PDA

View Full Version : Wizards fire GM

tontoz
04-20-2023, 09:40 AM
:banana:

Wizards fire general manager Tommy Sheppard after missing playoffs in three of his four seasons at the helm
Sheppard took over for Ernie Grunfeld in 2019

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/wizards-fire-general-manager-tommy-sheppard-after-missing-playoffs-in-three-of-his-four-seasons-at-the-helm/

Nice to see some accountability for a change. Grunfeld had the job for 15 years i believe before finally getting canned. Wizards fans were so excited, then they just promoted someone who was working for Grunfeld. What could possibly go wrong?

Now the owner has said they plan on hiring someone from outside the org. FINALLY

For those that dont know the Wizards haven't had a 50 win season since the 70s. :cry:

Axe
04-20-2023, 09:41 AM
I feel for you, uncle. :ohwell:

Hoping a rebuild goes well in the future.

Charlie Sheen
04-20-2023, 12:38 PM
His draft picks were okay. Rui, Deni and Kispert all look like they belong in the NBA. Not stars but rotational players for sure.

One thing that is lost in the history of The Process was Brett Brown actually had teams playing respectable defense during those years. While he may not be the guy to lead a contender, feels like he would be a great fit for where the Wiz are at right now.

tontoz
04-20-2023, 12:47 PM
His draft picks were okay. Rui, Deni and Kispert all look like they belong in the NBA. Not stars but rotational players for sure.

One thing that is lost in the history of The Process was Brett Brown actually had teams playing respectable defense during those years. While he may not be the guy to lead a contender, feels like he would be a great fit for where the Wiz are at right now.

The draft picks were actually the big problem. Picking Deni over Haliburton was a crime. They just picked Johnny Davis at 10 who looks awful.

Shep did pretty well on trades but resigning Beal for $50 million per year was just a firing offense by itself. Bidding against nobody.

Charlie Sheen
04-20-2023, 01:02 PM
Truth be told, I am still living way in the past and measuring the Wizards picks against complete wastes like Vesely. :lol

tontoz
04-20-2023, 01:13 PM
Truth be told, I am still living way in the past and measuring the Wizards picks against complete wastes like Vesely. :lol

:oldlol:

They actually had 2 first rounders that year and picked Vesely at 6 and Chris Singleton at 18. Both were out of the league in 3 years. :facepalm

AlternativeAcc.
04-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Nobody cares.

tontoz
04-20-2023, 01:20 PM
Nobody cares.

You cared enough to pry your nose away from Lebron's nether regions and respond.

Charlie Sheen
04-20-2023, 03:51 PM
Do you have any opinion on Unseld? Keeping him feels like less of an endorsement than it is about controlling costs...paying 2 head coaches when the team is going nowhere the next 2 seasons anyway.

Do you see any scenario where Porz, Kuz and Beal can make a quick turnaround to be competitive... lets say > .500? Wiz lose their pick if they do not finish above protections for the wall/westbrook trade right? That is a little incentive to try and be mediocre with this group.

tontoz
04-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Do you have any opinion on Unseld? Keeping him feels like less of an endorsement than it is about controlling costs...paying 2 head coaches when the team is going nowhere the next 2 seasons anyway.

Do you see any scenario where Porz, Kuz and Beal can make a quick turnaround to be competitive... lets say > .500? Wiz lose their pick if they do not finish above protections for the wall/westbrook trade right? That is a little incentive to try and be mediocre with this group.

I think Unseld is ok. His options are pretty limited with that roster.

No they aren't going to be competitive with Beal on that contract. Dude hasn't made the All Star game the last two years and he is on a 5 year, $251 million/yr contract. KP was good for us and they will probably resign him. I dont think they can afford Kuzma. Owner has never gone into the luxury tax.

They have their 2023 1st round pick. Next year the protections will drop to top-12, then top-10 in 2025 and top-8 in 2026.

Frankly i would like to see them just blow it up and start over like Utah did but the owner has absolutely refused to tank.
He prefers the unintentional tank. :facepalm

Manny98
04-20-2023, 05:56 PM
Bout time

Wizards have been in a state of limbo for the past 10 years where they're too good to get a top pick in the draft but not good enough to make a run in the postseason.

Maybe they can get a sense of direction with a new GM

90sgoat
04-20-2023, 10:12 PM
The draft picks were actually the big problem. Picking Deni over Haliburton was a crime. They just picked Johnny Davis at 10 who looks awful.

Shep did pretty well on trades but resigning Beal for $50 million per year was just a firing offense by itself. Bidding against nobody.

Yeah Beal is not a supermax guy and Porzingis is cool, but the ship has sailed for him to be a leader of a playoff team.

They're basically a team of second options but with no budget to get a first option.

Full Court
04-20-2023, 10:50 PM
Even the Wizards made the playoffs with Westbrook.

But Lebron couldn't. :lol

nayte
04-21-2023, 04:00 AM
You cared enough to pry your nose away from Lebron's nether regions and respond.

:roll:
That's him in a nutshell

Nike D'Antoni
04-22-2023, 10:52 PM
Trading RUI Hachimuira for Kendrick Nunn is fireable by itself