PDA

View Full Version : So the nba wants to try issuing in game techs for flopping.

Kblaze8855
05-25-2023, 06:45 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2305260414270379.jpeg

Kblaze8855
05-25-2023, 06:46 PM
The number of technical foul suspensions would be amazing if they stuck to it….which they wouldn’t.

Full Court
05-25-2023, 06:49 PM
I'm 100% on board with this. The question will be if the refs actually enforce it. The way things are going right now, they'd be calling 50+ technical fouls per game. Which is exactly what they should be doing. This is the single thing that is ruining the sport.

tpols
05-25-2023, 06:52 PM
Good.

Stop all this nonsense of Embiid, AD, lebron and others falling to the ground on every drive.

Of course it will only be selectively enforced.

Wardell Curry
05-25-2023, 06:53 PM
In game technical fouls probably aren't enough. The officials get deceived at a far higher rate than they swallow the whistle currently. There would have to be retroactive technicals after the games so that the 16 technical suspension mark starts getting hit way faster. This will never fly. It's just wishing into the air. They will do nothing. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

GimmeThat
05-25-2023, 06:57 PM
might as well say, teams each send one representative to call controversial replay fouls beyond the fouls that aren't called by players themselves

Full Court
05-25-2023, 06:58 PM
In game technical fouls probably aren't enough. The officials get deceived at a far higher rate than they swallow the whistle currently. There would have to be retroactive technicals after the games so that the 16 technical suspension mark starts getting hit way faster. This will never fly. It's just wishing into the air. They will do nothing. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with this too.

Full Court
05-25-2023, 06:59 PM
Good.

Stop all this nonsense of Embiid, AD, lebron and others falling to the ground on every drive.

Of course it will only be selectively enforced.

It's not just on drives, it's all throughout the game. Perimeter defense, rebounds, off ball, offense and defense - it's out of control.

Kblaze8855
05-25-2023, 07:00 PM
I suppose it would have to be limited to super egregious things. If they called it on every falling down drive, fall on a 3 pointer closeout, and fall to emphasize the contact on a charge you’d literally have half the all star teams suspended by December. Guys fall on purpose on like half their threes. Fall on any contact on a drive. You would literally be issuing hundreds of techs.

GimmeThat
05-25-2023, 07:05 PM
so that's how Bill Russell beat Wilt I see

warriorfan
05-25-2023, 07:06 PM
I don’t like it. It won’t be enforced equally and give refs even more control of the game.

tontoz
05-25-2023, 07:13 PM
We've already established that the refs can't spot flops so how are they going to give technicals for them?

PeroAntic
05-25-2023, 07:14 PM

This. Just do post match video reviews and hand out fines and suspensions. During the game it would be really a nightmare for the refs and audiences, unless the sanctions are massive so it works as a deterrent.

FultzNationRISE
05-25-2023, 07:17 PM
I believe the most recent world cup was the first where they began using video replay to assess yellow cards for blatant flops, and it made a significant difference in reducing the amount of dives guys were taking.

You wont really stop people exaggerating contact bc its too gray to judge, but it should heavily deter people from outright fabricating it.

If more guys had the kind of pride LeIntegrity does it wouldnt be an issue. But they dont.

1987_Lakers
05-25-2023, 07:29 PM
They should revisit their review rules. Similar to NFL, challenges could come from upstairs under 2:00 min of the game.

Real Men Wear Green
05-25-2023, 07:34 PM
We've already established that the refs can't spot flops so how are they going to give technicals for them?
Have someone in an office that reviews the plays throughout a game and calls in the techs. It's doable. I am not sure it well improve things overall but it's worth trying.

Kblaze8855
05-25-2023, 07:45 PM
They should track it and announce the league leaders at the end of the year with the awards.

ArbitraryWater
05-25-2023, 08:06 PM
I don’t like it. It won’t be enforced equally and give refs even more control of the game.

basically this.

theyre never gonna be honest with this.

at the same time they will have to make the distinction between flops and exaggerated contact on what would still be a foul..

dont see that going over well.

KD and others rip their head back and flail on many drives.

are we gonna call this?

John8204
05-25-2023, 08:06 PM
It shouldn't be an ingame thing...rather see officials judge it post game and deliver suspensions for repeat offenders that escalate as the season goes on.

Even better don't start the suspensions until the playoffs

Baller789
05-25-2023, 08:13 PM
The NBA couldnt even call travels properly.

fourkicks44
05-25-2023, 08:14 PM
It's going to be trialed in Summer Leauge?

I can't imagine there will be much going on there.

Has anyone in the Leage office ever watched a Summer League game? It just a bunch of kids jacking up as many shots as the can.

That being said, the one and only kid that does flop will have the cold hand of the officials making an example of him.

Spurs m8
05-25-2023, 08:18 PM
They've been doing it over here and it's worked well...flopping is the weakest shit

FireDavidKahn
05-25-2023, 08:30 PM
It's a nice gesture but in reality this isn't going to do a thing and the stars will still get all the calls.

Full Court
05-25-2023, 10:37 PM
Lebron, Trae Young, Austin Reaves, Marcus Smart, and James Harden might sit out half the year on suspensions. :lol

fourkicks44
05-25-2023, 10:46 PM
The NBA couldnt even call travels properly.

I would love to see an NBA game played with college rules.

Would be a joy to watch and would separate the real men from the boys.

elementally morale
05-25-2023, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't give a technical.

But a foul on the flopping player, two FT shots and the ball sounds right.

Hey Yo
05-25-2023, 11:54 PM

Without reviewing them first, I would think there'd be a lot of wrong calls on either side.

elementally morale
05-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Without reviewing them first, I would think there'd be a lot of wrong calls on either side.

True, but it may not be important if they get it right or wrong every time. The sheer possibility that you CAN get a foul call via flopping would on its own chang ethe landscape soon enough, I think.

Hey Yo
05-26-2023, 12:05 AM
True, but it may not be important if they get it right or wrong every time. The sheer possibility that you CAN get a foul call via flopping would on its own chang ethe landscape soon enough, I think.

I see your point.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
05-26-2023, 12:06 AM
Treat it as a flagrant foul, if they werent touched but over exaggerate like Razor Ramon getting hit by a stunner from Stone Cold. Give techs to obvious flops but not borderline ones(can be tricky). Besides flops, they need to hand out techs more like a few years back. This post season, every foul call against the opposibg team, the constant complaining is wayyyyyyyy to much.

fourkicks44
05-26-2023, 12:16 AM
Treat it as a flagrant foul, if they werent touched but over exaggerate like Razor Ramon getting hit by a stunner from Stone Cold. Give techs to obvious flops but not borderline ones(can be tricky). Besides flops, they need to hand out techs more like a few years back. This post season, every foul call against the opposibg team, the constant complaining is wayyyyyyyy to much.

The last thing the game needs is more flagrant fouls.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
05-26-2023, 12:23 AM
The last thing the game needs is more flagrant fouls.

This is not the WNBA, put on them big boy shorts or go be a pro golfer.

fourkicks44
05-26-2023, 12:55 AM
This is not the WNBA, put on them big boy shorts or go be a pro golfer.

What I mean was they call too many now.

They don't need any reason to call more and review more shit that is trivial.

The are too scared to review out of bounds calls now because of that Suns game a few years ago, but fill the game with with unnecessary flagrant reviews.

Calling flops like they call flagrants would make it worse.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
05-26-2023, 01:29 AM
What I mean was they call too many now.

They don't need any reason to call more and review more shit that is trivial.

The are too scared to review out of bounds calls now because of that Suns game a few years ago, but fill the game with with unnecessary flagrant reviews.

Calling flops like they call flagrants would make it worse.

Maybe the tech is better, after a certain amount of flop techs, additional fines and suspensions on top of the current rule.

ImKobe
05-26-2023, 01:59 AM
In-game techs are fine for obvious cases, but I'd also like to see fines and suspensions given to serial floppers, and they need to shame them on the official NBA Twitter etc.

bdonovan
05-26-2023, 02:03 AM
Fans will lose their minds. Especially when flops are called on their favorite player.

People want to believe flops are all done by players they hate.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
05-26-2023, 02:23 AM
Imagine Shaq, Charles Oakley, Zach Randolph, playing in this era? They'll be borrowing money just to pay for fines lol. This current era soft, soft like Charmin. One small bump in the post, flailing 15 feet backwards, lying on the ground, acting like they got hit by a 'diesel truck'.