PDA

View Full Version : Al Horford shoots over 5 threes a game at .446.

Kblaze8855
04-08-2023, 09:23 AM
Dirk never shot 5 a game or that high a percentage.

Isnt it amazing that soon we will look back and people will talk about what Dirk might be if he had a modern level of outside shooting for a stretch big?

tontoz
04-08-2023, 09:49 AM
Horford is a strange case. When he was with the Hawks he didn't shoot 3s at all, but shot a lot of long 2s at a high percentage. If i remember right he was shooting around 50%. It was very weird to see a guy making long 2s at a high rate who didn't shoot 3s. All he had to do was take a step or two back to become an effective 3 pt shooter.

Granted he only shoots stand still catch and shoot attempts. He isn't going to be shooting them off the dribble.

Real Men Wear Green
04-08-2023, 09:52 AM
What might have been something is ig Horford was trained by the people that trained Dirk from a young age. But let's not make a big deal out of this year's numbers. I have it on good authority that he and the other Celtics are going to fall back to earth and not shoot the threes so well now that the fluke start to the regular season is over.

Kblaze8855
04-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Horford is a strange case. When he was with the Hawks he didn't shoot 3s at all, but shot a lot of long 2s at a high percentage. If i remember right he was shooting around 50%. It was very weird to see a guy making long 2s at a high rate who didn't shoot 3s. All he had to do was take a step or two back to become an effective 3 pt shooter.

Granted he only shoots stand still catch and shoot attempts. He isn't going to be shooting them off the dribble.

Lamarcus Aldridge used to kill me with that. Take 16 long twos a night but 15 threes the whole season.

tontoz
04-08-2023, 10:40 AM
I went back and looked at his numbers and Horford had one season that was really ridiculous. 37% of his shots came from 16-3pt and he shot 53% on those attempts. He attempted 4 3s that season. :facepalm

SouBeachTalents
04-08-2023, 10:52 AM
This should really tell you everything you need to know

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTcwI0iXEAMwAte.jpg

And he did this in less games too.

BigShotBob
04-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Dirk never shot 5 a game or that high a percentage.

Isnt it amazing that soon we will look back and people will talk about what Dirk might be if he had a modern level of outside shooting for a stretch big?

If he had a modern level of outside shooting? As in he wasn't capable? Or that he just....didn't do it.

Jasper
04-08-2023, 11:30 PM
hortford has to be manned up(.)

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 08:20 AM
What might have been something is ig Horford was trained by the people that trained Dirk from a young age. But let's not make a big deal out of this year's numbers. I have it on good authority that he and the other Celtics are going to fall back to earth and not shoot the threes so well now that the fluke start to the regular season is over.

That's exactly what happened... or have you not followed the Celtics at all? Props to Al for keeping his percentage up but it was like 4-5 Boston role players shooting 45 to damn near 50% from 3 for a stretch there and they had the highest ORTG in league history and shot 40% from 3 overall the first 20 or so games. Now they're 37.5% from 3 which is good for 6th in the league which is more realistic for a team that shoots them at a high volume. Lol @ still being offended that people called it a fluke when you had players like Derrick White (a 34% career shooter 5 years in who shot ~31% in RS + POs last year) shooting 45% from 3 to open up the season because apparently that's just the norm.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 08:38 AM
That's exactly what happened... or have you not followed the Celtics at all? Props to Al for keeping his percentage up but it was like 4-5 Boston role players shooting 45 to damn near 50% from 3 for a stretch there and they had the highest ORTG in league history and shot 40% from 3 overall the first 20 or so games. Now they're 37.5% from 3 which is good for 6th in the league which is more realistic for a team that shoots them at a high volume. Lol @ still being offended that people called it a fluke when you had players like Derrick White (a 34% career shooter 5 years in who shot ~31% in RS + POs last year) shooting 45% from 3 to open up the season because apparently that's just the norm.

So you did all this research yet somehow didn't notice that there are two Celtics in the top 5 for there point percentage? Anne along with Horford and Brogdon Sam Hauser shot 41% and Derrick White shoot 38%? Do you did all of this research but somehow didn't notice these things?

I repeatedly point out that you're full of shit for a reason. I have never seen you make an argument that wasn't completely based onan intentionally slanted view of stats. It's like you think no one else can use Google.

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 08:56 AM
So you did all this reassessed yet somehow didn't notice that there are two Celtics in the top 5 for there point percentage? Anne along with Horford and Brogdon Sam Hauser shot 41% and Derrick White shoot 38%? Do you did all of this research but somehow didn't notice these things?

I repeatedly point out that you're full of shit for a reason. I have never seen you make an argument that wasn't completely based onan intentionally slanted view of stats. It's like you think no one else can use Google.

??

Did I not just say that they shot better to open up the season and regressed overall as a team? That's exactly what happened. Al's the only role player who's close to the 3PT% from where he was at the start (he's still down 2% from where he was in his first 20) but he's had a season in the past where he did make them at an above 40% clip and he shot 48% from 3 in the POs last year so that's not as much of a fluke. Just cause Al kept it up doesn't mean you were right lol.

Brogdon shot 49.4% from 3 the first 20 games of the season -- 44.4% is still a considerable regression from where he was at the start.
Grant Williams shot 45.2% from 3 the first 20 games and he's now at 39.5%.
Derrick White shot 43.9% from 3 the first 20 games and he's now at 38%.
Hauser shot 48.9% from 3 in his first 20 games and he's now at 41.1%.

Using stats = being full of shit I guess.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 09:07 AM
So you are seeing this big regression in guys that are still shooting up close to 40% from three (and in some cases better)? Good to know.

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 09:10 AM
Like you said, anyone can use Google. Maybe you should Google what regression means?

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 09:12 AM
Like you said, anyone can use Google. Maybe you should Google what regression means?

Our maybe you should acknowledge the obvious fact that they have a lot of good shooters and the great start was not the fluke that you were hoping it was? Celtics ended up with the second best record in the league and could have taken first if they didn't rest certain players throughout the season. You were wrong, as usual.

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 09:25 AM
Our maybe you should acknowledge the obvious fact that they have a lot of good shooters and the great start was not the fluke that you were hoping it was? Celtics ended up with the second best record in the league and could have taken first if they didn't rest certain players throughout the season. You were wrong, as usual.

I said their 3PT shooting percentage would come down and it did. That's what regression is. I also pointed out that their defense (which was bottom 10 at the time) would improve and that they'd still be a really good team. You care less about the facts and more about being right, which is why you end up looking like an idiot more often than not.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 09:42 AM
I said their 3PT shooting percentage would come down and it did. That's what regression is. I also pointed out that their defense (which was bottom 10 at the time) would improve and that they'd still be a really good team. You care less about the facts and more about being right, which is why you end up looking like an idiot more often than not.

Like how Ingram has had a better career than Tatum right? Of course. 3 players shooting 40% or better and v two in the top 5.

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 10:18 AM
Like how Ingram has had a better career than Tatum right? Of course. 3 players shooting 40% or better and v two in the top 5.

I gave you 4 guys who are all shooting 5% or more below their average from the first 20 games, which is when I believe I initially told you that their 3PT% at the time wouldn't be sustainable.

That's exactly what's happened. They shot 39.9%3PT in 6 games in October and 41.1%3PT in 16 games in November, followed by 32.7% in December & 35.4% in January, and they're shooting just 32.3%3PT so far in April. But apparently that's not regression at all. Nope. They've apparently been shooting the same percentage that they did in their first 20 games, right? Their 3PT% on the season isn't well below their average in the first 20, right?

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 10:25 AM
So again...3 guys shooting over 40% and two in the top 5. Do you know what your "5% drop" actually means in the court? Grant Williams takes 3.7 threes per game. 5% of 3.7 is...0.185. Wh8ch in real world terms is ...one more missed three every five games.

You are full of shit. The end.

ArbitraryWater
04-09-2023, 10:37 AM
If he had a modern level of outside shooting? As in he wasn't capable? Or that he just....didn't do it.

look at you being obtuse again

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 10:42 AM
So again...3 guys shooting over 40% and two in the top 5. Do you know what your "5% drop" actually means in the court? Grant Williams takes 3.7 threes per game. 5% of 3.7 is...0.185. Wh8ch in real world terms is ...one more missed three every five games.

You are full of shit. The end.

So again, 4 guys shooting 5% or more below their average from when I made my initial post. I guess there's no regression in going from the best 3PT% shooting team in the league to 6th, right? No regression from their 120+ ORTG at the time? No regression from their 18 - 4 start? You do realize that 5% drop includes that hot start in that season average, right? Grant Williams for example has shot 37.6% from 3 since, which is 7.6% less than what he averaged in his first 20. 37.6% is closer to league average while 45% would be considered elite. They're no longer title favorites like they were back then. That's regression. If they were still the best team in the league with the best odds, I wouldn't care about the 3PT% regressing as much, but that's clearly not the case.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 10:44 AM
Again: One more miss every five games.

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 10:44 AM
Again: One more miss every five games.

18 - 4, title favorites, Tatum potential MVP to 2nd in the Conference and ECF exit at best. No regression whatsoever.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 10:48 AM
18 - 4, title favorites, Tatum potential MVP to 2nd in the Conference and ECF exit at best. No regression whatsoever.

The only thing you wrote here that isn't just opinion is them having the second best record in the East. Celtics (like everyone else, including the Bucks to be fair) tested a number of players throughout the season and in the end have the second best record in the league. By two games.

ImKobe
04-09-2023, 10:59 AM
The only thing you wrote here that isn't just opinion is them having the second best record in the East. Celtics (like everyone else, including the Bucks to be fair) tested a number of players throughout the season and in the end have the second best record in the league. By two games.

I'm pretty sure the betting odds had them as favorites to win it all + Tatum was #1 in the ESPN MVP straw poll. They have the 7th best record post-ASB and you're 15th in 3PT% in that stretch, and we're talking about a stretch of 22 games going into the POs, and I know some if it is resting + injuries, but other teams have had to deal with those issues as well so you can't just put it all on that.

Real Men Wear Green
04-09-2023, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty sure the betting odds had them as favorites to win it all + Tatum was #1 in the ESPN MVP straw poll. They have the 7th best record post-ASB and you're 15th in 3PT% in that stretch, and we're talking about a stretch of 22 games going into the POs, and I know some if it is resting + injuries, but other teams have had to deal with those issues as well so you can't just put it all on that.

Betting odds are whatever they are. Though for the record i am pretty sure the Celtics are first or second in champ odds it doesn't particularly matter to me. All that business about the Celtics make the ECF at best? Just your opinion.

MMM
04-10-2023, 02:15 AM

They had the 7th best record post ASG but it was only a game out of the 2nd best record and two games out of the best record. They also had the best net rating by far and similar gap from 1st to 2nd place.

They started 21-5 and has a 2 2 advantage from them and 2nd place

They are 15-8 post ASG with a 2.1 advantage over 2nd.

The Celtics are not an ECF at best team you are presenting. I dont know where you are getting that from.

ImKobe
04-10-2023, 04:27 AM
They had the 7th best record post ASG but it was only a game out of the 2nd best record and two games out of the best record. They also had the best net rating by far and similar gap from 1st to 2nd place.

They started 21-5 and has a 2 2 advantage from them and 2nd place

They are 15-8 post ASG with a 2.1 advantage over 2nd.

The Celtics are not an ECF at best team you are presenting. I dont know where you are getting that from.

ECF team because Bucks are the favorite to win it, obviously Boston has a chance but they did go from championship favorites to being 2nd to Milwaukee.