PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' LeBron James: 'I'm Still Better Than 90%' of NBA Ahead of Retirement Decision

IMObjective
05-24-2023, 01:55 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076986-lakers-lebron-james-im-still-better-than-90-of-nba-ahead-of-retirement-decision

"James told ESPN's Dave McMenamin he believes he's "still better than 90 percent of the NBA" and "maybe 95." The 19-time All-Star averaged 28.9 points, 8.3 rebounds and 6.8 assists during the regular season. He also made at least half of his shots for the seventh time in eight years."

Lebron, humble as always. The math said this would make him top 22 or 23, so technically true?

Edit:

Honestly, I don't think he really worked out the math (22 or 23 if you go by 95%), I think what he meant to say was he's still top 15, maybe top 10.

Baller789
05-24-2023, 01:56 AM
Its true.

Doesnt make him less overrated though.

warriorfan
05-24-2023, 01:57 AM
James also promised 7+ chips in Miami too

iamgine
05-24-2023, 02:58 AM
Well yeah 90% of the NBA is ~40 players. 95% is ~20 players.

His statement seems accurate. I have him at around #10-#13 range best player this season.

3ba11
05-24-2023, 03:03 AM
I have him at around #10-#13 range best player this season.

That's accurate right now, but by November, several guys will get much better this offseason, while Lebron will be a little worse.

So he won't be top 15 next year (which is the year to compare him to 38-39 year-old Jordan from 02') and he certainly won't be at 20 ppg by the time he's 40... :rolleyes:

GimmeThat
05-24-2023, 03:17 AM
what the restaurant told the buffet

Spurs m8
05-24-2023, 04:05 AM
He still doesn't see how he's a literal net negative AND team cancer

bdonovan
05-24-2023, 04:10 AM
That's the right time to go out. When you're at the top.

No offense to Kobe fans and this is not meant to create a Kobe vs. LeBron feud, but as a Kobe fan myself, seeing him play his last season was appalling.

Not only did he not have it, he insisted on high volume shooting and became a bricklayer. It was embarrassing. It inspired those on his team, young followers of his, to adopt bad practices they had to unlearn.

In Kobe's last season 2015-6, he had a FG% of 35.8% ! (the year before it was 37.3%). Kobe was 36 and 37 years old those years. He had a 3 Pt% of 28.5 - and made 7.1 3 pt attempts per game.

If you look at league stats, Kobe had the worst Fg% in the league
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_totals.html#totals_stats::fg_pct

The league average was 45% (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html).

Kobe also had the worst 3 Pt% that year:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_totals.html#totals_stats::fg3_pct

Despite being the worst shooter in the league, Kobe was #15 overall in 3 point attempts (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_totals.html#totals_stats::fg3_pct).

Every player has to know the right time for them to exit the stage. LeBron had a higher pts/game total and efg% than his career average (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html).

There's no formula when to leave. Sometimes guys just want to play and it's their right. But personally if you've already had a long, storied career, why not end it on a high note?

ImKobe
05-24-2023, 05:06 AM
So even Bran knows he's not a top 20 player anymore. Stans can STFU now about him being better or as good as AD.

ILLsmak
05-24-2023, 05:17 AM
Yea I know that's not really how it works, but I was doing this kinda stuff in school with standardized test scores. It's like... ok even 99.9 (that's as far as it went?) there are x amount of people in this town HMM. In the world HMM. 90% is not really that good for NBA. 450 (approx players) is a wonderful /9 number.

So he's more or less saying he's still top 50. PROL TRUE. But as the game gets deeper into the playoffs, there are gonna be more of those dudes who are, you know, BETTER. You don't have to be the best to win, big logical fail there, and Bron can get wins and fit prol. The main issue is can he A. stay healthy (even guys like Bron these late years are killing the rest of his 'normal life' by breaking down his body) and B. can he outplay those 'better players' with experience, guile etc. Again, you do not have to be better to win. Beating 'better' people is something that comes with experience.

Passing off when you have Jokic at the top tho... put your shoes in your locker and leave them.

-Smak

Full Court
05-24-2023, 06:56 AM
:roll: Delusional. Just like his fluffers.

Dead weight. Thinking he's still the best is why he keeps making his teams lose games.

90sgoat
05-24-2023, 07:39 AM
That's the right time to go out. When you're at the top.

Not really.

Stockton, Malone, Kareem, Duncan, their career rep didn't take a hit by keeping going until they were role players.

Duncan quit when he became a bench player due to injuries. I guess most older superstars would not want to sit on the bench in the regular season, but other than that, as long as you're a starter, no one blames Kareem for finishing with 10ppg at age 41 or Malone for averaging 13ppg in his last season.

It does show that once you get down to lower tier role player numbers like that, maybe it's time to hang it up.

For Lebron, he surely isn't close to that. He can definitely get 20+ the next season and probably next season as well.

If I was Lebron, I'd go to stay until 40. That would put him in the Karl Malone category of longevity and above Duncan. Would help his rep imo.

HoopologyPhD
05-24-2023, 08:00 AM
LeBarry Sanders 'bout to go out on top and refuse to entertain people that don't appreciate his talents and spend the rest of his life sipping wine with Savannah and watching Bronny, Brice and co win rings

:cheers::applause::pimp::bowdown:

Real Men Wear Green
05-24-2023, 10:03 AM
That's actually a realistic assessment of where he ranks. If he is coming back next year with the goal of winning a championship they need to focus on depth maybe more than getting a third star because he and Davis are going to miss a lot of games for either rest or injury.

90sgoat
05-24-2023, 10:05 AM
That's actually a realistic assessment of where he ranks. If he is coming back next year with the goal of winning a championship they need to focus on depth maybe more than getting a third star because he and Davis are going to miss a lot of games for either rest or injury.

Honestly Lebron should go to Mavs.

He'd be great running the second line.

Real Men Wear Green
05-24-2023, 10:12 AM
Honestly Lebron should go to Mavs.

He'd be great running the second line.

He's under contract. But even if he was a free agent playing off the ball in Doncic offense isn't good for him in any way either winning games or getting numbers. There's no appeal for him to leave Lakers to go there and the Lakers would have to want someone in that team badly enough to trade the biggest star in the game. Only player they have of that stature is Doncic. So not happening.

90sgoat
05-24-2023, 10:38 AM
He's under contract. But even if he was a free agent playing off the ball in Doncic offense isn't good for him in any way either winning games or getting numbers. There's no appeal for him to leave Lakers to go there and the Lakers would have to want someone in that team badly enough to trade the biggest star in the game. Only player they have of that stature is Doncic. So not happening.

Lebron has praised Luka, which is usually a sign he wants to sign you for his agency.

As Lebron enters retirement, it would make a lot of sense to sign Luka, who will be the next "Lebron" for the next 15 years, he could do that by going there and playing, even if it meant taking a lesser role.

Lebron23
05-24-2023, 10:43 AM
Lebron has praised Luka, which is usually a sign he wants to sign you for his agency.

As Lebron enters retirement, it would make a lot of sense to sign Luka, who will be the next "Lebron" for the next 15 years, he could do that by going there and playing, even if it meant taking a lesser role.

Luka is going to be done in his late 20's and early 30's. That guy loves eating American food

Real Men Wear Green
05-24-2023, 10:49 AM

James has praised a lot of players. He can't play with all of them. Doncic is not going to sign with James sports agency just because James came to his team. And you haven't addressed the fact that the Mavericks don't have an asset other than Doncic to offer the Lakers or the fact that James would have no shot at a championship playing on a team that was him Doncic and a bunch of G League talent. I can't imagine what Dallas would look like after this trade they can't even make but it would not be a good team.

90sgoat
05-24-2023, 11:08 AM
James has praised a lot of players. He can't play with all of them. Doncic is not going to sign with James sports agency just because James came to his team. And you haven't addressed the fact that the Mavericks don't have an asset other than Doncic to offer the Lakers or the fact that James would have no shot at a championship playing on a team that was him Doncic and a bunch of G League talent. I can't imagine what Dallas would look like after this trade they can't even make but it would not be a good team.

Mavs have the 10th pick, THJ and Bertans.

Would depend on if Lakers blow it up obviously.

Real Men Wear Green
05-24-2023, 11:13 AM
Mavs have the 10th pick, THJ and Bertans.

Would depend on if Lakers blow it up obviously.

Utah got 5 picks for Rudy Gobert. You're nuts if you think that's enough.

Full Court
05-24-2023, 07:48 PM
If the Lakers used Lebron as a sixth man, used him as an offensive weapon, played him for about 20 minutes per game, and had him show up and just drive to the hoop until he gets tired, they'd be a serious contender.

Between the Lakers brass and Darvin Ham, they're too scared to bench him.

plowking
05-24-2023, 07:59 PM
It is an interesting take to hear from someone who has been the consensus best, and arguable GOAT to some.

Is it a good/realistic approach as an athlete to have this mindset? Maybe temper yourself in your play, and only step up when needed. Or does thinking you're not the best as someone who has been for so long hinder him, hence the retirement talks?
I think on any given day he has proved he can still be the best player on the court - but that isn't what makes an athlete great. It is the repetitive success.

Still - given where he is at - he is still a 20/10 PF in this league, and valuable to any team as long as he plays the way he did in the post season this year. Less on the ball. I actually think the Lakers looked quite good, but just got beat by a better team in Denver. They don't have enough creators out there, as Bron and Reaves are the only ones that can make their own shot. Add another one like Kyrie, and Bron can rest more and coast.

I think Bron surprised a lot of people with his defense this post season. When he locks in and plays hard - he can still be a beast. Mainly down low and not chasing guards/forwards on the outside.

Full Court
05-24-2023, 09:39 PM
It is an interesting take to hear from someone who has been the consensus best, and arguable GOAT to some.

Is it a good/realistic approach as an athlete to have this mindset? Maybe temper yourself in your play, and only step up when needed. Or does thinking you're not the best as someone who has been for so long hinder him, hence the retirement talks?
I think on any given day he has proved he can still be the best player on the court - but that isn't what makes an athlete great. It is the repetitive success.

Still - given where he is at - he is still a 20/10 PF in this league, and valuable to any team as long as he plays the way he did in the post season this year. Less on the ball. I actually think the Lakers looked quite good, but just got beat by a better team in Denver. They don't have enough creators out there, as Bron and Reaves are the only ones that can make their own shot. Add another one like Kyrie, and Bron can rest more and coast.

I think Bron surprised a lot of people with his defense this post season. When he locks in and plays hard - he can still be a beast. Mainly down low and not chasing guards/forwards on the outside.

He definitely put more effort into defense than he did the entire regular season. The problem is it wore him out, and he was all but useless in 4th quarters. Hence why he should be a sixth man playing 20ish minutes. He could actually be a net positive in then.

Lebron23
05-24-2023, 10:48 PM
If the Lakers used Lebron as a sixth man, used him as an offensive weapon, played him for about 20 minutes per game, and had him show up and just drive to the hoop until he gets tired, they'd be a serious contender.

Between the Lakers brass and Darvin Ham, they're too scared to bench him.

You are an idiot who never play organize ball. I hope someone put a bullet in your head Mr Tolosa.

Lebron23
05-24-2023, 10:51 PM
https://scontent.fmnl8-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/52120188_10158781639188868_1365387210253139968_n.j pg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=SN8JMEKxnagAX8CLdee&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl8-2.fna&oh=00_AfC-QoJ6DICYKY9My8EnE7rEkjMmWWx4A0VLYJcwe2frUg&oe=64963366

https://scontent.fmnl8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/20451935_10156903721913868_8891990451558209161_o.j pg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=19026a&_nc_ohc=kEwXbh2jM-kAX8_majx&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl8-1.fna&oh=00_AfD_g9sDokqLACT3_fKDAW5aLCwUkyum-1YvriQR6VGV2w&oe=6496379E

https://scontent.fmnl8-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/538715_10150932403953868_1573636614_n.jpg?_nc_cat= 103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=19026a&_nc_ohc=Sl-wTvQbL9kAX_Xetya&_nc_oc=AQmSzfb5LSo3ZUJfghfmsbCvbIGKWnGS6Pf8gS6lxs_ eRL-y2X_d0XX3hZjhJtBriPE&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl8-2.fna&oh=00_AfDcRKtB9HahCpc9wgpjX4ETPxzW5IpsFoSw9UosDpJm pA&oe=649638B4

Spurs m8
05-24-2023, 10:59 PM
If they want the best out of him and the best for the team, DO NOT PLAY HIM IN THE 4th

plowking
05-24-2023, 11:01 PM
If they want the best out of him and the best for the team, DO NOT PLAY HIM IN THE 4th

Why not just have a level headed view on things and not play dumb?

He is a top 10-20 player in the league still.

Keno
05-24-2023, 11:21 PM
lebron being generous af, more like 99% of the NBA

Baller789
05-25-2023, 12:33 AM
LbJ should not play more than 30 mins. A game.

warriorfan
05-25-2023, 12:37 AM
LbJ should not play more than 30 mins. A game.

let him play all out for 2 or 3 quarters and after he has his stats and no motivation left, pull him before he does his classic LBJ 4th quarter performance

ImKobe
05-25-2023, 12:45 AM
Utah got 5 picks for Rudy Gobert. You're nuts if you think that's enough.

Let's be real, no team with young players is going to give up multiple 1sts to get Lebron in year 21. At best he has 2 years of similar level play left in him so trading picks down the line in 2027 or w.e would be a bad deal unless they're heavily protected. Gobert might be a worse player but at least he's in his prime and he gives the Wolves a 3-4 year window to make some noise in the Playoffs with Ant Man.

I do wonder if the Warriors would give up Wiggins + Klay for Lebron & Mo Bamba (I think that could work salary-wise next year, maybe Lakers need to add 1 more role guy w.e). I think that could make sense for both teams if Lakers are thinking a bit more long-term as they have about 4 years left here to be a contender with AD, and I think Klay would love to be a Laker if he had to leave GS, and the fit makes sense for both teams imo.

Lebron23
05-25-2023, 04:03 AM
let him play all out for 2 or 3 quarters and after he has his stats and no motivation left, pull him before he does his classic LBJ 4th quarter performance

Lebron has more finals mvp, regular season mvp, and scored more points than Curry in the 4th quarter little man.

Baller789
05-25-2023, 04:07 AM
Lebron has more finals mvp, regular season mvp, and scored more points than Curry in the 4th quarter little man.

So?

Real Men Wear Green
05-25-2023, 07:17 AM
Let's be real, no team with young players is going to give up multiple 1sts to get Lebron in year 21. At best he has 2 years of similar level play left in him so trading picks down the line in 2027 or w.e would be a bad deal unless they're heavily protected. Gobert might be a worse player but at least he's in his prime and he gives the Wolves a 3-4 year window to make some noise in the Playoffs with Ant Man.

I do wonder if the Warriors would give up Wiggins + Klay for Lebron & Mo Bamba (I think that could work salary-wise next year, maybe Lakers need to add 1 more role guy w.e). I think that could make sense for both teams if Lakers are thinking a bit more long-term as they have about 4 years left here to be a contender with AD, and I think Klay would love to be a Laker if he had to leave GS, and the fit makes sense for both teams imo.

You say let's be real and then completely ignore the fact that James made AllNBA and is still the most popular player in the league? Not in the mood for your crap this morning.

ImKobe
05-25-2023, 07:39 AM
You say let's be real and then completely ignore the fact that James made AllNBA and is still the most popular player in the league? Not in the mood for your crap this morning.

It's not about what he did this season, it's about how much he has left to give.

John8204
05-25-2023, 08:34 AM
James also promised 7+ chips in Miami too

Lebron for Lowry and Duncan Robinson makes a lot of sense

C - Davis
SG - Reeves
PG - Lowry
PF - Hachimura
SF - Robinson

AD gets his act together or you swap him out for Luka or Embiid when that contract is up with a championship level supporting cast around them.

CountDracula
05-25-2023, 08:38 AM
https://i.ibb.co/7bBYWt3/082-EC23-F-83-CB-4458-87-D9-95-D0-BFFDA760.jpg (https://ibb.co/hCr7WFG)

https://i.ibb.co/zQbPBhG/6218-DD7-F-6-C4-E-41-B0-928-E-70-E151841363.jpg (https://ibb.co/BcjTQVq)

https://i.ibb.co/hRX44DD/4-DBB09-FC-7-A8-E-4-BA2-B4-C4-CE312-AA218-DC.jpg (https://ibb.co/mCv2266)

https://i.ibb.co/JQ8cj54/66333-CCC-61-DD-41-FC-BF02-22-C1-A6262-B5-D.jpg (https://ibb.co/16B0G85)

Axe
05-25-2023, 08:48 AM
Lebron for Lowry and Duncan Robinson makes a lot of sense

C - Davis
SG - Reeves
PG - Lowry
PF - Hachimura
SF - Robinson

AD gets his act together or you swap him out for Luka or Embiid when that contract is up with a championship level supporting cast around them.
Lmao go tell that to codename 'EIP'. :oldlol:

red1
05-25-2023, 09:20 AM
of course.

he's the GOAT.

Real Men Wear Green
05-25-2023, 12:58 PM
It's not about what he did this season, it's about how much he has left to give.

He can still make a team more money than any other player and is still one of the best players at his position so quite a bit.