PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong or does it feel like ABC isn’t that into this series?

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:16 PM
Doesn’t feel like anyone calling or covering it is excited. I saw a Twitter discussion on how they’re not even using the usual finals banner and scoreboard digital package.

The crowd feels really in and out of it.

It feels and is being covered like a first round series. I get that they don’t have much historical footage to use at least for the Nuggets but the whole set up feels like an ABC Saturday or Sunday regular season game and the crowd isn’t helping.

The Miami fans don’t even show up on time but the atmosphere eventually makes games feel big. Is it the presentation or what?

I will accept that it’s me as well. It just doesn’t feel like a usual finals presentation.

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:18 PM
I feel like I’m not even seeing the kind of commercials you expect during a big sports event. Has anyone noticed any new commercials?

Wally450
06-04-2023, 09:19 PM
They don't care. This is such a shit series.

Look at the scoreboard. It looks like a random Wednesday night game during the regular season. The differences between the scoreboard last year and this year are insane. Just doesn't feel like a Finals series.

FultzNationRISE
06-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Dunno if it has anything to do with this, but it could I guess:

NBA to reduce expenses, limit hiring due to economy, per memo (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36168148/nba-reduce-expenses-limit-hiring-due-economy-per-memo)

SouBeachTalents
06-04-2023, 09:21 PM
From a marketing standpoint, it's the worst Finals matchup for them in 15 years. The casual fan simply doesn't care about Jokic & the Nuggets, and would probably have little interest in Butler & this team of undrafted players. I was thinking the same thing, this is the least enthusiastic I ever remember the Finals being covered.

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:22 PM
You see that 12 seconds they just did between commercials?

Something along the lines of

*showing the Jokic touch pass*

“Great pass from the bigman.” - Mike Greenberg

”Not many 7 footers doing that” - Stephen A

”Dropping dimes that’s his signature….….the joker” - Jalen

Burger King commercial.

That was the whole segment.

Theyre making this feel like a nothing event.

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:23 PM

Look at the scoreboard. It looks like a random Wednesday night game during the regular season. The differences between the scoreboard last year and this year are insane. Just doesn't feel like a Finals series.

That part at least is not a feeling. They literally aren’t making it look like a finals broadcast.

FultzNationRISE
06-04-2023, 09:24 PM
From a marketing standpoint, it's the worst Finals matchup for them in 15 years. The casual fan simply doesn't care about Jokic & the Nuggets, and would probably have little interest in Butler & this team of undrafted players. I was thinking the same thing, this is the least enthusiastic I ever remember the Finals being covered.

I dont understand why they havent been spamming Jokic’s career passing highlights in the promos. He honestly has so many RIDICULOUS passes, and Im not even talking about ‘sweet’ ones like that little flick to Gordon in the first half, I mean RIDICULOUS ones the NBA could mine for hype material. Those are the kinda highlights make people wanna tune in and I havent seen the NBA showing any of them. They just show random floaters and stuff during promos. Makes no sense to me.

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:30 PM
I dont understand why they havent been spamming Jokic’s career passing highlights in the promos. He honestly has so many RIDICULOUS passes, and Im not even talking about ‘sweet’ ones like that little flick to Gordon in the first half, I mean RIDICULOUS ones the NBA could mine for hype material. Those are the kinda highlights make people wanna tune in and I havent seen the NBA showing any of them. They just show random floaters and stuff during promos. Makes no sense to me.

it really is ridiculous. A lot of people genuinely think he’s boring when he has a ridiculous highlight reel. I could put something together 30 seconds long that would at least draw your eye.

Total mail in.

tpols
06-04-2023, 09:30 PM

Yolk makes so many great passes they sort of all blend in with each other.

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:32 PM
This is bullshit here

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2306050701540319.jpeg

Kblaze8855
06-04-2023, 09:33 PM
Yolk makes so many great passes they sort of all blend in with each other.

so did magic and Jason Kidd, but when it’s time to showcase them, they still put a reel together.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-04-2023, 09:38 PM
Honestly rather see teams like Lakers, GS, Phoenix, Boston, Philly, heck even the NY Knicks in the finals. If GS vs Philly right now, I would watch.

Chillin and grillin some bacon jalapeno poppers while idk whats playing on the television right now.

L.Kizzle
06-04-2023, 09:47 PM
Jokic is a 2 time MVP but not a marquee player and Jimmy Butler is neither.
This may be the lowest Finals since 2005 maybe.

kawhileonard2
06-04-2023, 09:48 PM

They weren't in any series since 2019.

SouBeachTalents
06-04-2023, 09:48 PM
Jokic is a 2 time MVP but not a marquee player and Jimmy Butler is neither.
This may be the lowest Finals since 2005 maybe.
The bubble Finals had the worst ratings of all time. I'd be shocked if these get worse than that.

kawhileonard2
06-04-2023, 09:51 PM
The bubble Finals had the worst ratings of all time. I'd be shocked if these get worse than that.

Yep and people were at home with nothing to do and it still had the worst ratings all time. It was like watching a pickup game.

SouBeachTalents
06-04-2023, 09:52 PM
Yep and people were at home with nothing to do and it still had the worst ratings all time. It was like watching a pickup game.
And Kawhi in Game 7 was like watching the special olympics.

1987_Lakers
06-04-2023, 09:59 PM
I get alot of 2005 Finals vibes so far. That series went 7 games, but I remember hearing jokes on how boring the first 4 games of that series were.

Wally450
06-04-2023, 09:59 PM
This is bullshit here

:lol

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-04-2023, 10:01 PM
This is bullshit here

Terrible marketing lol

I'd say its more about the matchup than anything else. Crowd could look more interested, but it is what it is.

WhiteKyrie
06-04-2023, 11:54 PM

Agreed but I’m a hardcore fan and I think Jokic game is absolutely hideous to watch. Even though I like Jimmy Butler but honestly his game doesn’t set eyes on fire either. Jamal Murray is actually probably the most physically entertaining player to watch in the series, tbh.

hold this L
06-04-2023, 11:55 PM
This is bullshit here

Why is the UI like a regular season game? :lol

1987_Lakers
06-04-2023, 11:55 PM
Agreed but I’m a hardcore fan and I think Jokic game is absolutely hideous to watch.

:biggums:

Axe
06-05-2023, 12:12 AM
This is bullshit here

@adam silver

RRR3
06-05-2023, 12:29 AM
Maybe the Lakers and Celtics shouldn't have played like shit :confusedshrug:

ILLsmak
06-05-2023, 12:34 AM
Why is the UI like a regular season game? :lol

This n*gga said ui. Ahaha. I prefer smaller stuff anyway, jus wanna see score/tos/bonus. Back when u has to turn on the game n wait til they flashed score. Don’t U wanna see more bball or u wanna see a fakn banner at bottom.

-Smak

eliteballer
06-05-2023, 01:37 AM
ABC/ESPN's coverage is just terrible in general.

NBC made the league feel like you were watching a Marvel movie.

How they have Van Gundy and Jackson as their #1 broadcast team is unbelievable.

Axe
06-05-2023, 02:43 AM
ABC/ESPN's coverage is just terrible in general.

NBC made the league feel like you were watching a Marvel movie.

How they have Van Gundy and Jackson as their #1 broadcast team is unbelievable.
⚫️⚫️⚫️

iamgine
06-05-2023, 03:57 AM
I mean it's Denver vs Miami.

Got some of the Spurs - Detroit vibe from back then. :lol

coin24
06-05-2023, 06:26 AM
Probably why the media is talking non stop about mordant and now with the Celtics and brown trades etc, no one gives a shit about these finals.

Miami hasn’t had many fans since bran left and no one at all gives a shit about the nuggets.
Casuals and even a lot of bball fans won’t be bothered watching..

Thank the media and wankers at LEspn for their non stop slurping of bran and no promotion of any other teams or players

ArbitraryWater
06-05-2023, 06:41 AM
This is bullshit here

I can do without the presented by YouTubeTV (its on the court now), but yeah, thats looking very bleek.. at least put the Finals slant there and the trophy.

Spurs m8
06-05-2023, 06:47 AM
Watching casuals cry and complain is hilarious

Watching shitty networks not give a fvck is just as sort of funny....

The shit media and the fans are pathetic...always have been

Now eat a d1ck

Axe
06-05-2023, 07:05 AM
I can do without the presented by YouTubeTV (its on the court now), but yeah, thats looking very bleek.. at least put the Finals slant there and the trophy.
The team ogos on god are missing too. It would have been amazing if they were displayed rt.

ArbitraryWater
06-05-2023, 07:50 AM
The team ogos on god are missing too. It would have been amazing if they were displayed rt.

true

Phoenix
06-05-2023, 10:59 AM
We talked about this in another thread, from a 'draw' perspective Denver/Miami is performing as predicted. The 'marquee' matchup ratings-wise was Lakers/Warriors a month ago. The NBA has never marketed Joker, and Butler isn't really a household name even playing in Miami, so good luck trying to bring in casuals at this point. The fan interest at the macro level mirrors the energy in how it's being presented.

Kblaze8855
06-05-2023, 11:09 AM
I see now that game 1 is the second lowest rated in history baaaaaaarely beating out the covid year. ABC can hardly be said to be swinging for the fences with its coverage. It’s like they just tapped out in advance.

Phoenix
06-05-2023, 12:40 PM
Thing is you can market Jokic in the same way you marketed Magic: a passing highlights package sprinkled with some of his better post moves, and mirror it against some of the older marquee names. Call him a Magic/Bird hybrid with a dash of McHale on the block or something since the casual knows those names.

But the NBA has become so scoring-centric that the notion of centering highlights around passing must seem foreign now, as well as marketing bigs in general when they've always leaned to perimeter guys as the face of the league at any given point.

I think it actually speaks to a bigger issue we've tapped into on this forum in the past. Who is the guy(s) to carry the torch when guys like Lebron and Curry retire? Your arguably 5 best players over the next half decade are Euros and/or bigs. As much as we troll on this forum about these guys, the NBA never had it easier in branding when MJ, Lebron and Kobe were the faces, and other than maybe Curry nobody presently is even remotely close to that level.

Dbrog
06-05-2023, 12:59 PM
Thing is you can market Jokic in the same way you marketed Magic: a passing highlights package sprinkled with some of his better post moves, and mirror it against some of the older marquee names. Call him a Magic/Bird hybrid with a dash of McHale on the block or something since the casual knows those names.

But the NBA has become so scoring-centric that the notion of centering highlights around passing must seem foreign now, as well as marketing bigs in general when they've always leaned to perimeter guys as the face of the league at any given point.

I think it actually speaks to a bigger issue we've tapped into on this forum in the past. Who is the guy(s) to carry the torch when guys like Lebron and Curry retire? Your arguably 5 best players over the next half decade are Euros and/or bigs. As much as we troll on this forum about these guys, the NBA never had it easier in branding when MJ, Lebron and Kobe were the faces, and other than maybe Curry nobody presently is even remotely close to that level.

There's a reason this all lines up with the Adam Silver era. Stern was a master at creating stars in a way that didn't feel artificial. Someone on here posted recently an interview where he was asked what would happen after MJ retired and he said something along the lines of "we already have people to carry the game" and listed off a bunch of dudes we DO call household names. Silver is just focused on points and ticky tack fouls that incentivize the players to create non-basketball moves. Should be very interesting to see where they try to go after Bron and Curry as you said

Phoenix
06-05-2023, 01:17 PM
There's a reason this all lines up with the Adam Silver era. Stern was a master at creating stars in a way that didn't feel artificial. Someone on here posted recently an interview where he was asked what would happen after MJ retired and he said something along the lines of "we already have people to carry the game" and listed off a bunch of dudes we DO call household names. Silver is just focused on points and ticky tack fouls that incentivize the players to create non-basketball moves. Should be very interesting to see where they try to go after Bron and Curry as you said

I'm wondering if they try to focus more on teams than individuals unless someone not on the immediate horizon steps up to the plate.

WhiteKyrie
06-05-2023, 02:40 PM
:biggums:

Yeah, his game is hideous. Goofy mannerisms and foot work. Ugly ass jumper. Somebody said it looks like he’s playing in sandals, and I couldn’t agree more. He throws some interesting passes from time to time but aesthetically his game is ugly as shit. He moves like a clown. Like a Joker, indeed. Apt name.

ShawkFactory
06-05-2023, 02:50 PM
I'm wondering if they try to focus more on teams than individuals unless someone not on the immediate horizon steps up to the plate.

Well there's a pretty huge guy coming in next year.

r15mohd
06-05-2023, 04:08 PM

he's intl, wont be the same hype...none of the foreigners get that high praise not matter how good they are IMO

Phoenix
06-05-2023, 04:37 PM

Yes but that goes back to my original point, the guys we're projecting at the top of the league for the next decade are mostly Non-Americans and I'm not sure how well the league can market them to North Americans. All the American big names like Lebron, Curry and KD will all likely be gone within 5 years, Zion is looking like he won't pan out due to inability to stay healthy, Ja is...well we see what's going on there. At present there's no Lebron/Kobe/Steph level American star that draws casuals, and the NBA has yet to show that it can market Giannis/Joker/Embiid/ Luka to that height. Tatum is good but he's not 'carry the league' good.