PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Nikola Jokic vs. 1999 Tim Duncan

Lebron23
06-13-2023, 03:22 PM
Who was the better player?? Both the Nuggets and Spurs defeated an 8th seed team in the NBA Finals

Tim Duncan 1999 NBA Finals Stats

27.4 ppg, 14 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.0 spg, 2.2 bpg

Nikola Jokic 2023 NBA Finals Stats

30.2 ppg, 14 rpg, 7.2 apg, 0.8 bpg, 1.4 bpg, 0.8 spg

Spurs m8
06-13-2023, 07:37 PM
Who cares....both won REAL rings...

Unlike your hero

FultzNationRISE
06-13-2023, 07:46 PM

Unlike your hero

Hey m8. How are you pal?

Would you mind stepping into this deserted back alley with me so I can have a word with you?

Lebron23
06-13-2023, 09:40 PM

Unlike your hero

You are melting down so hard. You F*cking puto

kawhileonard2
06-13-2023, 11:10 PM

Unlike your hero

This

bdonovan
06-14-2023, 04:39 AM
I also think of them playing head to head. Jokic would have a hard time with Duncan's footwork in the post. But Duncan would have a hard time keeping Jokic from backing him down. Jokic showed his weight advantage against Adebayo, who is a big dude himself (255 lbs), but gives up 30 lbs to Jokic. Jokic constantly backed Adebayo down. Duncan was reportedly 250 lbs, he would have the same problems as Adebayo.

plowking
06-14-2023, 05:17 AM
Jokic is the better individual player.

Full Court
06-14-2023, 06:52 AM
The 2023 Lakers would have maded it to the finals if they would have wonned four more games against the Nuggets.

JohnMax
06-14-2023, 07:35 AM
1999 Spurs and it's not even close.

No one is scrambling to stop Denver Nuggets from becoming a dynasty but they did everytime Spurs won a championship.

1999 Spurs win championship. Phil Jackson comes out of retirement to coach Lakers.
2003 Spurs win championship. Lakers form a superteam with Malone and Payton.
2005 Spurs win championship. NBA punishes Detroit by making sure they never get to another Finals.
2007 Spurs win championship. NBA punishes Cleveland by making sure Lebron goes to Miami first before winning championships.
2014 Spurs win championship. NBA punishes Miami by making Lebron go back to Cleveland.

Duffy Pratt
06-14-2023, 03:41 PM
It’s kind of a silly comparison. They just don’t play head to head. Remember that the thing the Lakers “found” in game one was putting Rui on Joker to let AD protect the rim. So what would the Spurs have done? Do you put Robinson on Joker and let Duncan protect the rim, or vice versa. With the Spurs, this strategy would likely be potent over a longer series. Gordon is gonna have to go out to the three point line for the series, and will have nightmares on D. On the other hand, the Nuggets have a decided advantage at the guard position. And Porter v. Sean Elliot is probably a wash. It would have been a fun series to watch, and I have no idea who would win, but I would lean Spurs.

ShawkFactory
06-14-2023, 04:13 PM
These guys are really a great comparison. Of course Jokic does some things better and Duncan did some things better but their overall approach to the game and style as leaders and people are very similar.

Carbine
06-14-2023, 06:38 PM
I also think of them playing head to head. Jokic would have a hard time with Duncan's footwork in the post. But Duncan would have a hard time keeping Jokic from backing him down. Jokic showed his weight advantage against Adebayo, who is a big dude himself (255 lbs), but gives up 30 lbs to Jokic. Jokic constantly backed Adebayo down. Duncan was reportedly 250 lbs, he would have the same problems as Adebayo.

If Adebayo is 250 than Duncan is 300.

Reggie43
06-14-2023, 07:23 PM

Duncan was stronger, bigger and a much better post defender compared to Adebayo so he would obviously be a better matchup defensively on Jokic.

ArbitraryWater
06-14-2023, 07:28 PM
Jokic easily.

1999 Timmy wasnt at his best yet.

j3lademaster
06-14-2023, 07:29 PM
2007 Spurs win championship. Ref is literally arrested for fixing a series in the Spurs' favor.
ftfy

Reggie43
06-14-2023, 07:32 PM
The matchup I would have wanted to see is 2023 Jokic vs 97 or 98 Karl Malone, a crafty, strong and dirty defender that would have made him work and earn his points.

Carbine
06-14-2023, 07:42 PM
A lot of Jokic points don't come off the initial defender though. So.many pick and rolls featuring him that he could be switched on, he could pop out to 3 pt land where nobody is around him off that action, he could dive to the hoop where it's catch and finish.

Jokic game isn't about going 1 vs 1 post up ISOs.

j3lademaster
06-14-2023, 07:42 PM
It's funny, I've never seen anyone call Bam 'small' before until this series, where Jokic made him look that way. Bam is the same size as Horford and Timelord, who I never heard mentioned about their lack of size, but I promise you if the Celtics were in the finals the announcers will be saying it.

Jokic went through the gauntlet when it comes to defensive centers, what more do people want?

j3lademaster
06-14-2023, 07:46 PM
A lot of Jokic points don't come off the initial defender though. So.many pick and rolls featuring him that he could be switched on, he could pop out to 3 pt land where nobody is around him off that action, he could dive to the hoop where it's catch and finish. Nobody leaves Jokic open when he pops out to 3. Not intentionally, anyway.

Jokic game isn't about going 1 vs 1 post up ISOs.Of course not, this isn't 1994 where you get a few seconds to go 1 on 1 in the post. Teams are too good at eating up space and helping now.

Reggie43
06-14-2023, 07:46 PM
It's funny, I've never seen anyone call Bam 'small' before until this series, where Jokic made him look that way. Bam is the same size as Horford and Timelord, who I never heard mentioned about their lack of size, but I promise you if the Celtics were in the finals the announcers will be saying it.

Jokic went through the gauntlet when it comes to defensive centers, what more do people want?

What you call centers would have been power forwards in a different era so Bam is definitely small compared to the best bigmen in nba history.

Micku
06-15-2023, 12:37 AM
A lot of Jokic points don't come off the initial defender though. So.many pick and rolls featuring him that he could be switched on, he could pop out to 3 pt land where nobody is around him off that action, he could dive to the hoop where it's catch and finish.

Jokic game isn't about going 1 vs 1 post up ISOs.

Yeah his game isn't based upon post up iso 1v1. But he is the best at that too in the game. He has the most efficient and generate the most points per possession post up iso game in the past 10 years by a center.

It's crazy man. He generated 1.22 ppp (the most in the league), with 5.2 possessions (the most in the league), the FGA was 3.7 (the most in the league), the FGM 2.4 (the most in the league).

Basically, he did the most iso post up, generate the most points from the iso post up, took the most shots from the iso post up, and was the most efficient. He is the best post up player in the league.

And he generates the most points per possession in the post than anybody since we kept track of it officially. It's crazy.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up?SeasonType=Regular+Season&SeasonYear=2022-23

But if his game was in the 90s, he would take more shots there.

Gougou
06-15-2023, 01:08 AM
2023 Jokic.

I think 2003 Duncan is the one who could have a better argument against Joker, he avged like 24 Pts, 17 Reb, 5.3 assists, 5.3 blocks (This is the most crucial stat), he had worst supporting cast than Joker.