PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another playoffs where things will be determined by health

Nike D'Antoni
04-17-2023, 10:52 AM
The Bucks won that fluke championship in 2021 because the Lakers, Clippers, and Nets all had injuries to deal with. This looks like another season like that.

Summary of injuries (so far):

Ja Morant, right hand - said pain level is at a "10" and there's a chance he won't play Wednesday

Giannis Antetokounmpo, lower back contusion - X-rays negative; uncertain for Wednesday

Tyler Herro, broken right hand - out indefinitely

MMM
04-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Injuries happen every year which is why the bubble is viewed differently because its the one year everyone played under the same conditions.

jayfan
04-17-2023, 11:16 AM
Injuries are not new. They have existed since the beginning of time.

They have always been, and will always be, part of the game.

90sgoat
04-17-2023, 11:29 AM
Injuries are not new. They have existed since the beginning of time.

They have always been, and will always be, part of the game.

I think it's fair to say that players sucked it up and played injured on injections more in the past.

Dirk came out talking about this about how he has problems walking, jumping and running now. Many others are in a similar position.

I understand why athletes don't want to risk their health, but it does take away something of the passion in the sport. Boxing has the same problem. No one wants to get pummeled in the face anymore.

GrayGoat
04-17-2023, 11:39 AM
I think it's fair to say that players sucked it up and played injured on injections more in the past.

Dirk came out talking about this about how he has problems walking, jumping and running now. Many others are in a similar position.

I understand why athletes don't want to risk their health, but it does take away something of the passion in the sport. Boxing has the same problem. No one wants to get pummeled in the face anymore.
That’s mostly players that are around 7ft tall. The body can’t handle the stress at those proportions

tpols
04-17-2023, 11:44 AM
Why are players today so soft? I look at game logs of stars from the 80s and 90s and they never missed a game. Isiah Thomas literally hopped around on one leg and dropped a dominant performance. Guy's today sit out at the slightest pain. They're soft af and only care about the massive amounts of money they can make by resting and prolonging.

Hey Yo
04-17-2023, 11:53 AM
Why are players today so soft? I look at game logs of stars from the 80s and 90s and they never missed a game. Isiah Thomas literally hopped around on one leg and dropped a dominant performance. Guy's today sit out at the slightest pain. They're soft af and only care about the massive amounts of money they can make by resting and prolonging.

A broken hand is "the slightest of pain?"

tpols
04-17-2023, 12:04 PM
A broken hand is "the slightest of pain?"

Definitely easier than playing on one leg.

https://youtu.be/ysBBPJT6nJ8

Kobe played with what would be considered a broken hand in the 2010 Finals and wouldn't sit out a minute.

Wrap it up.

Hey Yo
04-17-2023, 12:07 PM
Confirmed broken >>>>> speculation on how painful the "injured" ankle actually is.

90sgoat
04-17-2023, 12:14 PM
Why are players today so soft?

It's just culture.

The world has gotten more feminine, which is good in some cases and bad in others.

Back in the day, basketball was more of a working class sport and the working class says to "suck it up".

Today basketball is for middle class and spoiled kids. All these former player children in the league. Those kids are essentially rich kids. We don't think about it, but they are, they grew up in luxury. If you grow up in luxury, you know it's not worth ruining your body for being considered tough.

And in addition, you have these young players being recruited at age 10 and then sponsored through camps, AAU etc, so that playground culture is also dying. Where will the learn to be tough? From whom?

bison
04-17-2023, 12:16 PM

They also had shorter careers/primes, but I think players should be aiming to play 8-10 seasons instead of 15-20 anyway (unless they are a once in a generation type player like Roid). Also it's so dumb calling players 'soft' as if there was a de-evolution of the male body just within the last 20 years. It's obviously the fault of medical and training staffs with all these modernized and experimental training regimens, they expect these players bodies to be high specialized instead of just doing the fundamentals.

90sgoat
04-17-2023, 12:17 PM
They also had shorter careers/primes, but I think players should be aiming to play 8-10 seasons instead of 15-20 anyway

This is just optimizing earnings, particularly if you're a role player.

I think the league should make contracts dependent on games instead of seasons.

bison
04-17-2023, 12:18 PM
It's just culture.

The world has gotten more feminine, which is good in some cases and bad in others.

Back in the day, basketball was more of a working class sport and the working class says to "suck it up".

:oldlol:

I love when you obese, diabetes-ridden keyboard warriors dictate what makes a professional athlete "soft". Many of you have the nerve to call someone like AD "soft" while you probably pull a muscle each time you tie your shoes.

tpols
04-17-2023, 12:19 PM
They also had shorter careers/primes, but I think players should be aiming to play 8-10 seasons instead of 15-20 anyway (unless they are a once in a generation type player like Roid). Also it's so dumb calling players 'soft' as if there was a de-evolution of the male body just within the last 20 years. It's obviously the fault of medical and training staffs with all these modernized and experimental training regimens, they expect these players bodies to be high specialized instead of just doing the fundamentals.

It's about mentality and money. Professionals back then actually treated games like it was their job and wouldn't allow themselves to miss a day of work. It was a pride thing. Nowadays there's too much money to be made by sitting. That way you're always fresh and can garner speculative 200 million dollar contracts that you wouldn't secure if you played through pain and were hurt.

90sgoat
04-17-2023, 12:32 PM
:oldlol:

I love when you obese, diabetes-ridden keyboard warriors dictate what makes a professional athlete "soft". Many of you have the nerve to call someone like AD "soft" while you probably pull a muscle each time you tie your shoes.

I'm not obese or soft tho, my problems are all mental.

I lift and run multiple times a week and I do this despite having a slipped disc in my neck that gives me chronic pain. I know a thing or two about suffering and most people are soft.

ShawkFactory
04-17-2023, 01:18 PM
It's about mentality and money. Professionals back then actually treated games like it was their job and wouldn't allow themselves to miss a day of work. It was a pride thing. Nowadays there's too much money to be made by sitting. That way you're always fresh and can garner speculative 200 million dollar contracts that you wouldn't secure if you played through pain and were hurt.

This is what it is. As much as I too hate it, I wouldn’t consider taking care of your body so that you can potentially make an extra 100 million “soft”. Smart might be the better term.

Kblaze8855
04-17-2023, 01:21 PM
Almost every title ever won was because the best players on the champ didn’t go down. And even ones like when Kareem or Reed got hurt…they had multiple hall of famers to fill in. Lakers had Magic and Jamal Wilkes. Knicks had 2-3 hall of famers. Frazier and Dave for sure…maybe Lucas…not sure he was there yet. But they weren’t lacking.

This is really the main benefit of super teams. Ability to survive injury.

tpols
04-17-2023, 01:36 PM
This is what it is. As much as I too hate it, I wouldn’t consider taking care of your body so that you can potentially make an extra 100 million “soft”. Smart might be the better term.

I'm an outsider but I feel like if you're already worth 200 million... you've capped out on the happiness money can buy. I'd sacrifice anything past that to go down as a legend.

Johnny32
04-17-2023, 01:43 PM
Today's players move on both sides of the ball. Go watch a 90s game and laugh at how little anyone but the player with the ball and the guy defending him actually move.

sdot_thadon
04-17-2023, 02:17 PM
A game 1 damage control thread? holy cow. There are injuries every season and every post-season man, especially with supporting casts. It's random and uncontrollable so teams always have to take it in stride because you never know when things will break back your way.

ImKobe
04-17-2023, 04:28 PM
Injuries happen every year which is why the bubble is viewed differently because its the one year everyone played under the same conditions.

There were a bunch of injuries then too so why would that be any different in that sense? Dame injured his hand & knee, WB had quad injury + COVID, Bam & Dragic got injured, Giannis got injured etc..

90sgoat
04-17-2023, 04:42 PM
I'm an outsider but I feel like if you're already worth 200 million... you've capped out on the happiness money can buy. I'd sacrifice anything past that to go down as a legend.

These guys spend like there's no tomorrow and we all know that mo money mo problems.

There's also the status of being an NBA player. Money buys you lots of things, but not people getting an autograph or women throwing themselves at you.

Particularly because a lot of these guys historically have not handled being retired well. Like what are most of them going to do? They've done nothing but ball, most don't have any real college education, few interests outside clothes and playstation.

What are they going to do when they're retired?