PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain why Morant is in trouble - what's wrong with having a legal gun

3ba11
05-17-2023, 10:30 PM
I live in Nevada and it's open carry, so you see people in public with a gun holstered somewhere ALL THE TIME

So why is it a big deal that Morant has a gun? Is this a racial thing again? What else could be the reason why he's getting in trouble for this?

SouBeachTalents
05-17-2023, 10:33 PM
1-9

plowking
05-17-2023, 10:39 PM
You've probably never had a job - so it makes sense.

Kblaze8855
05-17-2023, 10:39 PM
I assume it’s a vague conduct detrimental thing where they can’t cite specific wrongdoing but it’s intentionally vague to cover such things. Like the 9h amendment. It’s a cover all.

Micku
05-17-2023, 10:42 PM
I live in Nevada and it's open carry, so you see people in public with a gun holstered somewhere ALL THE TIME

So why is it a big deal that Morant has a gun? Is this a racial thing again? What else could be the reason why he's getting in trouble for this?

Ja Morant represents Memphis and the NBA. The NBA doesn't like him dancing with a gun, and especially given he got in trouble with some things in the past.

It isn't illegal, he won't go to jail. But just because he didn't do anything illegal, doesn't mean the NBA would want that in their league. So, the league could suspend him or whatever. It could be part of his contract. Who knows. And if you ever had a job before, you know you can't do whatever you want on your day off. Legal or not. Every job is different tho. With the NBA, they don't want that in the league.

Duffy Pratt
05-17-2023, 10:45 PM
CBA prohibits players from having guns at any team facility, including flights. He may have violated that.

The issue, however, is that the NBA thinks players brandishing guns is bad for its image. Morant, by posting this on Instagram, obviously thinks it’s good for his own image. They have very different ideas of what their brand should be. Lots of this has to do with racial stereotypes in my opinion.

3ba11
05-17-2023, 10:47 PM
Ja Morant represents Memphis and the NBA. The NBA doesn't like him dancing with a gun, and especially given he got in trouble with some things in the past.

It isn't illegal, he won't go to jail. But just because he didn't do anything illegal, doesn't mean the NBA would want that in their league. So, the league could suspend him or whatever. It could be part of his contract. Who knows. And if you ever had a job before, you know you can't do whatever you want on your day off. Legal or not. Every job is different tho. With the NBA, they don't want that in the league.

Tons of guys film themselves at the shooting range, or re-enacting civil wars, or dressing up in cowboy gear and having a gun in holster

Some guys film themselves shooting bud light packs.. Did Kid Rock lose any endorsements over that?

Again, why is it bad that Morant had a gun?

Goldrush25
05-17-2023, 10:50 PM

Charles Barkley pretty much went over this in pregame.

When you sign an NBA contract there's a lot of stuff they put into your deal that you can't do. You can't ski, skydive, ride motorcycles, a lot of crap that normal citizens can do, NBA athletes can't do. Also you can't brandish firearms. There's a morality clause that's kind of a catch-all as well, so they can decide whether a player's queestionale behavior is in breach of his contract.

Has nothing to do with legality. It's what the league says they can't do. When players sign their contract they consent to the NBA's rules. It's not really asking that much of Ja to sacrifice a few things to make $200m dollars.

But hey, we all know that there are probably more players that violate the terms of their contracts. How about not filming it? Is that too much to ask as well?

Micku
05-17-2023, 10:52 PM
Tons of guys film themselves at the shooting range, or re-enacting civil wars, or dressing up in cowboy gear and having a gun in holster

Some guys film themselves shooting bud light packs.. Did Kid Rock lose any endorsements over that?

Because they aren't playing in the nba. Every company is different. You can be a rapper and dance with your guns and get millions. You can be Ezra Miller and do some crazy shit and still won't get punished as much as you should. But with the NBA, they don't want that in their league. Simple as that.

If he doesn't like it and continues to do what he is doing, but still wants to play pro ball, he might have to find another league.

ShawkFactory
05-17-2023, 10:53 PM

Name am NBA player that has done this.

warriorfan
05-17-2023, 10:53 PM

I said this in another thread but in the nightclub he was technically committing a misdemeanor gun charge in TN by drinking while carrying. I’m not 100 percent but i’m pretty sure there is some sort of brandishing charge for taking the gun out in the club as well. They aren’t really that serious of charges but he was breaking some laws.

Kblaze8855
05-17-2023, 10:57 PM
Name am NBA player that has done this.

He has quite a lot of range footage and pics.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2305180828500379.jpeg

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2305180826460363.jpeg

Real Men Wear Green
05-17-2023, 10:58 PM

If you were a normal human being explaining why he is in trouble would be easy. He's generating bad press at a time when the nation is worked up over gun violence. But you're you and you just don't understand things.

warriorfan
05-17-2023, 11:03 PM
If you were a normal human being Ecolab why he is in trouble would be easy. He's generating bad press at a time when the nation is worked up over gun violence. But you're you and you just don't understand things.

lol. what a corny post

Goldrush25
05-17-2023, 11:04 PM

Probably helps that no one gives a shite about Chris Kaman.

k0kakw0rld
05-17-2023, 11:05 PM
He is an employee working for the NBA. The image of the league is on the line. What exactly don't you get?

AlternativeAcc.
05-17-2023, 11:08 PM

Nobody also gives a **** about people handling guns in respectable manners.

Going to the gun range and being a proud hunter of animals is fine.

Only a very desperate and/or stupid individual would compare that to Ja.

warriorfan
05-17-2023, 11:09 PM

There are some racial undertones in the whole situation but this is a big factor. Chris Kaman was never a face of the league like Ja is. And Kaman wasn’t breaking any laws. To be honest if Luka got caught on camera taking a pistol out in a club he would be looking at some suspension time as well.

Micku
05-17-2023, 11:10 PM

Exactly. You can show that you had guns. You can hunt. You go into the gun range. You can even show off your guns if done in a good manner.

But what Ja is doing isn't something that the NBA would like. Plus given the negative news surrounding him. It's not the gun itself that is the problem. It's the look. And the fact that he is one of the best players in the league.

AlternativeAcc.
05-17-2023, 11:15 PM
Exactly. You can show that you had guns. You can hunt. You go into the gun range. You can even show off your guns if done in a good manner.

But what Ja is doing isn't something that the NBA would like. Plus given the negative news surrounding him. It's not the gun itself that is the problem. It's the look. And the fact that he is one of the best players in the league.

Yeah even if you wanna pretend the first incident wasn't a big deal, the fact that he acknowledged he made a mistake and vowed to be better only to be doing the same exact things 2 months later shows a level of rebellion and idiocy that's worse than the act itself.

He doesn't care. Hard to fathom the mindset, but you are who you surround yourself with.

Goldrush25
05-17-2023, 11:25 PM
There are some racial undertones in the whole situation but this is a big factor. Chris Kaman was never a face of the league like Ja is. And Kaman wasn’t breaking any laws. To be honest if Luka got caught on camera taking a pistol out in a club he would be looking at some suspension time as well.

For all we know the league could've contacted Kaman and told him that handling firearms is in breach of contract, and he probably still did it but stopped putting it on his damn twitter for everyone to see. Really we wouldn't know anything if these people didn't put it out there for public consumption.

Real Men Wear Green
05-17-2023, 11:26 PM
lol. what a corny post

Sorry it lacked entertaining value. Give us a ring the next time you're smoking crack and I'll have it join you.

ShawkFactory
05-17-2023, 11:27 PM

Fair enough. Although as some have mentioned, Kaman didn’t have nearly the same level of profile as Ja.

This was also over 10 years ago and the gun conversation has ramped up pretty considerably since then. This probably would get a different reaction now.

warriorfan
05-17-2023, 11:28 PM
Sorry it lacked entertaining value. Give us a ring the next time you're smoking crack and I'll have it join you.

you’re fat and have a low iq

good luck with that

Real Men Wear Green
05-17-2023, 11:29 PM
you’re fat and have a low iq

good luck with that

Don't forget to report me to me.

jlip
05-17-2023, 11:30 PM

LeBron, Draymond, and Ray Allen have similar pics.

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5bb737bf2400003100987b7a.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_nou pscale&format=webp

https://assets3.cbsnewsstatic.com/hub/i/r/2018/07/13/50bfe9d1-b5f3-4aa5-bf7f-48dc442ecdc7/thumbnail/1200x630/ccb50b89e32994c786416f9f5adb3d18/draymond-green-rifle-pose.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKu9WtOVdtdmA7UJNT7Vl7PqwSc7t96 jSaF0icfWuJeXPHDwIxrM9hbKE1w85YB_dBW2M&usqp=CAU

AlternativeAcc.
05-17-2023, 11:30 PM
Fair enough. Although as some have mentioned, Kaman didn’t have nearly the same level of profile as Ja.

This was also over 10 years ago and the gun conversation has ramped up pretty considerably since then. This probably would get a different reaction now.

It has nothing to do with guns though. Or very little. It's the promotion of ghetto/thug behavior that you see in rap music that's the issue. The gun is only a problem in the context of how Ja is behaving. Everybody agrees that he has the right to own a gun.

There is no scenario where the league intervenes if Ja is shooting at the range and posting pics of animals. It's apples and oranges.

3ba11
05-18-2023, 12:16 AM
It has nothing to do with guns though. Or very little. It's the promotion of ghetto/thug behavior that you see in rap music that's the issue. The gun is only a problem in the context of how Ja is behaving. Everybody agrees that he has the right to own a gun.

There is no scenario where the league intervenes if Ja is shooting at the range and posting pics of animals. It's apples and oranges.

So looking like a rapper isn't allowed?

Certain "looks" aren't' allowed?

Racist bs.. saying someone looks like a "thug" is subjective and often racist.

3ba11
05-18-2023, 12:21 AM
If you were a normal human being explaining why he is in trouble would be easy. He's generating bad press at a time when the nation is worked up over gun violence. But you're you and you just don't understand things.

That's my point - why is it bad press for a black man to show a gun on camera?

They're trying to protect the 40-year old white lady that might buy season tickets for her family - my point is f*ck her and f*ck anyone that is scared of black people and looks down on the style or thinks Morant was acting like a "thug" - that's subjective opinion rooted in racism and a pre-disposed, negative view of blacks..

And the "gun violence" issue is geared at mass shooters like school shooters - no one ever gave a shit about blacks killing each other, so the gun violence argument doesn't really work here.

AlternativeAcc.
05-18-2023, 12:22 AM
So looking like a rapper isn't allowed?

Certain "looks" aren't' allowed?

Racist bs.. saying someone looks like a "thug" is subjective and often racist.

You deleted your other post about black people not being able to have guns.... lol, you got ethered by the pics posted above by jlip.

Ja looks like a thug and every black pundit agrees including other athletes. You're the racist.

3ba11
05-18-2023, 12:29 AM
Ja looks like a thug and every black pundit agrees including other athletes.

What makes Morant look more like a thug than Kaman?

And let's not bring the media into this - they're literally the dumbest people on the planet.. They just don't like cornrows or braids

AlternativeAcc.
05-18-2023, 12:37 AM
What makes Morant look more like a thug than Kaman?

And let's not bring the media into this - they're literally the dumbest people on the planet

His behavior.

Black people embraced thuggery and have promoted it in rap for decades... there are white thugs too, as well as Asian and Mexican.

Why promote a culture and cry about racism when people label you how black rappers label themselves? That's really cringey and low IQ

Crimsonrain777
05-18-2023, 01:22 AM

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5bb737bf2400003100987b7a.jpeg?ops=scalefit_720_nou pscale&format=webp

https://assets3.cbsnewsstatic.com/hub/i/r/2018/07/13/50bfe9d1-b5f3-4aa5-bf7f-48dc442ecdc7/thumbnail/1200x630/ccb50b89e32994c786416f9f5adb3d18/draymond-green-rifle-pose.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKu9WtOVdtdmA7UJNT7Vl7PqwSc7t96 jSaF0icfWuJeXPHDwIxrM9hbKE1w85YB_dBW2M&usqp=CAU

Are you trolling or are you an idiot?

Sorry i'm kinda OOTL

Phoenix
05-18-2023, 06:02 AM
You've probably never had a job - so it makes sense.

Disagree. He's clearly on ISH's payroll.

Real Men Wear Green
05-18-2023, 06:20 AM
That's my point - why is it bad press for a black man to show a gun on camera?

They're trying to protect the 40-year old white lady that might buy season tickets for her family - my point is f*ck her and f*ck anyone that is scared of black people and looks down on the style or thinks Morant was acting like a "thug" - that's subjective opinion rooted in racism and a pre-disposed, negative view of blacks..

And the "gun violence" issue is geared at mass shooters like school shooters - no one ever gave a shit about blacks killing each other, so the gun violence argument doesn't really work here.

And my point is that you require explanations for the obvious and then you reject the explanation.

PeroAntic
05-18-2023, 06:40 AM
come on 3ball, this should be easy for you. There is a photo of Lebron with a gun, and there isnt a photo of MJ with a gun. therefore guns are bad:no:

Full Court
05-18-2023, 06:50 AM
It's an agenda - there's a big push to stigmatize guns, and the NBA is shamelessly being a part of it.

As usual, 3ball is one of the smartest posters on this board.

HoopologyPhD
05-18-2023, 07:14 AM
Guns are bad in the hands of civilians, comrade. Only military and police officers should have them.

Wardell Curry
05-18-2023, 07:32 AM

And guess what? Nobody cared. These same pics could be released tomorrow and nobody would care. These could be videos and nobody would care.

The fact that context matters and this has to be explained is pretty sad to be honest.

The fact that there are certain black people in this thread pretending that what Ja Morant has been doing and how he has been acting is the same as these pictures is insane to me.

Ja Morant either wants to be a thug or he wants to project a thug image.

Wardell Curry
05-18-2023, 07:36 AM
His behavior.

That's exactly right.

90sgoat
05-18-2023, 08:37 AM
I'll try to be honest.

I'm a middle aged white guy. I don't think ghetto culture or rap is cool. I think it's a crap culture and I think it gives people a very wrong idea about how to have a good life.

I see all these spoiled white kids being really into gangsta rap, like feminist girls in college who love misogynist rap, then turn around and preach to the rest of us.

The thing is, middle class people who have a decent upbringing can just let go of this shit and understand that's it's just stupid entertainment, but kids from bad homes don't have anything else to contrast it with. And this ghetto shit will destroy your life if you actually try to live it.

That's why I understand why people get pissed about a rich athlete acting ghetto. It's just not cool, because it feeds into these poor kids from bad homes who think that acting ghetto will get you to be Ja Morant

Real Men Wear Green
05-18-2023, 08:42 AM
It's not just about being fair, although with the series of incidents Morant had been involved in (not just being filmed with a gun twice) punishment of some kind is warranted. It's about protecting the NBA as a brand. They don't want one of their superstars to be the poserboy (intentionally wrote it like that) for the young thug lifestyle. So if he wants the hundreds of millions of dollars then he's going to have to stop being an idiot. He had the chance to be a billionaire by the time he was forty, all he had to do is stop being involved in this dumb shit. If he refuses to stop acting like a fool then that's too bad but he has to deal with the consequences. He is not irreplaceable, a fact he should know because he himself is Nike's replacement for Kyrie Irving, who as far as we know never beat up a teenage kid.l

tpols
05-18-2023, 09:18 AM
You know the contextual difference between rednecks posting with hunting rifles and gangsters posing with handguns.

Rednecks aren't out here lighting each other up. Thugs are. Ja is basically promoting human murder of his own community with his posing which is ironic since he's one of the softest dudes in the NBA. Clearly overcompensating for it.

Ainosterhaspie
05-18-2023, 01:12 PM
Dude should start doing gun safety and responsible ownership PSAs

bdonovan
05-18-2023, 01:45 PM

Exactly. If all you're doing is showing that you actually use firearms to kill living beings, then it's acceptable. Meanwhile, if you never fire the gun or kill anything, it's a different matter altogether and requires a lengthy suspension.

Could it be that hunting is normalized in our society by white Americans (who make up the owner class, NBA administration, and core fan base); and not thought of as some sick, sadistic activity done by psychopaths who enjoy killing for fun -- which it could just as easily be framed as (at least by non-whites where hunting is less popular).

Ainosterhaspie
05-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Exactly. If all you're doing is showing that you actually use firearms to kill living beings, then it's acceptable. Meanwhile, if you never fire the gun or kill anything, it's a different matter altogether and requires a lengthy suspension.

Could it be that hunting is normalized in our society by white Americans (who make up the owner class, NBA administration, and core fan base); and not thought of as some sick, sadistic activity done by psychopaths who enjoy killing for fun -- which it could just as easily be framed as (at least by non-whites where hunting is less popular).

Hunting is common with almost all races and cultures. It certainly isn't a whites only thing. It is also a useful and in some places necessary activity. A good example is feral hog populations that can be dangerous and also cause major ecological damage.

Goldrush25
05-18-2023, 02:13 PM
It's an agenda - there's a big push to stigmatize guns, and the NBA is shamelessly being a part of it.

As usual, 3ball is one of the smartest posters on this board.

There are always agendas behind any company's culture.

The primary agenda for most corporations is making money. From a purely financial standpoint there is no incentive for the NBA to promote players with guns. Advertisers don't want to be anywhere near that in these times.

If anyone can point out an financial upside to allowing Ja to run around flashing guns I'd love to hear it. How does the NBA monetize that?

3ba11
05-18-2023, 02:21 PM
Whites have cultures like cowboy, motorcycle, hunting and more that glorify and brandish guns, but blacks aren't allowed to like guns.. Maybe if you've kissed enough ass, but no one with black hair styles (cornrow, dreds, braids, etc) is allowed or they'll lose their career like Morant

Goldrush25
05-18-2023, 02:35 PM
Whites have cultures like cowboy, motorcycle, hunting
and more that glorify and brandish guns, but blacks aren't allowed to like guns.. Maybe if you've kissed enough ass but no one with black hair styles (cornrow, dress, braids, etc) is allowed or they'll lose their career like Morant

It's not just guns. NBA players are prohibited from engaging in dangerous, high-risk activities like skiing, motorcycle riding, sky diving. Small price to pay for being able to make generational money.

Ja is not entitled to play in the NBA. It's a privilege. Everyone that has a career is beholden to specific restrictions within that career, it's part of being an adult. The league is the one issuing the checks, they don't have to bend to anyone's choices that don't benefit the NBA's bottom line.

3ba11
05-18-2023, 03:01 PM
It's not just guns. NBA players are prohibited from engaging in dangerous, high-risk activities like skiing, motorcycle riding, sky diving. Small price to pay for being able to make generational money.

Ja is not entitled to play in the NBA. It's a privilege. Everyone that has a career is beholden to specific restrictions within that career, it's part of being an adult. The league is the one issuing the checks, they don't have to bend to anyone's choices that don't benefit the NBA's bottom line.

This thread has shown pictures of guys like Chris Kaman, Lebron and Draymond brandishing guns.. Why weren't they punished and chastised like Morant is?

It's because Morant hasn't become white or corporate enough, so his culture is perceived as "thuggish" and "gangster", which are racial stereotypes.. Morant isn't a criminal - there's no reason to chastise him for brandishing a gun anymore than Kaman or Draymond were chastised and punished.

So the NBA doesn't care if you brandish a gun because Lebron and Draymond did it - they just don't want the NBA being perceived as having too much hip-hop culture

The preferential treatment extends beyond the gun issue, aka why can't high school kids jump to the NBA? Baseball players, golfers and tennis players can win the French Open at 17 years old.. So it's a racial thing that goes far beyond the gun issue

Goldrush25
05-18-2023, 03:36 PM
This thread has shown pictures of guys like Chris Kaman, Lebron and Draymond brandishing guns.. Why weren't they punished and chastised like Morant is?

It's because Morant hasn't become white or corporate enough, so his culture is perceived as "thuggish" and "gangster", which are racial stereotypes.. Morant isn't a criminal - there's no reason to chastise him for brandishing a gun anymore than Kaman or Draymond were chastised and punished.

So the NBA doesn't care if you brandish a gun because Lebron and Draymond did it - they just don't want the NBA being perceived as having too much hip-hop culture

The preferential treatment extends beyond the gun issue, aka why can't high school kids jump to the NBA? Baseball players, golfers and tennis players can win the French Open at 17 years old.. So it's a racial thing that goes far beyond the gun issue

Perhaps you're right. The question I have is, so what if that is their preference?

Their decisions are based on what is in the best interest of maximizing their bottom line. What is the financial payoff to allow Ja to do whatever he pleases with respect to guns in clubs and his IG Live videos? In the business world decisions are pretty much binary. Is this in the best interest of business or not? If it is not, what is the point of allowing it?

To me it seems like your ire is misplaced. The NBA has masters, and those masters are advertisers and the media companies that distribute their products. Those advertisers and media companies have masters too called consumers. The opinions of those entities matter too, so maybe take it up with Disney, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, Verizon, etc that they don't want their businesses associated with a certain perception.

Perception is everything in business. If the perception of your product isn't well received, then that costs you money. The NBA is in the basketball business, not the hip-hop video business. Their goal is to put on the best product that they can on TV. I think your argument is that it's unfair that the perception of Ja is what it is, but it's not the NBA's job or obligation to change the perception of hip-hop culture.

How does the off-court attention that Ja has recently generated serve that goal of maximizing financial revenue? If Ja wants to make rap videos he should do that. I think the NBA is perfectly within its rights to determine what they will and won't allow on their dime.

PeroAntic
05-18-2023, 03:49 PM
Whites have cultures like cowboy, motorcycle, hunting and more that glorify and brandish guns, but blacks aren't allowed to like guns.. Maybe if you've kissed enough ass, but no one with black hair styles (cornrow, dreds, braids, etc) is allowed or they'll lose their career like Morant

oh stfu. the kid is a complete moron, the fact that so are white rednecks/hunters/whatever doesn't make him any less of a moron.

3ba11
05-18-2023, 03:51 PM
Perhaps you're right. The question I have is, so what if that is their preference?

Their decisions are based on what is in the best interest of maximizing their bottom line. What is the financial payoff to allow Ja to do whatever he pleases with respect to guns in clubs and his IG Live videos? In the business world decisions are pretty much binary. Is this in the best interest of business or not? If it is not, what is the point of allowing it?

To me it seems like your ire is misplaced. The NBA has masters, and those masters are advertisers and the media companies that distribute their products. Those advertisers and media companies have masters too called consumers. The opinions of those entities matter too, so maybe take it up with Disney, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, Verizon, etc that they don't want their businesses associated with a certain perception.

Perception is everything in business. If the perception of your product isn't well received, then that costs you money. The NBA is in the basketball business, not the hip-hop video business. Their goal is putting on the best product that they can on TV.

How does the off-court attention that Ja has recently generated serve that goal? If Ja wants to make rap videos he should do that. I think the NBA is perfectly within its rights to determine what they will and won't allow on their dime.

Great products sell themselves and the NBA makes tons of money regardless of what they do like when they turned people off with the woke bubble stuff - the NBA didn't care that they might lose money - it was about principle and they still made tons of money.

A tiny proportion of people saw Morant's IG live and the only reason everyone knows about it is because the NBA decided to punish him and bring attention to it.

And this idea that it's all about "perception" - well then people should change their racist perception.. i.e. unlike the cowboy, motorcyle, gun range or hunting cultures that are allowed to brag and brandish guns, guys like Morant aren't allowed to enjoy their culture of saggy pants and the occasional cool pose with a gun and sunglasses because people have a racist perception of it.. So it all comes back to the racial issue.

Goldrush25
05-18-2023, 04:25 PM
Great products sell themselves and the NBA makes tons of money regardless of what they do like when they turned people off with the woke bubble stuff - the NBA didn't care that they might lose money - it was about principle and they still made tons of money.

A tiny proportion of people saw Morant's IG live and the only reason everyone knows about it is because the NBA decided to punish him and bring attention to it.

And this idea that it's all about "perception" - well then people should change their racist perception.. i.e. unlike the cowboy, motorcyle, gun range or hunting cultures that are allowed to brag and brandish guns, guys like Morant aren't allowed to enjoy their culture of saggy pants and the occasional cool pose with a gun and sunglasses because people have a racist perception of it.. So it all comes back to the racial issue.

A great product sells itself to an extent but that only gets you to a limited demographic that is devoted to that product. To extend beyond that you have to appeal to other demographics. If you want to promote your product to the highest number of people and have a global product, then you have to make a product that is palatable to a wider range of people. A lot of the people that said they stopped watching the NBA during that 2020 period were not in the NBA's most profitable demographic in the first place. They know exactly who watches and spends the most on their product, and they can see which way the culture tide is headed. And athletes toting guns is not a part of the tide. With all of these shootings in the news you honestly think the NBA wants anything to do with guns at all? Makes no sense for them to go against the tide for no reason. Perhaps if people that like Ja's antics spent more money on the product things would be different.

You can call it racist if you want but there are a lot of minorities that don't want to be associated with that culture either, myself included.

Perception isn't anything that people think about consciously. Making quick judgments about people is hard-wired into us as humans, for survival. That's never going to change. In prehistoric times we had to be able to make quick judgments about our surroundings or a sabertooth tiger would kill us. If I see someone with low-hanging pants and a blue bandana on, I'm going to have a gut perception of that person. I'm not going to assume he's a hedge fund manager. I think a lot of other black people are going to have that same perception of that guy. I don't know how realistic it is for people's perceptions to just magically change all of a sudden when we still have people today that reinforce that perception.

You ever see that Dave Chappelle bit about the woman wearing tight clothes at the club that says that just because I wear this doesn't mean I'm a hooker. Dave says that's true, but you're wearing a hooker's uniform. I'm paraphrasing but that's the premise of the joke. So yeah Ja isn't a criminal for showing up in videos flashing guns, but that's a criminal's uniform, isn't it? You're complaining about realities that aren't going to change any time soon, and they certainly are not limited to white people making judgments about black people.

Norcaliblunt
05-18-2023, 09:49 PM
2nd amendment all the way.

Gun control is racist. Think about it.