PDA

View Full Version : Shots fired: Doc's fired.

Real Men Wear Green
05-16-2023, 11:29 AM
Don't blame Embiid. Don't blame Harden. Don't blame Doc.

Blame Brown and Tatum. Second Sixers coach they've gotten rid of.

Kblaze8855
05-16-2023, 11:30 AM
I think we all saw that coming. All these guys who just got fired are gonna play musical chairs.

1987_Lakers
05-16-2023, 11:31 AM
Most overrated coach in the last 15 years.

Wardell Curry
05-16-2023, 11:31 AM
I think we all saw that coming. All these guys who just got fired are gonna play musical chairs.

Trueing. NBA front offices are funny.

Also trueing.

Spuddywebby
05-16-2023, 11:36 AM
Can’t wait to see Philly fans getting excited over whoever the next coach is, and then whichever journeymen role players they sign, only to lose early in the playoffs again next season.

Kblaze8855
05-16-2023, 11:38 AM

Hard to be overrated when all most people talk about is you being overrated.

Real Men Wear Green
05-16-2023, 11:39 AM
They should hire Nick Nurse. Not sure why cassel is listed after they just fired his boss. If they hire D'Antoni I will be laughing. Worst coach for yakking advantage of what Embiid brings defensively and its really to late in Harden career to be putting a contender back in his hands.

Indian guy
05-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Doc's obviously got his flaws, but winning in the playoffs with notorious playoff ghosts in Harden & Embiid is going to be hard for any coach.

1987_Lakers
05-16-2023, 11:40 AM
Hard to be overrated when all most people talk about is you being overrated.

Not really, considering he keeps getting hired by teams who are borderline championship contenders.

ImKobe
05-16-2023, 11:41 AM
Embiid threw Doc & the players under the bus from what I heard so I'm not surprised this happened. And yes, I know Embiid also took accountability, but he still pointed fingers when it was him who laid an egg in that game.

Manny98
05-16-2023, 11:43 AM
No coach is going to fix Harden and Embiid choking in the postseason :oldlol:

90sgoat
05-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Probably the last go around for Embiid in Philly.

If he fails next playoffs as well, then well, no more excuses.

Wally450
05-16-2023, 11:57 AM
Least surprising news of the day.

Which team will hire him for next season?

90sgoat
05-16-2023, 11:59 AM

Which team has an underperforming black superstar?

Charlie Sheen
05-16-2023, 12:12 PM

I was excited to answer no team... until I realized I would have to hear his irritating voice on television

SouBeachTalents
05-16-2023, 12:17 PM
With all the coaching firings, including 2 guys who literally just won rings, this was not the least bit surprising. I’ll be curious to see how this all plays out, this current coaching trend honestly doesn’t seem sustainable. Are they just gonna shuffle the same 25 coaches every 3 years :lol

Wally450
05-16-2023, 12:21 PM
I was excited to answer no team... until I realized I would have to hear his irritating voice on television

I want to say Milwaukee will give him an interview. Seeing how he coached teams with stars in Kawhi, PG then Harden, Embiid. Even going back to the Boston Big 3, he has experience coaching star players.

SlimReaper
05-16-2023, 12:27 PM
Too late...one of the most overrated coaches..

Charlie Sheen
05-16-2023, 12:39 PM
I want to say Milwaukee will give him an interview. Seeing how he coached teams with stars in Kawhi, PG then Harden, Embiid. Even going back to the Boston Big 3, he has experience coaching star players.

I came across a quote from Rasheed today... said something along the lines of Doc is great at getting grown men to buy in but thats where his leadership ends. He expected the players to make adjustments in the game on their own without any input or direction from him. Boston being his only real playoff success makes a lot more sense after reading that because the makeup of that team would be the best equipped to function without an in-game head coach.

Jasper
05-16-2023, 01:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJ_TXPH8JA

Kblaze8855
05-16-2023, 01:04 PM
Probably the last go around for Embiid in Philly.

If he fails next playoffs as well, then well, no more excuses.

What does that even mean? What tangible impact is a lack of excuses? You think they trade him?

HoopologyPhD
05-16-2023, 01:22 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Seriously, Dock Rivers seems like a nice guy but a basketball coach doesn;t do much for the players while on the court, just need a body in a suit

fourkicks44
05-16-2023, 01:38 PM
Daryl Morey was hired by the Sixers after Josh Harris and the ownership group hired Doc Rivers as Coach.

At least now The GM can hire the coach he actually wants, I guess. He is out of anymore moves, firing Doc is the only big one he has left to make besides completely blowing up the whole team, which right now looks like it is even harder than running it back whith whatever players they have left after free agency migration.

What a f'cking mess.

Ainosterhaspie
05-16-2023, 01:57 PM

Such a counter productive process. I'll never understand the fire a guy and hope to get lucky with someone new mindset. Then a team ends up hiring a guy that's been fired three times in five years or something. Give a coach a chance to grow and build continuity, and don't dump them unless you have an option of a clearly superior replacement.

And if you feel compelled to dump your coach who recently led you to a title, at least roll the dice on a fresh talent, not a retread that keeps falling short over and over again.

So many short sighted teams would have fired Popovich before he got that second title especially in today's environment.

Kblaze8855
05-16-2023, 02:33 PM
Such a counter productive process. I'll never understand the fire a guy and hope to get lucky with someone new mindset. Then a team ends up hiring a guy that's been fired three times in five years or something. Give a coach a chance to grow and build continuity, and don't dump them unless you have an option of a clearly superior replacement.

And if you feel compelled to dump your coach who recently led you to a title, at least roll the dice on a fresh talent, not a retread that keeps falling short over and over again.

So many short sighted teams would have fired Popovich before he got that second title especially in today's environment.

Funny you mention that because legend has it the Spurs decided to fire Pop and replace him with Doc rivers when Doc was an announcer/advisor there but a single win Duncan got them vs the Rockets changed their mind.

"If we lost that game, they were going to fire Pop and bring in Doc," former Spurs forward Malik Rose told Stein.Said Avery Johnson: "There was a lot of noise about Pop being potentially replaced by Doc."
Before departing to play Houston, Johnson and David Robinson met Popovich at his home, and the team responded by blowing out the Rockets. The Spurs would go on to win 31 of their next 36 games and claim the first of Popovich's five titles in San Antonio.
While the turning point of the Spurs' season and Popovich's career is hard to argue, Rivers says he doesn't believe he was one loss away from replacing Popovich in San Antonio.
"The only talk I had back then was I made sure I wasn't a part of all that bulls---," Rivers told ESPN.com on Saturday. "I don't think it was as close as people thought it was. Maybe it was. I've read that it was. I tried to stay out of it."

Then the Magic hired him to help pry Duncan away when he’d be a free agent. And it worked….till Doc told Duncan’s wife she couldn’t fly on the team plane.

BigKobeFan
05-16-2023, 02:36 PM
This is what happens when you lose by 30 points. If you lose by like a game buzzer beater, nothing happens.

90sgoat
05-16-2023, 03:13 PM
What does that even mean? What tangible impact is a lack of excuses? You think they trade him?

They should.

champion
coach of the year
9th all time in wins
top 15 coaches in nba history
thanks wikipedia

Smook A.
05-16-2023, 03:30 PM

Easily

Lakers Legend#32
05-16-2023, 03:32 PM
Please don't have him come back to TNT or ESPN.

His voice sounds like he gargles with broken glass.

Smook A.
05-16-2023, 03:33 PM
His voice sounds like he gargles with broken glass.

:roll: