PDA

View Full Version : Myth: Prime Dwight Howard was a bad post-up player [SPOILER: *He was actually good!*]

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2023, 03:03 PM
I made a post about this in another thread but I think it deserves its own.

It was commonly repeated - even in his prime - that Dwight was a subpar post-up player. That he lacked the touch and finesse from the pivot. Yes, he was mechanical and stiff, lacking fluidity; however, he was actually very effective down low. His low-post game was one of the fundamental components of Orlando's potent inside-out half-court offense.

Don't believe me? Let's look at some numbers from his 2010-2011 season. He scored 22.9 ppg and shot 59.7% FG when you remove seven three-point shot attempts. Four were heaves and three came late in the shot clock. It's his best-scoring season; he showed a tremendous combination of volume, efficiency, and career-best diversity.

Here are the Synergy numbers from that season:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dl3CslGUcAE2WK5?format=jpg&name=medium

The post-up constituted 58.7% of his offense. That would surprise a lot of people; perspective can warp as the years pass. A lot of people falsely think of him as a simple roll-and-cut big like Gobert or Capela.

He shot 50.3% FG, had a strong free-throw rate, and had a 13.9% turnover rate. Good for 0.928 PPP - about in line with 2010-2011 Orlando's 8th-ranked half-court offense. You can see the Synergy numbers for Orlando as a team below.

We also have to consider that these post-up numbers for Dwight don't include his passing and off-ball gravity. Not to mention how his post-up game segued into alley-oops and great positioning for cuts, dump-offs, and tip-ins/put-backs. Peep the incredibly high shooting percentage and PPP on cuts and offensive rebounds. Alley-oops seem to be included in "cuts."

To help you understand the value of his post-up game a little better, consider this: his overall half-court offense went from 1.005 PPP to 1.095 PPP with assists added. It's under the "Poss + Assists" section above. And that doesn't even include hockey assists. Orlando got a lot of assists swinging the ball to the weakside from Dwight's post-up plays.

Let's assume 58.7% of Dwight's 107 assists are from his post-up possessions. That gives us 62.81 assists from post-up plays. Then we multiply that by the average points per assist in the half-court (PPA) which is 2.578. That comes out to 161.92 total points.

946 post-up points + 161.92 post-up assist points = 1,107.92

1,107.92 points generated from Dwight Howard post-up plays / 1,019 total post-up plays = 1.087

That's it: 1.087 PPP. Pretty damn good. Elite half-court offense; top five most likely. Doesn't even include hockey assists and assists that don't count as hockey assists. Not even the off-ball gravity.

So what's the conclusion? He was a strong post-up player. Anyone saying otherwise isn't looking at the numbers. It wasn't pretty but it was effective.

- 50.3% FG
- Elite foul pressure
- Post-up game segued into lobs, cuts, dump-offs, and offensive rebound tip-ins/put-backs
- Collapsed defense with off-ball gravity and created open shots for teammates
- Most likely resulted in a top-five half-court offense

Here are the Synergy numbers for 2010-2011 Orlando:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dl3HIuAV4AEhvSn?format=jpg&name=large

And of course, he had limitations as a post-up player. The three main ones are:

- Mediocre passer
- Turnover prone
- Limited range

Yes, he wasn't as good as Shaq at posting up... but how many are? At the end of the day, the numbers supported him being a very good post-up player. Should he have taken more shots? Maybe. It's hard to say. You don't add possessions; you redistribute them. A star player scoring 2-3 ppg more doesn't mean his team will.

Some players are just passive on offense when they should be more assertive. Teammates and coaches were always telling Steve Nash that he needed to shoot more. Many years later, he admits it himself. Kblaze made a great post about Reggie Miller on this issue:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?510010-What-would-prime-Reggie-Miller-average-today&p=14732776&viewfull=1#post14732776

30ppg wouldn’t shock me a bit if a coach could get him to stop giving up on plays that didn’t get him open like he mostly did by the mid 90s. Despite what 25 year olds tell me by reading efficiency stats this was totally normal in the 90s:

“Superstars are supposed to go get the basketball.”LARRY BIRDTo a man, the Pacers were talking about how hard they need to work to get Reggie Miller better shots tonight.
Larry Bird, though, feels differently. Millerholds his destiny – and the Pacers’ – in his hands. But Miller’s hands have not had the basketball nearly enough. So while, yes, more screens, better screens, would be nice, Miller needs to go get the ball and, in a nutshell, be selfish. Yeah, it’s nice to spring a teammate on a roll. But the teammates aren’t going to be who leads Indiana to victory. Miller can.
So far, though, Miller has attempted just five shots in the final four minutes of the three games combined. He has missed all five. Worse, with the game on the line twice in the final possession, Miller never touched the ball. Great players find a way, Bird insisted, issuing a not so subtle challenge to Miller for tonight’s Game 4 at the Garden.
“We’ve got to set better picks … [but] Reggie gave in a couple times where he was defended well and he sought of gave in to it and let the ball swing to the other side of the court. With two minutes to go, I was sitting there wondering, ‘When is he going to go and get the ball in his hands?'” Bird related. “And that’s where we want it: in his hands because we know they’re not going to foul him and we know he can make that play for us. It just didn’t happen.”.

People openly wondered why Reggie was t doing anything. The number of big plays that would be Dale Davis or Mark Jackson trying to score one on one when they weren’t scorers would shock some of you.

Reggie would have a screen not clear him and just stand there and watch worse players lose them games instead of going to get the ball. And 30 years later I have people who were 4 at the time tell me he always took over.

If you could get Reggie to play the way his modern fans think he did he might contend for a scoring title with these off ball movement rules. He was legit as good as Steph off the ball if not better because he had more willingness to flash open and get a quick midrange or fadeaway that Steph usually won’t take. That guy would be open all day every day. He obviously can’t do it with the in his hands like Steph but he had more willingness to take what’s there not just threes and these days he’d find openings all over.

Get him to play like he’s the man all the time he’d be doing 30. But he probably wouldn’t.

Just because they wouldn't, doesn't mean they couldn't. We're measuring ability here, after all.

This video is a good representation of how Dwight's post-up game looked at its best. Notice how he rarely makes a shot further than five feet. How his strength and athleticism allow him to get high-percentage looks close to the basket. Whether that was establishing deep position, backing down a guy, or facing up and blowing by him. He liked to use running hooks, baby hooks, and powerful drop steps.

It wasn't pretty; people wouldn't call it skilled, but it was effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-s9vfrpOM0

Akeem34TheDream
05-31-2023, 05:08 PM
Who had the better career, McHale or Howard?

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2023, 10:01 PM
Who had the better career, McHale or Howard?

That's an interesting one. I'll have to think about it and come back with an answer.

ILLsmak
05-31-2023, 10:24 PM
Mite read later, but I think Dwight did work in the paint, but when people say he was a bad post up player, they mean in the traditional way. He def got it done in the paint.

He has a tendency to face up, even deep.

Edit: I became a post player, even tho I am a midget. Haha. Cuz Shaq was my fav dood. I'm also pretty good at wrestling or staying on my feet while putting other people down (sumo?) There is an inherent skill to posting up. You can learn the moves, but there is a lot of physics involved. It's not so different than on the perimeter, getting one foot in the right place, etc, and the amount of energy you can generate off of someone else's force. Dwight doesn't seem to have that on the same level. His skill set is lacking for a true center. He's not awful tho. I mean, he got 20? You can't really get 20 in the NBA off garbage, not back then. But otoh... 20 is kinda weak when you wanna say so and so is a good post player, putting in starter minutes. Just IMO. But his lack of post up skill shows most when he is faced with someone who understands 'body physics' which goes into rebounding, posting, post D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowEaP2o-zk here's a real world vid to see what he's working with. See how he's not really getting anywhere most of the time? And that's not vs someone who is a real C post defender, either.

-Smak

Micku
05-31-2023, 11:57 PM
The 2010-2011 year is when he trained with Hakeem to better his post moves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mArHU1ewSog

He actually showed improvement in those years. He stopped using those moves after the injury and post-magic. He had a nice bank shot too around that time with the face up. I remember a user here was really excited when they finally show the improvement from him.

Lebron too around that time trained with Hakeem. They all got influenced by Kobe going to Hakeem in the 09-10 season, and Kobe dramatically improved his footwork and post moves. LeBron finally operated in the post a lot more in the 12 season I think.

Howard didn't improve upon it and made it his own like Kobe. LeBron stopped using the finesse approach and played more bully ball later in his career.

BigKobeFan
06-01-2023, 05:55 AM
The 2010-2011 year is when he trained with Hakeem to better his post moves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mArHU1ewSog

He actually showed improvement in those years. He stopped using those moves after the injury and post-magic. He had a nice bank shot too around that time with the face up. I remember a user here was really excited when they finally show the improvement from him.

Lebron too around that time trained with Hakeem. They all got influenced by Kobe going to Hakeem in the 09-10 season, and Kobe dramatically improved his footwork and post moves. LeBron finally operated in the post a lot more in the 12 season I think.

Howard didn't improve upon it and made it his own like Kobe. LeBron stopped using the finesse approach and played more bully ball later in his career.

What a dumbass. Hakeem said he had nothing to teach kobe.

Op wouldnt know what post moves are if it hit him on the head

HylianNightmare
06-01-2023, 06:51 AM
He had a couple moves that weren't pretty but worked and he was just an athletic freak, pretty much if you can look up the stats against normal centers back then, Big Z,Bogut, Blanche, Perkins etc etc and compare them to dudes like Bynum Yao Even old Shaq you'll see he struggled against big strong dudes or guys with similar athletesism

iamgine
06-01-2023, 07:36 AM
Dwight was quite effective when he was able to get into an ideal situation.

The problem is, he wasn't able to do that enough. The rate he shot was like Jonas Valanciounas level role player.

And when he didn't get into an ideal situation, he often fumbled the ball.

Im Still Ballin
06-01-2023, 08:43 PM
Good discourse. Interesting points raised.

Im Still Ballin
06-08-2023, 05:16 AM
Here's an old Grantland article from Zach Lowe discussing the decline of Dwight's post-up game in Houston. Includes some historical post-up stats from Synergy and a detailed scouting report of his pivot arsenal in Orlando:

But he’s not the same terrifying force he was in Orlando in 2011 and 2012, and that is most obvious on the offensive end. To be blunt: Howard’s post game is dead, or at least on life support, and if it doesn’t recover, the Rockets run the serious risk of wasting a dozen possessions per game in order to keep the big fella happy. Howard has shot 20-of-60, or 33 percent, on post-up attempts this season, per Synergy Sports. That would have ranked 88th out of 92 players who recorded at least 75 post-up plays last season. He has turned over the ball on an astonishing 24 percent of his post-up chances this season, per Synergy. That would have ranked last among those 92 players last season.

This is not a startling trend. Here are Howard’s post-up numbers for the preceding three seasons:

2010-11: 50.6 percent shooting, 14.5 percent turnover rate

2011-12: 49.9 percent shooting, 13.6 percent turnover rate

2012-13: 44.5 percent shooting, 18.2 percent turnover rate

It is a myth, and a disturbingly widespread one, to say Howard has never had a post-up game. It is doubly frustrating that the loudest such critics on your Tee-Vee tend to be post-up guys who played during a time when the illegal defense rules were such that they could happily back it down one-on-one without fear of swiping help defenders and opponents shading their entire defenses toward the ball. “It’s great that those players like Charles Barkley could do that,” says Stan Van Gundy, Howard’s longtime coach in Orlando. “But all you gotta do is watch, and you see the game is going in a different direction because of the rules. A lot of the criticism is B.S.”

Howard was once a very powerful post-up player, and it wasn’t all that long ago. He never had the most graceful footwork or McHale-esque bag of tricks, but he had seven or eight dependable moves and countermoves that worked well enough. People might scoff at the idea that Howard possesses such variety, but it’s on the film if the critics care to look.

It just doesn’t work anymore, and that’s before you even consider his abysmal foul shooting. Watching film of the current Howard and the version from 2011 and before his back injury late in the 2012 season, is like watching film of two different human beings playing basketball. The repertoire of moves is the same; the results are not.

Peak Dwight didn’t have moves and countermoves as much as fluid explosions in every direction. He built his post arsenal on sweeping hook shots he could launch while dribbling toward the middle of the floor with either hand, from either block. If he caught the ball on the right block, he liked to face up, throw a shoulder fake toward the baseline, and then barrel into the lane for a lefty hook. But if defenders tracked him there, he could spin right back toward the baseline for a counterattack.

The spins were so fast in 2011 and 2012 that you couldn’t even really tell it was a countermove. It looked like one continuous motion. The sheer velocity of it left defenders either hopelessly flat-footed, falling out of bounds, or trailing the play badly.

Check out poor Etan Thomas trying to deal with peak Dwight on this move, which starts out as if Howard is going to his righty hook from the middle of the floor:

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/thomas_etan_1_g_mp_576.jpg

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/thomas_etan_2_g_mp_576.jpg

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/thomas_etan_3_g_mp_576.jpg

Im Still Ballin
06-08-2023, 05:16 AM
Continued.

Peak Dwight could also just move large humans out of the way for dunks. Check out this sequence on Reggie Evans, noted tough guy and ball-puncher:

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/evans_reggie_1_g_mp_576.jpg

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/evans_reggie_2_g_mp_576.jpg

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/evans_reggie_3_g_mp_576.jpg

The combination of speed and power left guys so out of position, and so off-balance, that Dwight could often simply rise for a dunk as they fell out of the play.

That’s the starkest difference: Howard used to dunk from the post. He has not made a single dunk this season on post-up tries. He likes to face up on the left block, drive baseline, and squeeze through the tiny space there before rising for a dunk. He used to blow by guys on that move, or get them backpedaling in such an off-balance panic that he could nudge them out of the way before rising up, as he does to Kwame Brown here:

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1119/brown_kwame_1a_g_mp_576.jpg

https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1118/brown_kwame_2_g_mp_576.jpg

He still tries those baseline dunks. They just end in offensive fouls, or turnovers, or sad attempts at up-and-under moves as Howard tries increasingly more difficult tricks to avoid swatting arms that never used to be in his airspace. The countermoves are mechanical now. You can see Howard’s brain working. I’m going for the hook. Now I stop. Now I gather my weight and pivot back the other way. Now I jump off two feet. He’s showing his work, to us and his defenders. Those defenders can stay with him now, and they can see that work as it unfolds.

His old coach watches Howard now and sees the difference. “He’s gotten a little older, and the back injury is there,” Van Gundy says. “That will take away some of his quickness and mobility.”5

Van Gundy never much liked the straight post-up anyway. If Howard was going to get the ball on the block, Van Gundy preferred it to come either in semi-transition or after Howard set a high screen and rumbled down to the block. He could get deep position that way, so that he could catch and go right into a monster move. “We wanted to get it to him as close to the basket as possible,” Van Gundy says, “to a place where no dribble was necessary.” Howard mostly catches the ball two steps outside the paint now. Basically, every defender is Jason Collins from the 2011 playoffs.