PDA

View Full Version : How long until we get another Shaq-like player?

Im Still Ballin
05-25-2023, 05:45 PM
Sometime in the next 10 years? 20? How long until we see another athletic 7ft+, 300+ pounder in the form of Wilt and Shaq? There was a little over two decades between Chamberlain retiring and O'Neal entering the league. Just how rare are these types? Do you think we'll get another anytime soon?

I really just want to see a dominant low-post player who gets 20+ post touches per game. The closest to that number in recent years was Al Jefferson in 2014 - 19.6 post touches per game. Z-Bo was around 17.5 that same season. Embiid's highest mark is 13.8; Jokic's is 10.

GimmeThat
05-25-2023, 06:10 PM
I don't think we'll be getting another Shaq-like player anytime soon, if anything, I see the average height going up. But then again, the possibility also exist in which we make the basket even higher to stimulate our mind and exercise to grow even taller. which sure, another few decades?

as far as low post player goes, once modern diet had moved out the concept of being a meat head, I highly doubt you'll be seeing those 20+ post touches since bigs rarely if ever ran the break in the 90s.

Phoenix
05-25-2023, 06:14 PM
The way the NBA game is now, you won't see another Shaq, at least in terms of playstyle. If you mean you'll see another player with similar physical gifts? Possibly, but he'll be taught to shoot 25 footers.

tpols
05-25-2023, 06:23 PM
Probably never.

There's never been a 7foot+ 350 lb guy who can move like Shaq did. Tall big guys are typically slow. Shaq had overwhelming athleticism.

GimmeThat
05-25-2023, 06:27 PM
Probably never.

There's never been a 7foot+ 350 lb guy who can move like Shaq did. Tall big guys are typically slow. Shaq had overwhelming athleticism.

Shaq's body frame was also built for the length of the basketball court. Had Shaq participated in other sports or track & fields, I'm unaware if he would have turned out the way he did.

tpols
05-25-2023, 06:35 PM
Shaq's body frame was also built for the length of the basketball court. Had Shaq participated in other sports or track & fields, I'm unaware if he would have turned out the way he did.

He could've been a hell of a heavy weight boxer. MMA wouldn't work as well since opponents would spam leg kicks and take downs, but imagine guys like George Foreman and Lennox Lewis looking like midgets next to Shaq. If he trained it, he'd be the GOAT.