PDA

View Full Version : Supposedly his “camp” says it was a toy gun.

Kblaze8855
06-06-2023, 03:45 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2306070114350381.jpeg

Kblaze8855
06-06-2023, 03:46 PM
Suspension might jump from 30 to 50 just for leaking it.

SouBeachTalents
06-06-2023, 03:48 PM
That's just pathetic. They expect us to believe this wanna be gangsta was hanging out with his crew rocking a toy gun :lol

ShawkFactory
06-06-2023, 03:49 PM
Yea this is somehow worse. The message ends up being the same and it's not even real? Come on.

And the fact that they're trying to make it better while actually making it worse...makes it worse still.

SouBeachTalents
06-06-2023, 03:50 PM
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/05/17/04/71076013-0-image-a-53_1684293539089.jpg

No toy gun looks like that :lol They manufacture them now to look as fake and non threating as possible.

SaltyMeatballs
06-06-2023, 03:51 PM
Hell nah that wasn't a toy gun :oldlol:

But if it was then why even have a toy gun and then flash it like it was real? This guy wants to look tough and hard so bad

Kblaze8855
06-06-2023, 03:51 PM
Where do you get a realistic toy gun these days? I feel like society stopped producing those. Movie replicas?

Kblaze8855
06-06-2023, 03:52 PM
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/05/17/04/71076013-0-image-a-53_1684293539089.jpg

No toy gun looks like that :lol They manufacture them now to look as fake and non threating as possible.

Beat me to it.

I wouldn’t know where to look for that. Well I’m sure Google would tell me where to order it but do they exist in stores?

Axe
06-06-2023, 03:53 PM
And we have a pathetic redneck jizzrag here totally simping for him. Lmao what a douche. :roll:

ShawkFactory
06-06-2023, 03:54 PM

Yea I think it's illegal for a toy gun not to have the orange tip.

Axe
06-06-2023, 03:57 PM
Even toy guns are prohibited in airports. I wonder if this cocky prick really had the audacity to bring one there.

elementally morale
06-06-2023, 04:01 PM
Even if it was a toy gun, the message is the same. I can't really see the difference.

Overdrive
06-06-2023, 04:09 PM
Yea I think it's illegal for a toy gun not to have the orange tip.

Wanted to ask about that. Wasn't sure iirc about that fact.

Im Still Ballin
06-06-2023, 04:11 PM
Skewer this fool until he grows up and falls in line. No Mercy, Adam!

Duffy Pratt
06-06-2023, 04:21 PM
Took me about 15 seconds to find this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166141114377

Not sure it matters. The only question is not the reality of the gun but the NBAs disapproval of the image projected (and by extension, it’s disapproval of a sizable portion of its own audience.)

Patrick Chewing
06-06-2023, 04:24 PM
Toy gun?? :roll:

That's a Glock in his hands. Why would anyone walk around with a toy gun??

30-50 games? Silver is a disappointment.

SouBeachTalents
06-06-2023, 04:41 PM
Took me about 15 seconds to find this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166141114377

Not sure it matters. The only question is not the reality of the gun but the NBAs disapproval of the image projected (and by extension, it’s disapproval of a sizable portion of its own audience.)
Bro, you realize that's a keychain :lol

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/LwsAAOSwonZkeIPu/s-l500.jpg

warriorfan
06-07-2023, 02:15 AM

Lebron23 size

Duffy Pratt
06-07-2023, 03:31 AM

LOL. Like I said, I searched quick and just looked at the first picture. How bout this (another 30 seconds):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285303422209

bdonovan
06-07-2023, 04:57 AM
The NBA:

Jokic blindside tackles another player, throwing all 280 lbs into him, causing a serious neck injury and injuring him for 4 months. Jokic is not fined; the player he injured for 4 months Is Fined. 1 day suspension.

Also the NBA:

Off the court, a player flashes a toy gun, harming no one, legal even if a real gun given the 2nd amendment. 30 day suspension.

iamgine
06-07-2023, 05:20 AM
A toy gun doesn't make anything better because that's not what the suspension is about. Gilbert Arenas was suspended for using his finger to imitate a gun.

coin24
06-07-2023, 07:26 AM
What kind of an adult man waves a toy gun around singing in his car with his boyfriend?:lol

Ban this idiot for the season already

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 07:45 AM
Arenas was suspended for bringing at least three guns to an NBA game. He brought a literal bag of guns from home to the locker room. He was charged by DC for possession.

Arenas claimed later Stern and Silver told him to just take the suspension(50 games) and not to fight it with the union or they would try for his whole contract despite the fact guns in the locker room had quietly been a 1-2 game suspension in the past.

Thats one element people seem to ignore. Ja is in a union. People want him gone for a year or more for breaking no laws and literally just being on film with a gun with isn’t either illegal or against nba rules when you aren’t working or traveling with the team.

It’s purely a “Bad look” situation and he could fight something he didn’t accept through the union. With todays politics? I don’t know if he’d lose in every court. I bet the Supreme Court as it is currently would take his side. You think the nba wants to actually have this fight? They want to give him enough of a punishment that it seems severe, but not severe enough that he feels a need to take legal action.

Kicking a player out of the league for legal activity on camera while many others have had similar activity minus the music and dancing around? I don’t know how well “But he was being a douche at the time” holds up in court when his lawyers show 88 times other players had a gun in a photo or video with no consequences. Whatever you feel about it personally, you have to know these things are decided behind the scenes between lawyers and representatives. There comes a point when a punishment would lead to resistance, and both sides would want to stay below that threshold because you never know what happens once you get arbitrators and courts involved.

Easiest option is something he can live with. You go after his contract 5 of the best lawyers in America would call him before the press conference ended. You might well have both the ACLU and conservatives on his side for aspects of it.

This story goes away if it’s some partial season suspension. Make it bad enough he has to sue. It’s the story for 2 years.

sbw19
06-07-2023, 07:48 AM
So he wasn't flashing a real gun because he can't help himself, but rather he was trolling Adam Silver with a toy gun because hey, why not?

ShawkFactory
06-07-2023, 12:57 PM
The NBA:

Jokic blindside tackles another player, throwing all 280 lbs into him, causing a serious neck injury and injuring him for 4 months. Jokic is not fined; the player he injured for 4 months Is Fined. 1 day suspension.

Also the NBA:

Off the court, a player flashes a toy gun, harming no one, legal even if a real gun given the 2nd amendment. 30 day suspension.

Shiiiiit you really have it out for Jokic.

Why do I get the feeling that if the roles were reversed and Jokic made a dirty lunge at Morris and got pushed after you’d be saying he got what he deserved. What…could…it BE!

:roll:

Wardell Curry
06-07-2023, 01:08 PM
Kicking a player out of the league for legal activity on camera while many others have had similar activity minus the music and dancing around?

First of all, he's not getting kicked out of the league. Secondly, it's not about legal or illegal. Entertain my ridiculous hypothetical. Let's say Kevin Love or Kobe Bryant went around and ****ed the wives of all 30 owners. You think that those guys would have still been in the league?

Perfectly legal for those guys to do that but they're still getting the boot. In fact, we saw this with some Udoka and whoever he was ****ing on the Celtics last year or whatever.

RogueBorg
06-07-2023, 01:27 PM
Lebron23 size

bdonovan
06-07-2023, 01:35 PM
Shiiiiit you really have it out for Jokic.

Why do I get the feeling that if the roles were reversed and Jokic made a dirty lunge at Morris and got pushed after you’d be saying he got what he deserved. What…could…it BE!

Making an argument about the arbitrariness of NBA's suspensions of a toy-gun versus causing an injury. Just shows their criteria is the business health of the NBA, not necessarily the players or applying some fixed moral standard.

90sgoat
06-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Kicking a player out of the league for legal activity on camera while many others have had similar activity minus the music and dancing around?

Of course he shouldn't be kicked out. He is subject to a homophobic campaign from Adam Silver.

ShawkFactory
06-07-2023, 01:50 PM
Making an argument about the arbitrariness of NBA's suspensions of a toy-gun versus causing an injury. Just shows their criteria is the business health of the NBA, not necessarily the players or applying some fixed moral standard.

The end result months later doesn't have anything to do with the punishment. Morris made a dirty play on Jokic and Jokic shoved him. One game suspension is pretty reasonable.

The fact that he was still hurt 4 months later wasn't factored into the suspension.

Patrick Chewing
06-07-2023, 01:55 PM
I'm sure if Jokic would have flashed a gun in Morris's direction while on the court, he would have had an equal suspension to whatever Morant is about to get.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 01:58 PM
First of all, he's not getting kicked out of the league..

Thats my point.

They wouldn’t be dumb enough to bring on that lawsuit and attention. Whatever he gets will be acceptable by both sides.

FultzNationRISE
06-07-2023, 02:10 PM
Thats my point.

They wouldn’t be dumb enough to bring on that lawsuit and attention. Whatever he gets will be acceptable by both sides.

Why would they fear a lawsuit? (Im not saying they WILL ban him, just that they have nothing to fear if they do)

College basketball star and wannabe thug Darius Miles just caught a homicide charge a couple months ago.

Aaron Hernandez was posting tough-guy gun selfies and ended up committing murder.

The NBA isnt obligated to risk that kind of PR nightmare.

Morant is already on his third strike in a calendar year. He was told to tone down the violent image after his crew pointed a laser scope at arena security. He IMMEDIATELY posted a pic of himself brandishing a handgun at a nightclub. Got a short suspension and IMMEDIATELY did the same thing again :roll:

I personally dont care what he does on his own time, but the league would clearly be justified in booting him. Employers have sacked people for insensitive tweets. They can definitely throw Ja out for REPEATEDLY disregarding the NBA's requests to be image conscious.

iamgine
06-07-2023, 02:42 PM
Even if the NBA overreact and banned him permanently, what's he gonna sue for? The most NBA has to pay is his remaining contract.

Remember Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 03:51 PM
I personally dont care what he does on his own time, but the league would clearly be justified in booting him. Employers have sacked people for insensitive tweets. They can definitely throw Ja out for REPEATEDLY disregarding the NBA's requests to be image conscious.

It’s already been reported the league had to negotiate the punishment with the union. Why do you think that is?

Just tell me that. Why you think the nba has to sit down and work out something with the union to do this.

Wardell Curry
06-07-2023, 03:55 PM
It’s already been reported the league had to negotiate the punishment with the union. Why do you think that is?

Just tell me that. Why you think the nba has to sit down and work out something with the union to do this.

Because Adam Silver is a *****?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEJwGioM4Q

FultzNationRISE
06-07-2023, 03:56 PM

As an act of good faith and relations with the union.

Not in fear of losing a lawsuit.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 04:00 PM
Because Adam Silver is a *****?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEJwGioM4Q

Stern gave a 7 game suspension for shooting during a fight outside a strip club for a player who was already on probation and had previously been suspended for fighting fans.

The Silver suspensions have actually been tougher than Sterns outside the 80s drug policy ones.

FultzNationRISE
06-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Actually, I take that back.

Maybe they are afraid to LOSE a lawsuit.

There would be absolutely no legitimate grounds on which to lose it, but counting on a jury full of average joe’s to reach a logical decision is a mammoth risk.

So perhaps the NBA does have to tread carefully. Even if, in a sane world, they oughtn’t need to.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 04:09 PM
As an act of good faith and relations with the union.

Not in fear of losing a lawsuit.

And what does a union do when you don’t take that step and get their approval?

I’ll help you out. Google the term “grievance arbitrator” and read about Jermaine O’Neal suing the nba and getting Sterns 25 game suspension for the malice in the palace overturned in federal court.

Despite fans opinion otherwise the nba can’t just do what it wants punishment wise. They can and do lose in court. And that was for punching a fan on camera AT a game.

You think the nba wants to deal with a court the union would hand pick to get the judge they want? About a punishment for entirely legal conduct away from the league on a players own time when the same conduct(legally speaking ) has gone unpunished many times? It’s a lawyers dream.

The nba has a thousand lawyers. I promise you they weighed in. This isn’t Adam silver being tough or not. It’s league lawyers negotiating with union lawyers for something they can all live with.

FultzNationRISE
06-07-2023, 04:27 PM
And what does a union do when you don’t take that step and get their approval?

I’ll help you out. Google the term “grievance arbitrator” and read about Jermaine O’Neal suing the nba and getting Sterns 25 game suspension for the malice in the palace overturned in federal court.

Despite fans opinion otherwise the nba can’t just do what it wants punishment wise. They can and do lose in court. And that was for punching a fan on camera AT a game.

You think the nba wants to deal with a court the union would hand pick to get the judge they want? About a punishment for entirely legal conduct away from the league on a players own time when the same conduct(legally speaking ) has gone unpunished many times? It’s a lawyers dream.

The nba has a thousand lawyers. I promise you they weighed in. This isn’t Adam silver being tough or not. It’s league lawyers negotiating with union lawyers for something they can all live with.

Im sure the NBA doesnt want to can him permanently anyway, I never expected they would Im just responding to something that got suggested. The league would obviously rather have star players playing in the long run. Just that legally they SHOULD have every right to cut ties if they wish. But youre right, arbitration and/or juries are no guarantee of a logical result. So it makes sense to meet with the union and figure out their position, if you can find an agreement with them it gives the player less weight in a potential lawsuit thereafter.

TheMan
06-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Lebron23 size
:oldlol:

Lakers Legend#32
06-07-2023, 04:42 PM
Don't believe this was a toy for one second.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Im sure the NBA doesnt want to can him permanently anyway, I never expected they would Im just responding to something that got suggested. The league would obviously rather have star players playing in the long run. Just that legally they SHOULD have every right to cut ties if they wish. But youre right, arbitration and/or juries are no guarantee of a logical result. So it makes sense to meet with the union and figure out their position, if you can find an agreement with them it gives the player less weight in a potential lawsuit thereafter.

that’s exactly the reason. I can’t believe sometimes how emotional people get with these things and just leave their common sense at the door. All this ridiculous tough talk like a lawsuit isn’t guaranteed if they go too far. They know it the union knows it Ja knows it. Punishments like this need to be agreed to for everyone’s best interest.

i’m just surprised how many people especially conservatives and libertarians seem in favor of a stiff penalty. They will obviously be open to a legal challenge. Getting fired for gun possession as a member of a union when other members of your union have also been shown to possess guns and have it recorded and on the Internet? What would the legal argument be for it being such a different situation? Listening to rap music during the video? Exactly how he was holding the gun? I promise you the day this came out Lawyers on both sides were squirming because this is an incredibly obvious lawsuit that you could easily win with the right judge or jury. It would be a federal issue, but let’s just think for a moment about a jury of peers pulled out of Memphis. it would be a combination of black Ja Morant fans(Memphis 64% black) and southern white conservatives who are probably very pro gun.

do you think the NBA wants to deal with that? Or that the NBA wants to deal with a hand-picked District Court or even worse to go to the Supreme Court on the anti-gun side of an argument with those justices? Hell you might get one or two of the liberal branch who thinks they overstepped their authority.

it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks the NBA should be able to do. They have a collectively bargained discipline process, and the union has a lot of ways to fight what it would no doubt see as a massive overreach. It will be an absolute PR nightmare to give him a sentence he did not agree with in advance.

this is why players tend to come out, understanding after suspensions. They agreed to them in advance. Go read what Stephen Jackson had to say about his seven games after shooting up the outside of a club. He couldn’t have been more understanding and respectful of the process.

It’s all a show for the public. Nobody is that upset. They figure out what they can all live with and then the public goes crazy on both sides. Just wait. Even if he suspended 50 games you’re going to see more people talking about he should’ve been banned or it should’ve been a year just like we already have on here. Those people just feel completely clueless about the world. Push too hard this moves from sports news THE news and it stays there. The NBA does not want that.

BarberSchool
06-07-2023, 05:15 PM
I wonder if they’re stupid enough to think anyone believes them ?

Any sensible person would know nobody believes that excuse.

FultzNationRISE
06-07-2023, 05:20 PM
iÂ’m just surprised how many people especially conservatives and libertarians seem in favor of a stiff penalty. They will obviously be open to a legal challenge. Getting fired for gun possession as a member of a union when other members of your union have also been shown to possess guns and have it recorded and on the Internet? What would the legal argument be for it being such a different situation? Listening to rap music during the video? Exactly how he was holding the gun? I promise you the day this came out Lawyers on both sides were squirming because this is an incredibly obvious lawsuit that you could easily win with the right judge or jury. It would be a federal issue, but letÂ’s just think for a moment about a jury of peers pulled out of Memphis. it would be a combination of black Ja Morant fans(Memphis 64% black) and southern white conservatives who are probably very pro gun.

do you think the NBA wants to deal with that? Or that the NBA wants to deal with a hand-picked District Court or even worse to go to the Supreme Court on the anti-gun side of an argument with those justices? Hell you might get one or two of the liberal branch who thinks they overstepped their authority.

it doesnÂ’t matter what anybody thinks the NBA should be able to do. They have a collectively bargained discipline process, and the union has a lot of ways to fight what it would no doubt see as a massive overreach. It will be an absolute PR nightmare to give him a sentence he did not agree with in advance.

this is why players tend to come out, understanding after suspensions. They agreed to them in advance. Go read what Stephen Jackson had to say about his seven games after shooting up the outside of a club. He couldnÂ’t have been more understanding and respectful of the process.

ItÂ’s all a show for the public. Nobody is that upset. They figure out what they can all live with and then the public goes crazy on both sides. Just wait. Even if he suspended 50 games youÂ’re going to see more people talking about he shouldÂ’ve been banned or it shouldÂ’ve been a year just like we already have on here. Those people just feel completely clueless about the world. Push too hard this moves from sports news THE news and it stays there. The NBA does not want that.

I doubt those people want a penalty for the gun, but rather a penalty for the conduct.

Acting like the cultural context is equivalent between chris kaman or karl malone going hunting with a rifle vs ja morant flashing a pistol in the club or ridin dirty around the hood is completely disingenuous. The perception AND statistical reality of violence corresponding to each culture is completely different.

You can support the right to something without personally approving of every single way someone could use it. I could support the availability of prescription drugs and still condemn the abuse of them. I think a lot of people see Morant as reflecting everything a responsible gun owner is not.

And I dont mean me personally. I really dont care.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 05:34 PM
Acting like the cultural context wouldn’t lose a legal argument that hinges on collectively, bargained discipline, and the precedent of absolutely no punishment seems a lot more disingenuous to me. You seem to try to be a realist. Think it through for a moment. That argument loses everywhere but the court of feelings.

Please try in 2023 to explain that the difference between two people in the same union, holding guns on video outside work is one of them listening to rap music at the time, and acting like what you consider ghetto. Pull that one in a grievance arbitration or federal court. You better hope the state finds some kind of wrongdoing or not only would he win you would probably get clowned. There is absolutely no way the NBA want this in any court. “That’s different tho” doesn’t mean shit in a court of law. Explain how it’s legally different or get your league embarrassed.

The NBA isn’t this stupid. They talk to the union and work these things out because it is a losing battle outside the realm of feelings.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
06-07-2023, 05:43 PM
Those toy bb/pellet guns look like the real ones back in the days. There heavy and you can ****-it-back, pull the trigger and it sounds like a gun(without the bullet). Even pushing in the ammo cartridge, the click sounds it makes. What gives it away is if you look at the front of the gun, the barrel, it would be tiny.

FultzNationRISE
06-07-2023, 06:10 PM
Acting like the cultural context wouldn’t lose a legal argument that hinges on collectively, bargained discipline, and the precedent of absolutely no punishment seems a lot more disingenuous to me. You seem to try to be a realist. Think it through for a moment. That argument loses everywhere but the court of feelings.

Please try in 2023 to explain that the difference between two people in the same union, holding guns on video outside work is one of them listening to rap music at the time, and acting like what you consider ghetto. Pull that one in a grievance arbitration or federal court. You better hope the state finds some kind of wrongdoing or not only would he win you would probably get clowned. There is absolutely no way the NBA want this in any court. “That’s different tho” doesn’t mean shit in a court of law. Explain how it’s legally different or get your league embarrassed.

The NBA isn’t this stupid. They talk to the union and work these things out because it is a losing battle outside the realm of feelings.

Rifles are used for hunting. They are a hobby.

What use is waving a handgun around in a club or in a car? There is no intelligent, believable answer except “trying to look gangsta.”

Most of the NBA’s viewer base contextualizes these differently because they are different. A nobody like Chris Kaman posing with his gear before a hunting trip is nowhere near the level of reckless disregard for public image as a superstar like Ja Morant REPEATEDLY flashing pistols in public just after he made headlines for putting red beams on security personnel.

Theyre completely different with regard to public image, and public image is the NBA’s bottom line. If the NBA doesnt want to risk getting Darius Miles’d or Aaron Hernandez’d, they are more than justified RATIONALLY in cutting ties with the guy at this point.

But they know rational has nothing to do with anything jurors or arbitrators may do.

Kblaze8855
06-07-2023, 06:32 PM
The players union lawyers hearing that’s your plan going into federal court:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ScaredPhonyApisdorsatalaboriosa-size_restricted.gif

Chops licked. Thoroughly.

The nbas lawyers are a lot smarter than to let it get there.

tpols
06-07-2023, 06:59 PM
So... it was just a prank bro?

tpols
06-07-2023, 07:02 PM
The players union lawyers hearing that’s your plan going into federal court:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ScaredPhonyApisdorsatalaboriosa-size_restricted.gif

Chops licked. Thoroughly.

The nbas lawyers are a lot smarter than to let it get there.

That's only because the illogical "it's racist doe!" argument works very well in today's society even when it defies conventional logic. Everybody knows the difference between a guy on a hunting trip or at the range is different than flashing guns in the club parking lot.