PDA

View Full Version : Luka Doncic won't win an nba championship with that kind of mentality

Lebron23
05-24-2023, 10:40 AM
He is a ball dominant player who reminded me of a white James Harden

He was a lazy defender this season. 3 years ago when he was in his sophomore season he showed some improvement in his defense.

He fired his coach Rick Carlisle who is a good defensive coach

He needs to play off the ball if he his pair with another all stars

I don't think he is going to play in the NBA in his early 30's. he said he wants to retire and live in a farm for the rest of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t24h8Eh5K6Y

JohnMax
05-24-2023, 10:55 AM
Luka, 24 years old, is too young to win a championship. Dirk was 32 when he won and Jokic is currently 28 years old.

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2023, 10:57 AM
what mentality?

90sgoat
05-24-2023, 11:07 AM
He must be watching these playoffs with Jokic and Butler about to be in the finals and understanding it could have been him if he hadn't driven everyone out of the club.

Mask the Embiid
05-24-2023, 06:32 PM
Yeah harden and Luka are pretty much the same player now with harden losing a step due to age. Only difference is Luka has a much higher iq than harden. They are complete idiots who will never win though as the guy. I wouldn’t want either one of them tho. Give me a Brunson over either of them anyday

Lebron23
05-24-2023, 06:41 PM
what mentality?

He needs to get in shape in the off season. And stop eating American food. It's probably the reason he is a lazy defender because of his additional weight.

plowking
05-24-2023, 06:53 PM
Not really a fan of Luka's game, as it falls in the Harden overdribble spec. Only difference is Luka is more resilient, hence more consistent in the playoffs, by playing bully ball and not forcing outside shots when its not going.

I remember people on here talking about Luka as a top 5 player and clearly better than Jokic, and as someone from that part of the world with no bias, it was blatantly obvious to me that Jokic was far ahead of Luka even when the stats weren't there. NBA just loves to hype up the smaller and more relatable guards though.

Dbrog
05-24-2023, 07:09 PM
Eh...reminds me more of Prime Melo. Elite scorer with great post up game and isn't afraid of the clutch. He's a better passer than Melo but has to find a way to bring it together in a more teamlike way which gets everyone involved, something Melo always suffered from (which is why his best team had Billups)

AlternativeAcc.
05-24-2023, 07:09 PM
Luka has already proven more in the playoffs than Harden though. And he's bigger and more dynamic. Can score without ref baiting or spamming 3s.

Similar game but Luka has a dominant mind and competitive rage. Harden is an aloof spaced out beta.

highwhey
05-24-2023, 07:45 PM
he has the bitch mindset of whining to the refs on every play. he's entitled.

ImKobe
05-25-2023, 01:27 AM
I think he looked better on defense for most of this season. We had him as a legitimate MVP candidate for a while before the Mavs fell apart towards the end. Once he played hurt post-ASB he was clearly limited physically and couldn't be as effective on both sides of the court.

His constant whining is something that he needs to eradicate from his game but overall he's much better than prime James Harden ever was because his game & his production translates better to the Playoffs than perhaps anyone's besides Jokic from what we've seen these past 3 years.

Soundwave
05-25-2023, 01:33 AM
I think he has more fire in his personality than Harden does though, that's a pretty big difference. He wants to win and wants the ball in big time situations and often does come up big. Harden looks like he wants to turn into a ghost in big playoff games.

So I do think he can win one, they have to get a better team around him though.

bdonovan
05-25-2023, 02:37 AM
Look at how Brunson has been on the Knicks. He has always that player, even when he was with Dallas. The problem is Luka's style lowers the other players instead of uplifts them.

He is too ball dominant, doesn't create enough. The game is similar to Harden in the sense that he will draw defenders and then kick out to the 3 point line, at best- that is his idea of sharing the ball.

But you don't see creating offense like let's say Jokic and Murray 2-man game, where they cleverly play off each other, or Curry and Draymond, give and go. These are team offense schemes where you make each other better. Have not seen that from him. His offensive game is pretty much an island. (yes, he has assists, that comes from ball dominance; I'm talking about something else)

Axe
05-25-2023, 03:24 AM
I think he looked better on defense for most of this season. We had him as a legitimate MVP candidate for a while before the Mavs fell apart towards the end. Once he played hurt post-ASB he was clearly limited physically and couldn't be as effective on both sides of the court.

His constant whining is something that he needs to eradicate from his game but overall he's much better than prime James Harden ever was because his game & his production translates better to the Playoffs than perhaps anyone's besides Jokic from what we've seen these past 3 years.
So you are realizing joker's greatness now. About damn time. :applause:

JohnMax
05-25-2023, 03:57 AM
Luka has more of a Jordan mentality where he wants all the shots and glory. Jokic has Lebron mentality where he wants to set up teammates or let elite scorers do their thing without interfering.

GimmeThat
05-25-2023, 03:59 AM
he's pretty much Paul Pierce with better efficiency. As for the Melo comparison, Luke doesn't have the type of angled shots that Melo has, but that doesn't really matter since both aren't considered to be TO prone.

in all reality, Luke is being compared with Brandon Ingram here, with Luka being better in the post and Ingram really having the potential to be stronger.

GimmeThat
05-25-2023, 04:01 AM
what mentality?

you know, please give a rats ass about the casual internet trolls.

Lebron23
05-26-2023, 11:46 PM
Look at how Brunson has been on the Knicks. He has always that player, even when he was with Dallas. The problem is Luka's style lowers the other players instead of uplifts them.

He is too ball dominant, doesn't create enough. The game is similar to Harden in the sense that he will draw defenders and then kick out to the 3 point line, at best- that is his idea of sharing the ball.

But you don't see creating offense like let's say Jokic and Murray 2-man game, where they cleverly play off each other, or Curry and Draymond, give and go. These are team offense schemes where you make each other better. Have not seen that from him. His offensive game is pretty much an island. (yes, he has assists, that comes from ball dominance; I'm talking about something else)

This

ILLsmak
05-27-2023, 08:59 AM
Yeah harden and Luka are pretty much the same player now with harden losing a step due to age. Only difference is Luka has a much higher iq than harden. They are complete idiots who will never win though as the guy. I wouldn’t want either one of them tho. Give me a Brunson over either of them anyday

You really believe that? Even people’s path to “greatness” affects their growth. Luka is prol overrated like everyone else. I was gonna say this in the winner thread. Some people have to learn how to win. Imo luka has potential, but he hasn’t faced enough strife. They ask Horry how he can take shots with no conscience and he’s like it’s basketball, u ain’t lived my life. If luka started off behind kd and wb he’d be wildly different.

I mean people need to learn to shut up basically. Ppl can’t find many Mj emo moments cuz he didn’t get in his feelings in public. Let it all out in hof speech haha. Nah but it damages legacy and probably even puts unnecessary pressure on self to tell people how you feel after you failed. Haha trust me, I just go with it. There are people like Charles or whatever who just are real and keep talking and it works out (kinda? No ring.) Mostly tho I dono if our society is as much “more emo” as it is just people being too accessible or making late nite social media posts.

Like I said once you’ve done it enough, you just own it and end up better off, but it’s definitely an unneeded set back.

-Smak

ImKobe
05-27-2023, 09:06 AM
Luka has more of a Jordan mentality where he wants all the shots and glory. Jokic has Lebron mentality where he wants to set up teammates or let elite scorers do their thing without interfering.

Luka is playing with garbage in Dallas. He was an unselfish player when he had a good team in Europe.

Jokic is a lot like Lebron in terms of caring about his stats and padding them at times, but people don't really want to talk about it.

90sgoat
05-27-2023, 11:29 AM
Luka is playing with garbage in Dallas. He was an unselfish player when he had a good team in Europe.

When he was 19 and around grown up alphas with a hardcore coach you mean?

He doesn't play unselfish on the national team anymore, maybe why they lost.

ImKobe
05-27-2023, 11:31 AM
When he was 19 and around grown up alphas with a hardcore coach you mean?

He doesn't play unselfish on the national team anymore, maybe why they lost.

Dragic isn't that guy anymore, sadly. They were a fun duo to watch in the Euros.

90sgoat
05-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Dragic isn't that guy anymore, sadly. They were a fun duo to watch in the Euros.

I legit believe that it was Luka that didn't want Dragic as a free agent to Mavs. Luka doesn't want to share the spotlight with anyone.

ILLsmak
05-27-2023, 03:33 PM
Put ur name down if u think luka ends his career without a ring. I don’t really like him and the nba is trash, but narrative IS A FACTOR. Nba on an international tip atm.

-Smak

FultzNationRISE
05-31-2024, 01:51 AM

Agreed, JohnMax

I prefer the Jokic/Lebron mentality as a general rule, but when a guy is a one in a billion scorer you cant really fault him for wanting to put that talent to work. There's exceptions to every rule.

elementally morale
05-31-2024, 04:16 AM
LeBron and Jokic are not alike. LeBron doesn't really want the responsibility but wants the spotlight. He was the self-proclaimed Choesen1 very early in life and it got worse. It doesn't make him a bad player. But not really Jokic-like either. Luka and Jordan have more in common, but MJ had a lot more seriousness. Luka wants to win and have fun. Jordan didn't seem to have fun most of the time. He was happy is he proved something on the court. But the joy of playing basketball... well.. MJ was not like that.