PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Men's Rules

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 11:43 PM
Do you guys ever see some of the rules changes in NCAA Men's Basketball?
I mean they have a 30 second shot clock, why? Why do they need 6 extra seconds, they already play 8 less minutes then the NBA.
The 1 and done free throw shooting. I think the NBA got rid of that in the 1960s.
Maybe go to 4 quarters instead of two halves.

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 11:49 PM
College ball didn’t even have a shot clock when I was a kid. And when they added it, I don’t remember what it was but it was more than it is now. It might even have been 40 seconds. They only added it because of things like the four corners offense, where a team could build a lead, then give the ball to a great guard nobody could take it from and let him dribble for four minutes.

Terrible to watch. The clock just made them do something. But it was never meant to mirror the nba. College teams run tight sets again and again to get shots. Takes longer to develop. The nba is instinctual just on a loose track. College coaches run teams like clockwork.

L.Kizzle
04-03-2023, 11:53 PM
College ball didn’t even have a shot clock when I was a kid. And when they added it, I don’t remember what it was but it was more than it is now. It might even have been 40 seconds. They only added it because of things like the four corners offense, where a team could build a lead, then give the ball to a great guard nobody could take it from and let him dribble for four minutes.

Terrible to watch. The clock just made them do something. But it was never meant to mirror the nba. College teams run tight sets again and again to get shots. Takes longer to develop. The nba is instinctual just on a loose track. College coaches run teams like clockwork.
I'm not really into college ball at all. Only watch the tournaments. I do know about them outlawing Lew Alcindor but when did the shot clock come around? The Phi Slama Jamma days. No way theose guys were running up and down the court with no shot clock?

Kblaze8855
04-03-2023, 11:54 PM
And now that we’re talking rules I need to ask something I’ve been wondering about. Do all of you know that even as late as Jordan’s first retirement fouling a three point shooter wasn’t three free throws? There was quite a bit of debate about it. You get fouled on a three you only get two free throws and there are quite a few situations looking back where it would have changed the outcome of big games.

It’s not something you can tell in highlights, so I’m just wondering how many of you are aware of it.

I don’t think it changed till like 1995. I think Pat Riley had something to do with changing it. After either the heat or knicks were involved in some game they couldn’t win because of getting fouled from three, but not getting the 3 free throws.

I don’t remember the details but I think Riley going crazy changed the rule.

Xiao Yao You
04-04-2023, 12:00 AM
I'm not really into college ball at all. Only watch the tournaments. I do know about them outlawing Lew Alcindor but when did the shot clock come around? The Phi Slama Jamma days. No way theose guys were running up and down the court with no shot clock?

was probably still around at that time. It happened sometime in the early to mid 80's I think after Dean Smith made a mockery of the game with the 4 corners.

Xiao Yao You
04-04-2023, 12:01 AM
ACC has a 17/9"(I think 3 point line for at least a year. Remember Perkins hitting 10 or so one Saturday afternoon.

L.Kizzle
04-04-2023, 12:22 AM
And now that we’re talking rules I need to ask something I’ve been wondering about. Do all of you know that even as late as Jordan’s first retirement fouling a three point shooter wasn’t three free throws? There was quite a bit of debate about it. You get fouled on a three you only get two free throws and there are quite a few situations looking back where it would have changed the outcome of big games.

It’s not something you can tell in highlights, so I’m just wondering how many of you are aware of it.

I don’t think it changed till like 1995. I think Pat Riley had something to do with changing it. After either the heat or knicks were involved in some game they couldn’t win because of getting fouled from three, but not getting the 3 free throws.

I don’t remember the details but I think Riley going crazy changed the rule.
I wanna say I remember that, and I started watching ball in the 1994 season.

imdaman99
04-04-2023, 03:41 AM
The 1 and 1 free throws make the end of games exciting sometimes. Imagine you hit a 3 and foul them and they miss the FT, you come back down and hit another 3. Of course you gotta have the talent to do that, I remember some team Northern Iowa or Ohio made up a 14 pt lead in 30 seconds :lol in the NBA we went crazy over TMac's comeback against the Spurs but he did it in a meaningless regular season game.

Oh yeah and the shot clock used to be 35 which I thought was a lot. They can def shrink it to even less, go with 25.