've allowed for Curry to go off for 16 3pt attempts in a league that took like 5 3pta?

I'm not saying that Curry couldn't have been a star. I'm one of the people that says great talent adapts and finds the notion that you can't slide the bigs of past years or the mid range heavy players just as stupid as saying Curry, Lebron et al couldn't survive back then.

What I'm saying is that you can't judge by Curry's skillset in today's league how he would've fared in the 1998 playoffs. LBJ23 does this. He basically says Curry scoring around 30 in 202x means he would've done exactly that in the 90s. Who says Stockton couldn't be a 20/15/6/3spg guy on the 2015 onwards Warriors then? These assumptions to prove a stupid agenda are futile when nobody can really compare either era or project the stats at hand.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 11:12 AM
Not talking about the Jazz' performance, but Stockton's perception being ofc dependent on the receivers of his passes. Atleast when it comes to stats. He wouldn't have been a lesser player if the g2g of his team was a triple threat, post or iso scorer, but alot of people who didn't see him play would think differently of him nowadays.

Well that's way before my time. So the Blazers would've had a better version of the already very very good Terry Porter? Pretty sure that would've meant championships.

exactly and they wouldn't have been stupid enough to leave him on the bench at the beginning of his career like Layden

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 11:14 AM

because they were old and the schedule was brutal because of the lockout. No load management for Stockton and Malone

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 11:21 AM

They only got to the finals in the first place because he started playing like Steph Curry down the stretch of the biggest game of his career because playing like John Stockton wouldn’t have worked

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EdibleEmbarrassedDassierat-size_restricted.gif

he spent too much of his career setting people up when he had the talent to be a more effective hybrid point. Being unselfish with your shots only helps up to the point your team desperately needs somebody to make shots.

people in here saying curry isn’t a point guard when his team would’ve been worse the last 10 years if he tried to play the way they think a point guard should. A point guard is there to make the offense work. Curry would be a worse point guard if he played like John Stockton while he has the talent that he does.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 11:33 AM
They only got to the finals in the first place because he started playing like Steph Curry down the stretch of the biggest game of his career because playing like John Stockton wouldn’t have worked

he spent too much of his career setting people up when he had the talent to be a more effective hybrid point. Being unselfish with your shots only helps up to the point your team desperately needs somebody to make shots.

people in here saying curry isn’t a point guard when his team would’ve been worse the last 10 years if he tried to play the way they think a point guard should. A point guard is there to make the offense work. Curry would be a worse point guard if he played like John Stockton while he has the talent that he does.

That wasn't my point about Curry. Quite the opposite. I think I made it obvious that I think the Warriors are better with Curry than they would be with Stockton or a stocktonesque Curry.

What I do think is that Curry by himself sliding in for Stockton in a slow 90s Utah offense under Jerry Sloan wouldn't be the same difference maker as he is on the modern Warriors and thus it's a pretty bad argument to make to downplay 90s competition.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 11:36 AM
I wasn’t talking about your post. I’ve read dozens of times about how he isn’t a real point guard as if those peoples idea of being a real point guard wouldnt make him less effective and worse for his teams offense, which actually would make him a worse point guard. It’s just a weird take to me. that he has to do something that would hurt his teams offense in order to be a so-called real point guard. It’s like people don’t understand the objective of running offense.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 11:37 AM

the defense would have been a lot better. He might have scored more with Draymond as the playmaker

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 12:07 PM
Wtf is a pure point guard, I'm tired of hearing that.
I've never seen that in any other position but PG.
Who's more of a pure center, Shaq or Moses Malone? Yall see how ridiculous that is.
You are what your position says you are.
Steph could avg 2 assist per game and if he's a pg, he's a pg.

Manny98
04-03-2023, 12:18 PM
Malone would have an even easier time scoring with Currys gravity, they'd be unstoppable

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 12:20 PM
Malone would have an even easier time scoring with Currys gravity, they'd be unstoppable

in what era?

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 12:37 PM
in what era?

In any era. Stockton wasn't a threat on offense, Curry is.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 12:38 PM
In any era. Stockton wasn't a threat on offense, Curry is.

the all time leader in assists and one of the most efficient players ever wasn't a threat? Curry wouldn't have been the same threat playing under Sloan in that era

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 12:51 PM
the all time leader in assists and one of the most efficient players ever wasn't a threat? Curry wouldn't have been the same threat playing under Sloan in that era
Correct. How are you a threat when you don't take advantage of your efficiency?
Stockton had eleven 30+ point games in his career (and 2 more in the playoffs.) Only once did he shoot under 50% in those games which was 47%.
So, you're saying Sloan held him back? One of the great threats of his era was reduced to a passing PG?

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:02 PM
Correct. How are you a threat when you don't take advantage of your efficiency?
Stockton had eleven 30+ point games in his career (and 2 more in the playoffs.) Only once did he shoot under 50% in those games which was 47%.
So, you're saying Sloan held him back? One of the great threats of his era was reduced to a passing PG?

the Jazz were the best offense in the league when they went to the finals. He was a huge part of it. Sloan certainly was out coached in the finals and held the Jazz back. You go from 1st to 3rd in your division with two of the greats in the lineup every night you have failed. He also did that with the legendary Carlos Boozer!

Manny98
04-03-2023, 01:13 PM

He was so efficient because of his conservative play style, his lack of aggression on offense makes him a lot less of a threat to defenses compared to someone like Curry

Utah win in 98 with Curry instead of Stockton in my opinion

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 01:14 PM
the Jazz were the best offense in the league when they went to the finals. He was a huge part of it. Sloan certainly was out coached in the finals and held the Jazz back. You go from 1st to 3rd in your division with two of the greats in the lineup every night you have failed. He also did that with the legendary Carlos Boozer!
The 1989 playoffs, Stockton avg 27 points on 50% but they got swept in the 1st round.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:15 PM
He was so efficient because of his conservative play style, his lack of aggression on offense makes him a lot less of a threat to defenses compared to someone like Curry

Utah win in 98 with Curry instead of Stockton in my opinion

yeah we know your opinion. Curry not shooting 3's or playing D or getting the ball to the Mailman changes everything

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:16 PM
The 1989 playoffs, Stockton avg 27 points on 50% but they got swept in the 1st round.

and Sloan kept his job

Manny98
04-03-2023, 01:21 PM
yeah we know your opinion. Curry not shooting 3's or playing D or getting the ball to the Mailman changes everything

Are you trying to say that Stockton + Malone would be harder to defend than Curry + Malone? :facepalm

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 01:25 PM
Nobody's game plan has been to stop John Stockton from scoring. Maybe to keep the ball out of his has hand to get others involved but not from scoring.
Steph can do both. Don't let his 7 assist per game blind you. Russell Westbrook led the league in assist twice, who do you ant as your "PURE" pg?

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:28 PM
Are you trying to say that Stockton + Malone would be harder to defend than Curry + Malone? :facepalm

Not saying anything other than Curry under Sloan in the 80's and 90's wouldn't be the same player just as Stockton in other circumstances wouldn't be. Stockton could shoot and defend which makes him a lot easier to move from era to era and team to team. Malone certainly wouldn't have gotten the ball where he could do as much damage without Stockton

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:29 PM
Nobody's game plan has been to stop John Stockton from scoring. Maybe to keep the ball out of his has hand to get others involved but not from scoring.
Steph can do both. Don't let his 7 assist per game blind you. Russell Westbrook led the league in assist twice, who do you ant as your "PURE" pg?

when did I say anything about a pure pg. I wouldn't want anything to do with Westbrook. Stockton is one of the greats whatever you want to call him

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 02:50 PM
when did I say anything about a pure pg. I wouldn't want anything to do with Westbrook. Stockton is one of the greats whatever you want to call him
Not you in general, but the whole premise of this thread is Steph isn't a pure or traditional PG basically because he doesn't avg high assist numbers.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Not you in general, but the whole premise of this thread is Steph isn't a pure or traditional PG basically because he doesn't avg high assist numbers.

Tim MacMahon: Source: Jazz rookie center Walker Kessler is entering concussion protocol, likely ending his season. Kessler is expected to be an All-Rookie selection after averaging 9.2 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.3 blocks while shooting 72% from the floor.
– via Twitter espn_macmahon

when Stockton came into the league almost everyone was a pass first pg now almost no one is. Most of the ones that are have come from Spain. There'd been a few scoring pg's before that but I'd say Isiah really was the prototype of what was to come. So yes Curry is a pg

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 03:37 PM
I wasn’t talking about your post. I’ve read dozens of times about how he isn’t a real point guard as if those peoples idea of being a real point guard wouldnt make him less effective and worse for his teams offense, which actually would make him a worse point guard. It’s just a weird take to me. that he has to do something that would hurt his teams offense in order to be a so-called real point guard. It’s like people don’t understand the objective of running offense.

Alright. Thought you adressed me, because I said he's scorer first and second and alot of people interpret that as a critique when it's aimed at a pg.

Stephonit
04-03-2023, 07:10 PM
As the third option on his team...which is what you want from your point guard

But I want to hear why Curry is better than Oscar

I want to hear why Oscar is better than Curry.

John8204
04-03-2023, 07:28 PM
I want to hear why Oscar is better than Curry.

went to the final four twice as a college player
led his team to an Olympic Gold Medal at 20
led the league in assists for 80% of his time in KC along with averaging 30PPG for 6 seasons
Won a ring the first season he got out off of that terrible team
He's a top ten player in Assists and PPG, the only point guard to do this.

Stephonit
04-03-2023, 08:31 PM
went to the final four twice as a college player
led his team to an Olympic Gold Medal at 20
led the league in assists for 80% of his time in KC along with averaging 30PPG for 6 seasons
Won a ring the first season he got out off of that terrible team
He's a top ten player in Assists and PPG, the only point guard to do this.

Is that supposed to be more impressive than what Curry has done?

Bringing college and Olympics into the discussion? Okay Oscar went to the Final Four twice which is ostensibly a better showing than Steph's single Elite Eight appearance but Oscar's team won the championship the succeeding two years after he had left. Seems like Oscar was on a strong team but still didn't win. Meanwhile Curry was carrying Davidson.

Oscar won a ring after leaving a terrible team? Curry turned a terrible team around and made it into a juggernaut. Then when that team fell apart he helped rebuild it again and won again.

Curry is a 2-time scoring champion. Oscar was maybe once.

Curry has multiple seasons with a TS% above 65% as a guard. You're not going to find many if any who can combine the scoring volume and scoring efficiency that Curry does.

Axe
04-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Is that supposed to be more impressive than what Curry has done?

Bringing college and Olympics into the discussion? Okay Oscar went to the Final Four twice which is ostensibly a better showing than Steph's single Elite Eight appearance but Oscar's team won the championship the succeeding two years after he had left. Seems like Oscar was on a strong team but still didn't win. Meanwhile Curry was carrying Davidson.

Oscar won a ring after leaving a terrible team? Curry turned a terrible team around and made it into a juggernaut. Then when that team fell apart he helped rebuild it again and won again.

Curry is a 2-time scoring champion. Oscar was maybe once.

Curry has multiple seasons with a TS% above 65% as a guard. You're not going to find many if any who can combine the scoring volume and scoring efficiency that Curry does.
Lol thank you for the effort sir. But chef actually needed klay to be relevant in the playoffs. Even lost b2b in the play-ins without him two years ago.

Stephonit
04-03-2023, 08:40 PM
Lol thank you for the effort sir. But chef actually needed klay to be relevant in the playoffs. Even lost b2b in the play-ins without him two years ago.

And Oscar needed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Dandridge during an expansion era to get a ring.

SouBeachTalents
04-03-2023, 08:41 PM
OP is legitimately the biggest troll on the forum right now :lol

kawhileonard2
04-03-2023, 11:34 PM

No

PP34Deuce
04-04-2023, 10:34 AM
After magic, I have zeke Thomas. Then curry.. then stockton...then Paul kidd mash are all lumped together.

i think i had this 26 years ago

https://i.ibb.co/DMhjRKK/s-l500-1.jpg

SaltyMeatballs
04-05-2023, 05:19 PM
After magic, I have zeke Thomas. Then curry.. then stockton...then Paul kidd mash are all lumped together.

Curry over Zeke all day