PDA

View Full Version : The coaching musical chairs begins.

Kblaze8855
05-24-2023, 01:55 PM
The Phoenix Suns (https://theathletic.com/nba/team/suns/) have narrowed down their list of head-coaching candidates to five names, league sources told The Athletic on Tuesday. Here’s what you need to know:Former 76ers (https://theathletic.com/nba/team/sixers/) coach Doc Rivers, former Raptors (https://theathletic.com/nba/team/raptors/) coach Nick Nurse, former Lakers (https://theathletic.com/nba/team/lakers/)coach Frank Vogel, Kings (https://theathletic.com/nba/team/sac-kings/) assistant Jordi Fernandez and Suns assistant Kevin Young are the finalists for the role, the sources said.
They are set to meet with Phoenix owner Mat Ishbia, president James Jones and other team officials in Michigan later this week, sources said.

Nurse and Vogel are also listed as finalists for the Bucks.

All of these fired coaches will be pissing of a new fan base shortly.

Wardell Curry
05-24-2023, 01:56 PM
And a lot of them will be getting fired in a few short years again.

SouBeachTalents
05-24-2023, 01:58 PM
Why would anyone honestly hire Doc at this point :lol You have a long enough track to see what you're going to get with him at the helm, talented teams that typically can't get out of the 2nd round.

Kblaze8855
05-24-2023, 02:00 PM
I’m thinking Doc to the Suns(Rip angry suns fans), Nurse to the Bucks, and Monty to Toronto. One of the assistants gets Philly as they try someone young(But not JJ).

FultzNationRISE
05-24-2023, 02:01 PM
Why would anyone honestly hire Doc at this point :lol You have a long enough track to see what you're going to get with him at the helm, talented teams that typically can't get out of the 2nd round.

Well I think if youre Chris Paul and Kevin Durant, Doc just has that “certain something” some of the other candidates dont have.

So if they have any input on the matter I expect Doc to be the coach. Unless one of those other lesser known candidates also has a “certain something.”

Tbh the Phoenix job is lame as hell anyway. Coaching underachieving divas? No thanks.

theballerFKA Ace

I think most LA fans sympathized with Vogel. Some wanted him fired. Between the injures and Pelinka's crazy tampering with the roster, he was in an impossible situation

Vogel and Booker might clash though. Booker wants a coach to whisper sweet nothings into his ear, not help push the team to greatness

Kblaze8855

I heard a former exec say he’s one of the best people to talk to and interviews incredibly well. Owners love Doc and that’s the whole ballgame unless you have a strong president like a Riley who really calls the shots.

GimmeThat
05-24-2023, 02:07 PM
apparently over 60 years of basketball, no one was able to write a book that talked about basketball.

dazzer87
05-24-2023, 02:18 PM
Doc please……

BarberSchool
05-24-2023, 03:22 PM
I’m thinking Doc to the Suns(Rip angry suns fans), Nurse to the Bucks, and Monty to Toronto. One of the assistants gets Philly as they try someone young(But not JJ).

Exactly the musical chair rotation i think will happen.

Mat Ishbia finna be too scared to hire a head coach that isn’t black, and “how that would look” from a merchandise marketing perspective. Will Doc be able to get Ayton not to be a pu$$y ?

Nurse makes perfect sense for the bucks.

Monty will return to coaching a team with a lot of athletic versatile defenders like pre-Durant PHX.

If Bud went to Philly it would be the cherry on top of musical chairs…

BarberSchool
05-24-2023, 03:26 PM
I heard a former exec say he’s one of the best people to talk to and interviews incredibly well. Owners love Doc and that’s the whole ballgame unless you have a strong president like a Riley who really calls the shots.
Doc has a way with people, and has a great reassuring fatherly presence in interviews I’m sure. This also comforts detached out of the loop owners, who live to sign problematic, dynamic, electric talent …. Doc’s normally been great with “difficult talent”, for the aforementioned reasons, until recently.

I feel like Thibbs should call Doc every new contract, and half-jokingly ask for a little bonus tho. (Thibbs was the creator of the big 3 Celtics championship defense, among other #1 defenses in houston, chicago, etc)

HoopologyPhD
05-24-2023, 03:48 PM
I'd hire Larry Brown just to screw with the players and let them know who writes the checks while they get paid to wear street clothes and tweet

90sgoat
05-24-2023, 07:08 PM

Nick Nurse should be the most in demand. I'd like Mavs to get him.

Frank Vogel might be a good fit with Bucks.

highwhey
05-24-2023, 07:28 PM
Exactly the musical chair rotation i think will happen.

Mat Ishbia finna be too scared to hire a head coach that isn’t black, and “how that would look” from a merchandise marketing perspective. Will Doc be able to get Ayton not to be a pu$$y ?

Nurse makes perfect sense for the bucks.

Monty will return to coaching a team with a lot of athletic versatile defenders like pre-Durant PHX.

If Bud went to Philly it would be the cherry on top of musical chairs…

its funny bc you know nothing about ishbia and here you are accusing him of being prejudice...all the while you're the one being prejudice :oldlol:

all these fools are meeting james jones in phoenix for an interview...except for one candidate, kevin young who is being flown out to michigan to meet Ishbia in person for the interview. bill simmons is already saying kevin young is the next coach. and he's white. and booker is backing kevin young. but nice way to be prejudice.

highwhey
05-24-2023, 07:30 PM
anyways, there's all sorts of different reports...

Phoenix has yet to reach final stage of interviewing candidates for its head coaching vacancy and are expected to meet with Milwaukee associate head coach Charles Lee and Golden State assistant Kenny Atkinson, sources tell
@NBAonTNT
@BleacherReport

highwhey
05-24-2023, 07:32 PM
OP's report says they're meeting in michigan but only kevin young is meeting ishbia in michigan, seems like everyone else is meeting in phoenix...
\

[Gambo] The Phoenix Suns will interview Sacramento Kings assistant coach Jordi Fernandez tomorrow in Phoenix.

james jones just fed a load of bs to people he didn't trust and sounds like it's working