PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Sharpe allegedly leaving Undisputed / Fox Sports

Wardell Curry
05-31-2023, 09:41 PM
https://nypost.com/2023/05/31/shannon-sharpe-leaving-fs1s-undisputed/

Shannon Sharpe’s partnership with Skip Bayless is coming to a conclusion soon.

Sharpe and Fox Sports, the parent company of FS1, which airs “Undisputed,” have reached a buyout agreement, sources tell The Post.

Sharpe’s final show is expected to be after the 2023 NBA Finals conclude in June.

Sharpe’s popular “Club Shay Shay” podcast, which draws a big audience on social media and YouTube, will also be leaving Fox Sports, a source said.

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill. I think Shannon Sharpe is the best TV sports personality on day time and or early morning sports shows.

1987_Lakers
05-31-2023, 09:52 PM
I never felt Skip & Sharpe were the same after the following events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl1t6ZR9Az4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbjRjNucAI

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
I remember reading rumors that they were trying to replace him. Had some other Fox Sports former footballer in consideration.

BallsOut
05-31-2023, 10:15 PM
Good riddance

Kblaze8855
05-31-2023, 10:17 PM
I remember reading rumors that they were trying to replace him. Had some other Fox Sports former footballer in consideration.

I don’t know who it could be to match the personality. Chris Carter is way more laid back. You’d need one of the espn buffons big personality wise.

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2023, 10:19 PM
I don’t know who it could be to match the personality. Chris Carter is way more laid back. You’d need one of the espn buffons big personality wise.

It's a hell of an opportunity for a black man with a big personality. It rebounded Shannon's media career after getting canned at CBS.

Im Still Ballin
05-31-2023, 10:40 PM
Emmanuel Acho was the guy I was hearing rumors about. He's on a show with Joy Taylor; I wonder if he'll be the one to step up. Not sure he's a big enough name though. There's got to be a high-level ex-NFL/NBA guy who wants to get into the media. Someone who has got a big personality. Do the show for several years to get in circulation and build up a podcast.

SaltyMeatballs
06-01-2023, 12:01 AM
Good riddance

He was by far the best sports media member on Fox Sports

Patrick Chewing
06-01-2023, 12:08 AM
I think Shannon Sharpe is the best TV sports personality on day time and or early morning sports shows.

yikes

John8204
06-01-2023, 12:22 AM
He was by far the best sports media member on Fox Sports

faint praise

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-01-2023, 12:41 AM
Shannon Sharpe was great at his job. He brought alot of character to the show. Even though being a big Lebron fan, he would still speak the truth when Lebron had a bad game. I cant think of anyone who can replace him, it wont be the same. Skip is hard to watch, always tapping on the table, finding anything to discredit a player. But as a duel, they were fun to watch even though sometimes annoying specially skip.

1987_Lakers
06-01-2023, 12:43 AM

Mad Dog Russo it is.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-01-2023, 12:49 AM
I never felt Skip & Sharpe were the same after the following events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl1t6ZR9Az4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbjRjNucAI

More reasons why Skip is so hard to watch. He thinks what he want to think and say, like tunnel vision. Just blabbing out crap and "umm huh, oom huh, ummm, uhhuh, ummmhumm".

Foster5k
06-01-2023, 03:13 AM
They will miss Unc.

What people don’t realize is that it’s impossible to have a show like Undisputed without over the top takes and personalities. The show is for entertainment.

Phoenix
06-01-2023, 04:15 AM
Mad Dog Russo it is.

I dont think he works. One of the big talking points on that show is the GOAT debate, and I think Mad dog favors MJ. You need a pro Lebron guy like a Nick Wright to bounce off him. Brussard is a big enough personality but hes on 'Odd Couple'

BarberSchool
06-01-2023, 06:28 AM
I think Shannon Sharpe is the best TV sports personality on day time and or early morning sports shows.Wow.

Why ?

Son is some PED abusing DL bransexual goofy bamma country bumpkin playing the role of contrarian, reading teleprompter lines written by a team of writers whose sole mission is to create racially divisive takes on sporting events …. As part of a larger effort to keep a multiracial public divided so we never unite to fight a class war against the grotesque ownership class (whose kids/nephews are the ones writing the teleprompter lines that shannon reads)….

We’re you under the assumption that everything shannon said on the show were his own off the cuff thoughts ?
Got some news for you
*pops balloon with pin*

Wardell Curry
06-01-2023, 06:31 AM
Wow.

Why ?

Son is some PED abusing DL bransexual goofy bamma country bumpkin playing the role of contrarian, reading teleprompter lines written by a team of writers whose sole mission is to create racially divisive takes on sporting events ….

His takes aren't the best but he's the funniest and most entertaining.

Any people who think they're watching these shows because of accurate, in depth analysis are kidding themselves. They're watching it for entertainment.

The same reason people still watch the news. Entertainment. Well, I would hope that people recognize it for what it is, but that's straying a bit from the topic at hand and I know for sure people think the news is all fairly depicted and objectively accurate, so long as it's their favorite channel. But I digress.

Shannon Sharpe is the most entertaining personality on daytime sports TV. The only people that are more fun to to watch are the TNT crew.

BarberSchool
06-01-2023, 06:48 AM
^Fair enough.

I don’t find him entertaining at all.
I think he knows enough to know how heinous a sell out he is.
Hopefully this departure was due to him not wanting to contribute to the aforementioned machine.

As for TNT, I absolutely love Chuck, Shaq, and Ernie. But wish Kenny would just dry up and blow away already.

Son is the worst type of phony NY older brother. Vastly overstating everything simple and small as if it’s grandiose and complex…. Lauding himself at every opportunity like a grade school kid whose parents never pay him any attention…. Pretending he was ever a great player in any way at all….. forcing viewers to observe his disgustingly mangled knock kneed, giant batty bwoy ass lower body as he runs up to the giant screen in the most unecessary self-aggrandizing “please I wanna be a coach so bad, but I don’t know that I’m a joke” face azz …. while being the sh!ttiest, most annoying, fake version of Mike fratello possible …. Etc

Im Still Ballin
06-01-2023, 07:00 AM
What if Michael Irvin doesn't get his NFL Network gig back? He might be even better than Shannon.

Foster5k
06-01-2023, 09:41 AM
Nah none of those guys mentioned above can replace Unc.

Skip needs to ask for a buy-out and join Steven A. Smith back on ESPN. Ratings would go through the roof if Skip and SAS teamed up for one last ride. I think these two bring out the best in each other.

If I'm ESPN, I'm doing everything I can to get Skip and SAS back together. No more Unc? Skip time to go back home to ESPN.

nineiron
06-01-2023, 10:19 AM
Kwame Brown ended this clown's career. :banana:

Patrick Chewing
06-01-2023, 10:37 AM
Does it have to be a Black dude to replace Shannon? Cause I hear Kellerman is out at ESPN too. But I'm not saying Kellerman is a good fit either. Can't stand him to be honest. Can't be a slow-talker either.

Chris Broussard makes sense.

nineiron
06-01-2023, 10:40 AM
Does it have to be a Black dude to replace Shannon? Cause I hear Kellerman is out at ESPN too. But I'm not saying Kellerman is a good fit either. Can't stand him to be honest. Can't be a slow-talker either.

is Kellerman still sucking Lebron's c0ck?

Patrick Chewing
06-01-2023, 10:43 AM

Oh yeah. There's a reason why he's failing over at ESPN.

Hey Yo
06-01-2023, 12:11 PM

You waiting on deck, soccer boy?

RogueBorg
06-01-2023, 12:53 PM

I hope not, First Things First was a better show, should be elevated to the top spot and leave Brou on it.

Patrick Chewing
06-01-2023, 03:12 PM
I hope not, First Things First was a better show, should be elevated to the top spot and leave Brou on it.

Well for one thing, Broussard is not a Lebron stan. So he has that going for him. If it has to be a Black counterpart, I was actually thinking if they brought back Marcellus Wiley. He would be my top choice.

nineiron
06-01-2023, 03:24 PM
Well for one thing, Broussard is not a Lebron stan. So he has that going for him. If it has to be a Black counterpart, I was actually thinking if they brought back Marcellus Wiley. He would be my top choice.

both Broussard and Wiley are LeFraud fanboys.

Patrick Chewing
06-01-2023, 03:28 PM
both Broussard and Wiley are LeFraud fanboys.

oh

Lakers Legend#32
06-01-2023, 04:02 PM
Bronco B!tch
He won't be missed.

rawimpact
06-01-2023, 04:25 PM
He's a loose canon, we must suppress him.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-01-2023, 05:48 PM
Unc needs to do some guess appearances on 'No Chill' w/Gilbert Arenas, First Take ww/Stephen A Smith, NBA Today w/Chiney Ogwumike, Perkins, Zach Lowe(without Malika Andrews hosting.

But doing a appearance on First Take will be a big **** ***, to Skip so I doubt it. If he went on 'No Chill', as long as they dont go on and on about how great Levron is. I think NBA Today would be fun to watch with UNC there. Maybe Inside can have UNC fill in for Shaq sometime.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-01-2023, 06:01 PM
What if Michael Irvin doesn't get his NFL Network gig back? He might be even better than Shannon.

On the basketball side, I doubt he is more in-depth then UNC.

Dagoods
06-01-2023, 08:25 PM
One LeBron boyfriend down...
Who's next? Nick Wrong!!!

I like WILDES, he's awesome!

And1AllDay
06-01-2023, 09:14 PM
They will miss Unc.

What people don’t realize is that it’s impossible to have a show like Undisputed without over the top takes and personalities. The show is for entertainment.

+1

Kblaze8855
06-01-2023, 10:53 PM
Irvin is a big enough personality but having lost Brady, and about to lose Rodgers and Lebron soon he can’t bring in another big cowboys fan. That’s the only thing he’s got established. Can’t have both side pro cowboys. If it’s Irvin he needs a cowboy hating third guy for football season.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-01-2023, 11:18 PM
One LeBron boyfriend down...
Who's next? Nick Wrong!!!

I like WILDES, he's awesome!

Wildes too into his hair jk. He doesnt have that UMPHHH, that nastiness, aggression, too nice.

tresbigdog
06-02-2023, 01:07 AM
I love Shannon, he was a breath of fresh air and the exact yang to Skip's dry, stale, predictable ying. I was hoping Shannon would stay on long enough to do commentary the day after LeBron retires. That show would have been awesome, Shannon demanding that Skip finally give LeBron his due credit.

Skip owes Shannon an on air apology for what he said about Shannon being jealous of Brady. I wouldn't hold my breath.

nayte
06-02-2023, 04:40 AM
I liked Shannon. One of the only shows I watched out of all those types. Well YouTubed em

Jasper
06-02-2023, 09:25 AM
bayless is such a dork at one time I enjoyed listening to his crap ... now he is just a prick.

nineiron
06-02-2023, 09:52 AM
bayless is such a dork at one time I enjoyed listening to his crap ... now he is just a prick.

not even close to how much of a dork Nick Wright and Colin Cowherd are

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-02-2023, 05:21 PM
Skip and Jenny Taft heated exchange.

https://youtu.be/F_knj2AL3gg.

For those who are excited because UNC leaving, I can picture you guys watching a new show which includes Ryan Hollins, Brandon Marshall, Skip, you can include Richard Jefferson just for his facial expressions while listening to those three LOL. Make it happen!

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-03-2023, 12:53 AM
https://youtu.be/m404flK9Q74

Get ready for the one and only....."Undisputed Final Take". First Take has just evolved!

In all seriousness, this will be a awesome show if UNC would become a regular. Both are hardheaded but will admit to being wrong unlike Skip who has tunnel vision. Think and believes only what he thinks and believe and nobody can say otherwise.

highwhey
06-03-2023, 03:03 AM
ESPN will nab him up quick. good for Unc, come to a better network.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-03-2023, 03:22 AM
Hope they give him some special guest appearances on NBA Countdown/NBA Today. Possibly a few shows on First Take so we he has a chance to get the cobb webs out.

Im Still Ballin
06-06-2023, 08:31 AM
LeSean McCoy rumored to be in contention.

NEW: Skip Bayless could be getting another former All-Pro to argue with on FS1's Undisputed.

LeSean McCoy has emerged as a potential candidate to replace Shannon Sharpe, sources tell @FOS. (via @MMcCarthyREV and I).

Im Still Ballin
06-06-2023, 08:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I1ne9pxgog

brownmamba00
06-06-2023, 08:00 PM
Skip is finished.

kawhileonard2
06-06-2023, 09:05 PM
Irvin is a big enough personality but having lost Brady, and about to lose Rodgers and Lebron soon he can’t bring in another big cowboys fan. That’s the only thing he’s got established. Can’t have both side pro cowboys. If it’s Irvin he needs a cowboy hating third guy for football season.

Stephen A would be perfect for that. Probably the biggest Cowboys hater of them all.

kawhileonard2
06-06-2023, 09:05 PM
Skip is finished.

He is 69/70 years old he should be retired anyway.

Kblaze8855
07-15-2024, 08:36 PM
Show lasted a year without Shannon. Ending in a month or two. At least Skips version. He’s leaving.

8Ball
07-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Show lasted a year without Shannon. Ending in a month or two. At least Skips version. He’s leaving.

Skip Bayless made a career talking dumb shit and needed credible people like Shannon Sharpe to elevate himself.

Good riddance.

Im Still Ballin
07-15-2024, 11:29 PM
Damn, I was wrong on this one. It's truly the era of the former pro. Skip had value but he's out of his prime and the game has changed.

Still, a first-ballot HOFer when it comes to pro sports hot-takin'. Respect.

:applause:

Wardell Curry
07-16-2024, 12:02 AM
Shannon carried his sorry ass and kept that show relevant past its expiration date.

Skip's entire career has been solely about hating LeBron James. It's not a shocker that he decline comes as LeBron is on the way out. He's the 3ball of sports networks. That man owes LeBron a lot of money.

Im Still Ballin
07-16-2024, 12:33 AM
Shannon carried his sorry ass and kept that show relevant past its expiration date.

Skip's entire career has been solely about hating LeBron James. It's not a shocker that he decline comes as LeBron is on the way out. He's the 3ball of sports networks. That man owes LeBron a lot of money.

Skip did "put him on" as they say in the hip-hop/rap industry so to speak. Shannon's media career was in the dumps before he got the tap on the shoulder to be Bayless' co-host. He was fired by CBS, had some legal troubles, and wasn't exactly getting rave reviews for his performance on-air. Said he needed speech therapy because you couldn't understand what he was saying.

8Ball
07-16-2024, 08:54 AM

Skip's decline came when he no longer had anyone reputable to prop him up.

Imagine Shannon Sharpe giving 3ball a platform to argue his demented takes, people would watch, but once Shannon Sharpe disappears, the demented takes is all he has left and people don't forget it.

Kblaze8855
07-16-2024, 02:08 PM
Skip did "put him on" as they say in the hip-hop/rap industry so to speak. Shannon's media career was in the dumps before he got the tap on the shoulder to be Bayless' co-host. He was fired by CBS, had some legal troubles, and wasn't exactly getting rave reviews for his performance on-air. Said he needed speech therapy because you couldn't understand what he was saying.

And we see exactly where that line of thinking got Skip. I’m sure he’s fine and will bounce back with whatever he does but he was obviously not a driving force content wise.

sdot_thadon
07-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Had a decorated media career for sure. He started getting stale once Lebron hac won enough and dome enough to make his takes look retarded. He got hot being playa hater prime but turned himself into a one trick pony in the process and got played out. Yall will probably get to continue hearing his bad takes via podcast. That's what has been happening to all the washed up Bron haters.

Im Still Ballin
07-16-2024, 07:53 PM
And we see exactly where that line of thinking got Skip. I’m sure he’s fine and will bounce back with whatever he does but he was obviously not a driving force content wise.

It got him a decade plus of max contract money for bullshittin on air, which ain't too shabby. His value has always been the controversy his name draws. Like a heel in pro wrestling. But his name just doesn't create the heat in 2024 like it did a decade ago. Especially when he's old and there are so many hot-take artists now.

Timing is everything. Skip needed a loud black guy and they needed him until they outgrew his usefulness. And the media climate has changed rapidly with player/athlete podcasts exploding and cable declining further. I think TikTok and YouTube embracing short-form content had a lot to do with it. It's not like there weren't guys doing podcasts in 2016. Maybe not big, current athletes though.

I'm not sure Skip, Stephen A, or Shannon would be who they were and now are without each other. For better or worse.

Kblaze8855
07-16-2024, 08:12 PM
Thinking he was the driving force didn’t get him the money. He was a talking head at the right time Fox sports decided to copy first take. People yelling at each other was seen to be the way to go but he was never the entertaining end of it. SAS got bigger when he left and Shannon leaving destroyed the next one.

He was a right place right time guy. It happens. Not everyone rich off tv is immensely entertaining. Kendrick Perkins is way bigger now than he was as a player. Doesn’t make him good at his job.

Im Still Ballin
07-16-2024, 09:03 PM
Thinking he was the driving force didn’t get him the money. He was a talking head at the right time Fox sports decided to copy first take. People yelling at each other was seen to be the way to go but he was never the entertaining end of it. SAS got bigger when he left and Shannon leaving destroyed the next one.

He was a right place right time guy. It happens. Not everyone rich off tv is immensely entertaining. Kendrick Perkins is way bigger now than he was as a player. Doesn’t make him good at his job.

Everyone is a right place, right time guy, SAS and Shannon included. Timing, opportunity, and luck factor into everyone's success. No one was checking for either of them in 2011 and 2016 when Skip gave them the gig. In fact, both of them had been fired from their previous media jobs if I'm not mistaken. Did that mean they were bad at their jobs? Or just misused?

First Take was getting big ratings before Stephen A was even there. Was it Skip, Jay Crawford, the topics, the debate-style format, the rotating guests, or all of the above? It's obviously the last one.

But I think the shows themselves were the driving force. First Take and Undisputed. The platforms, not the hosts. But you can't separate that from all the variables and elements that make up the productions. Would First Take have been as successful without SAS? Would Undisputed have succeeded without Shannon? Its ratings and reviews weren't great early IIRC.

Who knows. I just don't think it's as cut-and-dry as you're making it out to be. Who's a bigger star today has little to do with who was a decade ago, especially when the media landscape has changed so drastically. And they're not exactly the same as they were back then. At least that's true for Skip, who should retire because he mentally checked out years ago.

Kblaze8855
07-16-2024, 09:45 PM
Espn is going to be relatively popular because that’s what men who have access to cable TV at 10 o’clock in the morning would have on in the background by default. Trying to turn Fox Sports into ESPN showed skip could not take an audience with him. And the complete lack of interest without Shannon shows he wasn’t what was entertaining about what they did over there. As the barometer for success changed to viral clips and online engagement, it became even more clear.

All skip can do to get clicks is throw a rotating series of cowboy jerseys in the trash. Shannon is the only one who was viable in the current market. When you get 90,000 viewers you live off the Internet. Shannon took about 45 minutes after he left to absolutely dust skip. Skip just isn’t entertaining or interesting. He was put next to people who are. If he goes back to ESPN I’m sure whatever the show is will succeed because ESPN will only let you fail so much.

If his rotating panel of black guys could’ve replaced Shannon, he would stay there and do it. He’s trying to go back to the well without the key piece of talent. He obviously is not that piece of talent.

Shannon was. Skip has a podcast, but I’ve never heard what it is or anything from it. My mom knows who Shannon Sharp is from his podcast alone. She watched some interview he did. And it wasn’t even the Katt Williams one. Shannon is just better at entertaining people than Skip.

Im Still Ballin
07-16-2024, 10:14 PM
How entertaining you can be is limited by the media landscape. Shannon wasn't able to do what he's doing now a decade and a half ago. Because the game was different. The market wasn't what it is now. Being a former athlete is key; it gets you interviews with former and existing players and gives one a level perspective, experience, and insight that can't be matched.

I feel like you think I'm arguing that Skip is a bigger or as big a star as Shannon right now/in recent years. I'm not; anyone with two eyes can see otherwise. I feel like it's obvious enough that it's not worth bringing up.

The original comment I made is that Skip put SAS and Shannon on. That's all. If you're implying that they'd both be as big as they are now without getting the tap on the shoulder in 2011 and 2016 I would disagree.

And as for the current state of Undisputed, I think they f'd with the format too much. Better to have one guy than a handful of em. It's like an ensemble now. And even Undisputed had bad reviews and started poorly ratings-wise in the first few seasons.

But no doubt: Shannon is a bigger star.