PDA

View Full Version : If Miami wins the title, is this the GOAT Cinderella story ever in sport?

iamgine
06-05-2023, 05:04 AM
...Due to the nature of NBA playoff.

There has been 'beating the odds' stories in sport like Douglas beating Tyson or 1980 US Hockey team. But those are usually one game event.

I guess there were the 2011 Mavs team but I think this eclipse that by a long mile.

Axe
06-05-2023, 05:06 AM
I think a bit far from it. When did the nuggets become heavy favorites during the season?

ImKobe
06-05-2023, 05:11 AM
I think a bit far from it. When did the nuggets become heavy favorites during the season?

Heat were +30000 to win the title heading into their 2nd Play-In game against Chicago apparently and +22333 at the start of the POs. They already beat the two teams with the highest odds going into this.

Some degen is going to make a lot of money if they do pull through and win this.

Xiao Yao You
06-05-2023, 05:14 AM

There has been 'beating the odds' stories in sport like Douglas beating Tyson or 1980 US Hockey team. But those are usually one game event.

I guess there were the 2011 Mavs team but I think this eclipse that by a long mile.

the 80 hockey team wasn't just one game. They weren't even expected to win a medal let alone defeat a team that was thought as unbeatable. Just getting to the medal round was a victory for them. Denver isn't thought of as unbeatable. You forgot the Jets over the Colts

Axe
06-05-2023, 05:25 AM
Heat were +30000 to win the title heading into their 2nd Play-In game against Chicago apparently and +22333 at the start of the POs. They already beat the two teams with the highest odds going into this.

Some degen is going to make a lot of money if they do pull through and win this.
Lol hoping you realize that wouldn't be the case at all if their rs record didn't suck balls which was basically the root cause why they're a play-in team that also made them 'huge underdogs' versus the top seeds in the league.

John8204
06-05-2023, 06:00 AM
For NBA...sure but in all sports...it's 1983 NC State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULsZhozMRQ

ArbitraryWater
06-05-2023, 06:40 AM
It really might be.

ImKobe
06-05-2023, 08:21 AM
Lol hoping you realize that wouldn't be the case at all if their rs record didn't suck balls which was basically the root cause why they're a play-in team that also made them 'huge underdogs' versus the top seeds in the league.

So what?

No HCA in any round
Lost their starting PG (20 ppg scorer and their best volume 3PT shooter) for the Playoffs in G1 of the 1st round, Oladipo injured and out as well
Butler injured to start the 2nd round
Vincent injured in the ECF
survived the Derrick White game with a road G7 win against the title favorites to make the Finals

I don't understand why you guys are so miserable and have to downplay everything. "Oh the Heat run actually isn't that special", gtfo lol.

Axe
06-05-2023, 08:28 AM
So what?

No HCA in any round
Lost their starting PG (20 ppg scorer and their best volume 3PT shooter) for the Playoffs in G1 of the 1st round, Oladipo injured and out as well
survived the Derrick White game with a road G7 win against the title favorites to make the Finals

I don't understand why you guys are so miserable and have to downplay everything. "Oh the Heat run actually isn't that special", gtfo lol.
Meltdown. And btw, we have seen you saying before that the 2020 eastern champs only had a fluke run at the title bt. :yaohappy:

Now go ahead and try moving the goalposts. That's why you and 3ball get along so well. :kobe:

SouBeachTalents
06-05-2023, 08:29 AM
On paper, due to being the 8 seed sure. But c’mon, this team was just in the Finals 3 years ago, and was the 1 seed just last year and came within literally one shot of making the Finals again. Beating the Knicks or even Celtics wasn’t even that surprising of a result, and we can’t pretend Giannis didn’t miss nearly 3 games in the first round. With any context, it really isn’t.

To me, the biggest Cinderella story will always be the 2007 Giants. For the NBA, I’d still say the 2011 Mavs.

Hey Yo
06-05-2023, 08:30 AM
the 80 hockey team wasn't just one game. They weren't even expected to win a medal let alone defeat a team that was thought as unbeatable. Just getting to the medal round was a victory for them. Denver isn't thought of as unbeatable. You forgot the Jets over the Colts

This

ImKobe
06-05-2023, 08:31 AM
Meltdown. And btw, we have seen you saying before that the 2020 eastern champs only had a fluke run at the title bt. :yaohappy:

Now go ahead and try moving the goalposts. That's why you and 3ball get along so well. :kobe:

It doesn't matter what it is. We're witnessing something historic here. Try to enjoy the game instead of trolling on a dying message board for once.

Axe
06-05-2023, 08:35 AM
It doesn't matter what it is. We're witnessing something historic here. Try to enjoy the game instead of trolling on a dying message board for once.
Lol witness my ass. What would you think of him once he goes 0-2 in the finals if ever his team lose three more games for the remainder of the series?

ImKobe
06-05-2023, 08:38 AM
Lol witness my ass. What would you think of him once he goes 0-2 in the finals if ever his team lose three more games for the remainder of the series?

This is the 2nd time in NBA history that the 8th seed has made the Finals, and they did it in a normal 82-game season and beat 2 legitimate title contenders already.

You seriously need to seek some mental help before it's too late for you. Maybe it already is? Idk.

Axe
06-05-2023, 08:42 AM
:facepalm

Like what was said above, they were the #1 seed last year that also made it to the ecf and the finals in the 2020 disney bubble. So obviously they're a lot better than their crappy rs record this year would suggest. And i thought rs don't matter that much to you guys anyways. :confusedshrug:

And they're not even the 8th seed at all if not for the freaking play-in. :lol

Hey Yo
06-05-2023, 08:45 AM
If Miami wins, it would surpass the 04 Pistons as the biggest upset in NBA finals history.

Wally450
06-05-2023, 08:51 AM
2015 Leicester City far and away.

BurningHammer
06-05-2023, 09:53 AM
2015 Leicester City far and away.

Considering they has just been demoted to Championship, hell yes. It is near-impossible in today's top soccer leagues.

It was the perfect storm; a combination of clever signings (Kante, Mahrez, etc), a late bloomer having an amazing season (Vardy), and all top teams being terrible at the same time. Their strategy ends up eventually causing the implosion this season but it was well worth it.

The closer comparisons in NBA probably are Kawhi's Raptors or Sheed's Pistons.

ILLsmak
06-06-2023, 12:01 AM

Ye so goat it’s near impossible.

Axe, it doesn’t matter how good the nuggets are tho they are playing well, nugs aren’t the only team they faced. It’s more about how Miami is a mid lvl playoff team and that’s with all their players. Right now, they are dog shit talent wise. By watching college bball u get to see talent differentials, in the nba finals, there should not be this level, but they already beat a bunch of teams.

Weak era but still def goat. Play in isn’t even 8seed. Even if they were seeded higher, they had to play extra gms which, again, looking back at college cuz that’s the only place it used to happen, does have an effect.

Edit: speaking only abt nba stuff.

-Smak

Heat_chips
06-06-2023, 12:14 AM
It will be to the media followers and casual fans who know nothing about the sport. But to the basketball purists this is just another stroll for the Heat.

The Heat have won 38 playoff games since 2020, by far the best in the league. Nobody else is close.

And like i said in another thread:

The Heat up and down are the top notch organization in their league. Like the Patriots were in the NFL when they dominated. Like the Steelers were with Roethlisberger where they were always in the thick of things, they were always respected as a force.

Seven finals appearances since 2006 for the Heat, that is first in the nba, Golden state has 6 finals appearances since 06 for 2nd.

The heat were one shot from the nba finals last season which would have been their 8th finals appearance in the last 17 years, and as the #1 seed last year.

The Heat are just consistently incredible.

MrFonzworth
06-06-2023, 12:22 AM
It will be to the media followers and casual fans who know nothing about the sport. But to the basketball purists this is just another stroll for the Heat.

The Heat have won 38 playoff games since 2020, by far the best in the league. Nobody else is close.

And like i said in another thread:

The Heat up and down are the top notch organization in their league. Like the Patriots were in the NFL when they dominated. Like the Steelers were with Roethlisberger where they were always in the thick of things, they were always respected as a force.

Seven finals appearances since 2006 for the Heat, that is first in the nba, Golden state has 6 finals appearances since 06 for 2nd.

The heat were one shot from the nba finals last season which would have been their 8th finals appearance in the last 17 years, and as the #1 seed last year.

The Heat are just consistently incredible.

Meltdown fakkit

Axe
06-06-2023, 12:23 AM
Holy. Copy-pasta. Crap.

:eek:

Axe
06-06-2023, 12:23 AM
Meltdown fakkit
:roll:

Heat_chips
06-06-2023, 12:30 AM
Meltdown fakkit

This Finals encompasses the Heat's previous finals to such a tee. Take for example 2006 when the 60-win Mavericks were heavily favored to beat the Heat in the finals. Dallas was led by a 7 foot white passing facilitator in Nowitzki who didn't play postup offense ( exactly like Jokic now), and everyone was calling for a sweep for the Mavericks. Well the Heat laid the gauntlet with great defense and efficiency on offense and beat the Mavs in 6.

Nowitzki simply wasnt ready to win it yet, needed more finals experience, just like Jokic now. All the greats like Hakeem Olajuwon said losing hard was necessary to win later.

Fast forward to 2011 when the Heat faced the Mavs again. The Heat led 1 game to 0 heading into game 2 at home, and just like last night in Denver with the Nuggets having a 15-point lead, the Heat had a 15-point lead in the 2nd half over the Mavs in the 2nd half of game 2. The Mavs came back on great shooting. The Heat were not the same after that crushing loss and lost 3 of the next 4 games in the series. Lebron and Bosh had to learn how to win together in their first go around, this prepared them to win the next two Finals in 2012 and 2013

It was Dirks time to win his title over the heat in 2011, along with a more experienced and savvy all around Mavs team. Jokic will have that opportunity in the future like Dirk did. Not this year however.

The Heat today have seven players with finals experience, the Nuggets just have one. And experience MATTERS at this big stage. The nuggets will have their chances in the future, jokic is still young. But this year is the heats year. It's that simple.

ILLsmak
06-06-2023, 12:30 AM
Meltdown fakkit

Get that alt outta here lool

Ps: not u in case ppl don’t get tone in text.

-Smak

iamgine
06-06-2023, 12:36 AM
Don't forget Heat also lost one of their main scorer/facilitator in Herro.

And1AllDay
06-06-2023, 09:42 AM
So what?

No HCA in any round

breathe pvssy :oldlol:

nineiron
06-06-2023, 09:44 AM
pretty sure the Mavs were a bigger underdog when LeChoke lost to JJ Barea.

RogueBorg
06-06-2023, 10:05 AM
This just goes to show how insignificant the NBA's regular season is today. Just have to get in and you have a shot. Miami is alot better than their record indicates. If they win the title they'll have knocked off the Eastern Conference's top 2 seeds and the top seed in the West.

nineiron
06-06-2023, 10:12 AM
This just goes to show how insignificant the NBA's regular season is today. Just have to get in and you have a shot. Miami is alot better than their record indicates. If they win the title they'll have knocked off the Eastern Conference's top 2 seeds and the top seed in the West.

it's called "choking". this is what guys like Tatum, J Brown, Harden and Embiid are good at doing. also, they don't have someone to rely on to close games.

LeChoke had Austin Reaves, but they probably didn't want to give him the spotlight even if it meant getting swept.

tontoz
06-06-2023, 10:30 AM
The Heat's success is definitely a slap in the face to the collusion teams. All these stars teaming up to get a ring and here are the Heat in the Finals with several undrafted guys playing big roles.

hold this L
06-06-2023, 11:29 AM
Leicester is the GOAT sports story, especially with how filthy football (soccer) is, in particular in the EPL. This could be up there, but Heat were also in the ECF last post season and in the finals 3 years ago. So they're not some totally random team. They also have one of the best coaches in NBA history. Spo is goated. :bowdown:

dazzer87
06-06-2023, 12:12 PM
Will be Heats greatest ring….

r15mohd
06-06-2023, 12:27 PM
Will be Heats greatest ring….

i dont think anything tops 2006 ring with Wade...this will be a fight for second along with 2013 ring. i do think the Celtics coming back from 3-0 and taking it to game 7 spoiled the party, even if we do win.

and to specifically answer the question - yes, it has everything to be the GOAT cinderella story. will it, no, becuase the Heat are always pushed to the side even though they've been one of the elite NBA team for the past 20ish years.

dazzer87
06-06-2023, 12:34 PM
i dont think anything tops 2006 ring with Wade...this will be a fight for second along with 2013 ring. i do think the Celtics coming back from 3-0 and taking it to game 7 spoiled the party, even if we do win.

and to specifically answer the question - yes, it has everything to be the GOAT cinderella story. will it, no, becuase the Heat are always pushed to the side even though they've been one of the elite NBA team for the past 20ish years.

The finals, where Wade got to shoot 96 freethrows? That one?

r15mohd
06-06-2023, 12:54 PM
The finals, where Wade got to shoot 96 freethrows? That one?

yup! pretty crazy that driver to the rim in Wade got calls and on the line - who would have ever thought that could be :lol