PDA

View Full Version : A male basketball league with max height of 6'3" would make more money than the WNBA

Atlantis
05-29-2023, 02:03 AM
Between the vast disparity in revenues between the WNBA and the NBA in American basketball is...right now, nothing.

A male American basketball league with max height of 6'3" would work because size is relative. If a 5'8" guy is playing against a 5'11" guy and both are great athletes, that's a fun game to watch.

Watching average height, extreme athleticism guys play basketball would be more entertaining than watching the WNBA.
So these players could earn middle class, maybe low six figure salaries on average.

Basketball hasn't reached peak saturation.

It's like with music. Yeah, there are rockstars and rappers who make hundreds of millions but there's also your average bands that make significantly more money than the average person but not a huge amount.

The biggest barrier to this concept is people not taking it seriously. It will always be compared to the NBA.

But the essential point is this - watching athletically gifted, talented shorter men play basketball against each other is fun to watch if you like basketball. And since there are 100x more guys between 5'7" and 6'3" who have elite athleticism and basketball IQ than there are men over 6'3" tall, there could be a league with literally hundreds of teams, and one in every city with a population of over 100,000. With all of these players making middle class salaries.

GimmeThat
05-29-2023, 02:11 AM
the beef goes down easier

iamgine
05-29-2023, 04:58 AM
Right now there's:

National leagues

NBA G League
ABA – American Basketball Association
ECBL – East Coast Basketball League
FBA – Florida Basketball Association
MBL – Maximum Basketball League
SBL - Southern Basketball League
NABL – North American Basketball League
NNBA – New Nation Basketball Association
PBL – Premier Basketball League
TBL – The Basketball League
UBA – Universal Basketball Association
UBL – United Basketball League

College and university basketball

ACCA – Association of Christian College Athletics
Bible College NIT
CCCAA – California Community College Athletic Association
NAIA Division I – NAIA Men's Division I Basketball Championship
NAIA Division II – NAIA Men's Division II Basketball Championship
NCAA Division I – NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship
NCAA Division II – NCAA Men's Division II Basketball Championship
NCAA Division III – NCAA Men's Division III Basketball Championship
NCCAA – List of NCCAA men's basketball champions
NIT – National Invitation Tournament
NJCAA Division I – NJCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship
NJCAA Division II – NJCAA Men's Division II Basketball Championship
NJCAA Division III – NJCAA Men's Division III Basketball Championship
NWAC – Northwest Athletic Conference
USCAA – United States Collegiate Athletic Association

Youth leagues

AAU – Amateur Athletic Union
USSSA – United States Specialty Sports Association

90sgoat
05-29-2023, 05:36 AM
It already exists as the Philipino Basketball League

Ass Dan
05-29-2023, 07:00 AM
PBA has one. Lebron23 played in it

Baller789
05-29-2023, 07:05 AM
I wonder how those PBA scrubs would fare against the WNBA players.

bdonovan
05-29-2023, 07:54 AM
The 6'3" league would need build-up; creation of personalities and rivalries. They need to hype the games just like the UFC does so that the game is personal.

Otherwise people have limited time and prefer to watch the best. (NCAA is different and relates to alma matter loyalties and those people sucking others in.)

The NBA is "above that" (and so are most professional sports leagues)- but this kind of alternative setup shouldn't aim to be as stodgy and boring.

The WNBA has little going for it. They lack the athleticism. In women's tennis, they have the attraction factor working for them. In the WNBA not so much; and their personalties are masculine as well- another turn off. Tennis is a different game and has an elegance to it that a woman's beauty syncs well with.

It's amazing how much money Adam Silver has wasted promoting the WNBA. Those are 30-second ad spots that could go to paying advertisers but insists on trying to push this product no one wants. Overall Silver has not measured up to the business smarts that David Stern had. End of the day, you cannot market your way to selling a product with no demand.

GimmeThat
05-29-2023, 07:59 AM
was it the clown in you that made you go watch the clown?

BarberSchool
05-29-2023, 08:24 AM
The WNBA has little going for it. They lack the athleticism. In women's tennis, they have the attraction factor working for them. In the WNBA not so much; and their personalties are masculine as well- another turn off. Tennis is a different game and has an elegance to it that a woman's beauty syncs well with.

It's amazing how much money Adam Silver has wasted promoting the WNBA. Those are 30-second ad spots that could go to paying advertisers but insists on trying to push this product no one wants. Overall Silver has not measured up to the business smarts that David Stern had. End of the day, you cannot market your way to selling a product with no demand.This.

AF

Xiao Yao You
05-29-2023, 09:05 AM
They did start a 6'4" and under league in the 80's. I think this talks about it if you get the Times. https://www.nytimes.com/1987/12/09/sports/basketball-league-on-a-small-scale.html

Dec 9, 1987 Three teams have nicknames - the Los Angeles Jaguars, the Vancouver Night Hawks and the Fresno Flames. Other teams are Las Vegas, Calgary, Ohio (games played in Youngstown), Chicago, Orange County...

Jasper
05-29-2023, 07:07 PM
Between the vast disparity in revenues between the WNBA and the NBA in American basketball is...right now, nothing.

A male American basketball league with max height of 6'3" would work because size is relative. If a 5'8" guy is playing against a 5'11" guy and both are great athletes, that's a fun game to watch.

Watching average height, extreme athleticism guys play basketball would be more entertaining than watching the WNBA.
So these players could earn middle class, maybe low six figure salaries on average.

Basketball hasn't reached peak saturation.

It's like with music. Yeah, there are rockstars and rappers who make hundreds of millions but there's also your average bands that make significantly more money than the average person but not a huge amount.

The biggest barrier to this concept is people not taking it seriously. It will always be compared to the NBA.

But the essential point is this - watching athletically gifted, talented shorter men play basketball against each other is fun to watch if you like basketball. And since there are 100x more guys between 5'7" and 6'3" who have elite athleticism and basketball IQ than there are men over 6'3" tall, there could be a league with literally hundreds of teams, and one in every city with a population of over 100,000. With all of these players making middle class salaries.

I stated this for years... but the weekend viewer may have trouble with it ,, compared to us die hard bballers.

I think that is why 3ball league was created

j3lademaster
05-29-2023, 08:29 PM
I wonder how those PBA scrubs would fare against the WNBA players.PBA scrubs would kill them, wtf?

j3lademaster
05-29-2023, 09:00 PM
Isn't the WNBA losing $10 mil a year? Your kid's lemonade stand is making more than they are.

ErhnamDjinn
05-29-2023, 09:46 PM

you do know that the pba is has a bunch of half filipinos that avg over 6"5. the majority of pba players are over 6ft.

hateraid
05-29-2023, 09:49 PM

Now I know you're not that educated on basketball. A Filipino college team would destroy an all star WNBA team. Be real my guy

HighFlyer23
05-29-2023, 11:19 PM
Most sports fans are still men … men are only interested in watching females play sports if they are attractive …. The wnba has the ugliest women I’ve seen

Women don’t seem to care much about sports … hence the failure of the wnba …. Along with the presentation of their league

breanna stewart got these boys shook

bison
05-29-2023, 11:50 PM
Why do you dudes care so much how much money the WNBA makes or doesn’t make? Are you personally funding the league? No? Then stfu.

Baller789
05-30-2023, 10:10 AM
Now I know you're not that educated on basketball. A Filipino college team would destroy an all star WNBA team. Be real my guy

This is based on?

BarberSchool
05-30-2023, 10:43 AM
A female basketball league with a minimum dime score rating of 7.7 :banana:

All the entrance judges gotta be ex-nba dudes who have at least 300+ dimes under their belt…

ralph_i_el
05-30-2023, 11:19 AM
We need a baseball-style minor league farm system with A-AAA level basketball imo.

hateraid
05-30-2023, 12:05 PM
This is based on?

Reality

HoopologyPhD
05-30-2023, 12:46 PM
Decent concept, I will perfect it.
5"3' max height, midget basketball, the losing team has to take a ride of shame atop a large dog after the game.

ErhnamDjinn
05-30-2023, 01:03 PM
This is based on?

the Philippine team composed of mostly college guys only lost by a couple of points to Seebia in the last fiba qualifier, so I think they should do fine against a wnba team

https://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/serbia/2020/game/3006/Serbia-Philippines#|tab=boxscore

nineiron
05-30-2023, 02:02 PM
PBA has one. Lebron23 played in it

Lebron23 is lucky there's no minimum height

Baller789
05-30-2023, 07:02 PM
Reality

Reality or your opinion?

Baller789
05-30-2023, 07:04 PM
the Philippine team composed of mostly college guys only lost by a couple of points to Seebia in the last fiba qualifier, so I think they should do fine against a wnba team

https://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/serbia/2020/game/3006/Serbia-Philippines#|tab=boxscore

We're talking about club teams. Not national teams. Was there a precedent of these scrubs playing against WNBA teams?

j3lademaster
05-30-2023, 07:34 PM
We're talking about club teams. Not national teams. Was there a precedent of these scrubs playing against WNBA teams?A club soccer team of 15 year old boys beat the Australian women's soccer team 7-0. Just look up powerlifting records for both men and women and you will see the actual numerical gap between male and female athletics. We're not talking about a pretty decently put-together pick-up team, we're talking about pro clubs of the PBA- who are still professionals and paid to train for a living. Barring Lebron coming out as transgender, a team of women is going to get killed.

LLL3
05-30-2023, 08:16 PM
The need to make a 5'3 and under senior league so Lebron23 can make the roster as a 15th man

FultzNationRISE
05-30-2023, 08:32 PM
The 6'3" league would need build-up; creation of personalities and rivalries. They need to hype the games just like the UFC does so that the game is personal.

Otherwise people have limited time and prefer to watch the best. (NCAA is different and relates to alma matter loyalties and those people sucking others in.)

The NBA is "above that" (and so are most professional sports leagues)- but this kind of alternative setup shouldn't aim to be as stodgy and boring.

It's amazing how much money Adam Silver has wasted promoting the WNBA. Those are 30-second ad spots that could go to paying advertisers but insists on trying to push this product no one wants. Overall Silver has not measured up to the business smarts that David Stern had. End of the day, you cannot market your way to selling a product with no demand.

The NBA is not *strictly* a business. Yes they strive to maximize profits in many facets, but it is also a social/political institution and will position itself accordingly to be involved in certain causes.

The owners know the WNBA is not going to be a financially profitable endeavor. It exists to help shape the social narrative. Opportunities for women. Visibility for women. These are goals the NBA is willing to subsidize the WNBA to achieve.

Axe
05-30-2023, 08:32 PM
Most sports fans are still men … men are only interested in watching females play sports if they are attractive …. The wnba has the ugliest women I’ve seen

Women don’t seem to care much about sports … hence the failure of the wnba …. Along with the presentation of their league
It's mostly true. Bball is predominantly men but it's fine if the wnba or any other women's bball league exist. Tho like you said, they're just meh overall. Maybe cheerleading squads or a volleyball league would attract more audience somehow.

Baller789
05-30-2023, 10:46 PM
A club soccer team of 15 year old boys beat the Australian women's soccer team 7-0. Just look up powerlifting records for both men and women and you will see the actual numerical gap between male and female athletics. We're not talking about a pretty decently put-together pick-up team, we're talking about pro clubs of the PBA- who are still professionals and paid to train for a living. Barring Lebron coming out as transgender, a team of women is going to get killed.

Thats not what I asked.

I asked if there was a precedent of these type of games: pro basketball.

Baller789
05-30-2023, 10:48 PM
The NBA is not *strictly* a business. Yes they strive to maximize profits in many facets, but it is also a social/political institution and will position itself accordingly to be involved in certain causes.

The owners know the WNBA is not going to be a financially profitable endeavor. It exists to help shape the social narrative. Opportunities for women. Visibility for women. These are goals the NBA is willing to subsidize the WNBA to achieve.

So it just reinforced the fact that women need men :lol

Full Court
05-30-2023, 11:05 PM
A male basketball league with a max height of 6'3"

would be over a foot taller than Screwy Louie.

ralph_i_el
05-31-2023, 11:53 AM

Investing in the WNBA also helps feed the generational pipeline of players. Last NBA draft had a good few WNBA moms iirc.

Xiao Yao You
05-31-2023, 12:11 PM
Investing in the WNBA also helps feed the generational pipeline of players. Last NBA draft had a good few WNBA moms iirc.

wasn't Javale McGee enough?

TheMan
05-31-2023, 03:20 PM
6'3" and under men can easily dunk. WNBA dunks are a couple dozen in their 25 year history, and they barely get over the rim. Of course more people would watch a 6'3" league rather than the WNBA. I've tried watching the WNBA, it's hard to watch. Women are just clumsier, less athletic and weak, and I'm not being misogynistic, just stating biological fact.

Patrick Chewing
05-31-2023, 03:24 PM
A male basketball league with a max height of 6'3"

would be over a foot taller than Screwy Louie.

https://images2.imgbox.com/46/54/Pqbx6ZNa_o.png

elementally morale
05-31-2023, 03:34 PM
Reality or your opinion?

30+ years ago when I played organized basketball (one of my teammates, Kornel David, actually made it to the NBA) on the team 'Budapest Honved' I also played for my high school in the Budapest (and Hungary) high school league, which we actually won a few times. It was then when we had the opportunity to play the adult female team that won the national championship that year. We thought we would lose, us being 17 year olds at the time and the women's team playing in international (adult) competition. To my honest surprise, we won by like 40 points. It was like a light training session for us. Differences in male vs. female basketball are huge.

ILLsmak
05-31-2023, 03:56 PM
Girls are just different. They approach things differently, despite what pop science will tell you. I, like Wilt, am a big fan of BEACH VOLLEYBALL. It seems much more like a girl sport and 2v2, is actually similar to bball in a lot of ways. The main difference is instead of dribbling, people have to learn to control the ball off hits.

I think women's basketball should be somehow... different. Not saying they should play in bikinis or whatever, but I think the fail of women's basketball is a fundamental one. As in, it's something that is a core issue. What it is, I can't say. Making the ball smaller was cool, but I dunno if it makes it more exciting. I guess if I wanted to put a ton of time into thinking of something that would never happen, I could probably shit out what I feel would make women's bball interesting, but NAH.

People who wanna see girls get up and play aerial like men should watch beach volleyball + the fact they are in bikinis. Just saying. It's way more exciting, and you can see by the way they go at it that women are CAPABLE of the kind of stuff that makes men's bball interesting, they just don't do it, for some reason.

haha, ooor maybe dudes think I'm wilin' out.

Edit: ooo, I gotta say this still... I've said it like 10x on this forum, but there was this girl who came to play at a park w/ her friend... I was young at the time like 13-14, and their rims were weird like... a little short, Maybe 9 3/4? I was athletic, but I'm small. Girl sized tbh, well... girl bball player size, and I chased this college age girl (honestly prol a college bball player) down on the break and slammed her shit off the backboard. Like I said, she was legit good, but in the end... nah. Her boy was dying tho. Looking back, it was one of my favorite moments in basketball. I love clowning on girls. The ones who are strong minded take it in stride and realize... and go back and do what they do well. The ones who are feeling themselves too much, like this girl, take it to HEART. Imagine getting chased down by a 5'6 13-14 year old tho haha. I was just getting on that rim, too. So I knew I could get up there, but she was completely clueless to what was about to befall her.

-Smak

hateraid
06-01-2023, 02:37 AM
Reality or your opinion?

No, it's reality. This has been debunked on so many levels.

hateraid
06-01-2023, 02:39 AM
A club soccer team of 15 year old boys beat the Australian women's soccer team 7-0. Just look up powerlifting records for both men and women and you will see the actual numerical gap between male and female athletics. We're not talking about a pretty decently put-together pick-up team, we're talking about pro clubs of the PBA- who are still professionals and paid to train for a living. Barring Lebron coming out as transgender, a team of women is going to get killed.

Somehow he'll think your facts are opinions. Lol

hateraid
06-01-2023, 02:40 AM
30+ years ago when I played organized basketball (one of my teammates, Kornel David, actually made it to the NBA) on the team 'Budapest Honved' I also played for my high school in the Budapest (and Hungary) high school league, which we actually won a few times. It was then when we had the opportunity to play the adult female team that won the national championship that year. We thought we would lose, us being 17 year olds at the time and the women's team playing in international (adult) competition. To my honest surprise, we won by like 40 points. It was like a light training session for us. Differences in male vs. female basketball are huge.

Yup, reality check indeed

Baller789
06-01-2023, 05:57 AM
No, it's reality. This has been debunked on so many levels.

So if its reality it is presumed it has happened.

So when did it happen?

Did you just manifest it? Or is it purely theoretical?

elementally morale
06-01-2023, 03:17 PM

So when did it happen?

Some women can shoot really well but that's where it ends. In high school there was a girl who was a great talent and at the age of 17 was playing for the national team (bench player but she was young). When we played horse (dunking not allowed) or were just competing in a 3 point shootaround she was really good. I played SG and sometimes she beat me. However, playing 1 on 1 she had absolutely no chance and she was taller than me (I'm 6'1). When playing as a team vs. the adult female team they looked dangerous during the warmup. But in reality it was really tough for them to not run out of the shotclock. There were like 20 blocked shots during the game, all by the boys team.

In lots of other sports like running and swimming female athletes were much closer. Basketball is somehow hard for them. I don't even know why but the difference was immense. It's not only physical attributes but spatial orientation as well.

hateraid
06-02-2023, 01:16 AM

So when did it happen?

Because other sports have proven this theory. Because if women were that good they would have equal opportunity to play in the men's divisions. Because Trans men who can't compete within their own gender dominate when facing women.

The game never has to materialize for this the be widely known by intelligent sports enthusiasts. Lol, even women would submit to the idea.

A junior high school basketball team would be WNBA all stars. A poster here gave you an example. What more do you need?

But I've bumped in to you in other threads where I thought you didn't understand logic. This now confirms it

Baller789
06-02-2023, 02:13 AM
Because other sports have proven this theory. Because if women were that good they would have equal opportunity to play in the men's divisions. Because Trans men who can't compete within their own gender dominate when facing women.

The game never has to materialize for this the be widely known by intelligent sports enthusiasts. Lol, even women would submit to the idea.

A junior high school basketball team would be WNBA all stars. A poster here gave you an example. What more do you need?

But I've bumped in to you in other threads where I thought you didn't understand logic. This now confirms it

So in short, you just have your opinion.

hateraid
06-03-2023, 03:19 AM
So in short, you just have your opinion.

It's the closest thing to facts you can come up with. Why do think Serena avoided playing Andy Murray? She said she wouldn't even get a point off him. Let alone the 600th ranked men's single player in the world.
Dude, you're grasping on to a pretty clear argument that's been dispelled numerous times. Now I'm thinking you're a progressive with his head in his ass lol

It's about as dumb as thinking a Cheetah could lose to a man in a footrace. It's never happened sonits only an opinion lol