PDA

View Full Version : The Michael Jordan doesn't like his teammate George Gervin game

Lebron23
06-06-2023, 01:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RZva-mpAA

So it was Jerry Krause's first full year with the Chicago Bulls, and Michael Jordan's 2nd season. Remember, Michael Jordan had a negative history with George Gervin, dating back to the freeze-out situation, and Gervin's involvement with Isiah & Magic, among others. The old school players were jealous of MJ's popularity & rapid rise with endorsements. The bitter old guys. So, Michael & Gervin had history. So, naturally, what does Jerry Krause do? He acquires George Gervin to be Michael Jordan's teammate...

Jerry Krause had an unrealistic level of optimism about the move: ”We feel we have acquired a guy who is a future Hall of Famer,” Krause said. “He still has a lot left and we have solved a lot of problems in the backcourt with him.”

Michael Jordan said “I have no comment on the trade. Just say I am unhappy.”

And Jerry Krause foolishly said: "These guys will be alright."

Which led to Michael Jordan humiliating George Gervin in practice, and George Gervin said: "The son of a bitch is crazy," Gervin told Jeff Eisenband of The Post Game. "He played just as hard at practice as he did in the game. I'll never forget it, I'm at practice with him one time, I'm lackadaisical going through it and stuff. I say, 'Dang, young fella.' He said, 'Hey, old man, go sit down over there.' I sat down. I was done. He helped me understand I was done. You've only got so long to be on top. I was on top for about 12 years. You only have your turn. My turn was pretty much up. I retired after that."

So, Jerry Krause's poor decision making led to Michael Jordan retiring a legend, George Gervin, in practice. Oops.

This was the Chicago Bulls opening game of the season featuring a match-up against the Cleveland Cavaliers featuring Roy Hinson, John Bagley, World B. Free, Ron Anderson, and a bench that just caught fire in this contest. This game came down to the wire, and Michael Jordan put on a great show DESPITE losing important minutes to foul trouble! Enjoy!

Lebron23
06-06-2023, 01:10 AM
It's probably the reason why George Gervin doesn't think MJ is the Goat.

warriorfan
06-06-2023, 01:13 AM
:roll:

good story

SATAN
06-06-2023, 02:53 AM
It's probably the reason why George Gervin doesn't think MJ is the Goat.

He isn't.

Bawkish
06-06-2023, 03:26 AM
He isn't.

Unpopular opinion

RogueBorg
06-06-2023, 08:21 AM
I think scoring zero points in 2 games of the 1986 playoffs versus Boston was the final nail in his career.

HoopologyPhD
06-06-2023, 08:58 AM
MJ colder than the Iceman, much respect.:bowdown:

jlip
06-06-2023, 12:07 PM
I've always wondered what happened that season, because just the previous season Gervin was still avg. 21ppg on decent efficiency on a bottom tier playoff team. How did the Bulls use him in '86 especially after MJ went down with injury?