PDA

View Full Version : The FBI was investigating Bill Russell for black panther ties and other things.

Kblaze8855
06-02-2023, 12:14 PM
https://thebrunswicknews.com/sports/national_sports/fbi-snooped-on-bill-russell-for-discredited-black-panther-links-betting-more/article_7250631b-7458-5ccc-a810-c08f4faf9b82.html

BOSTON — Newly released FBI documents show Celtics legend Bill Russell was being shadowed by the feds for possible ties to the Black Panthers and allegedly gambling on hoops games.He was also interviewed by the FBI after a “threat was made against his life” and the State Department allowed the FBI to review Russell’s passport.
That passport document from 1968 listed his date of birth in Monroe, La., Feb. 12, 1934, his height, 6-feet, 9-inches tall, his wife, parents, address in Reading, Mass., on Haverhill Street and his occupation: Professional athlete.
It’s all part of the first installment of documents — some heavily redacted — on the legendary center who won a staggering 11 championships in Boston as a player and player-coach. The Boston Herald obtained the records under the federal Freedom of Information Act.
The news that the FBI snooped on Russell upset one former teammate who blasted the G-men for targeting a Civil Rights icon and genuine superstar.
“Rus was a Black activist and that gets people’s attention. Also when you win all those championships, it gets attention,” said Bob Cousy, a fellow Hall of Famer who said Russell was ahead of his time.
“He was part of the most significant team in American history,” Cousy said Friday. “I have no idea why the FBI was around. It’s a surprise to me.”
Cousy, 94, of Worcester, said he’s “reached the age where your cynicism has no bounds,” adding the FBI hasn’t distinguished itself lately.
“I love this country yet I’m cynical. Given the revelations from the last few years with the FBI, I used to have great respect for the agency,” he said. “The FBI has been politically involved lately.”
If the FBI had Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. followed, as they did, Russell was probably next on the list, Cousy added.
He said his teammate — who died last summer at the age of 88 — did struggle with paying taxes on time and wasn’t the best businessman, but other than that he was an inspiration. Cousy said the late Red Auerbach, the architect of the Celtics dynasty, would work his government connections to shield his star center from trouble, but that was the extent of what he knew about.
The FBI documents show that Russell faced scrutiny from the agency in 1971 for what documents state were possible links to the Black Panther Party. He was also dogged for agreeing to help the NAACP with what appears to be harmless hoop clinics in Mississippi.
Under the subject line “RACIAL MATTERS,” the FBI wanted to “discreetly determine the extent” of Russell’s involvement in the “Black Panther Party (BPP) or other black extremist or militant activities.”
That memo said Russell, then living in Los Angeles starting a TV career post-NBA, had “been in touch with BPP leader Huey Newton” and was planning on “traveling to Algiers” to interview “fugitive BPP leader” Eldridge Cleaver. That memo was stamped “confidential” in 1971.
Sources were cited by the FBI who were used to spy on Russell’s whereabouts. Those sources, one FBI memo adds, could not be revealed to all the brass cc’d in the documents because it “will adversely affect national security.”

Another document shows the FBI was concerned about Russell bringing back “tapes” from Algiers “prepared by Eldridge Cleaver, Minister of Information of the BPP.”
The BPP was founded in Oakland, Calif., in the mid-1960s clashing with police, with Russell telling Newton to push back at criticism by saying he was doing “what you think is right,” one dispatch states. FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover in 1968 called the Black Panthers the “greatest threat to the internal security of the country.”
That put Russell on the agency’s radar because of his celebrity.
As Cousy reminded the Herald Friday, Russell also struggled mightily with Boston’s racial strife during his playing days and the FBI documents reflect that tension.

“Intelligence unit, Boston Police Department, advised Russell had a reputation of being ‘an arrogant black’ in that he generally refused white children his autograph in an abusive way,” one document states. “(Redacted) described Russell as a person who sometimes changes his position on a daily basis.”.

Kblaze8855
06-02-2023, 12:17 PM
More in the link. They investigated him for placing a bet on the Celtics versus 76ers game on behalf of Sam Jones, which is weird because the bet was for Philly to win and Boston won so I don’t know why you investigate a losing bet when the guy who placed it won the game. They think he intended to lose but failed at it?

I guess it would be funny if Sam bet on Philly and tried to throw the game and he and Bill had a side bet with Bill betting he could win it even with Sam trying to lose it.

Jasper
06-02-2023, 12:18 PM
https://thebrunswicknews.com/sports/national_sports/fbi-snooped-on-bill-russell-for-discredited-black-panther-links-betting-more/article_7250631b-7458-5ccc-a810-c08f4faf9b82.html

60's were a pretty radical time , and the panthers were part of the equal rights march.

Bill has always championed equal rights that is why he has always been out spoken and people have liked him.

Hard to believe the fed's don't have something better to do , like investigate patsy, and jalopy.

ArbitraryWater
06-02-2023, 12:33 PM
More in the link. They investigated him for placing a bet on the Celtics versus 76ers game on behalf of Sam Jones, which is weird because the bet was for Philly to win and Boston won so I don’t know why you investigate a losing bet when the guy who placed it won the game. They think he intended to lose but failed at it?

I guess it would be funny if Sam bet on Philly and tried to throw the game and he and Bill had a side bet with Bill betting he could win it even with Sam trying to lose it.

um, yes?

Thats how every single athete fixing games bets?

They dont bet on themselves to win, but on them to lose.

lol

ArbitraryWater
06-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Betting on yourself to lose is extremely shady / weird.

Not sure why kblaze is surprised

HighFlyer23
06-02-2023, 12:43 PM

Shut up, you ugly ****

Kblaze8855
06-02-2023, 12:50 PM
um, yes?

Thats how every single athete fixing games bets?

They dont bet on themselves to win, but on them to lose.

lol

I can’t imagine the teams best player and leading scorer both trying to lose and winning anyway. Playing Philly at that points it’s against a team full of hall of famers. One that would have the goat(to that point) season around that time. You find it likely they couldn’t lose on purpose?

Just feels like a weird story.

FultzNationRISE
06-02-2023, 01:24 PM
They BETTER not investigate Lebron, thats all Ive got to ****ing say about that.

"They even obtained a photo from a birthday party for Angela Davis — who had ties to the Black Panthers — to see if he was the “Bill Russell” who sang at the event. He was not."

:lol

RRR3
06-02-2023, 04:34 PM
Bill was based af.