PDA

View Full Version : The opportunity cost of Joel Embiid taking on such a large offensive burden

Im Still Ballin
04-13-2023, 09:42 PM
I've been thinking about this for some time. I'm not sure a center taking on such a large offensive burden is ideal for team success. Especially if that center has conditioning issues. Hear me out on this.

A center needs to excel and bring 100% effort on three things:

- Defense
- Rebounding
- Setting screens and finishing high-percentage plays in the paint

When Joel is tasked with being the offensive engine, it takes a lot of energy and expends significant resources. We're talking about a very high usage rate. 20+ shots per game plus all the passes and other scoring attempts that lead to free throws and don't count as field goal attempts.

That's a lot of responsibility on his part. Something has to give when a player takes on such a large offensive burden. It's always the defensive effort.

I feel like it's easier to get away with this if the player in question is not a center. LeBron and Kobe taking plays off to pace themselves is less catastrophic than Joel Embiid/Shaq doing the same. As mentioned earlier, the center has certain essential responsibilities. Key deliverables that are fundamental to team success.

Rebounding, defense, and rim running are the first things to go when Embiid's tired. He settles for jumpers; he takes plays off on defense. I think these issues rear their ugly head in the playoffs where there is less rest. Phil Jackson made it a point for Shaq to up his effort on the boards and playing defense.

Joel is going up against teams with certified high-quality roleplayers at center. Al Horford, Rob Williams, Evan Mobley, Jarrett Allen, Brook Lopez, etc. They can give 100% on defense, rebounding, and setting screens and finishing plays in the paint. They don't have to carry an offense.

That's the consequence of Joel Embiid taking on such an offensive burden. The opportunity cost. And I think it helps me understand why the wheels always fall off the wagon.

Can he win playing this way? Yes, but I think he'd be better off decreasing his scoring responsibilities and giving more on defense and rebounding.

What do you think?

warriorfan
04-14-2023, 12:02 AM
absolutely. dwight’s downfall was not only his back injuries but him demanding more low post touches. a center’s primary focus is defense and rebounding. especially in today’s nba. elite scoring is of course a gigantic plus but at what cost does it come is the thing.

iamgine
04-14-2023, 01:11 AM
I think the reason Embiid can afford to do it is they have PJ Tucker who can guard 1-5 expanding so much energy on defense, Embiid only need to sit near the rim and protect it most of the time. That's not very tiring.

BigShotBob
04-14-2023, 03:25 AM
Hakeem did it

FKAri
04-14-2023, 10:33 AM
Hakeem did it

Easier to play D in the 90s as a big which has to be taken into account.

Nowitness
04-14-2023, 10:42 AM
Duncan did it.

PeroAntic
04-14-2023, 10:48 AM
If he does what op wants he will be ordinary. Because he doesnt he is special. I don't see the problem here, someone as talented as Embiid shouldnt limit himself on offense so that he plays harder on defense. He should play as hard as he can on defense regardless.

MMM
04-14-2023, 10:49 AM
The OP is right, Embiid is asked to do too much and this usually results in him flamingout in the playoffs. However, serms like the Sixers are also aware of this and asked Embiid to not bang in the post any longer. Instead Embiid is getting the ball arohnd the FT line and stepping into jumpers off pick and rolls, he is also getting smaller defenders to switch on him and going to work.

They still ask him to do a lot and it will be interesting to see if these small subtle changes help him maintain as the playoffs progress.

Real Men Wear Green
04-14-2023, 11:00 AM
There are too many great centers in NBA history to agree with this premise. I don't think Philly will win it all but Embiid is not the reason why.

ShawkFactory
04-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Duncan did it.

Like Hakeem, Duncan also didn’t have to chase people around the perimeter.