PDA

View Full Version : Is it dissapointing for Cavs that they got dismantled so easily?

90sgoat
04-27-2023, 01:22 PM
With the series over, it didn't even look close.

On paper, these two teams where evenly matched. Some might even give it to Cavs with their dynamic star Donovan Mitchell and their up and coming big man duo of Jarett Allen and Evan Mobley, not to mention Darius Garland, who also excites when his game is on.

Knicks on the other hand, might have had the second biggest name on paper with All-Star bully baller Julius Randle, but other than that, the Knicks were widely considered as a group of flawed talents, not quite good enough players, like Mitchell Robinson, Josh Hart and RJ Barrett, the latter of whom seem to have stepped and be comfortable in the playoff environment.

Is the different in leadership between Brunson and Mitchell that obvious?

In my prediction thread (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?511054-Mavs-Luka-fans-who-you-got-in-the-playoffs) I was always high on the Knicks, choosing them as my Eastern Conference team (along with Sac-Town for the West).

Me being high on the Knicks is because I've seem them bully Mavs and Luka over the last couple of seasons. They're a tough, defensive minded team, and while on paper they don't look as good as say Cleveland, in reality, their perimeter guys like Barrett and Quickley are tough defenders and Mitchell Robinson patrols the paint.

Imo, they have a very strong core and they should be a prime location for a big free agent signing, say ... Pascal Siakam? Or Klay Thompson? Or maybe even James Harden in a 6th man role.

Cleveland on the other hand, will have some soul searching to do.

As the great sports scholar FultzNationRise (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ) said: "Tried telling yall Mitchell is a stat stuffer, not a floor general. Brunson >> (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?511303-Tried-telling-yall-Mitchell-is-a-stat-stuffer-not-a-floor-general-Brunson-gt-gt)".

And I tend to agree, that he isn't a floor general, but he is a very exciting and athletic shooting guard, who just needs his Curry/Paul, so he can slide to a more natural role of scorer and not be a leader.

That leaves the odd man out, Darius Garland, who simply does not fit what Cleveland are doing. He's an exciting scoring guard, but like Mitchell, contributes nothing in the form of playmaking and even less in leadership. He should be possible to trade for a nice haul. Incidentally, Cleveland would have been good with Brunson, but he's in Knicks, so the goal this summer for Cavs, should be to find a veteran point guard.

They might also have to do some thinking about what kind of identity they want. Are they an exciting scoring team, lead by the modern big Mobley or are they a nitty-gritty physical team led by Allen. The fact they got bullied so much by Knicks, might be the writing on the wall, that they're not a physical team. Should Cavs trade Allen for some more talent in scoring down low?

In any case, the Cleveland Cavaliers are one of the more up and coming exciting teams in the NBA, but their core has flaws and unless they act to get more balance, they might end up in a OKC big-3 situation soon enough.

imdaman99
04-27-2023, 10:06 PM
I know it's fans job to be cocky and arrogant, but someone posted on the Knicks subreddit how the Cavs fans were very smug and wondering how they would match up against the Bucks... go figure neither team advanced :lol

Still got a bunch of Cavs players talking about how they still felt like they were the better team but had a bad series. Sure Danny Green :lol

90sgoat
04-27-2023, 10:12 PM
I know it's fans job to be cocky and arrogant, but someone posted on the Knicks subreddit how the Cavs fans were very smug and wondering how they would match up against the Bucks... go figure neither team advanced :lol

Still got a bunch of Cavs players talking about how they still felt like they were the better team but had a bad series. Sure Danny Green :lol

Cavs got humbled.

I'm surprised by it honestly. Thought they were better. Might just be too young.

imdaman99
04-27-2023, 10:20 PM
Cavs got humbled.

I'm surprised by it honestly. Thought they were better. Might just be too young.

To be honest, they rolled over pretty quietly. Garland and Mitchell is a bad defensive duo, we saw it in Portland for how many years? You can surround them with 3 elite defensive players, but it's not enough.

As it is, I don't know if they have any elite defensive players. I thought Allen and Mobley were that... I was not impressed with either. Mobley got bullied often and Allen gave up a lot of offensive rebounds to Mitchell Robinson.

The other guy, levert is ever so enigmatic. He doesn't get the ball much and sometimes he's invisible, other times looks like he can be good enough to even be a #2.

The one guy I liked was Okoro. He plays defense and Brunson was not able to do much against him. I guess Cavs don't play him enough because he's not really a shooter. Knicks cheated off him any time they could to help on Mitchell or Garland.

90sgoat
04-27-2023, 11:00 PM
To be honest, they rolled over pretty quietly. Garland and Mitchell is a bad defensive duo, we saw it in Portland for how many years? You can surround them with 3 elite defensive players, but it's not enough.

As it is, I don't know if they have any elite defensive players. I thought Allen and Mobley were that... I was not impressed with either. Mobley got bullied often and Allen gave up a lot of offensive rebounds to Mitchell Robinson.

The other guy, levert is ever so enigmatic. He doesn't get the ball much and sometimes he's invisible, other times looks like he can be good enough to even be a #2.

The one guy I liked was Okoro. He plays defense and Brunson was not able to do much against him. I guess Cavs don't play him enough because he's not really a shooter. Knicks cheated off him any time they could to help on Mitchell or Garland.

Forgot about Okoro yes.

I also don't like Levert, to me he is a blackhole like Tim Hardaway Junior, completely replaceable.

Fools gold team?

Definitely folded quietly yes, compared to the massive hype.

As it stands, it's Knicks who look poised to challenge Boston and Bucks as the up and comer. That's surprising.

Full Court
04-28-2023, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I expected the Cavs to come on top in the first round. Definitely a disappointing end to a solid season for them.

GrayGoat
04-29-2023, 12:17 AM
I feel like if the Cavs had a legit SF say LeBron. Than they would have faired better

imdaman99
04-29-2023, 01:17 AM
Forgot about Okoro yes.

I also don't like Levert, to me he is a blackhole like Tim Hardaway Junior, completely replaceable.

Fools gold team?

Definitely folded quietly yes, compared to the massive hype.

As it stands, it's Knicks who look poised to challenge Boston and Bucks as the up and comer. That's surprising.

Knicks match up surprisingly well against the Celtics :lol iffffffff they get by the Heat, I would welcome a series against the Celtics. Imagine the Knicks making a deep run :lol I thought there was no chance they could contend for the title. Let's just say by some miracle they make it to the finals... they would have HCA over the Suns, Lakers or Warriors. I don't see them beating any of them but who knows. Sign me the F up for the finals :roll:

OK back to the task at hand, Herro is a Knicks killer so the longer he's out the better. And Hart is a good matchup against Jimmy. Pretty sure Jimmy had his worst per possession scoring on Hart :pimp: let's find out that Jimmy is a diff player in the playoffs :lol