PDA

View Full Version : Coach Popovich benefitted coaching Tim Duncan.

Lebron23
04-14-2023, 04:05 AM
"Coach Popovich benefitted coaching Tim Duncan. Duncan got that Bill Russell effect" In the post Team Duncan era the Spurs only made it in the playoffs twice" No Duncan = No Finals and No Championship for San Antonio"

https://scontent.fmnl4-6.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/340947784_1036841387292179_3432889510460821252_n.j pg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=kQi_p5rTU_8AX_dEwdy&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-6.fna&oh=00_AfCMdY_oWpm_ZjkIF5E5Gg-j10zbDILqfTa3HyOlcpI_zA&oe=643E6705

Spurs m8
04-14-2023, 04:55 AM
We know

Nowitness
04-14-2023, 10:32 AM
This was always known to people outside of LA. Pop himself has stated his 'secret' to success was tank, draft Tim Duncan then stay alive. I've never once heard Jackson claim Kobe was responsible for his rings (and I mean the 5 Kobe won, ignoring the 6 Jackson won without him).

I thought SA was the best organization in sports? Interesting that started in 1997, and ended in 2017. Before Timmy SA had 5 coaches in 8 seasons, struggled to contain superstar egos and had requested permission to leave Texas. They strike gold, and for 20 seasons the only issue that comes out of SA was Parker shagging Brent Barry's wife. Within a couple of seasons of Duncan walking away (notice he didn't need a retirement tour to validate himself), we've seen the Kawhi disaster, LMA threaten to retire unless moved, Parker leave as a FA, DeRozan and Murray be mismanaged and go onto be All-NBA type payers, and a new round of tanking for a generational talent. Pop is now 30 games UNDER .500 without Duncan. And even that lone vaunted season in which after Timmy they went to a WCF, it's because Duncan took a paycut (Kobe demanded max money when washed) and recruited LMA and Gasol for when he was done (Kobe isolated teammates meaning Howard was the only great player who willingly played with him, he left a year later).

Only player in modern history to win mutiple titles without a current All-NBA teammate, and he did it 4 times. The man was the best leader, winner and teammate in the post-Russell era, and a top 5 player all time.

Lebron23
04-15-2023, 02:05 AM
This was always known to people outside of LA. Pop himself has stated his 'secret' to success was tank, draft Tim Duncan then stay alive. I've never once heard Jackson claim Kobe was responsible for his rings (and I mean the 5 Kobe won, ignoring the 6 Jackson won without him).

I thought SA was the best organization in sports? Interesting that started in 1997, and ended in 2017. Before Timmy SA had 5 coaches in 8 seasons, struggled to contain superstar egos and had requested permission to leave Texas. They strike gold, and for 20 seasons the only issue that comes out of SA was Parker shagging Brent Barry's wife. Within a couple of seasons of Duncan walking away (notice he didn't need a retirement tour to validate himself), we've seen the Kawhi disaster, LMA threaten to retire unless moved, Parker leave as a FA, DeRozan and Murray be mismanaged and go onto be All-NBA type payers, and a new round of tanking for a generational talent. Pop is now 30 games UNDER .500 without Duncan. And even that lone vaunted season in which after Timmy they went to a WCF, it's because Duncan took a paycut (Kobe demanded max money when washed) and recruited LMA and Gasol for when he was done (Kobe isolated teammates meaning Howard was the only great player who willingly played with him, he left a year later).

Only player in modern history to win mutiple titles without a current All-NBA teammate, and he did it 4 times. The man was the best leader, winner and teammate in the post-Russell era, and a top 5 player all time.

That's why Duncan is rank higher than Kobe and Shaq.

SouBeachTalents
04-15-2023, 02:33 AM
Tim Duncan is a 2x MVP's & 3x FMVP's and was a better Finals performers than Kobe. I has him in my top 10 list of all time. Coach Popovich hasn't won a championships since Duncan retire.

Overdrive
04-15-2023, 03:32 AM
How many championships would the Utah Jazz did wins with Tim Duncan instead of Hornacek?

SouBeachTalents
04-15-2023, 04:01 AM
How many championships would the Utah Jazz did wins with Tim Duncan instead of Hornacek?
The Jazz would win 5-6 championship with Duncan, and would defeats Michael Jordan in the Finals. Tim Duncan, Karl Malone & John Stockton would make for a good Big 3, and Karl Malone would be a top 10 players of all time.

pandiani17
04-15-2023, 04:29 AM
I think the coaches need good players to have good results, and that players need good coaches to have good results. In other words, we can aslo make this question. Would Tim Duncan have that much sucess with another head coach and in another environment? By the way, he is really underrated when it comes to conversations about the best players of all-time.

Overdrive
04-15-2023, 05:08 AM
The Jazz would win 5-6 championship with Duncan, and would defeats Michael Jordan in the Finals. Tim Duncan, Karl Malone & John Stockton would make for a good Big 3, and Karl Malone would be a top 10 players of all time.

Karl Malone was a Power Forward. He did won 2 MVPs. I buys his shoes to play basketball.

ImKobe
04-15-2023, 07:30 AM
I think it's the other way around. They were still a #1 defense, won 61 games and were contending for a championship (up 20+ before Kawhi injury on a GS team that went 16 - 1) after TDs retirement and made the POs with teams that on paper shouldn't have been in the mix after Kawhi's injury/trade.

Axe
04-15-2023, 08:14 AM
I think it's the other way around. They were still a #1 defense, won 61 games and were contending for a championship (up 20+ before Kawhi injury on a GS team that went 16 - 1) after TDs retirement and made the POs with teams that on paper shouldn't have been in the mix after Kawhi's injury/trade.
^^Fuming.

Three finals mvps > two finals mvps

:kobe:

ImKobe
04-15-2023, 08:40 AM
^^Fuming.

Three finals mvps > two finals mvps

:kobe:

Kobe owned the Spurs.. outplayed TD in the POs 4 out of 5 series in the 2000s..

JohnMax
04-15-2023, 09:13 AM
Great players and great coaches attract each other. You think it's a coincidence Spurs started winning championships immediately since they had both of those things in year 1 while other great players had to wait for a great coach to arrive on the scene before they could start winning championships.

Axe
04-15-2023, 09:15 AM
Kobe owned the Spurs.. outplayed TD in the POs 4 out of 5 series in the 2000s..
At least td has multiple playoff trips with the very team that drafted him. :pimp:

Wally450
04-15-2023, 09:25 AM
Who said the quote in the OP?

Lebron23
04-16-2023, 08:48 AM
Who said the quote in the OP?

Mr LeBron23

HoopologyPhD
04-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Op is a genius what will be the next post, human beings benefited from the invention of the wheel?