PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bucks 2021 championship an asterisk?

Nike D'Antoni
04-24-2023, 10:07 PM
Bucks are just not that good. They won in an injury ravaged down year. They're pretty much the same as the Sixers

Per Proctor. What you think?

Proctor
04-24-2023, 10:08 PM
Yes, thanks OP

Kblaze8855
04-24-2023, 10:12 PM
Literally every single time this has been asked of any nba champ the answer is no. All of them. No exceptions. Nothing you think will ever make it stick…no matter who you’re asking this question about.

ImKobe
04-24-2023, 10:14 PM
Nah man they earned it in the Finals. There have been much weaker runs than that 2021 one.

Sportal
04-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Per Proctor. What you think?

Can I ask what in particular made that year an Asterisk for them? Injured players? Which were those again? If that were to be an asterisk year, I'd say the last decade would be up for review, the years that come to mind are where multiple teams' best players were injured and the Warriors won.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2023, 10:15 PM
no bubble no asterisk

highwhey
04-24-2023, 10:16 PM
absolutely it is. giannis isn't a real superstar. he's getting bounced by the heat. what a joke.

ArbitraryWater
04-24-2023, 10:17 PM
No.

ast year they woud have won with Middeton aso.

Axe
04-24-2023, 10:17 PM
Can I ask what in particular made that year an Asterisk for them? Injured players? Which were those again? If that were to be an asterisk year, I'd say the last decade would be up for review, the years that come to mind are where multiple teams' best players were injured and the Warriors won.
That seems interesting.

hold this L
04-24-2023, 10:20 PM
There's no asterisk at all, but they are not as great as advertised. They're just a very good championship team.

Kblaze8855
04-24-2023, 10:20 PM

The Pistons won a title by beating the Celtics without Larry Bird and the Lakers with Magic only being healthy a game and a half. They lifted a trophy in a game Magic Johnson didn’t suit up in after a game 3 where he gutted out all of 5 minutes before he had to be pulled.

90% of the people reading this had no idea that happened.

Know why?

Nobody cares.

RRR3
04-24-2023, 10:21 PM
The only time a ring is an asterisk is if it is confirmed it was rigged in favor of the winning team.

Kblaze8855
04-24-2023, 10:24 PM
absolutely it is. giannis isn't a real superstar. he's getting bounced by the heat. what a joke.

Funny thing is this line of thinking will just invalidate the Heats win in the future(if they do) because they will have won 2 games with Giannis injured.

But that’s how all asterisk talk works. Just pulled out of someone’s ass to fit the situation.

SATAN
04-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Why does everything someone dislikes have to be an asterisk?

NBA fans are ****ing pathetic.

Axe
04-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Why does everything someone dislikes have to be an asterisk?

NBA fans are ****ing pathetic.
Especially when it has something to do with lebron. Amazeballs.

Proctor
04-24-2023, 10:48 PM
There's no asterisk at all, but they are not as great as advertised. They're just a very good championship team.
This was all I really meant despite some extra flair for Bucks fans. There's no such thing as a "fake ring", they certainly worked for it, Giannis stepped up, etc. But I never before the ring (or after) thought of them as any better than the current Sixers, current Grizzlies, etc. Very good teams that I would never bet on in any year and far from a team I peg as a "favorite" or a leading contender just because they won a ring when they did.

Wally450
04-24-2023, 10:49 PM
Every ring has an asterisk if you want to get technical.

highwhey
04-25-2023, 01:34 AM
Funny thing is this line of thinking will just invalidate the Heats win in the future(if they do) because they will have won 2 games with Giannis injured.

But that’s how all asterisk talk works. Just pulled out of someone’s ass to fit the situation.

i mean, herro is missing too. and giannis lost to a team they really should not have lost to. on paper, the bucks are the better team overall. giannis is just a bitch though. we've covered this OG. giannis doesn't have the intangibles that other superstars have.

RRR3
04-25-2023, 01:39 AM
Bucks are too flawed and poorly coached to be what I consider a real title contender, despite them winning in 2021. However, Giannis is a legitimate championship caliber number one, and he earned that ring. You can only play who is in front of you. Do I think the Bucks win if the Nets stay healthy? Definitely not. I honestly don't think they were beating the Hawks if Trae stayed healthy either (although Giannis getting hurt made the Bucks chances lower than they usually would be in this case). But you could say this about many title teams. Injuries are a part of the game.

Nike D'Antoni
04-25-2023, 09:59 PM
Kyrie Irving says if he didn’t get hurt against the Bucks in 2021, the Nets would’ve won the championship.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FumtmVWacAEkUPj?format=jpg&name=900x900

Jasper
04-25-2023, 10:05 PM
Nah man they earned it in the Finals. There have been much weaker runs than that 2021 one.

thank you .
Lets not forget 50 point game 6 giannis brought it home.

kawhileonard2
04-25-2023, 10:54 PM
Clippers would have won if no Covid. 2008 Celtics and 2020 Clippers were same boat to win it all that year.

Mask the Embiid
04-25-2023, 11:14 PM
Anytime you don’t win 2 rings back to back or within a certain amount of time. It looks like a asterisk. Raptors,Mavs, pistons, ect. All those rings no one truly believes they were the best team, we all just think (the only reason they won is because of _____ ).

Examples kd going down, Lebron having a meltdown, kobe trying to steal finals mvp.

Sportal
04-26-2023, 01:04 AM
Clippers would have won if no Covid. 2008 Celtics and 2020 Clippers were same boat to win it all that year.

So why didn't they win when everyone had the same circumstances and situation, creating the most level playing field a playoffs for any sport has ever seen? No crowds, no travel, no distractions(other than living away from family, which every other player had to do too).

Axe
04-26-2023, 01:09 AM
So why didn't they win when everyone had the same circumstances and situation, creating the most level playing field a playoffs for any sport has ever seen? No crowds, no travel, no distractions(other than living away from family, which every other player had to do too).
Because they suddenly found themselves bumping into this guy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCgBPs-AePrGeWRraNTnyZZ75W9OI48mv86g&usqp=CAU

Sportal
04-26-2023, 01:14 AM
That seems interesting.

Yeah I think one year we saw the Clippers CRUSH the Spurs, and then Cp3 was injured, maybe Blake too? I think Harden was injured at some point for the Rockets, and I also think Parker was too for when the Spurs were the challenge for the Warriors. Don't even need to mention the Cavaliers with their injuries. Injuries happen in sports, that is just the way it is. No-one is ever going to say/remember these details... People have already forgotten the free-throw calls difference between the Miami Heat and the Dallas Mavericks in 2006... And that Mark Cuban tried to take someone to court. No-one even really talks about KD/Klay being injured when Kawhi and the Raptors won. It is only a particular group of fans that even bother themselves.

Iverson3
06-01-2023, 04:10 AM

You are an idiot

BigShotBob
06-01-2023, 04:31 AM
The Pistons won a title by beating the Celtics without Larry Bird and the Lakers with Magic only being healthy a game and a half. They lifted a trophy in a game Magic Johnson didn’t suit up in after a game 3 where he gutted out all of 5 minutes before he had to be pulled.

90% of the people reading this had no idea that happened.

Know why?

Nobody cares.

And the year before Isiah was hobbled and the Lakers hoisted the trophy as if they deserved it.

90sgoat
06-01-2023, 04:42 AM
Definitely not, but Giannis is probably not who some think he is.

That is, when faced with strong teams with strong coaching, he will suffer like Lebron from not having a shot.

plowking
06-01-2023, 04:45 AM
Giannis' finals performance is better than any performance Bron, MJ, Kobe, Durant or Shaq ever put up.

Just putting that out there.

Akeem34TheDream
06-01-2023, 05:01 AM
I think the main problem is seeing it as a binary thing. Like is it legit or are they frauds? Some title runs are better than the others. Some are anti-climactic. That doesn't mean its asterisked though. Not every championship have the same value.

BarberSchool
06-01-2023, 05:05 AM
Only asterisks that can be argued for amongst serious company:

1. Bubble (solid)

2. Very shortened lockout seasons. (Questionable)

3. Rings before 1967 (u really gonna sh!t on your elder’s divinities?)

iamgine
06-01-2023, 05:43 AM
Yes in the sense that every championship ever has an asterisk (AKA Context).