PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone in the league you offer a blank check trade for?

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Meaning it doesn’t matter what the other teams wants….you say yes. Basically:

https://youtu.be/ucMkV5ndFek

Threw the money on the table before the plug said the pricе
I was eager, ain't no tomorrows, I could be dеad tonight

Is there anyone who the GM calls and says “I’m willing to trade you such and such but I need….” and could finish that sentence with anything and get it?

I’m talking they want your two best players and 6 first round picks.

The way the Lakers were calling teams about Kobe and saying “I want your 4 best players to start” when he asked out?

Jokic, Giannis, and Luka are the obvious “all in” guys but even them….blank check worthy?

Most trades like that don’t tend to really work out I feel. Even when it’s a young guy or two and picks that don’t stand out one ends up SGA like the Clippers traded for George or they get so many picks you end up losing a chance at 3 hall of famers. Chris Webber was traded for Penny and picks that could have drafted Kobe/Nash, Dirk/Vince Carter, and a 5th overall pick in a bad 2000 draft that was Mike Miller.

It is so hard to come out on top long term on those deals, but teams get eager to prove they can win with the star in question and they do it. But knowing what you know, who do you take that chance for?

Anyone?

Who do you throw the money on the table before the plug says the price to get?

highwhey
04-03-2023, 10:34 AM
suns essentially did that for KD.

i would refuse to be a fan if they did it for giabitch though. would never root for her.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 10:37 AM
Even with all the horror stories of teams selling their souls for a star, some of the funniest examples come from teams who turn down such offers.

The Rockets had Ralph Sampson and a league of:

https://youtu.be/nQJACVmankY

offers and rejected them all.

They rejected Drexler and the #2 pick which means they would have had Hakeem(the number 1), Drexler(Hakeem’s college teammate from local Houston college) AND Jordan.

Would have been the greatest fleece in history. And I’m not sure of blank check trade as ever ended up, looking fair to both sides.

you do one of those deals somebody is going to make a worst trades of all time list and you just hope it’s the other guy.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 10:40 AM
No. Look at the Nuggets. The team is decent and still people see them as a pretender. Imagine giving up half your roster for Jokic and we're talking about one of the two most impactful players rn.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 10:44 AM
suns essentially did that for KD.

i would refuse to be a fan if they did it for giabitch though. would never root for her.

They did drop a bag for KD and it already looks like young superstar and a good prospect and a pick haul for an old injured superstar but it just depends on if they win a ring. If they do it doesn’t matter.

Much like it wouldn’t with Giannis.

fans always talk that shit till it’s time to actually reject your team that is winning. RBA was the same way. When Lebron was on the Heat I told him he’d take him back and cheer in a second. Told me I was crazy and didn’t understand the hate he and those fans had for him. Second he gets back its all cheers and every one of them celebrated the shit out of that title. It’s easy to say when you don’t have to back it up. When all your friends celebrate that local championship and there’s a parade in your city, it’s hard to keep up the grudge.

You would bend the knee.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 11:03 AM
No. Look at the Nuggets. The team is decent and still people see them as a pretender. Imagine giving up half your roster for Jokic and we're talking about one of the two most impactful players rn.

Generally speaking it almost doesn’t even matter who you trade. You get a haul like we are talking about you have to be an idiot not to win the deal. Just gotta put emotion and fans opinions aside. Get rid to do that and trade Larry Bird late in his career when the Pacers were offering something like a choice between Reggie and Chuck person, and I think young Rik Smits and picks. They didn’t do it on general principle but….

Wardell Curry
04-03-2023, 11:06 AM
Right now? Nope. Maybe Wembanyama becomes that guy, but he does not exist in the NBA in 2023.

Even then I'm not so sure.

iamgine
04-03-2023, 12:15 PM
I’m talking they want your two best players and 6 first round picks.

I feel the question is more about your team than who the guy is.

Like who are these two best players in your team.

or

Is your team a highly sought free agent destination since you won't be getting picks for a while.

Stuff like that.

highwhey
04-03-2023, 12:36 PM
They did drop a bag for KD and it already looks like young superstar and a good prospect and a pick haul for an old injured superstar but it just depends on if they win a ring. If they do it doesn’t matter.

Much like it wouldn’t with Giannis.

fans always talk that shit till it’s time to actually reject your team that is winning. RBA was the same way. When Lebron was on the Heat I told him he’d take him back and cheer in a second. Told me I was crazy and didn’t understand the hate he and those fans had for him. Second he gets back its all cheers and every one of them celebrated the shit out of that title. It’s easy to say when you don’t have to back it up. When all your friends celebrate that local championship and there’s a parade in your city, it’s hard to keep up the grudge.

You would bend the knee.

you can't in good faith root for giannis. yes, defensively he's that dude. but offensively? like the other 50% of his game? without refs he ain't shit, you know it, i know it, adam silver knows it. remove the whistle, put him in a vacuum and he's nowhere near top 10. every superstar benefits from the whistle, but giannis lives on the whistle. other superstars have an underlying talent/game that they could bank on. giannis? NOTHING. it's not basketball. it's offensive to watch.

Jasper
04-03-2023, 12:39 PM
giannis - he makes other players better , and would take any team to the playoffs as well as a player to build around.

joker - same as above

Surprise pick : bron

highwhey
04-03-2023, 12:41 PM
you know when something is so egregious you do the seinfeld walkaway? that's what i would do if suns ever signed giannis. he doesn't play basketball. and if i played him in a pickup game and he tried hitting me with the shoulder, i'd catch him with a bat after the game in the parking lot.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OnlySoulfulHarrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 12:43 PM
Whatever you say.

But if he drops 55/19 on the 76ers to win Phoenix the title?

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2304032211460397.gif

That knee bout to bend like a mother****er.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 12:46 PM
you know when something is so egregious you do the seinfeld walkaway? that's what i would do if suns ever signed giannis. he doesn't play basketball. and if i played him in a pickup game and he tried hitting me with the shoulder, i'd catch him with a bat after the game in the parking lot.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OnlySoulfulHarrierhawk-size_restricted.gif

Im sure there were some soft offended Heat fans who hated Mutombo being elbowed and lifted off the ground by Shaq dislodging him who still celebrated that 06 ring.

That’s sports. Oh I wish I could find those old “I’ll never root for Lebron again” Cavs fans before he got back….

RBA deleted some of the topics I bumped explaining to him exactly what would happen before it did.

highwhey
04-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Whatever you say.

But if he drops 55/19 on the 76ers to win Phoenix the title?

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2304032211460397.gif

That knee bout to bend like a mother****er.

nah man, i have limits. it may sound hypocritcial, but if d book hit a game winning shot with an egregious offensive foul, i'd forgive it bc he has an underlying solid game, the elbow J is his signature. but what underlying game does giannis have? she's doesn't have anything...

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 01:02 PM
I heard all these arguments 25 years ago and they weren’t true about Shaq either.

They will never be true about anyone. And none of the “But this is different….” arguments will be decent either.

The “He’s not even good he’s just cheating and knocking people over” argument has a 100% chance of being wrong. Every time it is made about everyone until basketball is no longer being played….it will be wrong.

highwhey
04-03-2023, 01:08 PM
I heard all these arguments 25 years ago and they weren’t true about Shaq either.

They will never be true about anyone. And none of the “But this is different….” arguments will be decent either.

The “He’s not even good he’s just cheating and knocking people over” argument has a 100% chance of being wrong. Every time it is made about everyone until basketball is no longer being played….it will be wrong.

shaq was just physicaly imposing tho.

giannis gets away with offensive fouls but you aren't allowed to defend him with even 1/10th of the physicality he uses. it's absurd. the narrative is clear. i'd look past it if the league was like "ok, he can be physical but the defender will be allowed the same amount of physicality".

shit, ayton was getting called for silly fouls for verticality. it's so ****ing absurd, like what is he supposed to do? get out of the way? should he bend the knee like jon snow whenever giannis drives in?

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Just physically imposing? I realize there is a generational gap here so I won’t be able to make you really understand what I’m saying and accept it but I’ll say it anyway because it’s true…..

Giannis isn’t even that physical compared to who I’m used to. Shaq…Malone…Barkley…a lot of people really? Gianni’s doesn’t get away with a tenth of what they did to people. Giannis wouldn’t be a top 6 physical player when the Knicks and Magic played in the 90s.

And even relative to that era we had unusually physical players fans made the same claims about. And as I said…they were wrong…you are…the next group will be too.

There is no such thing as an nba superstar who is good because he can beat people up. It’s usually only said about people who(like Giannis) would be hall of famers even if you took a gang of points from them. Even if we take whatever fouls you think away just off his putback, rolls to the rim, fast break chances and pull-ups…..he’s a 18-20 ppg DPOY. Those are called hall of famers when they do it for any extended period of time.

Now….you wanna take everyone’s illegal points away by old standards like you wanna do him?

Hell….I don’t know who’s left. There isn’t a legal ball handler in the nba. Durant might be the only person who carries when he changes direction as much as Giannis. The idea that you can choose which indisputable violations are cheating the game is ridiculous. A carry into a beautiful jumper you respect is exactly as illegal as a lowered shoulder into a dunk you don’t. Every basket off an illegal screen the warriors do is gone. Almost every finish if the league didn’t legalize traveling by calling it a gather.

It’s all cheating. You respecting pretty cheating like all these guards with carry hesis and double dribble shot fakes just shows the real issue. You don’t like the guy. You don’t care about rules. You don’t like him and he kicked your teams ass to win a ring.

But you certainly don’t care about rules. If you did you’d hate everyone.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Just physically imposing? I realize there is a generational gap here so I won’t be able to make you really understand what I’m saying and accept it but I’ll say it anyway because it’s true…..

Giannis isn’t even that physical compared to who I’m used to. Shaq…Malone…Barkley…a lot of people really? Gianni’s doesn’t get away with a tenth of what they did to people. Giannis wouldn’t be a top 6 physical player when the Knicks and Magic played in the 90s.

And even relative to that era we had unusually physical players fans made the same claims about. And as I said…they were wrong…you are…the next group will be too.

There is no such thing as an nba superstar who is good because he can beat people up. It’s usually only said about people who(like Giannis) would be hall of famers even if you took a gang of points from them. Even if we take whatever fouls you think away just off his putback, rolls to the rim, fast break chances and pull-ups…..he’s a 18-20 ppg DPOY. Those are called hall of famers when they do it for any extended period of time.

Now….you wanna take everyone’s illegal points away by old standards like you wanna do him?

Hell….I don’t know who’s left. There isn’t a legal ball handler in the nba. Durant might be the only person who carries when he changes direction as much as Giannis. The idea that you can choose which indisputable violations are cheating the game is ridiculous. A carry into a beautiful jumper you respect is exactly as illegal as a lowered shoulder into a dunk you don’t. Every basket off an illegal screen the warriors do is gone. Almost every finish if the league didn’t legalize traveling by calling it a gather.

It’s all cheating. You respecting pretty cheating like all these guards with carry hesis and double dribble shot fakes just shows the real issue. You don’t like the guy. You don’t care about rules. You don’t like him and he kicked your teams ass to win a ring.

Giannis would be less physically imposing in a different era. The really big guys are rare now

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Giannis would be less physically imposing in a different era. The really big guys are rare now

Can you imagine if today’s fans had to sit through a game of the jazz playing the Knicks in like 1993? John Stockton was more physical than almost anyone in the league right now.

Mask the Embiid
04-03-2023, 01:42 PM
Naw.

Would do it with Lebron and Curry if they were younger.

Giannis is prolly the closest to this status but I wouldn’t give up embiid+ harden or Ad + Lebron so it’s still a no.

Xiao Yao You
04-03-2023, 01:43 PM
Can you imagine if today’s fans had to sit through a game of the jazz playing the Knicks in like 1993? John Stockton was more physical than almost anyone in the league right now.

Yeah. The Knicks, the Heat. Was getting closer to football for a while. Is Curry setting the screen on Oakley or Mason?

highwhey
04-03-2023, 01:50 PM

already covered that. i acknowledged every superstar does something illegal. giannis is just so egregious about it. literally barrels into the paint. the other stars come into their own before the league grooms them. giannis wouldn't sniff a title if the league didn't referee him differently. might as well pull a gun out on opponents.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 02:00 PM
It’s all egregious you just don’t care about egregious cheating when it’s pretty and doesn’t destroy your team in the finals.

Sports fans have always been more comfortable with cheating they can ooh and ahh about.

Bogut explained it well. He could kill someone setting a screen for Steph or Klay on a run and the refs didn’t care because the crowd was going wild. Gets to Dallas….same screen he gets 3 fouls.

Take the warriors illegal screens, Lebrons travels and push offs, Giannis shoulder dips, Shaq dislodging, Hakeem’s sliding pivot feet, the Spurs sending Bowen to maul everyone….you’d alter who wins 6-7 rings minimum with how tight series are to begin with.

This isn’t a crime of one person. It’s a holocaust “You’re all kinda guilty for looking the other way….” kinda thing. The nba isn’t a couple criminals. It’s an ongoing war crime against the game people get selective about who to complain about.

highwhey
04-03-2023, 02:10 PM
It’s all egregious you just don’t care about egregious cheating when it’s pretty and doesn’t destroy your team in the finals.

Sports fans have always been more comfortable with cheating they can ooh and ahh about.

Bogut explained it well. He could kill someone setting a screen for Steph or Klay on a run and the refs didn’t care because the crowd was going wild. Gets to Dallas….same screen he gets 3 fouls.

Take the warriors illegal screens, Lebrons travels and push offs, Giannis shoulder dips, Shaq dislodging, Hakeem’s sliding pivot feet, the Spurs sending Bowen to maul everyone….you’d alter who wins 6-7 rings minimum with how tight series are to begin with.

This isn’t a crime of one person. It’s a holocaust “You’re all kinda guilty for looking the other way….” kinda thing. The nba isn’t a couple criminals. It’s an ongoing war crime against the game people get selective about who to complain about.

i do hate her, you have a point there. but the finals series was just a blurr to me. ayton isn't allowed to exist if he attempts to defender her. how? that's not basketball man. that's someone getting ragdolled and the officials allowing it. shaq was a walking offensive fould with his hook, i'll give you that.

idk man, i'd be OK with losing to Luka or Jokic...bc they actually have an underlying talent....giannis tho? the kid who plays a 3rd world fake humble type? hmmm. you can read people, and i know you pick up straight up BITCH from him too.

Wardell Curry
04-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Shaq wasn't dominant just because of his physicality. He was also lightning fast for a guy his size. His spin move was nearly unguardable and he had a money little chip hook in the lane and from the baseline.

Yao Ming is the one of two guys I can remember that didn't consistently get bullied by Shaq's size OR speed. And a large part of that was just Shaq getting old.

Tim Duncan was the other one and Uncle Timmy might be the best basketball player that ever lived. I don't think he is but I think he's closer to the discussion than people think. Shaq still had some monster games against him, though.

Overdrive
04-03-2023, 04:04 PM

Stockton was nasty. I hated him and the Jazz with a passion, but surely one of the most gritty players to ever play. He made you pay if you weren't paying attention and dropped your body tension.

People mistake huge muscles for physicality. Physicality is more like using your body than just body building in the gym like some guys tend to do. Saw a photo of Amare and Reggie Evans the other day. Similarly build. One guy was soft AF while Reggie was a guy that I'd expect to do some Kimbo Slice style backyard fights. Total throwback bruiser.