PDA

View Full Version : NBA needs to start penalizing teams for resting players

bison
04-07-2023, 05:06 PM
According to Shams, KD, CP3, Ayton and Booker are most likely sitting out tonight. The other day, the Magic sat out Banchero, Carter, Fultz and Wagner on 'fan appreciation night' of all nights. And I just found out Mavs are resting Kyrie, THJ, Wood, and Kleiber in a must-win game :facepalm Don't we at least want a chance to see Luka and Kyrie in a play-in?

I don't understand why the NBA isn't more bothered by this. It hurts ratings and rips off fans who bought tickets for those games ahead of time. Moreover resting players because of concerns about injuries seems pointless to me. You're eventually gonna play them anyway and we can point to the last several seasons as proof that load management isn't reducing injuries. It's better to have players play every night to keep them loose and limber. It would probably help their bones and muscles.

Real Men Wear Green
04-07-2023, 05:11 PM
1: The NBA is not paying any kind of financial penalty so nothing will be done.

2: Teams have always rested players after playoffs position is determined.

3: You know **** all about the human body.

bison
04-07-2023, 05:19 PM
1 The NBA can fine teams or add to a players yearly technical foul count for each game they needlessly miss

2 you have a bad memory

3 i know if you don't get your reps in the body tightens up and u risk injury. also players need to stop gunning for 15-20 year careers. 10 seasons is the perfect amount of seasons a player should expect to play. it would lead to more fresh talent coming in, instead of having jaded veterans hog up roster spots.

Kblaze8855
04-07-2023, 05:20 PM
The problem is there is no “NBA” to punish the teams. The teams are the nba. The owners of each team decide the rules. There is no force above them to punish individual teams for something they are fine with as a whole. The commish is an employee not the boss.

SouBeachTalents
04-07-2023, 05:20 PM
The truth is there'd be no way to enforce this because teams could just BS and say said player has a minor injury and sit them out. Also, I have absolutely no issue with teams sitting players once playoff position is locked up. Of course we'd all love to see the Suns be at full strength for tonight's game, but they're under no obligation to risk injury to their already fragile stars in what's ultimately a meaningless game for them.

Spurs m8
04-07-2023, 05:33 PM
A league of no integrity

Xiao Yao You
04-07-2023, 05:36 PM
The truth is there'd be no way to enforce this because teams could just BS and say said player has a minor injury and sit them out. Also, I have absolutely no issue with teams sitting players once playoff position is locked up. Of course we'd all love to see the Suns be at full strength for tonight's game, but they're under no obligation to risk injury to their already fragile stars in what's ultimately a meaningless game for them.

which is why they got rid of the injured list and just increased the roster size. Teams were carrying guys saying they were injured and they weren't

Real Men Wear Green
04-07-2023, 05:43 PM
1 The NBA can fine teams or add to a players yearly technical foul count for each game they needlessly miss Why would teams do that to themselves? NBA is making more money than ever. If the Pelicans are locked into the 9th spot in the play in Ingram won't play in the 82nd game. There would be no benefit. Even team fans would rather see their favorite teams stars resting.

2 you have a bad memoryI remember NBA history. That makes one of us. In fact it's not just the NBA. It happens in all sports.

3 i know if you don't get your reps in the body tightens up and u risk injury. also players need to stop gunning for 15-20 year careers. 10 seasons is the perfect amount of seasons a player should expect to play. it would lead to more fresh talent coming in, instead of having jaded veterans hog up roster spots. this paragraph can just stand on its own.

ArbitraryWater
04-07-2023, 06:26 PM
wtf is wrong with the Mavs?

Luka needs to gtfoh there

RRR3
04-07-2023, 06:32 PM

If they get a high pick they can trade it for help. Much smarter than getting spanked in the playoffs.

bison
04-07-2023, 06:34 PM
The truth is there'd be no way to enforce this because teams could just BS and say said player has a minor injury and sit them out.

maybe they should make them get a doctor's note like the rest of us who take days off :confusedshrug:

bison
04-07-2023, 06:35 PM

who's their gm? whoever it is needs to be fired. you have to be retarded to have luka for four years and fail each time to build a decent team around him

fourkicks44
04-07-2023, 06:48 PM
I know I'm built differently, but I enjoy watching games where players who are not in the regular rotation, two way players and lesser rookies get to play because starters don't play. Especially this time of year, there are only 2 games left.

Let the kids play!

bison
04-07-2023, 06:50 PM
I know I'm built differently, but I enjoy watching games where players who are not in the regular rotation, two way players and lesser rookies get to play because starters don't play. Especially this time of year, there are only 2 games left.

Let the kids play!

OK but this isn't just an end of season thing. Teams been doing this all year. It's gay.

fourkicks44
04-07-2023, 07:03 PM
OK but this isn't just an end of season thing. Teams been doing this all year. It's gay.

Well the new CBA seeks to address it by removing player's eligibility for end of season awards if they don't play enough games.

I'm sure the effectiveness of this measure will be questioned, I guess they are trying something. Some awards are tied into bonuses in players contracts so there is some bite there.

However I can't imagine the most established and accomplished vetren players like Durant, Curry or Kawhi are going to give a f'ck about those new rules.

PP34Deuce
04-07-2023, 07:26 PM
Historically last 2 3 games of season rarely has intense play... Mavericks are trying to have a lottery pick...

Suns are planted in their seeding
Orlando can tank to get another lottery pick alla sixes in past

fourkicks44
04-07-2023, 10:20 PM
The Sixers rested all starters tonight against the Hawks.

Turned out to be one of the best games, well endings, of the season.

McClung, Springer backing it up after winning the G Leauge Finals last night. Niang with the game winning 3.

'COTY' and Tre looking like dog shit.

warriorfan
04-08-2023, 12:32 AM
Don’t buy tickets to non playoff games. Sucks for the fans of the tanking and treadmill teams though.