PDA

View Full Version : Someone with that stature and confidence being almost totally forgotten is sad.

Kblaze8855
05-26-2023, 01:30 PM
Dr. Jack Ramsay, the only Ph.D. in the National Basketball Association and not a man to offer an opinion lightly, says that by the time Bob McAdoo is through he will be the greatest player in history.
McAdoo goes Ramsay one better. "That would be a nice goal," he says, "but it doesn't matter what any coaches or writers or any damn-body else thinks except me." Pause. "I think I'm the greatest already."

Fitting so much ego into a world where almost nobody cares you existed and the only connection you can make to younger fans is clips like this:

https://youtu.be/oP0K461vkiM

They don’t even watch?

Tough.

Those old guys go from the biggest deal to total nobodies in the general public. He was obviously humbled because you hear him talk in his coaching days he’s just quiet and respectful. Was still beating Heat players in shooting contests a few years ago.

Still must be odd. Some can’t let it go and become nobodies. Shaq obviously will never let the game/fame go. But people like Duncan seem to just disappear in a puff of smoke and not care if you ever see them again.

I feel like even as vocal as he is on social media we may almost never see KD again talking in public once he’s gone. Leonard I’m sure will never be on camera again. Lebron isn’t letting go though. He will be in espn specials and on MNF as a guest in studio and on Saturday night live. Most guys probably don’t mind fading away from public eye but going from “This may be the goat” mvp to 40 years of behind the scenes obscurity?

Might not be possible these days with everything being in high quality online but as I said….Duncan is pulling it off.

Which major players from our league can you see your children not even recognizing in the nba at 100 special?

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 01:36 PM
not many people can complain about the dictator GimmeThat offering casual fridays to his Earth Army.

you manage to pull it off

L.Kizzle
05-26-2023, 01:36 PM
Kareem kind of went away, but in the past few seasons (pre LeBron breaking his record) he's been out.
Hakeem is virtually gone.
We live in a social media era, and the names that you mentioned KD and Leonard will fade away.
I also seeing a guy like Russell Westbrook fading away as well.

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2023, 01:48 PM
Very few players stand the test of time. Jordan will always be known and recognized, ditto LeBron, Kobe, Magic & Bird, Shaq too until he retires from public view. And the likes of Russell, Wilt & Kareem will always be famous in the realm of basketball, though it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of modern fans wouldn't be able to recognize them if you showed them their picture.

In terms of true ATG talent from this era, it wouldn't surprise me if in 25 years kids couldn't recognize Jokic, Kawhi, Wade, AD etc. Curry has the best shot of standing the test of time, and KD has a chance.

1987_Lakers
05-26-2023, 01:50 PM
Sad thing is McAdoo was forgotten by the 90s. Wasn’t even selected top 50.

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2023, 01:52 PM
That's crazy :oldlol:

ralph_i_el
05-26-2023, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw Bob McAdoo driving around Northern VA a few months back. Either that, or a 6'9" McAdoo superfan in a clean Cadillac with a UNC bumpersticker and a vanity plate that was some variation of "McAdoo"

edit: Now that I think about it, it may have been James Michael McAdoo's dad

HoopologyPhD
05-26-2023, 01:57 PM
$$$ also a factor, probably quite a few ex-ballers just want to go away but have to sell their remaining dignity for cash ala Joe Louis

StrongLurk
05-26-2023, 02:00 PM
Very few players stand the test of time. Jordan will always be known and recognized, ditto LeBron, Kobe, Magic & Bird, Shaq too until he retires from public view. And the likes of Russell, Wilt & Kareem will always be famous in the realm of basketball, though it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of modern fans wouldn't be able to recognize them if you showed them their picture.

In terms of true ATG talent from this era, it wouldn't surprise me if in 25 years kids couldn't recognize Jokic, Kawhi, Wade, AD etc. Curry has the best shot of standing the test of time, and KD has a chance.

Ehhh, there is just so much footage easily accessible now and players are way more engrained into casual sports culture nowadays. Idk about AD or Kawhi, but people will know Curry, KD, Wade, and Jokic for sure if he wins a ring.

Kblaze8855
05-26-2023, 02:02 PM

Lots of people weren’t happy about that.

https://youtu.be/sGx5P02PVe4

enjoy Reggie and Shaq trying to get Isiah to admit he wants to remove Pippen for Mcadoo.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw Bob McAdoo driving around Northern VA a few months back. Either that, or a 6'9" McAdoo superfan in a clean Cadillac with a UNC bumpersticker and a vanity plate that was some variation of "McAdoo"

edit: Now that I think about it, it may have been James Michael McAdoo's dad

your mind got past clean Cadillac and UNC bumpersticker? damn. I suppose the 6'9" part stands out, but then, I don't go driving around the ghetto

L.Kizzle
05-26-2023, 02:04 PM
McAdoo was more known than Paul Arizin in the 90s. He was still playing pro overseas in the early 90s. He was easily the biggest 50 player snub not Dominique W.

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2023, 02:06 PM
Ehhh, there is just so much footage easily accessible now and players are way more engrained into casual sports culture nowadays. Idk about AD or Kawhi, but people will know Curry, KD, Wade, and Jokic for sure if he wins a ring.
I feel like Jokic will go the way of Duncan where 25 years from now he'll be known, but I can't imagine he's going to be a widely recognized player. Like Duncan he's not even popular now while dominating the league :lol

And I just don't think Wade did quite enough to truly stand the test of time. He'll always have '06, and being apart of those Big 3 Heat teams will help, but will he be widely recognized among the general basketball population in 2050? It's iffy imo. I'm quite confident he'll be outside the top 30 in all time rankings by that point, if not lower.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Is McAdoo a good player comparison for Embiid?

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 02:41 PM
Is McAdoo a good player comparison for Embiid?

what McAdoo is to AD, is what Moses Malone is to Embiid.

as for the McAdoo and Malone comparison, the former has the ability to play the 4, while the latter sticks at the 5

Kblaze8855
05-26-2023, 02:43 PM
It’s actually not a bad comparison. Mcadoo led the league in scoring 3-4 years in a row and won mvp but was injury prone. Ended up coming off the bench for the Lakers while still pretty young. He led 2-3 Showtime teams in playoff scoring per36. Just come in and light you up for 15-20 minutes.

tpols
05-26-2023, 02:45 PM
I feel like Jokic will go the way of Duncan where 25 years from now he'll be known, but I can't imagine he's going to be a widely recognized player. Like Duncan he's not even popular now while dominating the league :lol

And I just don't think Wade did quite enough to truly stand the test of time. He'll always have '06, and being apart of those Big 3 Heat teams will help, but will he be widely recognized among the general basketball population in 2050? It's iffy imo. I'm quite confident he'll be outside the top 30 in all time rankings by that point, if not lower.

At the end of the day, they'll all be forgotten. Father time is undefeated.

Kblaze8855
05-26-2023, 02:46 PM
Had his outside game/soft style questioned much like Embiid too even though he developed it to prove he wasn’t just an athlete “goon”

As he tells the story, Bob was a tall, thin youngster hanging around the playgrounds in his hometown of Greensboro, North Carolina, at the age of 10. He was much bigger than the other boys around him, and he was the object of repeated and vicious taunts from the smaller ones. “When we played basketball, I would eat those guys up,” he recalls. “Wham! All I had to do was go under the basket and slam the ball in. But the other guys used to say I couldn’t play ball. They said I was a big goon. They said that if I was their size, they’d beat me. They said a big man couldn’t shoot from outside. So, I said to myself, ‘Why can’t a big man shoot from outside, same as a little guy?’ So, I started practicing my outside shooting every day for as long as I could.

“After a while,” Bob continues, “I would go down to the playgrounds and beat the other guys from the outside. I wouldn’t even go under the basket, even when I had a chance. I’d say, ‘See, if I were your size, I’d shoot your pants off.’ It wasn’t that I needed to shoot, but it was a matter of pride. I wasn’t gonna have anybody say I was just a big goon. I was given my height by nature, and I’m not ashamed of it. I wanted to show I could beat other guys in basketball in all phases of the game, even those areas where small guys generally do better than big guys.”

Small guys and big guys alike throughout the NBA marvel at Mac’s shooting range and consistency with his jump shot. Unlike many centers, he eschews the use of the hook shot. “I don’t need it,” he says without false modesty. Rivals agree that Bob is doing fine just the way he is. “I’ve never seen a better outside threat,” says Boston’s John Havlicek.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Had his outside game/soft style questioned much like Embiid too even though he developed it to prove he wasn’t just an athlete “goon”

at this point, for big guys to be able to hit those outside shots while remaining strong, is just a matter of being able to score off the spin

Kblaze8855
05-26-2023, 03:03 PM
At the end of the day, they'll all be forgotten. Father time is undefeated.

Well yea eventually. But Id say Ruth, Ali, and Jordan all have 100 year staying power.

L.Kizzle
05-26-2023, 03:06 PM
Well yea eventually. But Id say Ruth, Ali, and Jordan all have 100 year staying power.

Babe Ruth is kinda dying down. I mean, mention Babe Ruth and they'll tell you to bring them a few.

Full Court
05-26-2023, 03:09 PM
not many people can complain about the dictator GimmeThat offering casual fridays to his Earth Army.

you manage to pull it off

Today's Thursday, homie.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2023, 03:11 PM
Jump-shooting and playmaking bigs in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. The whole "evolution of the game" really is just circumstances changing due to rule changes. Not a whole lot different in the ability of the talent when it comes down to it. Just what they choose to prioritize practicing given the current state of the game.

Dbrog
05-26-2023, 03:23 PM
I mean, most younger fans don't really know who Ewing or Robinson were...hell I've ran into a bunch who don't really know anything about Iverson. It's crazy to have lived through such a huge cultural/media shift which Iverson brought almost completely by himself and think that no one even knows who he is now :lol

Even someone like TMac no one mentions at all despite most of us agreeing he was at least near or above Kobe's level at the time. As you mentioned KBlaze, once KG isn't on TV anymore I truly doubt the average or new fan would think anything about him...which is pretty funny to the rest of us.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 03:37 PM
I mean, most younger fans don't really know who Ewing or Robinson were...hell I've ran into a bunch who don't really know anything about Iverson. It's crazy to have lived through such a huge cultural/media shift which Iverson brought almost completely by himself and think that no one even knows who he is now :lol

Even someone like TMac no one mentions at all despite most of us agreeing he was at least near or above Kobe's level at the time. As you mentioned KBlaze, once KG isn't on TV anymore I truly doubt the average or new fan would think anything about him...which is pretty funny to the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtMR524m0BM