PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of NBA Live - What Happened?

1987_Lakers
06-10-2023, 01:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFo6Oeqmp6I

Amazing vid

1987_Lakers
06-10-2023, 01:14 AM
Does anyone remember the Bynum Jesus vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30

If memory serves correct, this was a demo, the vid blew up and they decided to not release the game.

warriorfan
06-10-2023, 01:22 AM
nba live the video game?

nba 2k came out and it was a million times better. we used to be on that big time back in the day. havnt played for awhile though

nba2k12 thunder was the sleeper best team. everyone online would pick the heat but thunder were better in the game. westbrook and KD midrange all day. they were legit

the best house rules were each person would get 3 random team selections and you get to pick one out of them. mixed it up way more and would get you to use all the teams and play different matchups

1987_Lakers
06-10-2023, 01:31 AM
nba live the video game?

nba 2k came out and it was a million times better.

Not necessary, NBA Live was beating out 2k for years up until 2008 or so. Once 2k11 came out it was pretty much over for Live.

warriorfan
06-10-2023, 01:36 AM
Not necessary, NBA Live was beating out 2k for years up until 2008 or so. Once 2k11 came out it was pretty much over for Live.

To be honest I don’t think I played NBA Live much. Maybe a few of the early 2000 ones. I think we started playing 2K around 2009. But it was way better. Could have just been that we didn’t play some of the more recent Live games. But 2K was pretty legit. Maybe I’ll get a copy when next years game comes out.

SATAN
06-10-2023, 04:35 AM
2k is pretty terrible in terms of the grind, micro transactions etc. Can't believe Live haven't adjusted and capitalized on the opportunity. Most people who play NBA2k admit the company is ****ing terrible.

ILLsmak
06-10-2023, 04:50 AM
Man, I been playing bball video games since live 95. Well 5v5 ones. With team play and shit it’s nuts. Nba live is trash at all the other shit 2k has in their game, like dude said 2k11 was when Mj was in a video game, on live dude was roster player haha.

But for game play especially competitive, live had a lot going for it. Much more about stick skills. It’s a game I miss, I played their last shit, even online. Was killin. 2k is cool, but it’s so toxic and people are bad. They know how to do one thing then start raging when they can’t.

Nba live is a meme cuz elite failure, but their last two games were legit. Def better for esports than 2k. 2k decides “u can’t do that” but live doesn’t. If you can’t do it in live, you messed up. The game didn’t ho you.

2k is one of the top sellers plus micros. Who woulda thunk. So u got all these bummies. Ea got real dudes who are holding their baby and playing haha. That’s how u know u on live team play, someone has open mic w loud ass kids crying in background.

But at least the ppl aren’t hhhomos. Even nhl game for ea was ok cuz it was much less toxic and easier to get in a game than 2k. And I don’t like hockey really.

Live is designed to be played. 2k is designed to be watched. But 2k is getting better about it.

-Smak

SATAN
06-10-2023, 04:58 AM
Anyone play MLB The Show? I've been intrigued for a while but haven't pulled the trigger.

Phoenix
06-10-2023, 05:27 AM
There was a point when I was either buying both or even skipped 2k in favor of live. I used to love the dunk and 3 point contests in entries like Live 05 and 06. We're overdue for a new competitor to 2k. Hell remember both Sony and Xbox had their own NBA games at one point, Sony had Shootout and I forget the Xbox one. Konami had In the Zone...there were several choices at one point. Shit remember Kobes game, NBA Courtside on N64 and Gamecube?

What I really miss are the arcade style basketball games like NBA Jam and Street.. 2k came out with that Playgrounds game as homage to the aforementioned but lacked the gameplay and style.

Axe
06-10-2023, 07:13 AM
Two words: electronic arts

Having that said, nba live 09 had one of the best soundtracks in the series.

90sgoat
06-10-2023, 08:05 AM
2k is pretty terrible in terms of the grind, micro transactions etc. Can't believe Live haven't adjusted and capitalized on the opportunity. Most people who play NBA2k admit the company is ****ing terrible.

This.

The online game is completely unplayable as a casual, who just want to have fun playing ball. It's only catered to kids buying cards and spamming exploits. It's not fun at all. They desperately need to make a casual mode where teams are evenly matched and exploits are nerfed.

Also the last version was worse than previous versions. Clunkier and not as fast and fun. I always liked playing the historical teams and racing down the court with some 1960s player.

90sgoat
06-10-2023, 08:06 AM
This game was the bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_N7CGVD2bI

theman93
06-10-2023, 09:50 AM
NBA Live 2003 will forever be the GOAT

1987_Lakers
06-10-2023, 10:07 AM

I loved that game, Very arcade like. Little defense in that game, but still fun.

A few months later EA also released NBA Street Vol 2. which is considered one of the best basketball games ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_Wmj-8o38

These were also the days when Madden were still great football games. EA was at its peak at this time.

Wally450
06-10-2023, 10:33 AM
EA, EA is the problem. Look at Madden. Absolute shit game now.

meat
06-10-2023, 11:09 AM
I loved NBA Live 93. I'd play with the Warriors. RUN TMC plus Billy Owens and Chris Gatling? Cant remember but that should have been a better team

tpols
06-10-2023, 11:21 AM
I played NBA live as a kid and it was cool but 2k took it to the next level. 2K16 is the only time I played online and once you reach elite rank you got to play with "classic" teams like the 1991 Bulls and other great teams.

My favorite moment was this one time I was facing a really elite player who was playing with the lowly ranked Timberwolves and I was playing with MJ and the 1991 Bulls. He was still whooping my ass and I was down like 8 in the 4th quarter, came back, and down 1 point hit a buzzer beater with MJ in the same exact spot he beat the Jazz on. On game winners it would go into slow motion on the shot and I still remember that shit. :lol

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x3wAAOSwNLZhCHnp/s-l1600.jpg

L.Kizzle
06-10-2023, 11:27 AM
I remember playing Live in the 90s but once the 2000s hit, ne and my homies was on 2K.

1987_Lakers
06-10-2023, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURWXJbZ2cc&t

HoopsNY
06-10-2023, 05:11 PM
This game was the bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_N7CGVD2bI

I always loved doing the fadeaway threes in this game. And is it me or was Stockton and Hornacek automatic in this game? Good times man.

HoopsNY
06-10-2023, 05:12 PM
I loved NBA Live 93. I'd play with the Warriors. RUN TMC plus Billy Owens and Chris Gatling? Cant remember but that should have been a better team

Do you remember NBA Showdown '94? I hated that game, lol.

ILLsmak
06-10-2023, 05:15 PM
If u dudes actually had hand eye coordination, I mite run w u on PlayStation haha. Online team play, if u take away the aids of randomz, is amazing for bball heads. You don’t even have to be good just know bball a lil.

They shut down live servers p sure tho. Cuz I was about to get on a year or so ago n see wuzup.

Edit: I could hit 3s w anyone in live 95 and if u threw oops u could potentially get muggsy to dunk. Haha.

-Smak

90sgoat
06-10-2023, 06:17 PM
I always loved doing the fadeaway threes in this game. And is it me or was Stockton and Hornacek automatic in this game? Good times man.

Dell Curry too.

Me and my brother played with the Mugsy / Mourning / LJ Hornets, I think it might have been the 95 game. Co-op play, it was a lot of fun.

97 bulls
06-10-2023, 07:19 PM
To answer the question. At one point, 2K began selling their basketball and football games for $19.99. As opposed to EA Sports price of $39.99. People took a chance on it. And for about 3 years they did this. Eventually, 2K not only gained popularity, but also an allegiance. So much that people stopped buying Live altogether. Then, once they got a following, they raised their price back up again.

diamenz
06-10-2023, 07:30 PM
any of you scrubs that play park/online are part of the problem. you all are the reason the 5v5 offline sim aspect never makes any significant strides. scrub ass n199@s man. buying kicks online n' shit.

diamenz
06-10-2023, 07:34 PM

yet they continue to buy it every year like clockwork. :hammerhead:

SATAN
06-10-2023, 10:51 PM
yet they continue to buy it every year like clockwork. :hammerhead:

Yep. I'm still playing 2k19 MyCareer lol.

90sgoat
06-11-2023, 09:31 AM
Do you remember NBA Showdown '94? I hated that game, lol.

I think I played the 1999 version on N64?

It had Hakeem on Raptors.

It was kind of playing co-op but it wasn't very good.

1987_Lakers
06-11-2023, 03:24 PM
Switching sports. Who remembers this game? I remember people watching me play it as a kid laughing their asses off for how violent it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WyP7RWw8Nc

Axe
06-11-2023, 05:06 PM
For the older consoles, i think so coach.

BarberSchool
06-11-2023, 09:20 PM
Live, 2k (except 2k Playgrounds), NCAA, ESPN and all the “realistic” basketball games, even the newest better animated versions … just lack any really dope character or gameplay.

1. PS3 NBA JAM ON FIRE EDITION

2. NBA JAM Wii

3. NBA STREET Vol.2

4. NBA STREET V3

5. NBA STREET SHOWDOWN

6. NBA STREET 1

7. NBA JAM (90’s arcade)

Those are the best NBA video games I’ve ever played, as far as dope character, gameplay, animation, and soundtrack.

1987_Lakers
06-11-2023, 09:39 PM
Live, 2k (except 2k Playgrounds), NCAA, ESPN and all the “realistic” basketball games, even the newest better animated versions … just lack any really dope character or gameplay.

2. NBA JAM Wii

3. NBA STREET Vol.2

4. NBA STREET V3

5. NBA STREET SHOWDOWN

6. NBA STREET 1

7. NBA JAM (90’s arcade)

Those are the best NBA video games I’ve ever played, as far as dope character, gameplay, animation, and soundtrack.

My top 3 are probably

1. NBA Street Vol 2
2. NBA 2K11/2K12
3. NBA Live 2003

NBA 2k11 should probably objectively be #1, but I played NBA Street when I was younger on the PS2, video games are just funner when you are a kid.

1987_Lakers
06-11-2023, 09:41 PM
NFL Street was pretty fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yh0OLOpGOg

Shaquille O'Neal
06-11-2023, 09:51 PM
What was the game that was a demo when the PS3 was released in 2006? You could play the Mavs or the Heat. That game was ok. Hard to believe Haslem just turned 43 - I wonder if they'll spin him up for the elimination game tomorrow night?
I'm old, so I played some NBA Magic v. Bird or something on Nintendo in the late 1980's.

Phoenix
06-12-2023, 09:45 AM
To answer the question. At one point, 2K began selling their basketball and football games for $19.99. As opposed to EA Sports price of $39.99. People took a chance on it. And for about 3 years they did this. Eventually, 2K not only gained popularity, but also an allegiance. So much that people stopped buying Live altogether. Then, once they got a following, they raised their price back up again.

I remember that, that was in 2005 I think. If memory serves that was the last year they produced an NFL game which by various accounts( stopped playing football games after like Madden 02), it was a goat-tier game of the genre and Madden has been going dowhill since( not surprising as there's no competition to keep them honest). Which at this point has also happened with NBA2k.

Phoenix
06-12-2023, 09:47 AM

2. NBA JAM Wii

3. NBA STREET Vol.2

4. NBA STREET V3

5. NBA STREET SHOWDOWN

6. NBA STREET 1

7. NBA JAM (90’s arcade)

This. These are the games that hold up the best as they were never rooted in reality to begin with. I would say the same for most of the 'arcade' takes on the major sports. Like I said earlier, they need to make a new NBA game. The last time they made one Lebron had just joined the Heat lol. We've had like a whole generation of superstars enter the league since then.

BarberSchool
06-12-2023, 12:57 PM
I played NBA Street when I was younger on the PS2, video games are just funner when you are a kid.Word.
It’s a real testament to the timeless quality of any game, if you can still enjoy it once you’re a grown up.

Chess
Basketball
9-ball Billiards
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Saturn Bomberman
TETRIS 99
Mario Kart 8
NBA JAM ON FIRE EDITION

Some games just have eternal appeal.

BarberSchool
06-12-2023, 01:00 PM
This. These are the games that hold up the best as they were never rooted in reality to begin with. I would say the same for most of the 'arcade' takes on the major sports. Like I said earlier, they need to make a new NBA game. The last time they made one Lebron had just joined the Heat lol. We've had like a whole generation of superstars enter the league since then.
Co-sign.

Same goes for racing games, the “arcade-y” unrealistic ones and kart racers are just way more fun.

We definitely need another new basketball game not rooted in reality, but rooted in a fun, 2v2, 3v3 “arcade-y” cartoonish world. But with all the all time NBA talent licensed for the all time rosters. Somethihg that evolves another step from just an “all time roster” NBA JAM, if possible.

Smook A.
06-12-2023, 05:01 PM
2k's been better since 2008 but what annoys me about it is that it's a GRIND to level up your player in MyCareer mode. In 2k23 it takes more than 200,000 VC to get your player to an 80+ rating

SATAN
06-12-2023, 08:45 PM
2k's been better since 2008 but what annoys me about it is that it's a GRIND to level up your player in MyCareer mode.

2k19 - I used to play a game most days, got to 98 and then they shut the servers down. I play offline now and am only 96...2kNINETEEN...Completely ridiculous. Worst game company ever.

kawhileonard2
06-12-2023, 10:14 PM
By 2005 NBA 2K was much better.

Rake2204
06-14-2023, 12:43 PM
I've been playing 2K since NBA 2K2. Back then I figured there'd be no way 2K could ever toppled Live in terms of popularity. The zeitgeist was just too strong in Live's favor, even if I thought 2K was cranking out the better game. At times I kind of miss underdog 2K, when it was really just about creating the best basketball simulation while signing underground musical acts (MF DOOM, Little Brother, Aesop Rock, Hieroglyphics) and utilizing bold marketing techniques (the $20 release in '04-05).

I didn't watch the half-hour video in the original post but it sort of felt like NBA Live just shot itself in the foot. For a while, it seemed like 2K forced them to play catch-up a little bit and we had a few years where 2K and Live were both cranking out solid simulations. But then the wheels just fell off EA at some point (guessing wild mismanagement and ill-advised developmental decisions) and before we knew, 2K has become the new Live (in terms of market sway and popularity).

Do you remember NBA Showdown '94? I hated that game, lol.I played that game to death. Awful replay value today though. I can pick up and play Super Mario Bros. 3 and still have a blast. Trying to play NBA Showdown '94 is almost torture. So slow, no moves, purely robotic. Loved the signature dunks and ability to shatter the backboard though.

To answer the question. At one point, 2K began selling their basketball and football games for $19.99. As opposed to EA Sports price of $39.99. People took a chance on it. And for about 3 years they did this. Eventually, 2K not only gained popularity, but also an allegiance. So much that people stopped buying Live altogether. Then, once they got a following, they raised their price back up again.Great time in 2K gaming, though I think the $20 price tag only lasted a year (for the '05 season with NFL 2K, NHL 2K5, and NBA 2K5... and maybe MLB 2K5).

2K dropped a bomb on the sports gaming world that summer and I'm still not sure I've seen anything like it since. There was already hype surrounding NFL 2K5's release after a great showing with 2K4. The leaked media featuring Terrell Owens in an Eagles uni came out looking great and everyone's interest was piqued. Then, out of nowhere, 2K randomly announced they were releasing the game a month early (undercutting Madden in a massive way). Then, just as wild, they announced they were releasing what'd turn out to be one of the greatest football games of all-time for $20. Has to be one of the boldest gaming marketing strategies of all-time.

Unfortunately, they were victims of their own success. The game went over so well that it prompted EA to panic into inducing exclusive rights discussions with all major American sports leagues. They bought up the NFL rights that very year and there was fear for a while that they'd snatch the NBA rights too but the NBA opted to keep their options diversified.

Anyone play MLB The Show? I've been intrigued for a while but haven't pulled the trigger.Amazing game if you're even vaguely interested in baseball. I'd fallen away from MLB for the better part of the past decade but when The Show came to XBox I'd heard so many great things that I couldn't help but give it a shot. It's easily one of the greatest sports games I've ever played.

Contrary to basketball, which always has so many moving parts all the time, The Show seems like it's just about perfected the look and feel of the game. Long time Show gamers and baseball purists can absolutely find faults but for me, it's nearly sports gaming perfection.

Kblaze8855
06-14-2023, 12:51 PM
I had not played 2k for a couple years till this past weekend. Awful camera angle and the players looked cartoonish to me. It’s like the graphics got worse. And they still don’t know how to program a jumping tall player. Yao Ming still out there going arm pit high to the rim.