PDA

View Full Version : Who would trade a nr 1 pick for Luka?

90sgoat
04-03-2023, 10:16 PM
Basically the Wemby sweepstakes are on, but if you're the team getting nr. 1, do you take Wemby or do you try trading for Luka with the Mavs?

Luka probably will ask out soon with Mavs, so if they could get Wemby, they might take it.

I was thinking maybe Spurs. I could see Pop wanting to coach Luka. It would be a coach that Luka would be forced to respect.

Detroit, Houston and Hornets are the other teams most likely to get 1.

Houston is a dark horse. They have experience with fat and no-d ball dominant guards and they have a lot of good young talent.

Would they do it?

imdaman99
04-03-2023, 10:23 PM
Dude no team in their right mind should trade Wemby for Luka. Luka's people orchestrated him going to Dallas, they didn't want him going to the Hawks. Plus he doesn't play well with any other good players unless they catch and shoot. Imagine the Hornets or Spurs or Rockets trading for him and Luka has no interest playing there. He might go to Phoenix and force highwhey to get his jersey.

90sgoat
04-03-2023, 10:40 PM
Dude no team in their right mind should trade Wemby for Luka. Luka's people orchestrated him going to Dallas, they didn't want him going to the Hawks. Plus he doesn't play well with any other good players unless they catch and shoot. Imagine the Hornets or Spurs or Rockets trading for him and Luka has no interest playing there. He might go to Phoenix and force highwhey to get his jersey.

I disagree.

Wemby is not a sure thing, his height basically guarantees he will struggle with injuries. There was someone on Youtube making a list of 7'3'' and above guys and very few of them had a long career.

Luka is an all time great and entering his prime. He is 24 years old. The next 5 years will be his most productive. You can wait 3-4 years for Wemby to bulk up and become a star or you can get a top 5 player right now. I'm pretty sure someone like Charlotte would go for Luka.

imdaman99
04-04-2023, 03:37 AM
I disagree.

Wemby is not a sure thing, his height basically guarantees he will struggle with injuries. There was someone on Youtube making a list of 7'3'' and above guys and very few of them had a long career.

Luka is an all time great and entering his prime. He is 24 years old. The next 5 years will be his most productive. You can wait 3-4 years for Wemby to bulk up and become a star or you can get a top 5 player right now. I'm pretty sure someone like Charlotte would go for Luka.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Luka is on his way to being one of the greatest ever. But Wemby could become a taller KD. KD is already a freak, now imagine someone even taller than him :lol I'm not gonna pretend I know a lot about him minus the highlights, but we already know what Luka is... he ain't going to the Hornets or Spurs. That doesn't seem like cities he can grow his brand. I'm not saying he's NY or LA bound, but it's not to team up with Lamelo or whoever is on the Spurs or Rockets.

You need to enjoy Luka, that's your guy. He's legit and he's the real deal.

ImKobe
04-04-2023, 05:23 AM
I think any of the potential teams picking #1 would give up a prospect for a guaranteed top 5/MVP-level player in their prime, in any era at that. Doncic has been pretty durable so far and is just entering his prime and is coming off his best statistical season and has so far proven to be one of the best individual performers in POs history.

Even if Wemby panned out and was a top 5 player you could justify making that trade given that Doncic gives you a chance to win right now while a prospect like Wemby is more likely to go bust or at least take a couple years before he's anywhere close to as good. Luka is also under contract until 2027, so he would have great trade value for years to come if it didn't work out.

90sgoat
04-04-2023, 06:36 AM
I think any of the potential teams picking #1 would give up a prospect for a guaranteed top 5/MVP-level player in their prime, in any era at that. Doncic has been pretty durable so far and is just entering his prime and is coming off his best statistical season and has so far proven to be one of the best individual performers in POs history.

Even if Wemby panned out and was a top 5 player you could justify making that trade given that Doncic gives you a chance to win right now while a prospect like Wemby is more likely to go bust or at least take a couple years before he's anywhere close to as good. Luka is also under contract until 2027, so he would have great trade value for years to come if it didn't work out.

Yeah, I mean, if you take Wemby, you're banking on a certain type of player becoming an all time great, that never did before. It's Yao Ming part 2. Maybe the new softer league will make it possible, but it is a risk. Porzingis seems to finally have found his stride, so maybe they figured it out.

iamgine
04-04-2023, 06:49 AM
Sure if all the Mavs want is the #1 pick + expiring contract.

dankok8
04-04-2023, 11:11 AM
There is no way anyone would choose an unproven player (Wemby) over an established NBA superstar (Luka). The former could be amazing but may not be for a myriad of reasons. So many great prospects turned into busts and it will continue to happen.

Anyways just about every team would do this trade and grab Luka.

Jasper
04-04-2023, 07:28 PM
my Bucks would take Luka in a second to replace Grayson Allan.

90sgoat
04-04-2023, 07:57 PM
my Bucks would take Luka in a second to replace Grayson Allan.

Giannis would never put up with Luka.